News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Doctor Who

Started by Talavar, January 03, 2009, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Fires of Pompei and Planet of the Ood were two of the worst ones, in my and most other peopels estimation that I have seen.

Agree with the others in that list though.

Add to that Blink and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, both of which have scared people to the point where they refuse to watch the show anymore.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Kenn

Melanie Bush?  Bush was her surname?   I thought Melanie's Bush was a reference to that hair-do.

One of the things that I like about "Doctor Who" is that it's sort of a science fiction-horror-comedy often at the same time.  Take "Blink", already touted as one of the best stories, on the one hand, we have this great, horrific, scary group of monsters, with this VERY science fictiony way of removing people, but when I wasn't being scared, I was laughing at lines like "<Look to your left> 'I think that's a political statement'."

That, and we have this VERY geeky, thinking man's, action hero.  If you were ever the kid who was picked on or ignored because you were bookish, or smart, or "had your head in the clouds", or just generally out-of-step with your peers, here was a hero you could identify with.   The Doctor is all of these things. 
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

martialstorm

Looking forward to the Doctor guest starring on Sarah Jane written by Russell T Davies. I'm guessing they will work in the Tennant pre-regeneration scene somehow.

Re: Colin Baker here's a couple of things:
1) If you get a chance, check out the commentary on the Caves of Androzani DVD where Peter Davison remarks how unfair it was for his Doctor to get shot, blown up then poisoned and after all that...has to turn into Colin Baker!
2) I'd recommend picking up a few of the audio adventures. Colin Baker puts in some much better performances, there's also some nice crossovers with Doctors 6,7 and 8.
3) I don't blame Colin Baker for being irritable and short tempered. If your pants were hitched that high, the resulting wedgie would make anyone moody  ;)

Mr. Hamrick

Anyone heard a release date on the Christmas special?  I am assuming that it will be out later here in the US than in the UK.

Oh, and has anyone seen the new series of Dr. Pepper commercials with Dr. Dre and Gene Simmons doing a pitch then ending it with "Trust me, I'm a doctor."  (Dre has done one that I know of, Simmons and KISS have done two that I know of.)    Why not do a Dr. Pepper commercial with Doctor Who?  Something about Dr. Pepper having an "out of this world taste" or a "timeless" taste.  (There were some retro Dr. Pepper cans done recently and they've ran with that.)  After all, you can trust that man - He's a Doctor. or THE Doctor.  I would assume you would use Matt Smith but you could argue going with Tennant.  or do a series of them with different Doctors.

Talavar

I've heard that the Xmas special is actually airing on the same day in the US and the UK.

Mr. Hamrick

Great!

I had to leave for a set right after posting that.  Didn't have time to look it up.  

Thanks.
http://youtu.be/98x9FwsqzHQ

Talavar

Christmas has come, and with it a new Doctor Who Christmas special!

Spoiler
As the episode opens, we are introduced to a world where the planet's unusual atmosphere conditions are controlled by one, rather bitter old man.  Amy and Rory are honeymooning on a space cruiser that's going to crash into that world because the old man won't open a flight corridor for their ship.  And the Doctor arrives to save the day.  Unable to simple override the controls himself, the Doctor decides to Christmas Carol the old man, changing him to be a better person.

It's an enjoyable episode.  Despite the looming ship crash, the episode is low on action or danger for the most part, focusing more on some quite nice character work.  The day is saved without much of a hat-pull, and almost everyone gets a happy ending.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Saw it and loved it.  My problem with the other Christmas specials is they are set at Christmas and in some cases Santa lookalikes chase after the heroes, but other than that the specials have had nothing to do with Christmas really.  This one was a full out well done Christmas story with all the fun and humor one expects of Doctor Who.  Definitely the best Christmas special so far for the new series.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

From SlashDot
Quote"In a veritable Who's Who of Doctor Who, 10th Doctor David Tennant is marrying Georgia Moffett, the daughter of 5th Doctor Peter Davison, who played the Doctor's daughter in an episode of Doctor Who. Except that the Doctor's daughter was a clone of the Doctor, which meant that she really was Who. So a newer Doctor is marrying an older Doctor's daughter, who is a clone of the newer doctor, but only has half the DNA of the older Doctor."
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Talavar

Weird.  I remember hearing that they were dating, but Tennant also dated another of the show's guest stars (the woman who played Madame Pompadour).

Reepicheep

Quote from: Glitch Girl on January 06, 2011, 01:40:24 AM
From SlashDot
Quote"In a veritable Who's Who of Doctor Who, 10th Doctor David Tennant is marrying Georgia Moffett, the daughter of 5th Doctor Peter Davison, who played the Doctor's daughter in an episode of Doctor Who. Except that the Doctor's daughter was a clone of the Doctor, which meant that she really was Who. So a newer Doctor is marrying an older Doctor's daughter, who is a clone of the newer doctor, but only has half the DNA of the older Doctor."

And before you know it, he's his own grandpa.