Wolverine: Origins Film Thread

Started by The Hitman, March 11, 2009, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hitman

If there was a thread for this, I sure as heck can't find it.

Anyways, just thought youalls would be interested in this:

Spoiler

This is supposed to be Deadpool. Can't tell from the pic, but his mouth is stitched up as well.

Apparently, the main plot of the film is that Deadpool is turned into a mindless killing machine (complete with Wolverine- ish blades popping from his arms), and Wolvie and Sabretooth have to hunt him down. That's what the back of the package said.

And to think I had at least a tiny bit of hope for this movie.

BWPS

Because regular swords are just lame! And don't get me started on how stupid a masked character in a superhero movie would've been! Ryan Reynolds is WAY too cute to wear a mask!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

lugaru

Hmm... that does not sound like the deadpool I enjoy reading...

Aww man...

BentonGrey

Well......once again, the trailers lie.  I just hope that isn't true. :banghead:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

Sorry, best comment I could come up with on short notice.  
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Talavar

I hope that's not true as well.  It'll be too bad if this sucks.

zuludelta

<furrows brow, shrugs shoulders>

I'll probably still watch it, though. I get the impression from the trailers that it's going to be one of those mindlessly entertaining special-effects and stunt-heavy movies. I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to superhero films... a well-done CG Silver Surfer and Jessica Alba in a tight jumpsuit were enough to make me forgive the accumulated faults of Fantastic Four 2  :lol:.
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

lugaru

Yeah, for me the Fantastic Four series is an anomaly. A lot of people dont like those movies but I think it is the one fun comic movie in a sea of tragedy and drama. And yeah, even if they butcher deadpool (not literally) I'll still watch it because my G.F. seems really interested. And I'm a huge fan of the original Barry Windsor Smith weapon X story, so even if this movie only has fumes of that series I'll still enjoy it. 

Gremlin

TheMarvell

the newest trailer reveals that a teenage Cyclops is featured in the movie, and they apparently copy several mutant abilities, including Cyclops', and put them into Deadpool for some reason. Hugh Jackman is also on record for saying they "had to take liberties with the character" which basically means they completely changed him for the movie. Jackman said he thinks most fans will understand why and might even like it, but he knows there's always going to be haters too.

Sorry, I don't have the article I read that, but I think I found it on the IMDB boards a couple weeks ago.

I don't know. I want to see this movie based on the fact that I like X-Men alone, but the film itself doesn't look that good. In fact, it kind of reminds me of one of the weaker Marvel movies, like Daredevil (which I liked) or Elektra (blech!)

Figure Fan

Ohhhhhhhhh...

People that have been clamoring for Deadpool are going to despise this.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that makes my mind up about this movie.  I'm not going to see it.  When they just decide to do whatever the heck they want and throw the source material out the window...well, that's fine, but then make your own dang movie and don't license something you're not going to use.

I can't see any reason that this is actually necessary.  The story that I had extrapolated from the previews would have worked just fine.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

crimsonquill

I've done some digging of my own and pretty much come to this conculsion:

Spoiler
The production crew have stated they are going to change Deadpool's origin so that it is a major part of the storyline. However by releasing that action figure as Deadpool instead of Weapon XI (after being revamped by the program) has confused a lot of fans.. not to mension ticking them off and giving them flashbacks to X-Men 3. Wade Wilson first appears in the film as the character we know and love (without the costume however) and interviews with Ryan Reynolds have indicated that he wants to spin off Deadpool and that fans will get the character from the comics as long as he is doing the character. Maybe all of those rewrites toward the end of the filming forced a merger of two characters just so that the audience feels for Wade being turned against his former teammates.

My conclusion is that Wade Wilson is remade into a Mimic-like supermutant with genetic material from various mutants.. He is called Weapon XI by the company but is nicknamed Deadpool because of the gambling going on that their latest project will be a success. Deadpool ends up in a life or death situation (the final fight in rumored to be at a nuke reactor site) where he is horrible mangled and then regenerates back into plain old Wade near the end of the movie but disfigured, cancer ridden from exposure, and quite insane. Sure it's not the same origin from Marvel but we never knew what horrible tourture was done to Wade as he was experimented upon before they ended up giving up on him.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

lugaru

Nope, not the same origin but if the changes are temporary and it turns Deadpool into the one we like then that's not the worse change made for a movie.

The Hitman

That... I can believe. Hope you're right, Crim.

BentonGrey

Bah.  If they wanted Mimic, they should have darn well used Mimic.
God Bless

Jakew

So ... anyone else seen the leaked film, besides me?  :unsure:

GogglesPizanno

I'm a movie purest.
Any film like that I am interested in seeing, I refuse to watch for the first time on anything but the big screen (even if its crap). I just don't see the point of watching a bootleg on TV for a first viewing. Defeats the whole movie experience for me.

I can wait a month...

Talavar

Especially when the film is supposedly unfinished (FX, score, etc.).  I can wait a month.

Figure Fan

Quote from: Talavar on April 02, 2009, 05:15:14 AM
Especially when the film is supposedly unfinished (FX, score, etc.).  I can wait a month.

Meh, it's not as unfinished as you'd think..

