News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Doctor Who

Started by Talavar, January 03, 2009, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just saw Part 1 of End of Time.  It looks like the big bads this time around are

Spoiler
The Time Lords themselves, who are apparently returning at the expense of the rest of the universe

It oddly fluctuates between sheer awesomeness and some of the silliness that occassionaly pokes through on Dr. Who, but overall I like it. Love Wilf as the featured companion, although

Spoiler
Dr Donna is back as well
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GhostMachine

I'm wondering if Wilf is going to turn out to be....

Spoiler
a. A Time Lord who used a device like the Doctor and Master have both used to become human

b. A non-Time Lord Gallifreyan who has lost his memory for some reason. (Not all Gallifreyans are/were Time Lords....or at least they weren't in the old series...and I don't think its been explained at all if all Gallifreyans have two hearts or if its just the Time Lords who do)

Not looking forward to the Doctor regenerating at all, because David Tennant is my second favorite Doctor (Tom Baker being my favorite; Tennant bumped Jon Pertwee to third) and I don't like the way Matt Smith looks as the Doctor from the pictures I've seen. (Plus David Tennant and I both have the same birthday; April 18th, 1971) The new logo design they're going to have looks like crap, too.

If they don't kill off the Master, I hope at least they have him regenerate.

And the first thing the Doctor needs to do when he meets the other Time Lords is ask who the idiot was who thought reviving the Master to fight in the Time War was a good idea!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Interesting.  If this is the case, then it might be even more interesting if it were to turn out that

Spoiler
The Time Lord narrator is a regenerated Wilf.

Okay, not likely but possible.

Another thing I thought of is that it's possible that the tenth Doctor may not regenerate at all.  Perhaps he dies for real, but the Time Lords remove his mind from Donna and use it to recreate The Doctor anew.  Probably not even remotely close, but it occurred to me for some reason.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Of course I was dead wrong, but I liked how it all worked out, and we had a villain who was not the Daleks and was quite unexpected until Part 1.

Goodbye Tenth Doctor.  We will miss you.

GhostMachine

Well, I watched part 2 and it was pretty good except for a few things...which I blame on RTD being an idiot, and I'm extremely glad he's gone:

Spoiler
1. The Doctor calling the Narrator "Rassilon". I thought it had been long established in the old series that Rassilon wasn't around any more. Then again, its always possible that "Rassilon" is a formal title and not an actual name, so it wasn't the same Time Lord.

2. Considering what caused the Doctor to regenerate and the fact it started as soon as it did, it was lame that the Doctor was able to go to all the places he did and do all the things he did before it fully kicked in. Especially considering that some of his regenerations have been caused by things that would have been less immediately lethal and the regenerations happened quickly after the trigger.

3. The identity of Claire Bloom's identity being unresolved. Apparently Claire Bloom said in an interview that she was playing the Doctor's mother, but it seems to me that its more likely she was either Susan or Romana. (I'd go with Susan, because I don't think his brief shock and emotional reaction to seeing her would have been as strong if it was Romana)

The Doctor's reactions after the regeneration were funny. But since they also did that ginger bit when the 9th regenerated into the 10th, if I remember right, I'm hoping the eventual payoff is that the 12th Doctor is a ginger!

bredon7777

I'll have to watch it again, but I thought

Spoiler
The Doctor said "Go JOIN Rassilon", meaning that he was sending the Time Lord President into the same extinction that had claimed Rassilon, not that the Time Lord President WAS Rassilon

Geronimooooooo!
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

Tomato

Honestly brendon that makes more sense, since
Spoiler
he's only referred to by that name one time, He's just president otherwise. However it's possible he's been ressurrected, which is not inconcievable considering how many times the Master has come back.

Interestingly, I've heard a rumor the woman might have been Donna. Noble's music plays when the woman appears, and when Wilf asks about her, the doctor looks at Donna a long time before evading the question.

All in all though, I'm more or less satisfied they've tied off the Time Lords storyline... Now that it's closed off, we can more or less move on

catwhowalksbyhimself

You know, a more simple solution to the President naming thing is that people are very often named after famous or important historical figures.  Or bredon could be right too.

Talavar

I enjoyed the second part more than the first, and was happy that the 10th doctor got a chance to wrap a lot of storylines up before regenerating; it eased the sting of him leaving.

B A D

They could have brought back Rassilon if they were losing the war badly enough. They brought back the Master, after all.

