Captain America casting coming... Who's your Top 5?

Started by Shogunn2517, February 06, 2010, 03:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on March 09, 2010, 06:25:06 PM
Quote from: Gremlin on March 09, 2010, 05:04:08 PM
A guy at work told me Ben Afleck had been confirmed for the part of Cap. I had to go into the break room so I could let out my scream of fury without customers hearing. I am so glad it is not true.

I'm gonna punch him for scaring me like that though.

Silly face, Ben Affleck has said he'd never wear a costume again after he did Daredevil because it was a source of embarrassment for him.

And he for it. ;)  Heh, actually I never thought Daredevil was that bad.  Still, that guy from the Office is a joke, or at least he had better be. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

TheMarvell

my girlfriend was watching Grey's Anatomy, and I thought there might be some good choices there.

-Patrick Dempsey
-Eric Dane (played Multiple Man in X-Men 3)
-Justin Chambers

what do you think?

Shogunn2517

I remember thinking I liked Dane when I saw him in Valentine's Day.  But from the director they're going for someone under the age of 35, which would disqualify him and Dempsey.

I think I like Justin Chambers less than John Krasinski.

GhostMachine

Patrick Dempsey as Cap? HECK NO!!!

If we're considering actors too old for the part, how about Sean Patrick Flanery, Josh Holloway or Christian Kane?

Shogunn2517

UPDATE!!!

Spoiler
CAPTAIN AMERICA Cast-O-Rama!

Anticipation around the casting of the lead in Marvel's 'First Avenger: Captain America' continues to heat up with multiple stories erupting on the web about who is in and who is out.

First order of business. Comedian Dane Cook will not be playing Cap in the movie. The comedian apparently did go after the role and told his fans so on twitter. First he claimed that he had to get into top shape for the audition. When asked if he was serious he confirmed that he did audition but, "[Marvel] They might [be going] young."

Yes, Dane. That's why you didn't get the part. They're going young. No hard feelings?

Meanwhile, the Fox411 blog came out yesterday and all but said 'Office' actor John Krasinski is a lock for the role.

"John has read 4 times and is doing screen tests," unnamed source told Fox411.  "He has screen tested 2 times so far.  It's very likely that he will be the new Captain America.  He is a favorite among the key decision makers and has been asked to come back for more this week."

The source alleges Krasinski has read several times with prospective leading ladies.

But wait! The typically reliable Deadline.com tells a completely different story. There, former Variety MVP Micheal Fleming reports that Krasinski is out, as are most of the big seven candidates who blipped on everyone's radar a few weeks back.

Adding some credence to the Krasinski drop-out is the news that the actor just signed a two picture deal to appear in a romcom franchise called 'Something Borrowed' which starts filming this spring.

So, according to the Deadline report, the only two left standing from that list are Garrett Hedlund (seen this week in the super-cool 'Tron: Legacy' trailer) and Mike Vogel ('Cloverfield').

One new name Deadline is adding to the list is a C2F fave: Chris Evans. Fans know Evans from his scene stealing turn as Johnny Storm in the 'Fantastic Four' movies, not to mention the upcoming 'Losers'. We personally think Evans is a great actor with plenty of range and charisma. Check out his no-nonsense military man in Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine'. You won't even recognize him.

As seems to always be the case with the Marvel movies, money will be an issue. According to Deadline, the studio is looking for an actor to make a nine-movie commitment to playing the Star Spangled Avenger. Obviously 'Captain America' and 'The Avengers' are two of those films. Sequels would be two to four more. Presumably some cross-over action might occur as well. The starting salary for the 9 movie gig? A mere $300k.

'The First Avenger: Captain America' is slated to arrive in theaters on July 22, 2011.

What do you think, Maniacs? Where do you want Krasinski in this equation? What about Evans? Any other contenders who must be considered? Post your comments below...

Thanks to CaptainSigma and AntoBlueberry for the submission.
http://www.mania.com/captain-america-casting-update_article_121127.html

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Shogunn2517

Okay, don't laugh at me.

