You're going out wearing THAT?? (Bad comicbook costume design)

Started by Glitch Girl, May 22, 2009, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 23, 2009, 12:54:00 PM
markhawkman, find some links, post some examples!  I wanna see the trainwrecks!  :)

Moving on...

Quote from: Any episode of Chicken BooHe's a chicken, I tell ya'... A GIANT CHICKEN!

At first, I thought this character was designed as a joke.  After reading his entry, I'm not so sure as it sounds pretty dark and serious - adept of Necromacy and voodoo, human sacrafice, zombies, deals with death and all.  Heck, they even used him in Marvel Zombies so I hear.

Too bad he dresses like a giant chicken.

Okay..."rooster", but still.

Behold the Mighty Black Talon

I think Deadpool sums it up really well here
(note, the above was from my first comic exposure to the Black Talon, hence why I thought he was 100% gag based. )

Chicken man got a new suit... that never stopped Deadpool from harassing him though...

Spoiler

If that is what he looks like now, I like it honestly.

However since this is about goofy costumes!

Gremlin

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 29, 2009, 03:18:26 PM
Quote from: marhawkman on May 29, 2009, 01:22:51 AM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7192/liefeld42pg.jpg
That is a PERFECT example of what I was talking about earlier.

*lols at the many insane comments*

*reads the 40 picture Liefield suckitude*

It is SO much fun to hate him. I mean really.... I don't get how he became a professional artist.

Yeah, it boggles the mind that the man got a job in the first place...but what really can make you crazy is trying to figure out how he managed to work SO FREAKING MUCH.

I don't care about the visual aspect myself, since I view comics for the stories and characters more than anything else (shut up, Scott McCloud). But that's no excuse.

Also, I love how this thread is rapidly turning from "crappy costumes ahoy" to "Rob Liefeld sucks pouches."

thanoson

No, he just happens to make horrible costumes as well :P
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

thanoson

Umm... what is wrong with Charlie up above? That is, uh, hmmm.... uh.... wow.

Glitch Girl

Well, the fact is, Liefeld is responsible for a whole lotta crappy costumes, including the whole "Big shoulderpads, pouches, 'n guns" movement.    It some ways it's too easy to find Liefeld stuff to pick on.  

Griz: Who the heck is that in the middle?  The Might Barrlel?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 30, 2009, 01:13:58 AM
Well, the fact is, Liefeld is responsible for a whole lotta crappy costumes, including the whole "Big shoulderpads, pouches, 'n guns" movement.    It some ways it's too easy to find Liefeld stuff to pick on.  

Griz: Who the heck is that in the middle?  The Might Barrlel?

Those are apparently the earliest appearances of the Guardians of the Galaxy. So that would make the barrel man Charlie-27.

So from left to right:
Major Victory
Charlie-27
Martinex
Yondu

daglob

As I remember, Charlie didn't look quite like that inside (and Vance didn't have blue arms, either).

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: daglob on May 30, 2009, 04:58:59 PM
As I remember, Charlie didn't look quite like that inside (and Vance didn't have blue arms, either).

That's actually from the cover of Astonishing Tales #29 (Apr 75), which was a reprint of the Marvel Super-Heroes! Presents: #18 (Jan 69) seen here.  The Astonishing Tales cover was recolored to fix obvious errors (such as Yondu), but apparently introduced errors of it's own.  The next appearance I can find for them is Defenders #26 (Aug 75), by which time, they mostly all look like they did for quite a while after that (at least until getting their own title in the 90's).
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

The original cover makes it look more like Charlie is wearing a space helmet, but neither colorist was exactly sure what he was doing.

Glitch Girl

Not a comic but comic related, and probably the CLASSIC example of how NOT to do a superhero costume
Too Icky
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

Ohh the humanity!

I've got one for you:  The Human Flying Fish!

http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlogarchives/2009images/HumanFlyingFish-thumb.jpg

Definitely not one of Aquaman's best villains, although the redesign a year back wasn't too bad.  He still needed a name change. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

marhawkman

Yeesh, both of those are horrible. The robin is good, though.

BentonGrey

Quote from: marhawkman on June 02, 2009, 07:12:50 PM
Yeesh, both of those are horrible. The robin is good, though.

Two words: Nipples.  Codpiece.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Glitch Girl

Yes, the Bat cod-pieces are disturningly pronounced.  The only reason the Robin costume is slightly better is it's based on Nightwing's costume at the time, which was simple but pretty cool.  The silver spattered all over the place (legs, groin, arms) make it so busy and non-stealthy, and the molded nipples do not help.
-Glitch Girl

JeyNyce

Quote from: Glitch Girl on June 02, 2009, 08:43:06 PM
Yes, the Bat cod-pieces are disturningly pronounced.  The only reason the Robin costume is slightly better is it's based on Nightwing's costume at the time, which was simple but pretty cool.  The silver spattered all over the place (legs, groin, arms) make it so busy and non-stealthy, and the molded nipples do not help.

I'll 1 up ya GG

http://filmonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/halle_berry_catwoman_hq_001.jpg
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

thanoson

Glitch Girl

Oh gads, Jey...

I SO hate that costume.  It reminds me of a hairless sphynx

You can't see it in that picture Jey posted, but she's got open-toed heels on.  Opened-toed, as in "stub your toe when you kick someone" opened-toed.  I look at this thing and go "oh COME ON!!!" 

-Glitch Girl

thalaw2

That Catwoman costume ain't all that bad considering who's wearing it.... :wub:
革命不会被电视转播

Gremlin

Quote from: thalaw2 on June 03, 2009, 02:59:38 AM

Okay, Halle Berry is a fox but that costume just looks slutty.

