The Cancer saga (was:Good thoughts to Glitch Cat and me)

Started by Glitch Girl, August 20, 2012, 12:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reepicheep

Its great to read some positive news, Glitch. I know a few folk who have had less than a little fun in a similar situation, but hearing that the doctors have a positive outlook so far is really great.

The Phantom Eyebrow

As has been said already, early detection is the key, and its great to hear that the prognosis is good.  Stay strong and stay positive; you're in our thoughts and we're sending our very best wishes to you Glitchie. 

JeyNyce

Nothing but the best for you GG!  Stay positive!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

SickAlice

I'm a big animal and cat lover. Sorry to hear this. Best of everything and strength in dealing with this to you and yours.

Glitch Girl

Update:

I have spent more time at the clinic than I ever care to, but now we have a surgery day scheduled - specifically the 16th.  I have to be there by 6:15 am (ack) and it is outpatient, so at least when I'm conscious again, I'll be at home. 

Today was, among other things, an MRI.  It felt like something out of a 70's sci-fi movie.  Big white tube thing and lots of weird electronic noises.  If it were a sci-fi movie though, it would have been extremely boring, since the procedure involved lying there while it scanned for 15-20 minutes.  I think I almost fell asleep. 

I took a dry run out to where I'll be having radiation treatment - it's only 10 minutes from work so I can do it during lunch. I'd prefer to do it after work since it's supposed to leave you tired, but they close to early for that. 

ADDENDUM:
I got a call this morning about the MRI.  There are three suspicious spots (not yet masses) that they want to check out.  It may be nothing (God, I hope they're nothing), but I still need to go in for an additional ultrasound before surgery.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Again, thanks for all the kind thoughts.  They have been a huge help.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

Fingers crossed, best of wishes to you GG.

MikeB7

I've had four MRIs over the years for MS - LOUD suckers, aren't they?  I always have a hard time keeping still in those.  With the sci-fi feel of it all, my imagination always gets going and I end up giggling.  Haven't had to restart one, but the technicians always have to remind me to keep still.  It's good to hear they're keeping on top of it with the callback.  Stinks to have *another* visit, but it's also a positive that they're not leaving things at 'probably nothing'.

laughing paradox

Glitch Girl

Surgery's off.

Turns out there is another lump on the other side which will need to be biopsied, but after the last one, it looks like I'm going to need a tranquilizer since the last one has left me very tense and this time they have to go in in a very sensitive area.  Surgery looks like it may possibly be the week of Halloween but  not certain yet.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

DireWolf

Wow, just catching up GG. You can add my best thoughts as well. In the Clasic words of Commander Targert.... "Never give up, never Surender..."

:direwolf

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

Well, here's hoping the next examination will provide good results, at least in context, but it's certainly better for them to figure this out now rather than after surgery.  You're still in our prayers!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

Second Biopsy was yesterday.  It went MUCH better thanks to a lot of factors. 

One of those factors was some little white pills the doctor prescribed to me.  See, after the last biopsy, I was...tense.  Very VERY tense.   My surgeon recommended I take something to relax and gave me two tiny white pills and instructions to take one 45 minutes beforehand and the second if the first wasn't working, and basically make sure someone else was driving.

In truth, I had no idea what exactly these pills would do to me - the definition of "calm" can cover a lot of territory.  Nevertheless, I make the arrangements.

The time arrives, I take my pill, get picked up at home by family, and head to the clinic.  1:00 hits (my appointment time) and I'm not feeling that different.  So I take the second pill and wait to be called in.

The doctor running the biopsy this time is a different person and she's much more personable and appears to be more experienced than the previous (the prior one was done by someone under the supervision of the doctor who was giving instructions.  At the time, I felt like her intern homework, even though she wasn't an intern, but you get the idea).  She used a lot more numbing agent this time, but they also took more samples, none of which I felt this time (whew!) though there was a bit more bleeding.  Through it all, I was alert and calm, though not overly mellow, which I kinda expected after the doctor told me if I'd taken four of those aforementioned pills, they'd have to carry me out. 

Eventually I get dressed again, and we head out of the hospital (it's about a quarter to 4), and THAT'S when I start feeling the pills.

By the time I get home, I'm starting to nod off.  I have enough presence of mind to make myself a quick frozen dinner for lunch/dinner, eat it, and lie down for a bit... which turns out to be two hours. 

Results are due around thursday.  Until them, we're back to the waiting game.

Again, thanks for all the kind thoughts and messages.  I know I haven't answered all of them personally, and a few got lost in my blackhole of an email box as of late, but I greatly appreciate them all. 
-Glitch Girl

MikeB7

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

Thanks everyone.

More news.  The spots are malignant, there's talk of mastectomy but no one will tell me anything until Monday when I talk to the doctor.  It took major berating over the phone just to get confirmation that the surgery would not be Wednesday as originally discussed.]

I hate being left hanging like this.  Again.  Why tell me something like this and then make me wait DAYS for a resolution?  What THE HELL?!?!!

I am so tired of this.  Of  the waiting, of the bad news, of this damned year.

-Glitch Girl

BentonGrey

That's terrible!  I understand they're terrified of lawsuits, but if they'd just take five minutes to TALK to people, they could spare their patients so much grief, and avoid so much resentment and ugliness at the same time.  I'm so sorry GG.  We're still praying.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

Meh... As someone in the medical field, I can tell you that it's not even about lawsuits, it's about breaking the law. As a lab employee, I am not allowed to discuss their results with them at all. It doesn't matter if it is over the phone, in person, whatever. Doing so is a breach of federally mandated doctor-patient confidentiality laws such as HIPAA and ACTA. That information MUST be relayed either through the patient's doctor or their nurse.

