EZ Hero 3.4 released, EZ Hero 3.5 in progress

Started by abenavides, April 30, 2014, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yell0w_lantern

Well, I was just wondering if the power names and the hero name go to the strings file so an in-game character would not end up with something like "bullet_extra_electrify" showing up rather than "electrify".

A mod? Sounds exciting.  I'm getting ready to put one on 4 Shared myself - a character replacement mod like in the early days.
Yellow Lantern smash!

abenavides

Sounds cool YL. I'll keep an eye out for your mod.

To my testers - any new bugs to report? Or is this now releasable?

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, I have a final paper, and a final exam that I have to finish this weekend, so I didn't get much testing done. But on the plus side, I finally found the box with my game disks, so hopefully I can be a little more thorough now.

spydermann93

Quote from: abenavides on June 02, 2014, 02:44:24 AMTo my testers - any new bugs to report? Or is this now releasable?

I've been making several hero files out of this tool (most of the avengers, actually), and I haven't seen any issues.

So, the :ffvstr: aspect of the tool works just fine.

I haven't really tampered with the "Send Hero to DAT", though.  I think Hoss was the one testing that out the most.

hoss20

I'm sorry, Alex, RL has been cropping up. I'm still receiving the "alert: Failed to load character def," error message after performing the Batch Send to Dat function, then trying to run FFVTTR and/or open CTool2. Just to minimize other issues, I did use the standard dats and tried to open the original game exe file, not FFX.

abenavides

You mentioned you had a way to correct the error after it occurred.
What was it exactly?
It might provide a clue to what's happening.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

hoss20

I had mentioned the first time that I went into FFEdit and resaved my characters.dat, although I didn't try it this time. I did go back before posting this and tried my "solution" again and it worked. It does appear that the Objects, Powers, and Res.dat files are coming through okay in the process, as all of my heroes are now showing up under Heroes and Custom in Character Selection in game with all of their respective data.

BentonGrey

A string entry component would actually be super helpful for me.  M25's add to .dat tool does that, creating a generic set of string entries for any added character and power.  If I could do that without launching the game, I could move a little quick with some stages of mods.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

abenavides

Sounds easy enough.
Does it just create a text file for you to cut & paste or does it put it into the strings.txt?

Can you post a sample of something it might generate?
www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

It just puts it into the strings.txt.  Let me see if I can find any I haven't already filled in...

Quoteradioactive heat radiation_01, heat radiation
radioactive heat radiation_desc_01, heat radiation description
radioactive irradiating beam_01, irradiating beam
radioactive irradiating beam_desc_01, irradiating beam description
radioactive radiation beam_01, radiation beam
radioactive radiation beam_desc_01, radiation beam description
radioactive radioactive blast_01, radioactive blast
radioactive radioactive blast_desc_01, radioactive blast description
radioactive radioactive blow_01, radioactive blow
radioactive radioactive blow_desc_01, radioactive blow description
radioactive radioactive flesh_01, radioactive flesh
radioactive radioactive flesh_desc_01, radioactive flesh description
radioactive radioactive slam_01, radioactive slam
radioactive radioactive slam_desc_01, radioactive slam description
radioactive radioactive wave_01, radioactive wave
radioactive radioactive wave_desc_01, radioactive wave description
radioactive visible radiation_01, visible radiation
radioactive visible radiation_desc_01, visible radiation description
radioactive_01, radioactive
radioactive_desc2_01, radioactive bio
radioactive_desc_01, radioactive short description
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

abenavides

OK just added this feature. Here's what it did after running my Flash hero file through it:
flash_01, flash
flash_desc_01, flash short description
flash_desc_02, flash bio
flash flash punch_01, flash punch
flash flash punch_desc_01, flash punch description
flash flash fists_01, flash fists
flash flash fists_desc_01, flash fists description
flash flash whirlwind_01, flash whirlwind
flash flash whirlwind_desc_01, flash whirlwind description
flash flash spin_01, flash spin
flash flash spin_desc_01, flash spin description
flash flash charge_01, flash charge
flash flash charge_desc_01, flash charge description
flash flash sprint_01, flash sprint
flash flash sprint_desc_01, flash sprint description
flash invisibility_01, invisibility
flash invisibility_desc_01, invisibility description
flash molecular control_01, molecular control
flash molecular control_desc_01, molecular control description
flash speed force aura_01, speed force aura
flash speed force aura_desc_01, speed force aura description
www.alexff.com