DrMike2000

That Gene Colan Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty classy. I love the way Yondu appears to be wearing just a pair of red shoes and a strategically placed bow and arrow. What a noble savage!

And yeah, it took a couple of views to realise that Charlie-27 wasn't wearing a helmet.

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

BWPS

Quote from: Gremlin on June 03, 2009, 03:11:10 AM
Quote from: thalaw2 on June 03, 2009, 02:59:38 AM

Okay, Halle Berry is a fox but that costume just looks slutty.
Well, she IS a comic book character and that goes with the territory. All of these are pretty slutty/manslutty:

Here are some bad designs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/Superman.jpg
What is that cape attached to?
Not so much a costume as it is just paint n' undies. Seriously, I think people will be able to tell you're muscular by the planet-moving without you having a magic shirt that is skintight, but also somehow surrounds every single muscle. It's paint, I know it is! The outside undies might seem silly at first, but I am glad he has them after seeing:

http://loknar54.com/images/NewFlash-Allen1.JPG
Fantastic genitals, there. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope he isn't vulnerable to yeast infection. I'm sure that being able to move faster than the speed of light is helped by those ears making him aerodynamic. But the real question is how does he put that thing on? The face-hole certainly isn't big enough for him to fit through and that lightning bolt certainly isn't a belt. I assume that he has to rely on his ability to vibrate his molecules to go through solid objects to put on his costume every time he wears it. Now that seems like such a hassle (and is just so impossible), So maybe just carry a bucket of paint. Or go naked since we can see everything anyway.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/wonder-woman.jpg
Making Catwoman look like a nun is Wonder Woman. She's from the Amazon or ancient Greece or something, but wears an American flag so she'll fit in with all the fourth of July-themed strippers. She also wears Armor to protect her wrists and she can put those over her face. Meanwhile someone shoots her in her giant legs. Her job is to fight super-villains.

http://people.ucsc.edu/~jkli/Batman-color.jpg
Why is the utility belt yellow? The whole costume is designed to NOT be seen at night and he somehow manages to have a yellow utility belt. I've never even seen a store sell a utility belt in that color. I'm pretty sure most of them are black or brown to begin with. He went out of his way to get the worst possible color for a utility belt. And unlike Supes or The Flash, he can't use his super speed to squeeze into his costume, so he's just wasting time he could be spending fighting crime, in the lab, or sleeping. Just kidding, he doesn't sleep.

http://xrayvision.today.com/files/2009/01/martian-manhunter.gif
The straps and underwear and boots all just scream colorful S&M. Which is cool if that's what he's into, I personally WOULDN'T wear it to work. He's normally a naked Martian, then he comes to earth and to fit in, he shapeshifts into this?! Was the first place he landed the tour bus after a Queen concert and thought that's how humans dressed? It really makes one react to the name Manhunter with less of a "run, he's a tough superhero!" into "run, he thinks we have purty mouths!"

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

marhawkman

Bats HAS worn grey colored belts in the past. :p

WW's outfit is apparently some sort of magic armor forged by Hephaestus. too bad she didn't get to choose the style. but yes, the whole my-costume-is-a-one-peice-bathing-suit idea is lightyears beyond tired.

Gremlin

BWPS you straddle the line between comedian and troll... :P

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: marhawkman on June 04, 2009, 07:28:19 PM
Bats HAS worn grey colored belts in the past. :p

WW's outfit is apparently some sort of magic armor forged by Hephaestus. too bad she didn't get to choose the style. but yes, the whole my-costume-is-a-one-peice-bathing-suit idea is lightyears beyond tired.

True somewhat but Wonder Woman did it first, and if she didn't she at least popularized it... so meh. I've still not been able to figure out why someone who is bulletproof needs bullet reflecting bracers? I guess she just wants to practice for when someone actually shoots something dangerous at her?

Quote from: Gremlin on June 04, 2009, 08:52:54 PM
BWPS you straddle the line between comedian and troll... :P

Gotta admit BWPS post had me rollin'. Still though the only reason I've been able to uncover for underwear on the outside is simply to break up the color scheme on Superman, Batman, Aquaman, etc. My question is... what is it? Panties? A kevlar "junk" protector? Or is it just a different colored part of the tights and not really a seperate piece?

I guess Batman with all the women he's punched over the years decided "No one kicks Batman in the jimmies! That won't be my Bat-Weakness."

daglob

Supposedly, the whole undies on the outside thing is becasue the original costumes were based on the costumes of curcus acrobats. I don't recall acrobats wearing their undies on the outside, but...

And it too awhile of reading old GA Wonder Woman stories to realize that she isn't wearing a swim suit; she is wearing a corset, spike-heel boots, short pants (or a girdle), and slave bracelets. Fredric Wertham wasn't completly wrong (just 99.999999999999999...%), although William Moulton Marston probably knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

GrizzlyBearTalon

BentonGrey

I've always hated WW's costume.  It's completely ridiculous.  I HAVE seen versions that make it look like actual Greek armor, with the bloomers replaced with a "skirt" of leather strips, a-la such armor.  Ohh, and originally she wasn't exactly bullet-proof.

Anyway, I unabashedly love most of those costumes...can't say much.  I DO hate the Aquaman costume with the black underoos...only person who could make that look natural was Aparo.
God Bless

ink

I am love this thread, this makes me want to do a contest where you redesign some of this stuff.
[img]http://www.fxforce.com/GPL/GPL-BannerTrans.gif[/img]

*no request at the moment please*
Thxs ^_^

daglob

Where is the challenge in that? Now, you really want a CHALLENGE, make 'em worse.