News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sherlock

Started by Uncle Yuan, October 03, 2011, 02:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

I just took a chance on a new series - "Sherlock."  I was quite impressed!  It's a resetting of Sherlock Holmes into modern London, featuring Martin Freeman as Dr. John Watson, an Army doctor suffering from PTSD after a traumatic tour in Afghanistan (a beautiful synchronicity in history if ever there was one).  I knew I was in good hands all of three seconds into the show when the credits informed me that it was written and produced by Steven Moffat!

Frustratingly, like most BBC shows there are only a few episodes per "season."  I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Glitch Girl

I caught it when they aired it on PBS, not knowing about the ending cliffhanger.  I was all ready for the next episode... only there was none [NOOOOOOOO!!!]

I agree, they managed to make the reset really really work and the two leads are amazing. 

Want more.  Want more now.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

Fear not, there are three more in the works, based on some of the most popular Holmes stories of all time.  In this case, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Final Problem will become A Scandal in Belgravia, The Hounds of Baskerville and The Reichenbach Fall, all coming to you next year.

And I agree, very good interpretation.  Lots of references to classic stories, clever modern reimmaginings of classic scenes, and actors that feel right for the original characters.  I liked the big movie version okay, but after seeing these, I realized that wasn't the real Holmes, this was, forget the time period.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 03, 2011, 03:02:42 AM
Fear not, there are three more in the works, based on some of the most popular Holmes stories of all time.  In this case, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Final Problem will become A Scandal in Belgravia, The Hounds of Baskerville and The Reichenbach Fall, all coming to you next year.

And I agree, very good interpretation.  Lots of references to classic stories, clever modern reimmaginings of classic scenes, and actors that feel right for the original characters.  I liked the big movie version okay, but after seeing these, I realized that wasn't the real Holmes, this was, forget the time period.

It's an interesting contrast, isn't it?  While I enjoyed Downey and Law, their characters felt VERY 21st century.  I agree, this series seems very emotionally true to the originals.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

doctorchallenger

Who ever takes over for Nolan on the Batman franchise should play the Riddler like they played Moriarty in Episode 3. Excellent series.

B A D

Since Freeman is Bilbo and Cumberbatch is voicing Smaug we may have a bit of a wait
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Figure Fan

I enjoyed Sherlock much more than the Downey movie version. The TV Version is so much fun to watch.

Talavar

Quote from: B A D on October 04, 2011, 11:39:01 PM
Since Freeman is Bilbo and Cumberbatch is voicing Smaug we may have a bit of a wait

More Sherlock is coming in 2012.  It's part of the reason the next season of Doctor Who is being delayed.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, Moffat said that is not true and the two things have nothing to do with each other.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 05, 2011, 01:39:50 AM
Actually, Moffat said that is not true and the two things have nothing to do with each other.

True enough - I was doing some looking around the internets, and found that they've actually finished filming for the second series already.

B A D

Rule #1: Moffat lies.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

RTTingle

I enjoy both Sherlocks immensely.  Like Batman, I feel as if the character can handle different takes very well.  I found the movie with RDjr very entertaining and true to the spirit and formula of the source material.  Caught the BBC series a few months back on my local PBS station and anxiously awaiting the next season.  The BBC series does the same and pulls off the modern setting seamlessly.  Yes, the small seasons are incredibly frustrating, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

One of the episodes is named Reichenbach Falls?  Very interesting considering how that location ties into the Sherlock Holmes mythos.

Speaking of Holmes, I'm a HUGE fan of Edgar Allan Poe and until we see more of Sherlock Holmes on either screen... [url]The Raven[/url=http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/theraven/] will hold me over just fine.  I always adored the stories that had Poe as the hero and so happy to see one finally brought to the screen (BTW, Poe Must Die is simply - awesome... FIND IT!).  I love, love, love Poe and think the man is sold all too short as being the writer of creepy short stories and poems, folks do yourself a favor and read everything from the man.  There is a reason why Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne & H. G. Wells talk highly of the man, his "hoaxes" were incredibly science fiction.

