The Cancer saga (was:Good thoughts to Glitch Cat and me)

Started by Glitch Girl, August 20, 2012, 12:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

In a summer plagued by bad news, this is the worst so far.

My cat, known around here as Glitch Cat, had been a bit lethargic lately.  Last night, she was throwing up water a lot.  I took her to the emergency room and discovered she has a tumor on her spleen.

I am getting a second opinion tomorrow morning to find out what the options are.  Her kidneys and liver are good, and she's in good shape for an older cat, but if the tumor has spread there's little to be done. 

So all I ask is you keep her in your thoughts.

Thanks.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

captmorgan72

From one cat lover to another, I am sad to hear of this and hope the best. You mentioned that she is an older cat. If the worse turns out to be true, remember that you gave her a good life and will help her meet her end in dignity and mercy. If only we could do that for our human loved ones.

Alaric

Sending my best thoughts, feelings, and hopes to both of you.
Fear the "A"!!!

BentonGrey

I'm sorry GG, we in the Grey household know how tough that can be.  We hope for the best for you an Glitch Cat.  We'll keep y'all in our prayers.  What Captain Morgan said is true.  It means a lot to have given an animal a good home, one way or another.  However, here's hoping that there is time yet to enjoy her company!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

The tumor is inoperable.

I kind of expected as much, but part of me wanted to be wrong and that there would be something that could be done. 

The vet says she only has a few weeks left. 

She seems to be doing well - she's been acting like her old self since we got back.  The vet gave me a few things to help with her digestion and to keep her from getting dehydrated, but for now, it's a waiting game.  If she takes a turn for the worse, then we'll know.

There was a lot of crying involved.  And still is as I write this.  She's been with me for about 15 years and while I don't want her to suffer, I don't want to lose her either.  Sometimes seeing her at the door when I get home is the only good thing about the day.  She's been sweet and loving and playful and sometimes inadvertently funny and never seemed to completely grow out of kittenishness. 

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

XStream

I have sat here staring at my monitor for the last few minutes trying to think of what to say.

Glitchy you have undoubtfully provided Glitch Cat with a loving home. I am sorry to hear the vets diagnosis, and my prayers are with you and Glitch Cat.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Cyber Burn

Really sorry to hear this GG, my prayers go out to you both.

laughing paradox

I'm really sorry to hear that, GG. I know how a pet can be more than just a pet, it's a companion and a friend.

My niece and nephew had to put their dog to sleep recently. She had a nerve disorder and only would have been in intense pain. She got to the point that when she walked, she could barely raise her head. It was too painful to watch, let alone for her to endure. It's the right thing to do and just know you're giving your companion the kind of compassion that most people barely feel or share. I am truly sorry.

Panther_Gunn

I feel for ya, GG.  When my 17 year old passed last November (no, I *didn't* post about it, because....-->), I was a complete wreck.  If I remember right, it was a pretty fast downward spiral.  She went from her normal self (still stand-offish, barely beginning to tolerate my wife after almost 6 years) to not quite being able to make the jumps she used to, to not being able to walk very well, to not walking or standing at all, all within a month.  When I came home one day not long after that point, she hadn't left the bed all day, and when I picked her up, she was like a wet rag.  That's when I knew it was close.  I stayed with her that evening, and she was gone before bedtime.  I took the next day off work, and just stayed in bed, mostly.  I broke down again when I picked up her ashes from the Humane Society.  I still miss her, and it still gets to me at times when I think about her.  Some might think it's probably just my imagination, but I would almost swear that I felt her presence jump up onto the bed with me those first few nights, like she normally would.  The feeling of loss has definitely diminished, but it's not gone.  She was a special part of my life that I'll never get back, but I'll always remember.

*chokes up a little*   :(
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Tomato

I'm having a hard time finding words to say, or I guess type in this case, to bring you a little bit of comfort. I've been in a similar situation, I lost the first pet that truly bonded to me a few years ago to cancer (hell, the thread's probably in the archives somewhere). It just sucks. There's no medication that can make it better, there's nothing you could have done to keep it from happening, it's just random chance taking something you love away from you.

Dealing with death, regardless of whether it's a pet or a real human attachment, isn't easy. Sometimes it still hurts years down the line. But the only thing I can suggest is that you make her last days as comfortable as you can, and then when you're ready, find another pet to share that love with.  You can't bring them back, you can't replace them, but at least you'll have someone waiting for you to come home every day.