Yes, I totally agree that it's asinine. It would take me all of two seconds to look a result up, and it saves me from upsetting patients who just want to know what's going on.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Tomato on October 27, 2012, 06:23:02 PM
Meh... As someone in the medical field, I can tell you that it's not even about lawsuits, it's about breaking the law. As a lab employee, I am not allowed to discuss their results with them at all. It doesn't matter if it is over the phone, in person, whatever. Doing so is a breach of federally mandated doctor-patient confidentiality laws such as HIPAA and ACTA. That information MUST be relayed either through the patient's doctor or their nurse.

Yes, I totally agree that it's asinine. It would take me all of two seconds to look a result up, and it saves me from upsetting patients who just want to know what's going on.

I was actually talking about the doctors themselves, 'Mato, but thanks, that's illuminating. 
God Bless

Reepicheep

Hang on in there, Glitch. I can't even begin to imagine the stress of all this, but we're all here to support in whatever way we can.

Glitch Girl

Thanks once again everyone.

Short version is all I can manage right now.  Yesterday had talk with doctor.  They sent in a chaplain first and I let them know exactly how I felt them sending in a chaplain before telling me what the current situation was. 

The spoke with doctor. Right side is not viable for a lumpectomy, it's going to have to be a mastectomy, which is now recommended for the left. Reconstruction is recommended.  6-8 weeks recovery time.
-Glitch Girl

Tomato

I'm sorry to hear that gg. If there's anything we can do, anything, let us know.

Cyber Burn

We're all praying for you Glitch, and like Tomato said, whatever you need, let us know.

Panther_Gunn

[Rant][Salty Language]
Spoiler
Oh for the love of God!  Who's the ignorant frell that called down the karma dren-storm on GG?  It was obviously someone that couldn't find their arse with both hands, let alone call in coordinates.  We need to find this dren-bag & mete out some justice.  Ferret legging is too good for the sod.  I'm thinking something along the lines of a large hammer, an anvil, and certain bits of the reproductive system in between the two.  A LOT! 
[/Salty Language][/Rant]

This ..........*waves arms frantically*............should not be.  There is no way this should happen.  You are the nicest person on the board, hands down.  Mikey is a grumpy ogre compared to you.  And he smells, too!  There is no way that this balances out on any scale.  This has exceeded my capacity to effectively comfort.  Someone get robinka into a cloning chamber, STAT!  If you can blame all of this on someone and want them mangled, just say the word.  I know people.  People that know many farmers' rock piles that *never* get moved, and have the heavy equipment to "adjust" them.  One has access to a mortuary furnace.  I'm just sayin'.

Seriously, if you need *anything*, just ask.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

captmorgan72

Ok, first of all, sending in a chaplain before the doctors even spoke to you?  :doh: I never could understand how highly educated people can be so stupid. If it was me I probably would have been arrested for assault. Anyway, a good friend of mine had a double mastectomy a few years ago and her insurance paid for her breast reconstruction. I have to admit they looked fantastic, better than what nature gave her. She saw that as a silver lining. Anyway, as usual, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Tomato

Actually, the reason they have to do that is...

Wait, no, that is stupid as heck. You don't ever do that to  patient, ever. Even if you're telling the patient that he/she is dying (which wasn't the case here) you talk to them about the situation FIRST, then as if she would like to talk to a chaplain. They don't know her religious domination,  she could be a satanist for all they know. Even if they lucked into the right denomination, until she knows what is going on, there's nothing for her to discuss with a chaplain.

BlueBard

GG, I am so sorry to hear about this and I know it seems like it's just getting worse and worse for you.

Sounds like your Doctor's "bedside manner" leaves something to be desired.  You'd think a chaplain would know better, though, wouldn't you?

They're both men, amiright?

(I freely admit my gender can be emotionally clueless sometimes...)

Please let us know, in general, what your needs are.  I'd like to be able to pray for those specifically.

Will insurance cover most of this?  How bad will deductables and co-pays be for you?  Do you have disability insurance that will get you through?  Will you be able to take care of yourself during your recovery or will you have/need help?  Will you be able to work from home during the last part of your recovery?  Is your employer supportive of you?

Is there anything we can do to help keep your spirits up and help you get through this?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Glitch Girl

Actually they were both women, but that doesn't make it much better.

My office does not offer limited disability - I do have a guarantee that I'll still have a job, but while I'm out, money is not good.  There are some relief services I can apply for, but there won't be much that way either.  So far, details of recovery haven't been discussed much. 

Sidenote: the car wouldn't start this morning and my home is internetless until Saturday noon (and has been since thurs).  I am starting to look forward to Mayan doomsday. [sigh]

Minor update: Car battery replaced so car is back and internet is finally fixed.
-Glitch Girl

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 02, 2012, 02:01:32 PM
Sidenote: the car wouldn't start this morning and my home is internetless until Saturday noon (and has been since thurs).  I am starting to look forward to Mayan doomsday. [sigh]

Minor update: Car battery replaced so car is back and internet is finally fixed.

Had car trouble myself this morning... I can relate. :)

As to the rest, please, please keep us posted.  I think I can safely speak for the rest of the Community and say that we care a lot about what happens to you and if there's anything we can do to help, or to cheer you up, or even just let you vent about what's going on, please let us know.

PS. Mayan doomsday is overrated.  Not even in the top five apocalyptic events.

1. The Great Tribulation
2. Nuclear Armageddon
3. Global Warming
4. Skynet/Robocalypse
5. Ragnarok

See?  The Mayan Doomsday is not even on the radar.  Even Ragnarok is about to get edged out by a Zombie Apocalypse.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

stumpy

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 02, 2012, 02:01:32 PMActually they were both women, but that doesn't make it much better.
I guess not. The downside to gender equality.  :wacko:

Thanks for keeping us updated. Know that you remain in our positive thoughts and best wishes.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg