Captain America casting coming... Who's your Top 5?

Started by Shogunn2517, February 06, 2010, 03:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

It is.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/

No rumored.  No other actors.  No doubt.

Chris Evans is Captain America.

BWPS

I pretty much like him in superhero movies, he was ok as Johnny Storm Human Torch (who isn't that great of a character to begin with but at least it was accurate) and I really liked him in Push (even though I'm the only one in I know who has seen it). But he played the wisecracking type in both and he just doesn't seem serious enough. But maybe if he smiles less. He's pretty much American looking and with longer and blonde hair, he may look the part pretty well. I don't think it's a particularly good choice but it's a lot better than almost all the other rumors in this thread. It's a way worse choice than Ryan Phillipe who looks the part (I mean you can't tell he's 36 at all) and has a face that makes my heart skip beats even though I'm a heterosexual man.

Not that I thought they would before, but that pretty much confirms The Human Torch (the cool robot one) won't be a part of the movie Invaders, huh?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on March 23, 2010, 02:19:07 AM
It is.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/

No rumored.  No other actors.  No doubt.

Chris Evans is Captain America.

Yahoo is even running it as one of their front page stories.   :blink: :rolleyes:

The only thing that bothers me about the choice is that he is doing SO MANY comic book movies.

"The Losers"
2 "Fantastic Four" films
"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"

now several films as Captain America...

and while he was one of the better things about The Fantastic Four movie...  I don't know if he can bring the needed seriousness and intensity to Captain America.

Course... people doubted Heath Ledger could play The Joker.

JeyNyce

I'm going to keep my hopes up, but if he's going to be Cap, then the Fantastic 4 needs a revamp.  He can't be Johnny & Cap.  People will get confuse.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

GogglesPizanno

Given the list of contenders, I'm actually ok with it.
And I imagine since Fox still retains the rights to the FF in film form, this has an added bonus of Marvel sticking it to Fox a little by stealing the actor and re associating him with a marvel production. Not that FF was anything to be trumpeting as massive success...

And if you haven't seen Sunshine (The Sci Fi Danny Boyle movie) Evans was in it as a military guy and while the movie is just so-so, he was really good in it.

Podmark

Jon Favreau has posted on his twitter that Evans is Captain America. So it looks pretty official. I don't know what to expect, I've only seen him in the first FF movie and Johny is a much different character than Steve. We'll see.

Bleeding Cool news has posted a rumour that Keira Knightley and Ryan Phillippe have been cast as well. They suggest they might play Peggy Carter and Bucky. This one is still very much a rumour at the moment though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 23, 2010, 12:49:04 PM
I'm going to keep my hopes up, but if he's going to be Cap, then the Fantastic 4 needs a revamp.  He can't be Johnny & Cap.  People will get confuse.

I have never bought this argument.  People know what actors are and what kind of work they do. 
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

lugaru

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on March 23, 2010, 08:16:01 PM

I have never bought this argument.  People know what actors are and what kind of work they do. 

Yup, and I think the Fantastic Four series has been discontinued. The next one we see will probably have a new team. Still like you say, I dont expect Nick Fury to kill snakes on a plane while chaining white girls to radiators and spouting bible verse... new movie, new character. Which is a shame, that would make Nick awesome.

Blkcasanova247

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude with Chris Evans being cast as Cap. My hope is that he'll do the work...gain some size and gets in the best shape of his life and take the material and the role seriously...Cap deserves that. This more than any other of the "Marvel" franchise movies is what I've been looking forward too. I hope to god the script is good.
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on March 23, 2010, 09:35:05 PM
I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude with Chris Evans being cast as Cap. My hope is that he'll do the work...gain some size and gets in the best shape of his life and take the material and the role seriously...Cap deserves that. This more than any other of the "Marvel" franchise movies is what I've been looking forward too. I hope to god the script is good.

Everything Ive read says that we should be worried about the script waaaay more than the casting....

BentonGrey

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on March 23, 2010, 09:41:02 PM

Everything Ive read says that we should be worried about the script waaaay more than the casting....

I'm beginning to be worried about both....I don't want to be.  I want to be optimistic. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

deano_ue

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on March 23, 2010, 09:41:02 PM

do tell because from what i've heard it's a decent concept in the script

JeyNyce

Quote from: lugaru on March 23, 2010, 09:07:14 PM
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on March 23, 2010, 08:16:01 PM

Yup, and I think the Fantastic Four series has been discontinued. The next one we see will probably have a new team. Still like you say, I dont expect Nick Fury to kill snakes on a plane while chaining white girls to radiators and spouting bible verse... new movie, new character. Which is a shame, that would make Nick awesome.

Both of you guys are right, I guess I'm not giving viewers enough credit.   
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

TheMarvell

didn't they publicly state Fantastic Four was being rebooted? Pretty sure they did.

I don't know how I feel about their choice. I think it's odd considering he's already played a Marvel hero very, very recently, and we all know it. I would have preferred someone else. I really don't want to be watching this movie and seeing "Johnny Storm with a shield". You know?

He isn't the worst choice. At least he has some talent. But he's known for his funny frat-guy antics in the roles he plays, with a few notable exceptions people already pointed out.

Blitzgott

What's up with casting Backstreet Boys to play truculent, musclebound comic books icons? First Chris Hemmsworth as Thor, and now Chris Evans as Captain America...

I haven't seen much of Hemmsworth, so all I can whine about is his looks, but Evans definitely should not play Captain America, in my opinion... He looks like too much of a boy, and does not have the "presence", so to speak, that I'd expect of someone who should play Captain America. Not to mention his voice. He's gonna need some work in order to shout "Avengers Assemble!" and not sound like a high school quarterback on testosterone high rallying his team.