Wolverine: Origins Film Thread

Started by The Hitman, March 11, 2009, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Meh, I guess my thing is that this isn't the type of movie I feel should be boycotted. It's not great, by any means (and there are some scenes that are just bizzare) but I've seen enough horrific of bad movies recently to realize this doesn't fall into that sphere. Despite having seen the pre-finalized version, I'm still more than happy to go watch the finished product.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BWPS

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 26, 2009, 01:18:13 PM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Will Have Multiple Secret Endings!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/04/24/x-men-origins-wolverine-will-have-multiple-secret-endings/

WTF? I'm not going to watch this more than once. And on DVD it's a total hassle to watch alternate endings, it breaks up the movie and its like, w/e.

What if I have bad luck and see one of the less cool endings when I go to theaters? That's like when you play an old adventure game and you forget to do something so they have an alternate ending that sucks. I don't like that.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

RTTingle

Wow, this reeks of desperation.

So... in one theater --- if we stay till the end, Tim Curry Shoots Hugh Jackman?  Wolverine isn't Clue.  Although Hugh Jackman is Tim Curry levels of camp considering the Boy From Oz.  ;)  Multiple endings were a great gimmick for a movie like Clue (as frustrating as it was until the finalized version hit cable and tv).  But multiple secret endings for Wolverine?

This is pretty much damage control and desperation to get people to see the movie.  The claim that the leak was an old unfinished print missing 20 minutes has been pretty much called out as baloney.  A handful of reviews have come in and well they said yes music and FX were added... no additional scenes were.

I may be a comic book geek, but there has been plenty of comic flicks I haven't seen Fantastic Four 1&2, spider-man 3, either Punisher... I wish I could say Ghost Rider too --- but it had Nicolas Cage and the gf just simply does not miss a Nic Cage flick.  Some movies just don't interest me and some people who have tastes close to mine have pretty much passed word to me to stay away from others.  This is another one of those movies.

I have seen the leaked film and while not crap --- its certainly was not good enough for me to see again.  There are a few nice surprises, but also some huge holes in the plot and well, just a mess altogether.  Sadly, the positive to me just wasn't enough to make up for the negative.  I look forward to the summer movie season... some movies just have to be seen on the large silver... better yet... IMAX!.  To me, this isn't one of 'em.

My friend Sue who saw the leaked flick too, loved it --- but all she knows of Wolverine and the characters is from the previous movies.  Guess that goes to show, ignorance is bliss.  I'd say sometimes that's the best way to enter these movies.  Considering the mess of Wolverines past & history, this may be appropriate.  I'll keep my Wolverine comic need for a history rant for another time.  :P  Movies like IronMan and Dark Knight show that you can make a good movie to please both fans and unknowing filmgoers.

I wasn't going to see the movie before.  Watched the leak, still wasn't interested enough to see the movie and even with multiple surprise endings still not going to see the movie.

deano_ue

ohh for the love of god this can't be true

can we get a film version where dead pool isn't ruined and logans memory loss isn't cause by some stupid plot device

Spoiler
striker shoots him with an adamantium bullet

Figure Fan

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on April 26, 2009, 06:55:40 PM
ohh for the love of god this can't be true

can we get a film version where dead pool isn't ruined and logans memory loss isn't cause by some stupid plot device

Spoiler
striker shoots him with an adamantium bullet

Spoiler
Can adamantium even go through adamantium? I could have sworn that Deathstrike and Wolverine were blocking one another's strikes with their claws..

How would an adamantium bullet go through an adamantium skeleton? Pretty dumb. I wasn't pleased at all.

JeyNyce

From reading the replies it seems that a lot of people have seen the leaked version.

Podmark

I got no problem with extra endings on the DVD but alternate endings in the theatre are going to be annoying.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

i gotta admit, after reading all of this, i'm just going to go into this as if it was just a non-comic related film. i haven't seen the leaked version, nor do i intend to. i just hope it marginally entertaining.

detourne_me

So i saw it in the theater tonight.the story doesn't really hold up for multiple viewings,  the finished FX were nice,  and there were a few other touches too.
unfortunately i fell asleep and missed the climax. then i had to skip out on the after-the-credits ending because i had to catch the last subway home. but otherwise it's a solid movie, no worse than a Blade movie, and better than Ghost Rider or Elektra.

deano_ue

honestly i went in with low exceptions these were met and some surpassed

Spoiler
pro's

jackman always was spot on with the character
sabertooth was great and a lot better than i expected.
Reynolds for what we actually seen of him was superb and was a perfect page to film translation of the character
the action was decent for what they could do but no major events were that memorable
cameo's the likes of quicksilver and xavier were a nice touch

cons
to many useless characters. the team for when it was together was great but what was the point if the vanish and get killed off after the first 15 minutes
gambit was this films venom, he was only there to shut up fanboys, what the hell was his point in this film it could have been any character or they could have just skipped it and have blob know where the island was.
stupidity like the adamantium bullet was just moronic and had to be an after thought
deadpool i'll separate this cause reynolds played wade wilson, weapon 11 was just one of the most annoying and stupid idea's i have ever seen, seriously have the writers actually read a comic that was :cmad: other have said it better than I can
everything has to be connected, cyclops didn't need to be there, silverfox and emma frost are sisters wtf so is silverfox a fake name and her name is kayla frost or is emma known as emma silverfox in the film.

