News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Doctor Who

Started by Talavar, January 03, 2009, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

So the new Doctor Who was announced today.  Taking over as the 11th Doctor is...
Spoiler
Some guy I've never heard of!  Seriously though, his name's Matt Smith.  He's been in almost nothing and he's 26.  I'm not impressed.

deano_ue

honestly it was more of a meh, really.i'll give him a chance but even when we got tennant, i didn't know who tennant was but i was excited about the idea of him as the doctor

this guy just was a case of huh this is the way there going

also to announce it like this was a really stupid move by the bbc when eccleston became tennant it was a big impact it was a shock, yes we knew it was coming but that should have waited and just had the new guy show up

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Bujin

After watching the Doctor Who Confidential on YouTube, I'm optimistic.  I have a lot of faith in Moffett, so I'm sure he would make a good pick.
- Bujin

Volsung

Yup, with Moffat in command , I'm serene :)

Stuff  hosted by the courtesy of http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/

deano_ue

please guys i'm a moffet fan as like the rest of you, but this is the guy that also said in a interview that he seen the doctor and the masters as star crossed lovers

Mahu

Tennant sold me on the Doctor. I wasn't a fan until he came on the scene, so the new doctor has 3 episodes to impress me.

Which I will be able to see in a couple of years!  :banghead:
"I feel they owe me." -Comic Book Guy
"They gave you thousands of hours of quality entertainment for free. If anything you owe them." - Bart
"Worst Episode Ever." -Comic Book Guy
[img]http://www.stkp.com/FF/FWBUTTONS/hamsterbutton.gif[/img][url

B A D

Not Happy.

I would like to have a Doctor who appears old enough to drive a freaking car, much less a Tardis. This kid makes Tennant look  positively grandfatherly.

Ill be on the wait and see list with  this one.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

AfghanAnt

While I don't know how I feel about the kid just yet, I do understand why they chose someone younger (but maybe they should have picked someone more handsome but whateverz). I was really hoping Patterson Joseph would be the new Doctor.

detourne_me

The best quotation I heard of to describe this Matt Smith guy was... "What if Frank Quitely drew A Flock of Seagulls?" that is what the dude looks like.

Talavar

The first of this year's "season" aired in Britain this past weekend: Planet of the Dead.

Spoiler

The episode begins with a woman doing a fairly cliched museum robbery, then while the cops close in she makes her getaway aboard a city bus - that the Doctor also boards.  While driving the bus goes through a wormhole and ends up stranded on another planet, a desert.

Overall, I thought it was a servicable, but light episode.  Tennant is great as always (he will be missed), but the plot overall, I'd describe as a cross between Pitch Black (minus the blackness) and Flight of the Phoenix.

bredon7777

Not to be overly nitpicky, but I was under the impression that "The Next Doctor" began the 2009 'Season', and that this season would consist of 4 episodes (The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars, and ?) before the 2010 season kicks off with a Christmas special starring the new guy.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

Talavar

The Next Doctor doesn't count as one of the 4 specials they're doing in place of a regular season.  At least according to the Wikipedia page on the subject and the Doctor Who website; both say there'll be 4 specials in 2009.  One of them - the last - will probably be this year's Xmas special.

B A D

It was an ok episode. I have much more hope for "Waters of Mars."  That looks downright creepy.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Talavar

Doctor Who is always better when creepy - which is why I have high hopes for Steven Moffat's tenure as showrunner.

Volsung

Quote from: Talavar on April 15, 2009, 10:11:54 PM
Doctor Who is always better when creepy - which is why I have high hopes for Steven Moffat's tenure as showrunner.
So do I :) But he may have some restrictions, like keeping the show overall "family friendly".
My gf and I will still cry when Tennant will have to pass on the torch .

Kommando

I case anyone is interested, as of July 31 Outpost Gallifrey is shutting down for good.

Link

marhawkman

Hmm... this looks promising. when is it scheduled for US broadcast?

bredon7777

New companion is a major hottie.  Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I hoped we were done with the UST.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/we-love-telly/2009/06/karen-gillan-and-the-windy-car.html
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

deano_ue

the only problem i have the look of the 2 new stars screams twilight bah

Kommando

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on June 06, 2009, 09:29:33 PM
the only problem i have the look of the 2 new stars screams twilight bah

I had no idea vampires wore tweed jackets with a bowtie.  Matt Smith on set in costume.

Also.  Tom Baker to reprise his role as the Doctor in five audio adventures.

marhawkman

Hehe, this will be amusing. :)

Volsung

OMg! George Mcfly   ^^

Wait?! tennant COuld play Bilbo baggins?!!!

Kommando

Avalon

Somehow I got hooked on this when they showed it on PBS the last year. I don't why but I am.
I will be more hooked when that redheaded companion shows up.

Side note: About time Tom Baker sold out. He waited too long.
Side Side Note: Tom Baker wants to play The Master!!! How cool would that be?

Avalon

If you look at the whole history of the who has been playing Dr. Who, each one keeps getting younger and younger (sort of). Ironic.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I just found out who the Doctor's companion for 10th Doctor's last showing will be.

Spoiler

While Donna will appear in the episode, her grandfather Wilf will actually be serving as the Doctor's companion.  This I like.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

marhawkman

Grandfather? This should be amusing...

B A D

It would be horribly ironic if  in the last episode everyone makes an appearance and still somehow the Doctor manages to die alone.
It would be the perfect end for Ten.

Talavar

I just saw the most recent Doctor Who special, the last before the allegedly 2-part Xmas special, Waters of Mars.

Spoiler
And I didn't care much for it at all.  Most of the episode is fine, if nothing special: the Doctor arrives at the 1st human Mars outpost, not realizing it is the first.  When he does, he remembers that they die tragically, self-detonating to prevent an unknown contamination from spreading.  He knows he should leave because the deaths are very important to humanity's future, but when the unknown contamination starts becoming known, his curiosity keeps him staying around.  Finally he decides that being a time lord means cheating fate, and the uninfected members of the crew moments before the nuclear detonation.

And that's where it goes stupid.  It'd be perfectly reasonable to save the people and retain the same future by simply taking them to live on another planet, or in the future, or the past, but instead, he takes them back to Earth on the very same day.  Two crew members freak out & run off, but the Captain, having already been told of the importance of her death to her immediate descendants, gets awfully irate at the man she's only met that day for saving her life, goes into her house & kills herself, supposedly to preserve the timeline.  Which is also grossly stupid - there's no way a heroic sacrifice on Mars plays them same to her daughter & granddaughter, not to mention the world at large, as a suicide does.  And if the Doctor had really decided to start playing god in a serious way, he has a time machine.  The moment he heard the gunshot he could have gone back in time 5 minutes and been waiting in the Captain's house for her.  Throw in a little heavy-handed foreshadowing, and we're done.

So a mediocre episode with a terrible ending.  Seriously, I've seen pieces of cheesecloth with less holes in them than this ending.