Outcast

It's sad to hear about your cat Glitch Girl. I think the only thing you can do is just try to cherish the memories you two had together and try to make her last remaining days with you as happy,memorable and comfortable as possible. Praying that when the time does come, it would at least be a painless/peaceful one.

Ares_God_of_War

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. I went though a similar thing with mine recently.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

The Hitman

I don't know what to say, except for how sorry I am for you and Glitch Cat. Losing a pet/friend is always tough.

BlueBard

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

I've had to give up two of them for different reasons, and while it isn't quite as traumatic as a death I can still relate to a feeling of loss. 

I hope you will be able to enjoy whatever time you have left with her, and that you'll be able to say good-bye.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

thalaw2

From one cat lover to another many good thoughts and prayers. 
革命不会被电视转播

cmdrkoenig67

Very sad to hear about your kitty, GG...This fellow cat-parent's thoughts are with you.

Dana

stumpy

:(

Sorry to hear about Glitch Cat, GG. Having lost a lovable feline furball in '08, I know just what you mean about having that reliable little companion who is happy to see you come home and would happily spend the afternoon letting you tease her with a bit of yarn.

At least GC seems a little more comfortable now. Enjoy the gift of her company while you can.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

The Phantom Eyebrow

Very sad to read this Glitchie.  I'm more of a dog than a cat man, but the principal is the same and losing a pet is always very upsetting.  All I can do really is wish you all the best, and echo Stumpy's words to make the best of the time remaining.  I will say though that, in time, it'll only be the good things that you remember.

Glitch Girl

Rest in Peace Rogue: aka Glitch Cat.

She started taking a turn for the worse thursday night.  I went home during my lunch on Friday and she wasn't in her usually sleeping spots, but under one of my shelves.  When she came out, she threw up bile, and that's when I called the vet.

It was surprisingly fast and peaceful.  The vet was very kind and he did the final treatment while she was in her favorite bed which I brought with us and let me brush her with her favorite brush as he administered the drug.  She just kind of stopped.  I'm having her cremated with one of her favorite toys, and will probably scatter the ashes under the window she liked to sit in and watch the world go by.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts.  She was with me for fifteen years.  I named her Rogue after the character class (nerd that I am) because she was clever and a bit sneaky and often got herself in trouble exploring things, not to mention her markings were like a black masked cowl with the cape draped over one paw.   She was very much a Jellicle cat, if you've ever read the poem by T.S. Elliot, and though I don't think I ever heard her caterwaul she did have the sweetest chirpy-purring noise she would make as a greeting.

In truth, this has been a terrible summer - months of car repair problems that still aren't resolved, bad reactions to medication that lead to depression until I bottomed out with suicidal feelings before I realized what was happening, work problems, a pay cut,  the new medication making my hair fall out, and then this.

I already miss her - there's that empty spot on the couch where her bed and her used to be nor the sound her at the door when I'm on the computer trying to type and she wants attention.  But oddly enough, it's a bit of a relief to know that she's not going to suffer, that when the end did come, it wasn't a lingering thing.

She was a good cat.
-Glitch Girl

RTTingle

Awwww... Rogue  :(

Sorry to hear this Glitch.  My condolences. 

-RTT

Podmark

I'm so sorry about your cat, Glitch.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

WyldFyre

My wife and I have been there.  Condolences from both of us for Rogue.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

Figure Fan

Reepicheep

I'm so sorry to hear that, Glitch. Its a terrible feeling losing a pet that was close to you. :(

I hope your summer and year improves, and I hope you can continue to find support here and elsewhere.

Amazo Version 2.2

i'm sorry about your loss glitch girl, i know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

BentonGrey

I'm very sorry GG.  The Grey's certainly understand, having lost our very special cat.  In the case of our boy, Ron, it gave me a good deal of comfort to reflect on the fact that he had a very sad and frustrating experience before the last few years he spent with us.  We were able to give him a great life, and of course he enriched ours in turn.  That made it somewhat easier to bear.  Our prayers are with you as you deal with her loss.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

My thoughts and prayers are with you GG, losing a pet is never easy.

crimsonquill

I'm very sorry GG. :-( I would be very lonely without my special cat in my life as well. My prayers are with you as you deal with her loss.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

Sorry to hear about your cat along with your other woes. As a cat owner myself I can definitely sympathize.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa