News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

Quote from: Talavar on September 28, 2011, 07:26:13 PM
Yeah, I first posted that link in February.  It's not exactly news any more.

Was news to me, I guess :)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

AfghanAnt

Quote from: murs47 on September 29, 2011, 04:42:45 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 28, 2011, 06:45:09 PM
Miles Morales is really shaping up to be my favorite new character from any comic publisher. He's young and everything is so new and the art is superb. Only crit, needs mo' action now.

Issue two was amazing! In fact, this Ultimate line re-launch has been amazing!

Completely agree.

murs47

Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be awesome.

Miles Morales = win

lugaru

Anyone reading Punisher Max?

:blink:

The book, uhm... wow. Jason Aaron is not pulling punches, and this is very much his own universe now.

Still loving it though, maybe moreso, but I definately see it as a "what if" now.

Talavar

Quote from: lugaru on October 13, 2011, 09:28:19 PM

The book, uhm... wow. Jason Aaron is not pulling punches, and this is very much his own universe now.

Still loving it though, maybe moreso, but I definately see it as a "what if" now.

Okay, now I need spoilers.  If you would be so kind...?

lugaru

Quote from: Talavar on October 13, 2011, 11:53:59 PM
Quote from: lugaru on October 13, 2011, 09:28:19 PM

Okay, now I need spoilers.  If you would be so kind...?

Well lets see (just got home a little tipsy, but will try to refrain from colorful language)

Spoiler
On one of the first pages Frank blows out Bulleyes brains, while he is in a coma. Yeah...  Then you are treated to Elektra having sex with both the Kingpin AND his wife who hired her to get close and assassinate him. And finally Frank digs up The Kingpins sons body, in a final effort to make the kingpin come to him, because he does not have enough firepower to take on the kingpin on his own territory. Basically Jason Aaron is burning the candle at both ends, and not only is the Kingpin going to die but Frank probably will too. I dont care, since it is a max book, but it still has a major "holy %#@@ factor".

Cardmaster

My Marvel picks this week:

-Ultimate Spider-Man #3: Man, this comic is still freakin' on-point. The art is flawless, the script is great.. I just can't wait for him to actually put on the suit! The foundation has all been laid for some awesome adventures now.
-X-Men Regenesis: This was.. Interesting. Kind of a regret purchase now though, because it felt like a long commercial for the upcoming series of [too many] X-Books. Which, I mean, it was. But what was up with the cavemen allegorical segments? Very strange.
-Amazing Spider-Man #671: Man. I almost don't want Spider Island to end! This has just been oodles of fun! One of my favorite cross-overs in a long time. Love the script, and I especially love how Jackal is drawn in this book. His facial expressions are HILARIOUS.
-Casanova: Avarita #2: Loving the art in this book and I love the idea... but man, they really aren't doing any favors to make the story any more understandable, huh? Confusing as hell with some (usually) delightfully trippy visuals. Don't know if I'll be picking up #3, but it's been good so far.. (But at $4.99 a pop, eesh. I mean, it's awesome there are no ads, but man.)
-New Avengers #17: I don't think I've ever bought a non-Ultimate Avengers book before this one.. but the premise sounded fun and I heard it was a good jumping-on point. Y'know what? It really was. I really enjoyed the chemistry between all the members of the team, it had a nice mix of humor and action... Considering subscribing to this one.

So those are my Marvel pulls this week.. I'll definitely be continuing with Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man, will probably be adding New Avengers, and I need to make a decision about which X-Book(s) I want to follow.. Am considering Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Force? Need to decide.. Don't think I'll be continuing with Casanova though; I'll wait for the trade...

- :cardmaster
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Podmark

Uncanny X-Force is a very good book Card, if you haven't been reading it I'd recommend it.

Schism was hot and cold for me but I really liked the Regenesis one shot. I ws particularly impressed with how much of the X-Men cast was hit on and how well the explanations for choosing a side worked for me. I'm going to try out both Uncanny and Wolverine and the X-Men but I'm not really sure what to expect from either.

I'm also enjoying Spider-Island and it appears we have a new Scarlet Spider incoming. Colour me intrigued.

