News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

New Wonder Woman costume

Started by Podmark, June 29, 2010, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on June 30, 2010, 06:27:42 PM
No! It was a really really good idea for updating the character and it worked so well.  :rolleyes:

Which time?

So, I guess next they are going to make it so Superman was a genetic experiment by his father, and he grew up feeling alien and alone. Able to lift a car, leap a quarter of mile, and nothing short of a bursting artilery shell can pierce his skin... He'll run around in a tank top, work pants, and heavy boots.

kkhohoho

Personally, I don't really care about the new costume either way. It's the change in the timeline that irks me, for oh so many reasons. Aside from the obvious continuity issues, they're taking out what made Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman. They might as well just have made a new character, but since other iconic characters have been screwed up before, I suppose it's only natural. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

cmdrkoenig67

I think it's terrible...As bad INHO, as that horrible 90's outfit Diana had with the dated jacket, bra top and bike shorts.  Why deviate from such an iconic outfit as the WW "bathing suit"?  There have been a few really good re-designs of the iconic suit (George Perez did a good job), but all of these outfits that artists design for her with pants or jackets just look really stupid to me.

Dana

steamteck

Any chance its actually an alternate reality story?

lugaru

I really think what Wonder Woman needs is Fred Van Lente.

Did anyone read his run on Incredible Hercules?

Play up her mythology, give her some armor, slap her with an interesting sidekick (a bloodthirsty warrior, a young amazon, a smart kid, whatever...) and put her on a quest/road trip.

Btw a few of these touch on what I mean about armor:

Design #5 (which looks like my crush Jennifer Connely) and the last one are wonderful halfway points between armored and costumed.

John Jr.

The costume looks nothing like Wonder Woman. It looks like Straczynski's "Urban Vigilante Wonder Woman", so our main problem is yet another reboot. DC never learns, they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again...
From a Newsarama interview:

Nrama: Are other characters in the DCU involved in this story? Have they also forgotten her previous interaction with them in, for example, the Justice Society and Justice League? And how does this affect characters like Wonder Girl or Donna Troy?

Straczynski: It depends on the character. Someone like Superman would only know of her in the current timeline, whereas others with a more supernatural origin ? Deadman, Phantom Stranger ? might be able to perceive what was and what is at the same time, and could be very helpful. (Yes, you may assume that this is going to happen at some point.)

I'd rather let the Donna Troy folks speak for themselves, rather than my trying to characterize their approach. Just seems polite to do so

Looks like "Who is Donna Troy/Wonder Girl/Troia?" again?

The Hitman

I like DC, I really do, but sometimes...

... Sometimes I want to punch their continuity changes in the face.

Oh well, this look won't last. I don't read much with WW, so I'll just hunker down and wait for it to pass. Will be a shame if this is the version that gets made into a movie, though.

Tawodi Osdi

Ironically, it's been done to WW before.  Back in the 60's, Diana had a little spat with mommy, and she was grounded from using her powers; so, she went and changed her costume to in hippy mod style pants suits.  As far liking the new image, I tend to prefer golden and silver age designs over revamped costumes in general, but hey, I'm an older guy and I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy.

BentonGrey

*shakes head*  I'd really rather they put her in something that makes sense for someone of a ancient Greek-type origin to wear.  I've always liked AA's alternate version of her with the modified Greek armor.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on June 30, 2010, 11:56:23 PM
Ironically, it's been done to WW before.  Back in the 60's, Diana had a little spat with mommy, and she was grounded from using her powers; so, she went and changed her costume to in hippy mod style pants suits.  As far liking the new image, I tend to prefer golden and silver age designs over revamped costumes in general, but hey, I'm an older guy and I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy.

Yeah, I remember that: Diana Rigg as Diana Prince.

Not that there is anything wrong with Diana Rigg, mind you...

And Benton: I aggree with you.

Steamteck: Hypertime... YEAH!

Lugaru: some of those don't look too bad.

JeyNyce

If they wanted to change her costume, they should have went with the one Cathy Lee wore
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

yell0w_lantern

I was simply trying to make a point that the previous makeovers haven't really worked no matter what the dip sticks in charge at DC think at the time.
Yellow Lantern smash!

