News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

I can deal with character deaths, as long as they're well written and story progressive (Classic Squadron Supreme-No one died just because). But my biggest peeve is bringing the character back just to have him/her back. Even though DC has been doing this forever, they at least have legacy heroes who attempt to not only fill the void left by whichever character's death, but they usually allow the new character to grow as individual characters.

Previsionary

Wow, I remember this thread. It's been so long. Remember when reviews used to be posted in this thread? Lol, good times. *destroys thread because of Podmark*  :loupitchfork
Disappear when you least expe--

B A D

Well, lets get it moving.

Marvel I have been reading : Which is saying a lot, b/c for a while there I wasn't reading any.

Hickman's Freedom Foundation  - The FF in any incarnation done right is awesome

S.H.I.E.L.D  - Hickman my be my new Mark  Waid.

The Avengers, New,  Regular, and Secret - So far, I must say I am not unhappy. Each one gives a different flavor of the Avengers, (although the New Avengers are indeed the Defenders, but thats cool.)

Herc- Love Herc

That's it right now. No X-Books, still can't break that barrier.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Pod 2.0

Quote from: Previsionary on August 18, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
*destroys thread because of Podmark*  :loupitchfork

Leave that nice Mister Podmark alone. That kind gentleman can't even access his old account.

Quote from: B A D on August 18, 2011, 12:18:31 PM
The Avengers, New,  Regular, and Secret - So far, I must say I am not unhappy. Each one gives a different flavor of the Avengers, (although the New Avengers are indeed the Defenders, but thats cool.)

I'm quite enjoying Avengers Academy myself. I highly recommend it.

Talavar

I second Avengers Academy - it's a great book!

Previsionary

Looks like Alpha Flight is becoming an on-going book. They're safe from Bendis for a few more issues!

Bloodshadow

Anybody read Fear Itself #6 yet?
I don't get mine til next tues. so I'm just curious about whats happening and not patient enough to wait :)

cmdrkoenig67

I'm really enjoying Alpha Flight...It's really messed up (but in a good, I can't put this book down sort of way)....I'm very happy it's now an ongoing series (I hope it lasts a few years).

Spoiler
Alpha Flight is on the run from their own government, thanks to the new Prime Minister (former ally, Gary Cody), Marrina is a teen with a bad attitude, Heather/Vindicator has apparently been brain-washed and has turned on the team, Jeanne Marie is posing as Aurora to fool Alpha Flight and Puck's alive again (not to mention, a bit insane)

Dana

murs47

Anyone read the new Ultimate Spider-Man?

It was good I suppose. Little on the short side, but still a great introduction to Miles and his family. But how is Norman legally free? That needs explaining ASAP. This should have been 40 pages.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: murs47 on September 16, 2011, 01:37:35 PM
Anyone read the new Ultimate Spider-Man?

It was good I suppose. Little on the short side, but still a great introduction to Miles and his family. But how is Norman legally free? That needs explaining ASAP. This should have been 40 pages.

It was 11 months ago which would have been before he was arrested.

Also it was a pretty damn good comic but I just wonder if the spider bite anyone else though.

murs47

Ooooooh. That makes a LOT more sense.

AfghanAnt

So it sounds like Cable: X-Sanction is going to be CablePoint...I'm not surprised given how much money DC (a company that hasn't outsold Marvel in many, many years) made with this relaunch. The problem is DC is having issues with keeping creative teams intact (there are several titles that are getting new creative teams by issue 4, some already have new creative teams by issue 2).

The state of comics are a mess these days.

murs47

Who's leaving which titles after a few issues? I really hope it's not Scott Snyder or Jeff Lemire.

Previsionary

Wait, Cable is back... or is coming back? I'm so behind on X-news... because I no longer care.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: murs47 on September 19, 2011, 07:47:53 PM
Who's leaving which titles after a few issues? I really hope it's not Scott Snyder or Jeff Lemire.

Static Shock and Blackhawks (another one I can't think of yet too). I'll find the article I read earlier this morning.  Oh and the artist on Suicide Squad.

And yes Prev, Cable is coming back to remove the Avengers from time. I'm hoping/guessing it has something to do with Scarlet Witch and M-Day.

murs47

There's Avengers stuck in time? I thought they were fighting Odin's brother.

*baffled*

Oh, ew. Yanick Pacquatte is off Swamp Thing by issue 4. Ugh! His art was frickin amazing in the first issue.