EDIT: Opps wrote X-Men instead of X-Force.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Haha...I'm obviously not following what's going on in Marvel with any particular attention, but I came across this today, and it made me laugh.:
http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/204-rus-wooton
I thought I'd share it with y'all.  So, we've seen DC going back to the 90's...perhaps Marvel is going back to the 80's. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

deano_ue

just finished fear itself, my god was that a bloody car wreck

and as for the tease as much as a fan i am of the character, meh

Previsionary

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 20, 2011, 02:52:34 PM

I keep warning you people about getting involved in these events, and you all keep finding reasons, even VERY mundane ones, to spend your monies on it. I don't know why you act surprised and expect different results year after year, UE. If you wanna waste your money, I know a mogul in Africa that needs your help....  <_<
Disappear when you least expe--

Cardmaster

Quote from: Podmark on October 15, 2011, 02:28:32 AM
Uncanny X-Men is a very good book Card, if you haven't been reading it I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the tip, Pod! I'll check that one out this month... :)

Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

AfghanAnt

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 20, 2011, 02:52:34 PM

Yet another event that took away things that I loved...

murs47

Fear Itself...ugh!

It started out really well but ended so poorly.

Previsionary

speaking of poor:

QuoteToday Comic Book Resources has announced that Marvel Comics is expected to lay off as many as 15 employees as purely a cost-cutting measure. The lay offs come right on the heels of the lay off of Chief Operating Officer Jim "Ski" Sokolowski two weeks ago. Although Marvel has made no official announcement of the staff cuts, there have been information leaks and tweets about who has gotten the axe at the company. Editors Alejandro Arbona and Jody LeHeup, assistant editor Rachel Pinnelas, and production artist Damien Lucchese are among the names of those that have been let go – with more to come.

Industry news site ICv2 has tried to contact Marvel for confirmation but Marvel has declined to comment.
Rich Johnston at Bleeding Cool has a very interesting article laying out what's going on at Marvel and how the cuts by Isaac Perlmutter are adversely affecting the publishing arm. Here are some selections from the must-read article.
More: http://comicbookcritic.net/2011/10/20/marvel-makes-cuts-lays-off-up-to-15-employees/

BlueBard

Would that Marvel would get rid of certain writers as well.

And never, ever, ever give Liefield any more work.

Talavar

Re: Fear Itself 7....
Spoiler
didn't Thor just come back to life pretty recently?  And with him being featured in both Avengers this summers and a Thor sequel in the not too distant future, I can't imagine this dirtnap being a long one.  Is Thor becoming Marvel's new Jean Grey?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Talavar on October 21, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
Spoiler
didn't Thor just come back to life pretty recently?  And with him being featured in both Avengers this summers and a Thor sequel in the not too distant future, I can't imagine this dirtnap being a long one.  Is Thor becoming Marvel's new Jean Grey?

Recent as in nearly 6 years ago? Regardless
Spoiler
gods
never stay dead...not even the good ones.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Previsionary on October 20, 2011, 10:43:33 PM
speaking of poor:

QuoteToday Comic Book Resources has announced that Marvel Comics is expected to lay off as many as 15 employees as purely a cost-cutting measure. The lay offs come right on the heels of the lay off of Chief Operating Officer Jim "Ski" Sokolowski two weeks ago. Although Marvel has made no official announcement of the staff cuts, there have been information leaks and tweets about who has gotten the axe at the company. Editors Alejandro Arbona and Jody LeHeup, assistant editor Rachel Pinnelas, and production artist Damien Lucchese are among the names of those that have been let go – with more to come.

Industry news site ICv2 has tried to contact Marvel for confirmation but Marvel has declined to comment.
Rich Johnston at Bleeding Cool has a very interesting article laying out what's going on at Marvel and how the cuts by Isaac Perlmutter are adversely affecting the publishing arm. Here are some selections from the must-read article.
More: http://comicbookcritic.net/2011/10/20/marvel-makes-cuts-lays-off-up-to-15-employees/

More on the cutbacks & working conditions.
article here
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Talavar

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 21, 2011, 04:13:32 PM
Spoiler

Spoiler
gods

Okay, it's a little longer ago than I realized.

