EZ Hero 3.4 released, EZ Hero 3.5 in progress

Started by abenavides, April 30, 2014, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

I do see the issue with the files you sent me. But not sure why yet.
I created 2 completely new heroes in the game (made them flesh and metal).
Opened the in Ezhero a nd changed them to Frozen and Fire.
Went back to the game and they're Frozen and Fire.

Strange.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

abenavides

ok after a few hrs looking at hero files with a hex editor (fun  :wacko:) - think I see the issue.
Some special characters missing from hero files which ezhero creates from scratch.
That's why it seemed fine to me , I was testing with hero files created by FF and FFv3R.

Working to fix now. Hopefully this will take care of it.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

abenavides

OK, Release Candidate 3 is now with the testers.
Thanks for finding lots of good stuff, it will make it a better app.
www.alexff.com

spydermann93

Hey Alex,

Tested out the new tool you dropped by and something very strange happens.

When I tried making a new character for :ffvstr: in the Hero Tool in order to see if the material thing worked, I couldn't save the new character.  I got this message:

"Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range"

I tried loading up a character that I made in-game, and the tool works like it should; materials change and everything seems fine.

What's also strange is if I open up a character that I made in-game and save it, I can make a new character without the error above, but the new character will have all of the other character's powers when loaded in-game (didn't appear initially when being made in the Hero Tool), save for the first power.

EDIT: Also, when opening up a character that I already created, it erases the first power of the character.

abenavides

Hmmm. OK ...

Problem #1 - Creating a new FFv3R character.
Can you let me know how you set it up (what stats, attribs, etc).
I didn't see this so most be some combination of things I haven't tried. (let me know especially material, weight, voice, ai)

Problem #2
NOt sure what you mean when you said "I open up a character that I made in-game and save it, I can make a new character without the error above" - do you mean that you use Save As to create a new character which is a copy of that one? Or something else?

www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Are any of the other Testers using Windows 8.1, 64-Bit? I still cannot even open a Hero File. The Hero Tool opens, but as soon as I hit the "Open" button, the Tool closes.

abenavides

Are you getting any error msg? (same one as before?)
Any option to press a button for debug info?

www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on May 11, 2014, 03:20:00 AM
Are you getting any error msg? (same one as before?)
Any option to press a button for debug info?

Unfortunately, no.

Regardless of how I try to to open a Hero File, the Hero Tool immediately shuts down, and I am receiving no error messages now.

I have tried:

File>Open Hero File

Ctrl + O

"Open"

Regardless of which one I try, as soon as I do, the program closes immediately. No error message, and no debug options.

I have un-installed and re-installed EZ Hero multiple times. I have restarted my PC multiple times. I am completely clueless as to why this is happening, because at least with an error message, I would at least have something to give you.

hoss20

I'm sorry I didn't get on here sooner. I see that you tackled the spacing in the attrib.ini file for the attributes you corrected.

In attempting the Send to Dat function, it appears to work fine for individual hero files, but when using the Batch Send to Dat, I get this error message:

Run-time error '424'
Object required

spydermann93

Quote from: abenavides on May 11, 2014, 02:26:55 AMProblem #1 - Creating a new FFv3R character.
Can you let me know how you set it up (what stats, attribs, etc).
I didn't see this so most be some combination of things I haven't tried. (let me know especially material, weight, voice, ai)

I kept the name "newhero", the name given by the editor when creating a hero.
I did not change the attributes at all (they were all kept at "1").
I changed the AI to "Generic Hero".
I kept the material as "Flesh" for the character, but all of the other materials yielded the same result.
I also do not add any powers.

Quote from: abenavides on May 11, 2014, 02:26:55 AMProblem #2
NOt sure what you mean when you said "I open up a character that I made in-game and save it, I can make a new character without the error above" - do you mean that you use Save As to create a new character which is a copy of that one? Or something else?

Sorry, about that. I'll try to describe it better :P

I made a character in-game (through the built-in character tool found in :ffvstr:), named it, and saved it.  I quit the game and then I load the EZHero Tool.  Once the hero tool is open, I select "Open" and open the hero I just created in-game.  The hero file opens and everything is correct (the moves, the attributes, everything).