(December solicits were released a little bit ago. Changes are there.)

Podmark

Mister Terrific also has had a revolving door of artists.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Childrens' Crusade felt like it was worth the money for something other than the pretty pictures. I bought 4 comics today and it was the one that took the longest to read and I really loved certain parts but it feels like Doom is going to end up the father of Billy and Tommy.

Previsionary

Children's Crusade is STILL going? Good lord. I haven't picked up a single comic in a good 5 months, and I'm surprised storylines I was reading back then are still slowly crawling along. :(

lugaru

I think Childrens Crusade is bi-monthly meaning it has been peoples good book to fall back on for a while.

Right now I'm really grooving on the Daredevil reboot, it is pure caviar. The Punisher (616) reboot is not bad (love the art!) but the MAX book is consistently great.

Previsionary

Children's Crusade is semi-monthly, correct, but it's also way behind schedule. :D. Speaking of Daredevil, what happened with Black Panther? I hear he's joining the Avengers again, so how is that transition taking place?

Podmark

I liked Children's Crusade (and it looks fantastic!) but I found the X-Men were acting a bit like idiots. You things are screwy when Magneto is the most reasonable person there.
I'm really hoping Scott Lang and Iron Lad make out of the story intact.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Good news - Nova looks like he's coming back!  Bad news - Jeph Loeb is possibly writing it http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-point-one-teaser-110926.html

BlueBard

I thank my lucky stars for these threads.

Everytime I want to care about modern comics, I find another good reason not to buy any.  Can't tell you how much money and brain cells I've saved as a result, but it's a lot.

So the "leak" that Marvel's going to start killing main characters on a regular basis to generate sales hype... that doesn't raise my blood pressure like it might've.  Hey, these threads are even good for my cardiovascular heath!

Keep up the good work!  :thumbup:
STO/CO: @bluegeek

lugaru

I skipped the Black Panther in Hells Kitchen arc... as much as I like the character (and think Daredevil villains are perfect for him) I just did not hear much buzz around that storyline.

I have heard mentions of him becoming an avenger too... personally I would love to see him lead an international group of avengers, something outside of US authority, in case we get a civil war or Dark Reign again.

AfghanAnt

Miles Morales is really shaping up to be my favorite new character from any comic publisher. He's young and everything is so new and the art is superb. Only crit, needs mo' action now.

Previsionary

Not interested in Schism, so I haven't read it at all, but this intrigues me:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34628

and Jason has been answering some questions all over the place, and he plans to give Iceman and Beast some love, so I just might have to break my hiatus and give this book an arc. The line up is also quite eccentric for an X-book, especially if we count the last decade which has essentially been ONE steady team with very little change.

Line up (so far): Quentin Quire, Wolverine, Iceman, Beast, Doop, some NC looking guy, Kitty

With Wolvie as a headmaster, I guess he'll be less choppy choppy in the future? I know his arc in Wolverine was leading him in a more spiritual, less kill happy direction. How will his new job factor into his Avenger status as Bendis rarely takes into account anything that goes on with the X-men? Also, what's up with X-factor? Never would I imagine that'd be one of the largest X-teams. Now with Polaris and Havok rejoining the team (and Darwin missing), it might be in for a change of direction.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/10/105399/2021949-uncanny_x_men_wolverine_s_team.jpg

Previsionary

Quote from: BlueBard on September 27, 2011, 03:30:02 PM
I thank my lucky stars for these threads.

Everytime I want to care about modern comics, I find another good reason not to buy any.  Can't tell you how much money and brain cells I've saved as a result, but it's a lot.

So the "leak" that Marvel's going to start killing main characters on a regular basis to generate sales hype... that doesn't raise my blood pressure like it might've.  Hey, these threads are even good for my cardiovascular heath!

Keep up the good work!  :thumbup:

I'm surprised people have just started talking about this "leak" when I know it was talked about before FR died. In fact, I think I mentioned something about it and said something about not being surprised because it was happening in every event any way.

Talavar

Yeah, I first posted that link in February.  It's not exactly news any more.

murs47

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 28, 2011, 06:45:09 PM
Miles Morales is really shaping up to be my favorite new character from any comic publisher. He's young and everything is so new and the art is superb. Only crit, needs mo' action now.

Issue two was amazing! In fact, this Ultimate line re-launch has been amazing!