There are MAJOR spoilers below:

Spoiler
Can Deadpool (which he's IS called in the film because he successfully "pools" the mutants' powers together without his cells fighting the genetic material), regenerate from being decapitated? Hopefully.. Stryker was literally controlling him from a computer to fight Wolverine and Sabretooth. Gambit was a big letdown, and the dialog was pretty bad. FX aren't really going to save this movie I don't think..

*whistles away*

Previsionary

Spoiler
If DP's head can find his body in time, yes...of course comic DP is also cursed with immortality that may or may not still be in effect.
Disappear when you least expe--

Jakew

It was missing a couple of CG effects, a bit of music, and around ten minutes of scenes which may be reinserted into the film.

Kinda glad I saved the money, to be honest ... not a great film, as a "Wolverine movie" or even just as an action film  :thumbdown: It's more of prequel to X-Men 3, if anything.

Spoiler
What was up with Deadpool turning into a clone of Baraka from Mortal Kombat, with the powers of Mimic? That was craaaaaaaaaap!

Also, doesn't this film cause glaring continuity issues with Bryan Singer's X-Men films?

Tomato

Quote from: Jakew on April 03, 2009, 08:39:49 AM
It was missing a couple of CG effects, a bit of music, and around ten minutes of scenes which may be reinserted into the film.

Kinda glad I saved the money, to be honest ... not a great film, as a "Wolverine movie" or even just as an action film  :thumbdown: It's more of prequel to X-Men 3, if anything.

Spoiler
What was up with Deadpool turning into a clone of Baraka from Mortal Kombat, with the powers of Mimic? That was craaaaaaaaaap!

Also, doesn't this film cause glaring continuity issues with Bryan Singer's X-Men films?

Spoiler
Not as much as you'd think. When Cyclops showed up I had reservations, but the whole time he was blindfolded. The only one who would have really known about Wolverine's involvement was Professor X. Since they already hinted he knew more about Weapon X in X2 than he let on initially, I was happy to see that nugget resolved.

Honestly... I'm ok with it. Yeah, Gambit was blah, and the Mimic-Deadpool was rediculous... but I did feel like they laid the groundwork for the Deadpool we know to evolve in another movie. And that, like it or not, is the point of this movie: not to be great on it's own, but to lay the groundwork for a better movie later. And if that's what it takes to avoid another X3... I wholeheartedly support it.

deano_ue

sounds as bad as i feared, seriously fox wake up and sack tim rothman.

Previsionary

Seems the leak has brought in FBI attention.

Quote from: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/and-it-makes-you-age-20-years-overnight"Last night, a stolen, incomplete and early version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was posted illegally on a website. It was without many effects, had missing and unedited scenes and temporary sound and music. We immediately contacted the appropriate legal authorities and had it removed. We forensically mark our content so we can identify sources that make it available or download it. The source of the initial leak and any subsequent postings will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law – the courts have handed down significant criminal sentences for such acts in the past. The FBI and the MPAA also are actively investigating this crime. We are encouraged by the support of fansites condemning this illegal posting and pointing out that such theft undermines the enormous efforts of the filmmakers and actors, and above all, hurts the fans of the film."

More at the link, but it's really not worth reading. It should be noted that this "leak" was downloaded quite a lot, so Wolverine might not be the blockbuster Fox wanted it to be.
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Well, from what I'm hearing, it doesn't really deserve to be.
God Bless

GogglesPizanno

There was a big thing about how the FBI siezed all the computers at a datacenter in Texas over this, then it came out that it was because of something else...

Then a Fox News Columnist ran a review of the Leaked film and openly said how easy it was to download and that maybe he'd just download some other movies rather than go to the hassle of going out to the theater...

Then it was said that he was let go from Fox news for the comment after there was a bunch of backlash from movie sites going "Whaaa???"

Personally I agree with a couple of opinions Ive seen online that said a lot of these stories coming out about all of this is damage control from Fox. They now Have the ultimate excuse for the film not doing well at the box office (regardless how well it does). "Wolverine ___________ed because of those damn evil pirates on the interweb!"

Silver Shocker

I don't know if this is some scheme on Fox's part (I know several people on the internet have suggested that Fox leaked the movie out purposely) but personally I don't condone downloading a unfinished movie. Movies like X-Men these days are so heavily special effects oriented that watching it without the special effects, you could say, isn't watching the film at all. I wouldn't be interested in watching it this way. And it was pretty bad form for a columnist associated with Fox to review the pirated version of the movie, then talk about how preferable downloading movies is to seeing them in the theater.

Something I'm curious about, and anyone who knows more about this topic feel free to chime in, but do people who worked on the movie actually lose money if the movie tanks as a result? Who sees a cut of that revenue? I'm a bit disappointed to say I don't really have a good idea how that works.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

lgmss

I don't think so because if they did Fox might actually try and make a good movie. However if a movie really tanks I'm sure some people get fired, actors lose credibility, and a lot of money is lost, but for a movie with Wolverine in it, Fox would most likely break even at least; well before the movie leaked.
"Zack: You never know when a mod mob gorilla will strike you down. You could be minding your business gliding in midair down the boulevard when suddenly a huge and very fresh purple hand will wrap around your most personal of areas."

Jakew

I'd assume that Hugh Jackman's production company, Seed Productions, would lose some cash, since Wolverine: Origins was their project.  :(