Now, after I made sure everything was correct, I click "Save As" and save the hero file.  It doesn't matter if I renamed the file as a new character or just saved over the old file, but after reopening the file after saving brings up the character, but the first power in the power list is gone and the "AI" field is blank.

For example, my Electro has 3 powers: a melee (power 1), a beam (power 2), and a passive (power 3).  I made him in-game, made him how I wanted and everything worked fine when play-testing him.  I then quit the game, open up EZHero, open the hero file, and I can see all of his powers and everything looks great.  I click "Save As" without changing anything (again, changing the hero files name does not matter; I get the same result either way), and without exiting EZHero, I reopen the file.

After reopening the file, Electro (the "Save As" Electro) had 2 powers, with the first being blank: <blank> (power "1"), a beam (power "2"), and a passive (power "3").

Similarly, if I were to open Electro much in the same process above, save him, and then create a new hero file (not reopening the Electro file), the new hero will have all of Electro's powers, except for the first power, much like the "Save As" Electro had.

I hope that makes a bit more sense to you.

abenavides

Thx for the bug reports, have fixed a few.

FIXED
1. hoss20 - Crash on Batch send to DAT
2. spydermann93 - Crash on save "newhero"

STILL TO DO
1. spydermann93 - Power , AI missing on load
2. Cyber Burn - crash on File Open on Win 8.1 (Must be something I need to do differently on Win8.1, will try to get hands on Win8.1 machine today to test)
www.alexff.com

abenavides

OK, think the missing power thing is fixed.
Now looking at the Win 8.1 thing.

I loaded on another laptop and it seemed to work fine.
Just realized that laptop is on Win8.0 not Win8.1, so upgrading it to 8.1 now.
Will try it again after it's ready.
www.alexff.com

abenavides

Just took another look at this after upgrade to Win8.1.
EZ Hero works fine (I can open a hero file and save it)

Not really sure what the issue is.
Can you post your AFFHERO.INI file so I can chk the paths?

Is anyone else on Win8.1?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on May 11, 2014, 07:30:51 PM
Just took another look at this after upgrade to Win8.1.
EZ Hero works fine (I can open a hero file and save it)

Not really sure what the issue is.
Can you post your AFFHERO.INI file so I can chk the paths?

Is anyone else on Win8.1?

Spoiler

[Freedom Force]
Setup=YES
HeroPath=C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes
MeshPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art
FFv3RMeshPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art
DATPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data

BatchDestination=C:\

The only other option that I can think might be a problem, is that since I have had this computer, I have not actually used either FF game to create a Hero File. Since I do not have access to my game disks, that is something that I cannot currently do. But I have created Hero Files for FFvt3R using the Hero Tool (V3.4) which I cannot open, and I have a few Hero Files that I created for FFvt3R from in-game from when I had my previous computer (Windows Vista), which I also cannot open.

Sorry to be causing such grief Alex, this definitely was not my intention.

abenavides

Found a couple of minor glitches on my own, which I've now fixed.
I also decided to revise all the power screens (something I had been putting off for a future version 'cause it looked like a ton of pain). Wasn't so bad and I wrapped them up in a day.

Fixing one more thing - Cyber Burn's issue with Win8.1 - I can't duplicate so may be hard to trace. Instead, I'm just coding my own pick hero file form. That should hopefully be it.

Once I'm done, I'll send out Release Candidate 5 to the testers.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

:thumbup: I can finally open a Hero File!!! You are the man Alex!!!

hoss20

I'm still getting the same error message when using the Batch Send to Dat function. I've tried it with setting a new path as well as just leaving the default directories alone.

In checking out your new Power screens, I noticed that for my heroes with Passive Defenses that have I set as Always Active, the check box is not checked. When I view the Active Defense in game, though, it does show correctly.

I have also noticed that with hero files that I have saved in the tool and then check out in game; the Prestige values are incorrect. The totals for each section; Abilities, Attributes, and Powers, show correctly, but the grand total does not. If I make an adjustment to a Power or delete an Attribute and then add it back in, the total adds up properly. I have come across a few hero files that show up with different values for Powers than I had originally set for them after I have saved them in the Hero Tool. The Prestige Value issue isn't that big of a deal, but I don't know if it may have something to do with some underlying issue that may be more troublesome. It's really only noticeable to me because I am going through all of my hero files and putting in the Concrete material where appropriate and also adjusting the weights for most of my files.