abenavides

Quote from: hoss20 on June 02, 2014, 06:08:45 AM
I had mentioned the first time that I went into FFEdit and resaved my characters.dat, although I didn't try it this time. I did go back before posting this and tried my "solution" again and it worked. It does appear that the Objects, Powers, and Res.dat files are coming through okay in the process, as all of my heroes are now showing up under Heroes and Custom in Character Selection in game with all of their respective data.

hoss20, I've tried with both FF and FFv3R (Clean installs) and can't reproduce the problem.
I've been able to send a hero file to DAT without that msg popping up.

I've also tried both Single and Batch Send to DAT.

Can you make it happen whenever you want? Are you using a specific hero file that seems to cause it?
Not saying there's no bug, just that I can't cause it to happen.
www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

Awesome Alex, that's a really nice feature to have! :D
God Bless

hoss20

Alex, to be clear; the "alert: Failed to load character def," error does not pop up when performing the Send to Dat function. The function appears to perform just fine and I get the "success" message at the end of the process. The error occurs after performing the function and then trying to open either the game or CTool. I've gone through and deleted any new hero files I made while testing earlier versions of the updated tool in case they were causing the problem. The error message still shows up. If you are able to open the game or CTool after performing the function, then you may have to have one of the other guys try the Batch Send to Dat, as I've obviously messed something up in my hero files over the years. I can't pinpoint a specific hero file causing the problem as when I perform the Individual Send to Dat, I haven't had any problems opening the game or CTool.

In trying to perform my own troubleshooting, I encountered another problem. I thought that I might have a hero file or two that were for FF1 and this was causing a problem doing the Send to Dat for FFVTTR with a few FF1 hero files stuck in there. When I tried to perform the Batch Convert Hero Files function, I received this error:
   Run-time error '13'
   Type mismatch

The error occurs whether I choose "Convert All" or "Convert Only Selected" and if I try to convert to either FFVTTR or FF1.

abenavides

hoss20, yep, I understand that.
What I am doing to look for the bug is sending a hero file to DAT (tried both single and batch methods).
Then, I open up FFEDIT and go to the Characters tab (all the tabs actually).
I also run the game.

Have done this for both FF and FFv3R.
Have tried it with FFX3.3 version of DATS as well.

1 last thing to check might be if you send a FF hero file to a FFv3R dat and then try to open it. (will check that when I get time)

I'll look into the batch conversion bug you brought up.
www.alexff.com

hoss20

I'm sorry if I was redundant for no reason. Since you're trying to fix this thing, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. I've got over 600 hero files (more than some, less than others), so it will take a while to look through them to try to find the culprit(s). If one of the other guys can perform the Batch Send to Dat with no issues, then I wouldn't worry about what's going on with me. You've had it work with no problem, so I'm sure it's something on my end and honestly, if I'm going to do a Send to Dat for a mod, I'll know the hero files I'm going to use and can better ensure that they aren't broken.

abenavides

No worries, I just wanted to let you know I am checking it that way.
I'll try the FF hero file to FFv3R DAT thing to see if that's the problem.

Hopefully it is, because then the solution is "don't do that" :)

Will get batch convert fixed too.
www.alexff.com

abenavides

OK I :
- Found the bug in batch convert and fixed it.

- Tried sending a FF hero file to a FFv3R dat and it worked fine. (no error msg). Maybe a hero file corrupted by previous versions of ezhero cause the problem?
Since there is an easy fix for it (save the characters.dat again), I'm not going to sweat this one too much. If someone can send me steps to reproduce, then I'll look into it more. But otherwise, I'm going ahead with release (there's always v3.5 to fix things! : )

Sending 1 more build - this has the batch fix and the strings output thing that YL and Benton requested.
www.alexff.com

hoss20

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I'm still having the Batch Send to Dat issue which I believe we've chalked up to a corrupt file somewhere in my Heroes.

The Batch Convert Hero Files works fine now.

abenavides

When you fix the problem by saving characters.dat , can you tell when it comes up again?
(ex. using a specific hero file, etc)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Hey Alex, sorry for the late reply, I'm trying to set up the Hero Files for my Marvel Legacy Characters, but EZ Hero doesn't seem to want to acknowledge Irrational's Meshes (Microwave, Supercollider, Etc.). Or at least the Data Path to them.

Cyber Burn

Sorry, I should have specified that this is a  :ffvstr: issue.

abenavides

By "not acknowledge" , what do you mean?
They're not coming up in the list?

(They wouldn't unless you've extracted them)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

What I think is happening (And I could be very wrong), is that in  :ff:, all the Art Files are located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art

Both the "Library" that houses Irrational's built-in Meshes, and the "Custom Characters" Files are located in the same "Art" Folder.

In  :ffvstr:, the "Library" that houses Irrational's built-in Meshes is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art

Whereas, the "Library" that houses the custom Meshes like batman or Iron Man is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art

So no matter what I do, I can't get EZ Hero to read the path I want: C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\characters\microwave

It keeps reverting to: library\characters\microwave

And this is with all of Irrational's Meshes extracted to where they are supposed to be. If you want, I could send you the Hero File that I am using if that would help.

abenavides

ah, I see.

I think you're basically right, but not sure how to resolve.

The issue if that a hero file only stores the "library\characters\" part , not the whole path.

I'll have to think about a way around this.

www.alexff.com

abenavides

I checked your hero file and it looks like what I'd expect - it saves "library\characters\microwave.nif".

I tried creating a whole new character in FFv3r itself, based it on microwave and sure enough, I get "library\characters\microwave.nif" in the hero file.

So, not sure I'm understanding the issue. What is it you want it to do instead?

I'm going to go ahead and release 3.4, just to get it out there at last.

I can look at updating it if you need something else (and/or if hoss20 or someone else pinpoints the steps to cause the characters.dat thing)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

While the Path you posted is correct: library\characters\microwave.nif

There are actually 2 separate Paths that contain the "Library" Folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library

Basically, when you create a Hero File for a Character using the Microwave mesh in-game, it creates the Hero File using the Path in the "Data" Library. If you then open that Hero File in EZ Hero, it shows the Path you posted (library\characters\microwave.nif), but EZ Hero assumes that the Path used is the "Custom" Library. This prevents you from using EZ Hero from making changes to that Hero File's Skin or Mesh (If you wanted to transfer that Hero File to another Irrational Mesh).

It's not a major issue, I don't think a lot of people really use Irrational's in-game Meshes, but it is a glitch that I thought was worth mentioning.

Also, when I hit the "Send to text" function, I get the following error message, and then EZ Hero crashes.

abenavides

ok, gotcha. the skin/mesh lists are not accurate because it's looking for items in Custom (instead of Data).

Haven't tried this myself, but could you just change the ffv3r art path in Settings to point to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Data\Art
instead of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on June 11, 2014, 01:29:19 AM
ok, gotcha. the skin/mesh lists are not accurate because it's looking for items in Custom (instead of Data).

Haven't tried this myself, but could you just change the ffv3r art path in Settings to point to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Data\Art
instead of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art

Ok, in the Mesh selection area, if I change "Custom" to "Data", then Irrational's Meshes will show up. If I click on it a second time, then the Skins will show up for the mesh I want.

This works for me.  :thumbup:

Murdock

Ok. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

I tried using this with one of my hero files. The hero file had "300 percenter", "Cloak of Shadows", and "DeCloak" set with "low" ep. But when i opened the hero file with EZ Hero, it had the ep set at "none". So i try editing it using EZ Hero, correcting the "none" to "low" ep for all 3 powers and saved the hero file. When i open the hero file in the game though, the ep changed to "medium". Changed it back to "low", checked with EZ Hero again, and it's once again back to "none".
Taking a break due to RL issues.