Previsionary

Quote from: Talavar on October 21, 2011, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 21, 2011, 04:13:32 PM
Spoiler

Spoiler
gods

Okay, it's a little longer ago than I realized.

I'm beginning to think that Thor has it in his contract to die at least twice a decade.

cmdrkoenig67

Marvel has also set Alpha Flight back to being just a 8 issue Maxi (after announcing that it would be an ongoing)... :angry:  Forget you, Marvel.

Dana   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Podmark

Quote from: Cardmaster on October 20, 2011, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: Podmark on October 15, 2011, 02:28:32 AM
Uncanny X-Men is a very good book Card, if you haven't been reading it I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the tip, Pod! I'll check that one out this month... :)

Opps, Card I actually meant Uncanny X-FORCE. Totally wrote the wrong word. Silly Marvel with their similar title.
Uncanny X-Men is just starting a new era so I can't give any recommendation.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 21, 2011, 05:44:01 PM
More on the cutbacks & working conditions.
article here

Okay, here's the problem:

EDIT: Juust in case that's a little too obscure... Marvel's CEO looks like he stepped out of an episode of 'The Office'.  C'mon, guys!  It's funny!

Previsionary

You're rude, Bluebard. So rude! Get out! (j/k)

So, I'm reading Wolverine & The X-men #1 right now. I haven't read an x-book of any kind in MONTHS. It's been at least half a year. I'll let you all know what I think. I can tell you right off the back that I still don't care for Bachalo's art. It's rarely worked for me, and the last time I saw it (X-men and Spider-man), it left me cold... and confused.

Xenolith

Daredevil is really fun.  So are the Marvel Super Adventures books.

Previsionary

Wolverine and the X-men #1:

A big ol' pile of MEH from me. I disliked the art, the book was kinda slow, and I didn't agree with some characterization, but then again, I'm missing months of "development." Interesting faculty list, and when did Kid Gladiator enter the picture? He looked horrible under Bachalo's pen. Sorry. Also, some traditions hold up on the X-mansion front, Aaron remembered something about Iceman's long forgotten career, and the new Black King showed up and dropped bombs in the final few pages. Actually, he pretty much laid out why he's a villain and what he's doing, and that's bluh. So, there you go.

Also, someone tell me this rendition of Kitty doesn't look like a brunette Psylocke:

Podmark

I also read Wolverine and the X-Men #1 but I had a different reaction - I thought it was great! One of the comics I've enjoyed the most this year. Granted I am a sucker for any New X-Men appearances, and Bachalo is probably my favorite artist. I found the issue thoroughly enjoyable and quite funny, if every issue is like this I'll be quite happy.

I also read the conclusion to Spider-Island. I liked it, it's nothing super special though. Kaine's characterization is way off though, Slott writes him like Peter instead of Kaine, I'm curious if that will follow into the new series. Also Mary Jane may have kept her Spider powers, which could be interesting.

Also Avengers Academy continues to be a very solid book that I highly recommend to everyone. This issue wraps up some plot threads and sets up the book's new status quo with the Academy moving to the old West Coast Avengers HQ and opening up the school to new students.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

I don't think Wolvie/X-men was a bad book at all, but Bachalo isn't an artist that fits X-men to me, and the writing left me cold in a few places. The book, as a whole, wasn't enough to make me want to pick up X-men anymore, so I guess my hiatus stands.

Also, I now assume I was right about Kid Gladiator being a new character? I didn't voice that here but elsewhere. Also, Pod, didn't you say you were gonna do a highlight on New X-men for me? Still waiting, jerk! :D

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on October 28, 2011, 04:11:23 AM
Also, I now assume I was right about Kid Gladiator being a new character? I didn't voice that here but elsewhere. Also, Pod, didn't you say you were gonna do a highlight on New X-men for me? Still waiting, jerk! :D

Yeah Kid Gladiator is a new character I'm pretty sure. I like him in theory, having an arrogant alien likely will fit with this goofy setup Aaron seems to have built, can't say much about the actual character yet. However, presumably he's the son of Gladiator which I don't think fits into continuity.

Yes...I keep forgetting about that highlight. I'll see if I can get it finished sometime soon.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page