P.S. Everything is coming along very nicely and I really like the drop down for choosing skins.

abenavides

I just fixed the PassiveD and BatchDat issues (I must have overwritten my previous fix to Batch DAT as I definitely thought I'd fixed it).

re: prestige totals - Hero files are funny things - there's lots of empty space in them and they can be quite forgiving, but sometimes , you have 1 extra value somewhere and they either don't load or give you strange results.

I went through the file structures byte by byte recently while fixing material bugs (even used hex file compare tools to make sure) and made changes so I feel good that this new version of ezhero produces much more game-accurate versions of hero files than old versions.

Do you think the files you mention could possibly have been
a) branded by FFX
b) edited by some other hero tool or old version of ezhero
c) converted by an old ezhero from ff to ff3r or vice-versa
d) all of the above

Any of those things may have added stray values that could lead to weird results.

If you get a chance, try it with a new hero file (created in either ezhero 3.4 or the game itself) and see if the totals look OK. I'm inclined to not look into it more unless it can be shown that ezhero 3.4 is causing it.

Thanks for the report! And thanks to all the testers, you've definitely found things I wouldn't have and that makes it a much better app!

Hoping to use it myself soon for some mod work.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

When my Vista crashed, my Tech Guy was able to salvage my Custom Characters Folders for both games, so I have a bit of a different set up than most people. When I put my Custom Characters onto this PC, I never got around to merging my old files with the ones that I had started on this PC. So now I have 2 "Library" folders for FFvt3R (Shown in the first pic).

Even though I had lost all my Hero Files when my old PC crashed, I still had the ones that were in the Zip Files that I released with my Skopes/Skins for my "Marvel Legacy" Characters.

So the cool part for me, I can use the Newest EZ Hero to open those Hero Files. Plus, if I copy and paste the Mesh Path for the character in question from my "Library_2" Folder, and paste it into the Mesh Path in EZ Hero, EZ Hero will acknowledge that File (Skope/Skin/Etc.).

These Characters were created in-game on my old PC (Windows Vista), and it appears that everything I put into the Hero File is there. The only thing that I can't do, is try them out in-game because I still don't have my disks.

The "Send to DAT" option also seems to work with my set up. The only thing that, so far, does not seem to work for me with my "Library_2" set up, is the Skin drop down feature. However, I can copy the name of an alternate Skin and paste it where the Skin name goes, and that does seem to work fine. But just for clarification, the Skin drop down feature does work when the Mesh is in the "Standard" Path.

Now, as I said, I can't try the updated Hero File, or check the DAT File in-game yet, but at least in EZ Hero, I am getting the result that I want.

I really want to thank you Alex, I know you put A LOT of extra effort into getting this to work for me, and I really can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it.

hoss20

Alex, in answer to your questions:

a) branded by FFX   Yes
b) edited by some other hero tool or old version of ezhero    I had used MrBrdo's tool for any hero files that use the Air, Cloth, or Concrete material and to set individual weights for the heroes. I have quite a few of these.
c) converted by an old ezhero from ff to ff3r or vice-versa   For any hero files that I created in MrBrdo's tool, I went ahead and converted in yours (version 3.3) to FFVTTR. If I recall correctly, this was to fix the old fixed path issue that was discovered while you were doing the initial builds for EZHero

So, in essence, the answer was "d) all of the above".

Since I'll be going through all of my hero files and updating them anyway, double checking the little things isn't that big of an issue. I just wanted to make sure that what I was coming across wouldn't be an issue with new hero files.

Cyber Burn

Ok, I've been experimenting with EZ Hero a little more and found a couple of things.

First, even though the Skin drop down menu seems to be working for my existing Hero Files, when I try to create a new Hero File with EZ Hero (For  :ffvstr:, since that's pretty much all I use), the Skin drop down menu does not seem to be working.

Second, if I use EZ Hero to create a Hero File, even though I specify that it's for  :ffvstr: when I save it. If I close EZ Hero, and re-open the Hero File that I just created, it shows that it is for  :ff:. I am able to then change it back to  :ffvstr: and save it again. This time, if I close EZ Hero, and re-open it, the Hero File will show that it is for  :ffvstr:.