I watch the Young and the Restless.  Yes, I do.  Anyway, of the rumors of the names now linked to the role is Wilson Bethel, who also satisfied one of my earlier requsites playing a soldier "Q-Tip" in Generation Kill from HBO.  Watching him on both shows, I actually think he could pull off the mood that the character and film would demand, but I also think he'd have to bulk up tremendously.  The problem with him and some of the other announced candidates is the youth in their look.  They're looking for someone who can pass for a character in their mid 20's, just slightly older than fresh-faced soldiers 18 or 19 years old, but young enough to be taken seriously.  Bethel looks too young.

Hell, if I could pick a character from The Young and the Restless, I'd like to have seen Daniel Goddard(you'd know him from the Beastmaster TV series), but he wouldn't fit the age or American requirement they're looking for.

Evans???  Maybe, but I would have a hard time taking him seriously since he's hardly seen that way at all.

Midnite

I can see Chris Pine as Cap. Need to bulk up tho.

TheMarvell

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 10, 2010, 06:58:11 AM
Patrick Dempsey as Cap? HECK NO!!!

If we're considering actors too old for the part, how about Sean Patrick Flanery, Josh Holloway or Christian Kane?

what's wrong with Patrick Dempsey? I don't think he's any worse than John Krasinski...

as for age, why does the actor HAVE to actually be in that age group? They pick actors who are older for younger parts all the time. With that said I think Eric Dane could look the part, easily.

herodad1

my votes for JACK LELANNE! his super soldier juice is apples,carrots, and ginger.  :lol:

BentonGrey

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on March 11, 2010, 01:32:11 AM
Okay, don't laugh at me.

I watch the Young and the Restless.  Yes, I do.  Anyway, of the rumors of the names now linked to the role is Wilson Bethel, who also satisfied one of my earlier requsites playing a soldier "Q-Tip" in Generation Kill from HBO.  Watching him on both shows, I actually think he could pull off the mood that the character and film would demand, but I also think he'd have to bulk up tremendously.  The problem with him and some of the other announced candidates is the youth in their look.  They're looking for someone who can pass for a character in their mid 20's, just slightly older than fresh-faced soldiers 18 or 19 years old, but young enough to be taken seriously.  Bethel looks too young.

Hell, if I could pick a character from The Young and the Restless, I'd like to have seen Daniel Goddard(you'd know him from the Beastmaster TV series), but he wouldn't fit the age or American requirement they're looking for.

Evans???  Maybe, but I would have a hard time taking him seriously since he's hardly seen that way at all.
Emphasis added.

*Shakes head* :D
God Bless

Shogunn2517

UPDATE!

Is it Smith.... or Schmidt?

Spoiler
Weaving Circling Red Skull Role?
The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog reports that Marvel Studios are keen to recruit actor Hugo Weaving to be the ratzi villain The Red Skull in their 'First Avenger: Captain America' movie.

Reportedly the Marvel and Weaving camps are in the process of hashing out a deal. As is typical with the Marvel movies, a contract for Hugo would include a lower-than-average salary and possibly a sequel clause. So Heat Vision cautions that the deal is not locked at this point.

Furthermore, the Red Skull is a character who will likely have very few scenes (if any) where he's not in complete face make up, which is always a tough sell for actors (try getting Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon to keep their faces covered for a whole movie). But hey, it worked out for with Heath Ledger's Joker.

Weaving is, of course, a fan favorite ever since he exploded into the mainstream as the laconic Agent Smith in 'The Matrix'.

Director Joe Johnston is slated to roll cameras on the film this year.

lugaru

Ahh... for me Hugo Weaving is like the tiny version of Ron Pearlman, a great character/voice actor who does not get leading man roles because he does not look the part of a hollywood leading man.

If this turns out to be true I need to know how far in advance I can buy tickets.