I thought the ending was fairly good. His visiting Rose last would have had much greater impact if we didn't know she  was snogging 10 1/2 in the alternate dimension and probably making galibabies with him.

The one thing that perturbed me the most was the concept of his regeneration being "dying." Thats never been canon. When he regenned' from 9 to 10 he carried on the same conversation without missing a beat. He's always retained all his memories. (School Reunion, Sarah Jane for example).
It would have made more sense if he thought he was really gonna bite it.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

House Quake

Quote from: B A D on January 14, 2010, 03:02:37 PM
They could have brought back Rassilon if they were losing the war badly enough. They brought back the Master, after all.

I thought the ending was fairly good. His visiting Rose last would have had much greater impact if we didn't know she  was snogging 10 1/2 in the alternate dimension and probably making galibabies with him.

The one thing that perturbed me the most was the concept of his regeneration being "dying." Thats never been canon. When he regenned' from 9 to 10 he carried on the same conversation without missing a beat. He's always retained all his memories. (School Reunion, Sarah Jane for example).
It would have made more sense if he thought he was really gonna bite it.

the memories live on...but all that made up his personality ceases to exist and is replaced.  So the aspect that made him 'individual' does in a sense die.  I've thought for a long time that some where out there in some demension... there's a race of humanoids whose sole purpose were to live thier own lives and wait for thier existance to be called and merged with a dying time lord.  They lose thier own memeories, which are replaced by the time lord's,  but retain all the aspects which molded thier personalities.

marhawkman

It'd be amusing if Claire was both. :)  revealing that Romana was the Doctor's mother would be neat.

In the old series didn't they at some point hint that the Doctor was some sort of reincarnation of Rassilon?

Talavar

Interesting tidbit: Neil Gaiman's going to write (or has written) an episode of Doctor Who for next season.  By 'next season' I'm meaning what will be the 11th Doctor's second season.

Talavar

Just saw the first episode of the new season, the Eleventh Hour.  I don't feel like doing a full review at the moment, but overall my impression was quite favourable.  The new Doctor was very enjoyable, as were the other new characters, and I think the series is in strong hands with Stephen Moffat at the helm.  Anyone else catch this yet?  It airs on BBC America in a couple of weeks as well, I think.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Talavar on April 07, 2010, 11:44:29 PM
Just saw the first episode of the new season, the Eleventh Hour.  I don't feel like doing a full review at the moment, but overall my impression was quite favourable.  The new Doctor was very enjoyable, as were the other new characters, and I think the series is in strong hands with Stephen Moffat at the helm.  Anyone else catch this yet?  It airs on BBC America in a couple of weeks as well, I think.

I saw it online, though it took me a while to find it. (Darn BBC. <_< ) It was well worth it though. I really liked the new Doctor, and the episode itself was of the same goodness that one is to expect from Moffat.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

catwhowalksbyhimself

Saw it as well, and was very pleased with the Eleventh Doctor so far.  It looks to me like they made the right call with the actor.  He just seems to nail the Doctor about as well as Tennant did.  I was sceptical as to whether someone would be able to successfully follow him, but it looks like Smith has succeeded nicely.  Amy Pond also seems to be a potentially interesting character, and I like that we aren't saddled with her annoying family for once.  She doesn't have any.

I'm curious as to whether the TARDIS itself has ever regenerated like that before.  Also, am I the only one who would like to see more of the TARDIS's hinted huge interior?  Somehow that idea that it is large enough to have a library and swimming pool interests me.  Basically, the Doctor and companions must live there, so it would be a full house with bedrooms and all, but we never really see beyond the control room.

Tawodi Osdi

I remember seeing Romanesque gardens in the old Tom Baker ones, or was that his replacement?  It's been ages.

daglob

One of the Tom Baker esisodes (The Invasion of Time?) a Sontaran got loose in the Tardis. He led them a merry chase through all sorts of rooms...

And I remember the cloister...

and the Elizabethan control room...

and maybe a swimming pool...

and The Doctor basically stealing his 1980s control room from The Master's Tardis (or something like that)...

Talavar

And in one of the early Tennant episodes (perhaps the end of his very first) we saw a huge wardrobe room on the Tardis - it's not just bigger on the inside, but much bigger than they ever actually show.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The wardrobe room hasn't been shown, I don't think, but it has been mentioned repeatedly, and from the references, seems to be so large that anyone of any size and of either gender can find anything he or she might want to blend in with any era.