As if the Poe movie isn't awesome enough, I can't wait to see the Nevermore haunted house at Universal Studios in Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights that is supposed to be walking into the nightmares of Poe.  In two weeks... I'm so there!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Indeed, Poe is often considered to have invented at least 2 major genres still popular today--science fiction and detective fiction.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 16, 2011, 11:35:02 PM
Indeed, Poe is often considered to have invented at least 2 major genres still popular today--science fiction and detective fiction.

Detective fiction yes; science fiction no.  He was one of the early writers to work in science fiction, but definitely not the first.  Apart from a number of debatable entries from the 16 - 1700s, Frankenstein was published when Poe was a child.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Here's where it gets a bit fuzzy.  Some people don't consider Frankenstein to be scifi and some do and there are other authors.  I myself don't have an opinion here, which is why I said he is considered to have invented, 'cause it largely depends on who you ask.

Talavar

I don't see how Frankenstein couldn't be considered science fiction - not only is it one of the earliest examples of what is clearly science creating a beyond-normal event, it also has the archetypal science fiction theme: the abilities of the scientist have outstripped his moral capacity, and science runs amok.  It's also gothic horror, but it's hardly the first story to fit into more than one genre.

There are other early science fiction-ish writers, mostly in short fiction, but those are all earlier than Poe as well.

Reepicheep

Frankenstein can be considered science fiction retrospectively. With nothing (or little) of its kind to compare it to or categorise with, it wouldn't have been able to invent the genre of science fiction. Cat is right in the regard that it could be considered Poe's work that actually gave it the banner.

Also, I personally have very mixed feelings about the Robert Downey Jr. Film. It was exciting and fun, but I just don't think it did Holmes much justice. He is amongst my favourite fictional characters. And if you haven't already some time in your life, try and watch the Jeremy Brett ones - unbeatable.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 18, 2011, 10:55:59 AM
Cat is right in the regard that it could be considered Poe's work that actually gave it the banner.

I would like to point out, again, that I never said anything of the sort, I merely paraphrased an extremely common opinion.  I have yet to state my own views on the matter, primarily because I haven't read Poe science fictiony stuff and thus can't comment much on them.

Reepicheep

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 16, 2011, 11:35:02 PM

Isn't that something of the sort? Seems something of the sort to me...

catwhowalksbyhimself

note the words "is often considered"

Reepicheep

Ok, I'll rephrase.

The popular opinion that Cat pointed out (though not necessarily his own) is right in the regard that it could be considered Poe's work that actually gave it the banner.

This is why I'm more of a dog person.

Previsionary

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 19, 2011, 10:17:40 AM
Ok, I'll rephrase.

The popular opinion that Cat pointed out (though not necessarily his own) is right in the regard that it could be considered Poe's work that actually gave it the banner.

This is why I'm more of a dog person.

I thought it was because a gang of cats attacked you on your way home from the bakery?
Disappear when you least expe--

Tomato

We all know you orchestrated that prem, don't lie.

Cardmaster

Quote from: B A D on October 05, 2011, 03:32:25 PM
Rule #1: Moffat lies.

I doff my cap to you, sir. Well played.

*finger steeple*

Well.... played.....
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Reepicheep

Quote from: Tomato on October 19, 2011, 07:38:11 PM
We all know you orchestrated that prem, don't lie.

This is why I'm more of a premonitioner person.

Tomato

Resurrecting this thread rather than making a new one.

So, Sherlock just came back for its second season... and wow, what a way to come back. 85 minutes of awesome (yes, I know it's 90 minutes long, but the first five go from recap to a rather odd scene that completely deflated the cliffhanger from season 1. So, 85  :P ) I don't want to go too deep into it because I wouldn't want to give too many spoilers, but suffice it to say that this series has, in my mind, completely supplanted the Downey Holmes stories as the best "modern" adaption of the character, and only a month after the second film.

B A D

Man I missed this. Was this PBS again? or BBC America?

Glitch Girl

BBC America.  I don't have it either so us PBS folks gotta wait until May or dig online.  :(
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

I don't know how much this helps, but apparently there will be a dvd release of season 2 late January. Might be easier to get your hands on then waiting for it to filter to pbs

RTTingle