Captain America casting coming... Who's your Top 5?

Started by Shogunn2517, February 06, 2010, 03:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

http://www.mania.com/captain-america-casting-soon_article_120361.html

Casting for The First Avenger: Captain America is due within the next several weeks.  Of course there's no telling who they'd cast as of right now.  However, I'm sure we all have a good idea of who we would like to play the role of Steve Rodgers.  So would anyone have at least a top 5 that they'd like to see play the role?

Here's some inspiration:

5.  John Cena - One of a couple of molds I can see being casted in the role.  Cena, of course being from the WWE wouldn't be the first time a Hollywood blockbuster looked out of the box of Hollywood leading men to find someone from another form of entertainment to play a role.  He certainly has the build and has been broken in with several action movies produced by the WWE in recent years.

4.  James Badge Dale - Another mold of character actor I can see being casted in the role would be the kind of actor that has played  the soldier role.  Dale is probably best known for his work in the 3rd season of 24 and in The Departed, but he will also be starring in the upcoming miniseries The Pacific, the WWII Eastern Front answer to Band of Brothers.

3.  Eric Johnson - Johnson was one of my favorites to see if they were doing the casting several years ago.  Hot off of his role as Whitney in the premiere season of Smallville he was the title role in the Syfy series Flash Gordon and is young, good looking, blonde enough and looks as if he could get in such a role.  No really big knocks on him other than the luster on his name has worn off since Flash Gordon ended.

2.  Matt Damon - Now, if Joe Johnston wanted to go for the big time acting chops, Matt Damon is the one actor he can hardly fail with.  He can certain act and pull of a regretful, serious in command and control type of personality I'd see they'd take with the character.  He can do action well, the Bourne Trilogy certain showed this and he'd give the character, the movie and ensemble cast of the Avengers even more credibility.  Would be the safest idea for the role in my opinion.  Maybe not the best though.

1. Channing Tatum - Channing Tatum is young, good looking, a solid performer and despite being in a dreadful POS of a movie G.I.J.O.E. The Rise of Cobra, he did pull off the role of Duke, being a soldier, a leader who was believeable and likeable.  He has a good built that can be believable passed off as "peak human condition" and definitely has the leading male ability.  He's really hot in Hollywood these days.  He has a movie due out this month, a sequel to GI Joe has been announced and can draw a crowd.  In my opinion, he would not only be the best idea for casting the role, but it makes the most sense to me.

Thoughts?  Who would you like to see?

Mr. Hamrick

I'm squarely against Cena getting the role unless it could be assured that Vince McMahon and WWE films would not be allowed anywhere near the production.  I mean like not only as not apart of the production but McMahon not allowed within 100 miles of the set.

And Channing Tatum?  Not sure but who knows that he'd do it.  He had some issues signing on for G.I. Joe until Joseph Gordon Levitt talked him into it.  I'm not sure I would trust him to do the role proud.

As much as I have issues with him, I'd say maybe pull in Damon.  

Honestly, I think they need a relatively unknown American actor though to play the role.  Seriously!  Whoever gets the role needs to be seen as Steve Rogers/Captain America.  Not as "big name actor in the role of Captain America"

Then surround him with a supporting cast of recognizable names. 

The alternative is if you have a big name actor who can successfully "disappear" into the role.   IE: the way Swank and Theron did for their roles in "Boys Don't Cry" and "Monster" respectively.

BentonGrey

The only one of those who is anywhere close to the right LOOK for the role is Eric Johnston, but I'd say he's the best of a bad lot.  I'm for them searching for an unknown.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Ares_God_of_War

I wouldn't mind Chris Pine from Startrek as Cap.

Cena I would be against for the same reasons as Mr. Hammrick because Vince would try to at least get executive producer credit like he did on the Rock's movies.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

murs47

I'd go Matt Damon. He can easily pack on some weight to play the role, and he's capable of doing some awesome fight scenes(Bourne series). On top of that, he's a very good actor.

BentonGrey

He doesn't have strong enough features to be Cap...I know that sounds weird, but I'm standing by it. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

murs47

He does lack the chin. Heh. My choice was more focused on physical abilities and acting skills. If it was based on pure aesthetics, I'd go Eckhart.

BentonGrey

Quote from: murs47 on February 07, 2010, 07:13:15 AM
He does lack the chin. Heh. My choice was more focused on physical abilities and acting skills. If it was based on pure aesthetics, I'd go Eckhart.

Yeah, and your arguments are good in those areas...don't get me wrong, I think those things are the most important...but Cap's got to look the part as far as I'm concerned.
God Bless

GhostMachine

Cena would be a lousy choice even if you didn't have to worry about Vince McMahon.

If you want a pro wrestler for Captain America, take a look at Ken Anderson (former Mister Kennedy....KENNEDY!). If you go by Cap's Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe stats, and believe Anderson's, he's 2 inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter than Cap.

However....

1. He's got (fairly ugly) tattoos, so you'd have to add body paint to the budget.

2. I know he did the direct to video sequel to Behind Enemy Lines and some other things, but I haven't seen them so I don't know if he can actually act.

3. He's now in TNA, so instead of Vince McMahon getting involved, you'd have to worry about Bischoff and that company he has with Jason Hervey (yes, the older brother on The Wonder Years) and maybe Hulk Hogan.

4. I'm not sure he looks quite ripped enough.

As an in-joke they could have one scene where Cap introduces himself that goes like this:

"I'm Captain America." *pauses, points to the A on his mask* "AMERICA!!"

Oh, and if we get into showing WW2 heroes still alive in the modern day when Cap gets to that point, call me crazy, but I'd cast Christopher Plummer as the now elderly original Union Jack.

herodad1

i'd go no-name all the way.as far as invader characters give nic cage a flat top and pointy ears and youve got namor.

captmorgan72

Yep, Cap has to be a no-name. I can't think of anyone that looks the part.

BentonGrey

Quote from: herodad1 on February 07, 2010, 12:59:23 PM
i'd go no-name all the way.as far as invader characters give nic cage a flat top and pointy ears and youve got namor.

Please, lord no.........
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 07, 2010, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: herodad1 on February 07, 2010, 12:59:23 PM

Please, lord no.........

Would you feel better if they put him in a long blonde wig & cast him as Spitfire?
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Shogunn2517

So I suggest five and so far only seen one more outside of going with an unknown to be suggested.  Any other suggestions?

I honestly doubt they'd go with a unknown.  In regard to Anderson(Ken Anderson the wrestler), I've seen him act with intensity, but I don't know what he can do in terms of being more of a dramatic actor.

detourne_me

Sam Worthington and Mark Valley would also be good.
But I'm thinking they should go with Matt Damon on this one.  Cap is too important to go to an unknown.

President Raygun

I was going to say Mark Valley also, he's tall, blonde, with strong features and he's even an ex-soldier.

If I had to go with a guy with more acting chops, I'd say Aarron Eckhart, he might be a little off on the face (though Tobey M. wasn't exactly what I pictured for Spidey either), but I bet he could really pull off the "man out out time" angle with some actual pathos.

Of course ever since I saw Travolta's Broken Arrow I've always pictured Howie Long playing Cap (Flatop, square chin)

And if all else fails there's always Ryan Reynolds(his name always seems to be attached to a comics-based movie)

BentonGrey

Hmm.......Valley's ex-military, hmm?  I have to say, that actually sounds pretty good.  He looks the part too.  Can he act?
God Bless

Mr. Hamrick

Mark Valley is currently playing a DC hero at the moment.  That would be The Human Target.

I doubt he would get cast as Cap for that reason.  However, his name as been brought up for the role.

BentonGrey

Okay, I've watched an episode of the Human Target on Hulu.  I have to say, Valley seems like he'd be pretty good for the part.  He's a bit on the older side to be playing a 19/20 year old, but that might help give him a bit of presence.  So far, he's the only one suggested that I think could really work. 
God Bless

JeyNyce

I think we're going about this all wrong.  What made Spider-man so great?  They had a good Peter Parker.  What made Iron Man so good?  Robert Downey Jr played they heck out of Tony Stark.  What we need to be looking for is a person to play Steve Rogers well.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

docdelorean88

Quote from: JeyNyce on February 08, 2010, 03:16:45 PM
I think we're going about this all wrong.  What made Spider-man so great?  They had a good Peter Parker.  What made Iron Man so good?  Robert Downey Jr played they heck out of Tony Stark.  What we need to be looking for is a person to play Steve Rogers well.

Here's the thing, Spiderman didn't have a good peter parker. In spiderman tobey mcguire had no personality. Its the only 3 movies i hate him in! I LOVE him in Pleasantville, i mean heck, that is the personality he needed for peter parker. He was a good Spiderman, i just didn't like him as peter parker. I mean, how many of these dull facial expressions did we get in just the 1st movie:http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/tobey-maguire/tobey-maguire-20040720-4400.jpg
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BWPS

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 08, 2010, 01:39:17 PM
Okay, I've watched an episode of the Human Target on Hulu.  I have to say, Valley seems like he'd be pretty good for the part.  He's a bit on the older side to be playing a 19/20 year old, but that might help give him a bit of presence.  So far, he's the only one suggested that I think could really work. 
I just did the same. Yeah he's old. But man, is he a good choice. I wouldn't mind if they changed his age but the look is perfect and he can act.

I do agree that I'd prefer a good actor to someone who just looks the part.

I don't want to rant too much but Cena is the absolute worst possible choice for this role. As in, I'd honestly rather Dakota Fanning. He is the worst actor ever (see recent guest role on Psych) and he talks like a moron.