So, yeah, it seems the TARDIS interior is pretty huge.

Talavar

Tardis Wardrobe:

I was right, it is from Tennant's first episode.

crimsonquill

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 08, 2010, 08:59:28 PM
The wardrobe room hasn't been shown, I don't think, but it has been mentioned repeatedly, and from the references, seems to be so large that anyone of any size and of either gender can find anything he or she might want to blend in with any era.

The wardrobe room WAS shown during the first official episode of Tennant's run as The Doctor. It was a room filled with a large staircase that had like a drycleaner track following just above it and it was stuffed with clothes. You see him pulling various items from the rack until he finally spots the trenchcoat which he wore most of the time during his first year as the Doctor. You can also see on a dummy at one point a certain outfit with a scarf (Tom Baker's years was a favorite of the producers as you could constantly tell)

wait a sec.. .. this is from "The Christmas Invasion" when it was shown.

Here is the scene itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHN7o1fKx8

And as you can tell I'm a big fan of Doctor Who myself..

- CQ

Edit: D'oh!  :ph34r: Ninjaed by Talavar
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I've seen that episode two or three time, but never saw that scene, or at least never noticed the wardrobe.  Odd.

crimsonquill

I found this on Wikipedia:

QuoteThe TARDIS interior has a vast number of rooms and corridors. The exact dimensions of the interior have not been specified, but apart from living quarters, the interior includes an art gallery (which is actually an ancillary power station), a greenhouse, library, a bathroom with a swimming pool (which was jettisoned by the Seventh Doctor in Paradise Towers after it sprang a leak), a medical bay, several brick-walled storage areas (all seen in The Invasion of Time, 1978), and a secondary control room (with ornate wood panels, and was used for a time by the Fourth Doctor).[4] Portions of the TARDIS can also be isolated or reconfigured; the Doctor was able to jettison 25% of the TARDIS's structure in Castrovalva to provide additional "thrust".

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

yell0w_lantern

It's dimensionally transcendental - like Snoopy's doghouse.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Talavar

A couple of more episodes have aired, the Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks.  I'm still really enjoying the 11th Doctor and his new companion Amy, though neither of these episodes was really great.  I preferred the Beast Below of the two, and neither was bad - I'm not saying that.  Just...minor.  One gets the feeling that the important episodes are still to come, but here's some to pass the time.

Next week sees the return of the creepy Weeping Angel statues, and River from the Library of the Dead 2-parter.  It looks like one of those more important episodes I was mentioning above.

B A D

BBC America has only aired The Eleventh Hour so far. I enjoyed it.  Admittedly , I'm much more smitten with Amy than with the Doctor, for obvious reasons. The feel of the show is much more Pertwee and Baker (campy and irreverent ) than the lonely god Doctor that Tennant portrayed. I hope it continues to be fun.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

catwhowalksbyhimself

This last episode seems to be hinting at the season's main plot, so I'd say it was at least supposed to be important, not to mention the unveiling of a new version of the

Spoiler
Daleks, as if you hadn't already guessed

The hint I'm referring to, emphasized at the end of the episode

Spoiler
Is that somehow the Dalek invasion at the end of season 4 seems to have been erased from history.  At least Amy has no knowledge of it.

cmdrkoenig67

The wardrobe room has been shown in the new series...Right after Ten regens and recovers, I believe.  He changes out of the jim-jams that Rose's mother put him in.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Whoops!...I missed your posts about the wardrobe, Talavar and CQ.

Apologies.

Dana

Quote from: crimsonquill on April 08, 2010, 09:29:53 PM

The wardrobe room WAS shown during the first official episode of Tennant's run as The Doctor. It was a room filled with a large staircase that had like a drycleaner track following just above it and it was stuffed with clothes. You see him pulling various items from the rack until he finally spots the trenchcoat which he wore most of the time during his first year as the Doctor. You can also see on a dummy at one point a certain outfit with a scarf (Tom Baker's years was a favorite of the producers as you could constantly tell)

wait a sec.. .. this is from "The Christmas Invasion" when it was shown.

Here is the scene itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHN7o1fKx8

And as you can tell I'm a big fan of Doctor Who myself..

- CQ

Edit: D'oh!  :ph34r: Ninjaed by Talavar