Once I re-save the Hero File I just created as a  :ffvstr: Hero File, then I can get the Skin drop down menu to work.

Also, when I am using EZ Hero to create a new Hero File, I have only used Meshes that are in the standard path so far, I haven't tried creating one from any of the Meshes in my other Folders.

hoss20

I just wanted to say that I am able to replicate Cyber's issue and I am using Win7, in case you might be thinking that his problem is Win8 specific. Could it be that because the hero file isn't saving properly and shows as FF1, that the skin drop down isn't functioning because I haven't set up an FF Art Folder directory in Set Up or Tools-->Settings? Like Cyber, I only use FFVTTR.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: hoss20 on May 18, 2014, 07:45:33 PM
I just wanted to say that I am able to replicate Cyber's issue and I am using Win7, in case you might be thinking that his problem is Win8 specific. Could it be that because the hero file isn't saving properly and shows as FF1, that the skin drop down isn't functioning because I haven't set up an FF Art Folder directory in Set Up or Tools-->Settings? Like Cyber, I only use FFVTTR.

Even though I primarily use  :ffvstr:, I do have  :ff: installed (But that is primarily for Skoping purposes). As such, I did set up the FF Art Folder directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Art

I don't know if that's helpful though.

hoss20

My theory has been refuted! Curse you, Cyber Burn!  :angry:

But, actually, I imagine it helps Alex to know that you have an FF1 folder set up and it doesn't work for you either.

abenavides

Glad you can get to those hero files now, Cyber Burn!
It was a little extra code, but it also means I can more easily port this to a more modern dev tool in the future as I have less dependencies on external 32-bit code like COMDLG32.ocx now.

Hmmm, I do see the problem you and hoss20 mention on saving a ffv3r file the 1st tine. Will check it out. Thx!
www.alexff.com

hoss20

A couple of things:
1) It appears that the Batch Send to Dat function broke my Characters.dat file. When opening Character Tool2 and the original FFVTTR (not FFX), I receive the following error:
       "alert: Failed to load character def,"
    I went into FFEdit and opened up the characters.dat and resaved it. Everything opens fine now. I know that I don't have your latest fix for that function, but I figured I'd report this just in case.

2) I noticed a problem with the hero file I made when testing the issue that Cyber had when initially saving a new hero file to FFVTTR. It does not show up in my roster when checking characters in game. There is a blank spot at the top of my list, though. This occurs when a hero file isn't in the correct format, right? I remember this happening to me before. I double checked that hero file in the Hero Tool and it shows as FFVTTR. I know you are working on this also, but I wanted to share this in case it helps with fixing the problem.

abenavides

Hi,

1) Yes, might be related to the bug. I did see this last week on some DAT files I hadn't tried with EZHero, though. (was checking the JLA and the SuperPowers mods with the FFv3R Tools just for the heck of it) All the tabs worked except for Characters. I didn't know how to fix it, but will try what you did.

2) Yes this is due to different format. You will see a blank line where the file would have gone if it could have been read.
www.alexff.com

abenavides

OK - Latest build has been sent to everyone.

Fixes the format bug (FF or FFv3R)

Cyber re: Library2 - I'd have to look for it, but there likely is some code in there that is preventing "Library2" from working. I'm going to push that to a future version, because I have a feeling it will require a bunch of changes.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

In all honesty, the "Library_2" is not a big deal, my eventual goal is to eventually get everything back into one Library. I just really haven't had the time to make that happen yet. The only reason, I even mentioned it, was because I was just testing the capabilities of EZ Hero.

I don't know of anyone else who has mentioned having things set up like that, so even though support would be a plus, it isn't really necessary.

Cyber Burn

I just started playing with the new version, so I haven't delved too far in, but one thing that keeps occurring with Hero Files for  :ffvstr:, is that when I open them up, the name of the Skin comes up wrong. This occurs with both, Hero Files created with the current version of EZ Hero, and with Hero Files that had previously been created in game.

In this case, the Skin that should be seen is called "ML_Captain_America_V1", but EZ Hero changed the name to a non-existent Skin name.

Having a few other glitches with the Skin pull down, but unfortunately,  I'll have to address that when I have more time.