Blitzgott

I'd like to see Aaron Eckhart on the role.

Cleft chin, all-american face, good actor, not too mainstream...

If he bulks up some, hand the man a shield 'cause he is ready to take the Nazi cause down a notch or two.

BentonGrey

Weaving is a great actor, and he can CERTAINLY do a villain of Skull's caliber...the only question is, can he do a German accent? :)
God Bless

lugaru

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 13, 2010, 12:04:10 AM
Weaving is a great actor, and he can CERTAINLY do a villain of Skull's caliber...the only question is, can he do a German accent? :)

I thought he made a very convincing and non offensive Elf in the Lord of the Rings series. Seriosly though I'm sure he can, I'm just wondering if the red skull will be campy and larger than life or understated. See Jigsaw in Punisher War Zone... I thought it was a great role but man was it played campy, althought it kind of worked. And if they cant get him they should go with Christoph Waltz, the creepy but charmingly evil natzi from Inglorious Basterds.

bat1987

Hugo Weaving would be great, but now that u mentioned Cristoph Waltz I can deffinitely see him doing this role.

Podmark

Quote from: lugaru on March 13, 2010, 04:53:30 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on March 13, 2010, 12:04:10 AM

I thought he made a very convincing and non offensive Elf in the Lord of the Rings series. Seriosly though I'm sure he can, I'm just wondering if the red skull will be campy and larger than life or understated. See Jigsaw in Punisher War Zone... I thought it was a great role but man was it played campy, althought it kind of worked. And if they cant get him they should go with Christoph Waltz, the creepy but charmingly evil natzi from Inglorious Basterds.

If they play the Skull as campy I will likely be very angry.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

style

The Ultimate Fan!

Shogunn2517

UPDATE!

Spoiler
CAPTAIN AMERICA Casting Phillipe, Tatum and Knightley in the mix?
The brouhaha over the casting of 'The First Avenger: Captain America' continues, only now it's expanded out to the lady parts.

First an update on our leading men:

Deadline.com reports that Marvel has approached Channing Tatum for the role. They say he very likely skipped the audition process since his recent turns in 'G.I.Joe' and 'Dear John' have positioned him as a bankable name. They're saying that, if Marvel advances the conversation with him, it'll be in the form of an offer for the role, not an audition.

At this point, however, they're not saying that an offer is on the table.

Meanwhile, the Motion Captured blog at Hitfix is saying that Ryan Philippe is also a contender. While they only cite anonymous sources, MTV Splash Page was able to confirm the news with Philippe at the SXSW festival yesterday.

"(I) actually am going in to meet on 'Captain America,' which is kind of cool," Phillippe told MTV. "After Superman, he was kind of my favorite."

So you can add Tatum and Philippe to the list of names which also includes Chris Evans, Mike Vogel, Garrett Hedlund  and Wilson Bethel.

Deadline.com has the scoop on Marvel's attempts to cast the female lead in the movie as well. According to their report, Marvel is looking for an English lass to play the love interest in the movie. Leading contenders are said to be Keira Knightley, Alice Eve and Emily Blunt. Fans will recall that Marvel had cast Blunt as the Black Widow in 'Iron Man 2', except a scheduling conflict caused her to drop out.

Deadline says the women are vying for the role of Peggy Carter, Cap's World War 2 era flame and aunt to his modern-day love interest Sharon Carter. However, a similar report at the Heat Vision blog says the role in question is that of Betsy Ross, who eventually becomes the costumed hero Golden Girl. Golden Girl is a member of The Invaders, who director Joe Johnston has previously said figure into the story.

Did I call it?

GogglesPizanno

At this point flip coin or throw a dart.... the results seem like they would be the same as this whole casting thing.

Kenn

My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

Uncle Yuan

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Shogunn2517

Well, there are now "multiple" sources pointing towards an offer being made.

My opinion?  He wouldn't be the worse choice.

BentonGrey

God Bless

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Gremlin

BentonGrey

God Bless