the film really was very bland it may not be a great discrimination but after it was over all i could think was meh

and i still say the "multiple endings" is a pile of bull

RTTingle

deano_ue

the one with logan in the Japanese bar, which honestly i think is the only one there is

JeyNyce

The ending I saw was the one Stalker got called in for questioning.  Not a great movie but pretty solid.  Shall I say it was better than X3??

deano_ue

Quote from: JeyNyce on May 01, 2009, 11:03:03 AM
The ending I saw was the one Stalker got called in for questioning.  Not a great movie but pretty solid.  Shall I say it was better than X3??

everyone gets that, the other is after all the credits

a link to the deadpool one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgndmyItrg0

JeyNyce

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on May 01, 2009, 02:04:48 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on May 01, 2009, 11:03:03 AM

everyone gets that, the other is after all the credits

a link to the deadpool one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgndmyItrg0

:doh: Now I have to go back and see it again?!

Uncle Yuan

What - haven't you learned by now to sit through the credits?
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Torch

Just got back from the movie.  I thought it was pretty good, although the plot was a bit thin.  It did have enough in it for a fanboi to enjoy.

Spoiler
I love Gambit in the comics, but I think they could have played up his cajun charm a bit more.  Plus he had no accent whatsoever, and that took away from the character in my opinion.  Couldn't the cast be bothered to check out the '92-'97 X-Men Animated series?  Gambit was perfect in it.  Plus, they screwed up Rogue in the X-Men movies, and if they did her and gambit right we could have see some type of romance later on down the line.

GogglesPizanno

It was utterly mundane in every sense of the word.
Not bad, just bland.
Its like every time something was introduced that could conceivably be an interesting idea or plot point, they decided to go with the most average, predictable, watered down NBC movie of the week story option -- and then edited it down further to be the weakest PG-13 Ive seen in forever. I bet it got the PG-13 for language, as I don't think there was one drop of blood on screen. A 10 second autopsy in the show Bones is more graphic.

And as a personal aside, was anyone else getting confused by the time frame (or lack thereof). It was supposed to be taking place ~1979 by my calculations, but it never felt like it was the 70's -- everything felt too new or generically non dated.

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
I got the one with Stryker walking and Wolverine in a bar - Was this Deadpool one a real one? or was it cut and something left fr the DVD?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Torch

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 02, 2009, 05:48:47 AM
Spoiler
I got the one with Stryker walking and Wolverine in a bar - Was this Deadpool one a real one? or was it cut and something left fr the DVD?

Spoiler
I don't know what you mean by 'real one', but that is the ending I saw after the credits last night (and I did not see Wolverine in a bar).

@GP:  I agree.  And only at a few points did the movie seem like late '70s.  'That 70s Show' pulls it off better than this movie.

RTTingle

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 02, 2009, 05:48:47 AM
Spoiler

I'm pretty positive the Deadpool secret ending was filmed right after the film was leaked as a way to get people to actually see the movie.

The fact they made it random as to which secret ending you see, is a pretty poor thing to do to fans.  Why they didn't just include all of them as scenes as the credits go by in one movie is beyond me.... maybe with the Deadpool one being the final bit, I dunno.

Still smacks of desperation to me.

I just hope this move gets squashed next week by Trek.

RTT

Ares_God_of_War

So how many secret endings are there in this thing? The one I got wasnt too special.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

RTTingle

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 02, 2009, 08:45:11 PM
So how many secret endings are there in this thing? The one I got wasnt too special.

I'm guessing only 2...

Wolvie in a bar is one.... Deadpool at the end is another.

Torch

Quote from: RTTingle on May 02, 2009, 03:30:10 PM
...I just hope this move gets squashed next week by Trek.

RTT
We'll see.  The trailer I saw in the theater looked like an action fest.  And the great things I remember about Star Trek have little to do with kewl xsplozions!11!!  :doh:

BWPS

SSSSHHHHH!!!!111
Spoiler

So lame. The text parser deadpool at the end was rofliciously lame. Actually up until the end it was cool! I liked the figh
ts.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 02, 2009, 08:45:11 PM

supposedly there are three.

Ares_God_of_War

You know, knowing whats been happening with this franchise - I bet wolverine 2 will have wade wilson/deadpool/weapon XI as the Silver Samurai in japan

vamp

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 03, 2009, 01:58:43 AM
You know, knowing whats been happening with this franchise - I bet wolverine 2 will have wade wilson/deadpool/weapon XI as the Silver Samurai in japan

Silver Mimicpool XI!!!  :P