Is this still going to be set almost completely in WWII? I think that'd be rad to see The Human Toroch (so very unlikely) and Namor, but even if not this movie has HUGE potential. A "cliffhanger" ending in which he falls into ice and "dies" or have him unfrozen at the end or even after credits would be awesome.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Quote from: BWPS on February 08, 2010, 04:48:19 PM
I just did the same. Yeah he's old. But man, is he a good choice. I wouldn't mind if they changed his age but the look is perfect and he can act.

I don't want to rant too much but Cena is the absolute worst possible choice for this role. As in, I'd honestly rather Dakota Fanning. He is the worst actor ever (see recent guest role on Psych) and he talks like a moron.

Is this still going to be set almost completely in WWII? I think that'd be rad to see The Human Toroch (so very unlikely) and Namor, but even if not this movie has HUGE potential. A "cliffhanger" ending in which he falls into ice and "dies" or have him unfrozen at the end or even after credits would be awesome.

Yeah, there is EVERY reason this movie should be awesome, and with Marvel's track record lately, I have high hopes!  Man, it would be soooo cool to see some of Cap's WWII buddies show up...but I think that might be a bit tough to do in this movie.  I mean, imagine trying to explalin Namor in the few minutes you'd get if he were only a supporting character. 
God Bless

Gremlin

Who would need to explain it?

"Who's that guy?"
"Namor. Thinks he's king of Atlantis or something."
"...what, seriously?"
*waves hand* "It's complicated. Don't worry about it."

And just have him screwing with submarines or something. Like a cameo. Flesh him out in Avengers or the Fan4 reboot.

docdelorean88

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 08, 2010, 05:06:06 PM
Quote from: BWPS on February 08, 2010, 04:48:19 PM

Yeah, there is EVERY reason this movie should be awesome, and with Marvel's track record lately, I have high hopes!  Man, it would be soooo cool to see some of Cap's WWII buddies show up...but I think that might be a bit tough to do in this movie.  I mean, imagine trying to explalin Namor in the few minutes you'd get if he were only a supporting character. 
See, this is what i wanted to happen in wolverine. I wanted there to be a small cameo for captain america pre-supersoldier experiment. Have Logan be like "What the *#*# happened to Steve? He just vanished off the face of the earth or something?" But, since wolverine was a travesty, its alright. Anyhow, i think Captain America should be a war film like Saving Private Ryan, and an awesome super hero movie like Ironman. Make it all WWII, just the basics of him being recruited, getting super-ified and then show him at war trying to take down the red skull. After all, captain America was a soldier first and foremost. And then, as the final battle sequence goes down between cap and red skull, for some reason the redskull gets away/jumps into a vortex/freezes himself and so Captain America is preserved until he is needed again. THEN something sweet in the credits.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Mr. Hamrick

I've heard some stuff about this movie that will probably tick a few people off here.  

Spoiler
They are going to put Cap with the USO and having him do a "song and dance number".  This is not a joke.  From what I hear, the idea is that he wants to be out on the battlefield but they are afraid of losing him.  He basically goes AWOL to go join the troops in battle then proves that himself to be the leader on the battlefield we all know him to be from there.

It kinda makes sense.  

It's also been announced that the main villain will definitely be The Red Skull.

http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/02/08/joe-johnston-spills-details-on-captain-america/  and http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3976

crimsonquill

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 09, 2010, 06:09:28 AM
It kinda makes sense.  

Makes sense to me too.. especially when he is the only survivor of the experiment so they make him into a Uncle Sam with a patriotic outfit. I think that most of us fans are a little quirky after the Spider-Man dance numbers started moving pass the little joke from the first movie. Besides it explains the reasoning behind his patriotic look and why his first appearance might be closer to Ultimate Captain America with lots of WWII uniform parts and equipment strapped over his "stage costume" that photographers capture in battle which helps them come with a more battle ready version of his uniform.

And the idea of adding The Invaders is wonderful news..

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

BWPS

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 09, 2010, 06:09:28 AM
I've heard some stuff about this movie that will probably tick a few people off here.  

Spoiler
They are going to put Cap with the USO and having him do a "song and dance number".  This is not a joke.  From what I hear, the idea is that he wants to be out on the battlefield but they are afraid of losing him.  He basically goes AWOL to go join the troops in battle then proves that himself to be the leader on the battlefield we all know him to be from there.

It kinda makes sense.  

It's also been announced that the main villain will definitely be The Red Skull.

http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/02/08/joe-johnston-spills-details-on-captain-america/  and http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3976
The USO thing makes sense. In flashbacks he often talks about how he was a symbol to rally American support and how Bucky was an answer to the Hitler Youth propaganda. But where did you hear this about a "song and dance number"? I didn't read it in either article and while I know you're probably right, I definitely hope that doesn't end up happening.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

President Raygun

Song and dance, huh? so it's between Tim Curry and Zac Efron?

Ares_God_of_War

Well Disney does own Marvel now so its time to suit up Zac Efron as cap, lol
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."