AncientSpirit

Let me get his straight:  They're getting rid of Wonder Woman's iconic but "sexist" outfit ... and replacing it with a non-sexist outfit that can be "accessorized".      Really????  :banghead:

Hey, here's another great idea.   Let's also change her iconic name:  From Wonder Woman to ... Perfect Lady.  :doh:

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

BlueBard

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 01, 2010, 02:45:15 PM
If they wanted to change her costume, they should have went with the one Cathy Lee wore

Bad.  Bad Jey.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BlueBard

Quote from: AncientSpirit on July 01, 2010, 04:26:07 PM
Let me get his straight:  They're getting rid of Wonder Woman's iconic but "sexist" outfit ... and replacing it with a non-sexist outfit that can be "accessorized".      Really????  :banghead:

Hey, here's another great idea.   Let's also change her iconic name:  From Wonder Woman to ... Perfect Lady.  :doh:

Y'know as long as they're modernizing and accessorizing, they ought to replace those bracers with full body armor and give her a pair of semiautomatic pistols to replace that old lasso.  Get rid of the tiara and put her in some mirrored wraparound shades.

Oh, and get rid of the Greek Gods.  They're so old-school.  Replace them with Ascended Masters or something.  Instead of drinking ambrosia on Mt. Olympus, they ought to be knocking down Iced Capps at Starbucks.

I'm just sayin'.  If they're going to change the character that much, why not go all the way, hey?

daglob

HUSH! Don't give them any ideas!

But that's pretty much what I complained about. Instead of writing Wonder Woman, why didn't they just let Straczinski write a whole new character? Andromede-The Lost Amazon, lost as a child when her parents sailed into a hurricane, she was rescued by a ship on its way to NYC, where she grew to adulthood in the slums of the city.

Of course, if they did that, they might have to pay JMS royalties on the character.

As for the accessories, think about Barbie.

BlueBard

Quote from: daglob on July 01, 2010, 07:29:09 PM

You want her to drive a pink convertible?

That would certainly be a change from the invisible jet.

JeyNyce

Quote from: BlueBard on July 01, 2010, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on July 01, 2010, 02:45:15 PM

Bad.  Bad Jey.

My point exactly!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: BlueBard on July 01, 2010, 07:59:27 PM
Quote from: daglob on July 01, 2010, 07:29:09 PM

You want her to drive a pink convertible?

That would certainly be a change from the invisible jet.

Invisible boat-mobile?

Dana

steamteck

Here's a quote from Cassandra over at the HERO games boards that really spoke to me.

"I'm beginning to thinks that DC means Desperate Comics.

DC has some of the most popular and longest lasting comic book characters in history. It also has a major problem in knowing what to do with them. It seems every few years the company revamps its entire universe, killing off major characters, changing timelines, rewritting origins, and generally betraying all those who briefly enjoyed the continuity that had existed.

Now they put pants on Wonder Woman. Why don't they make her blonde?

Well I doubt that the new costume will last (remember the short haired version of Wonder Woman?), it's sad that instead of having a universe that allows interesting stories and characters to grown and experience new adventures they have to destroy all that is near and dear to the fans."

thanoson

Ok, so I'm gonna say I'm the minority here, but I don't mind the new look. Finally, she can go into a store and not have everybody gawk at her. I mean, they're going to anyways, because she's over 6' tall. But not because Wonder Woman just walked in. Plus, now she can actually pay for something she buys due to a little invention called pockets. Seriously, the patriotic one piece is a little dated and very impractable. Not a lot of fabric there to protect her Wonder Girls from busting out. It is a little generic, but I've seen lots worse than this. (Lefield, I'm looking at you.)
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

daglob

But we are talking about what amounts to an icon here. Characters' costumes change all the time (check out Action #1 and the most recent issue of Superman, or Detective #27 and the most recent issue of Batman), but most characters' first costume and their current costumes are recognizably the same. This costume is part of a complete overhaul, and an attempt at saying "the last 70 years didn't happen". Yeah, yeah, I know; there are stories that NEED not to have happened ("I'm no slop... I'm a Glop..."), but there are always people who will dissagree.

Sometimes a one-piece swimsuit thing IS appropriate for the character (Right, Namor?).

steamteck

Quote from: daglob on July 02, 2010, 06:26:38 PM
This costume is part of a complete overhaul, and an attempt at saying "the last 70 years didn't happen".

And that is my biggest problem as my quote above says

yell0w_lantern

That's how I feel about that Battlestar Galactica remake and the new Clash of the Titans.
Just call it something else instead of betting that I'm too stupid to reralize that you're relying on some name recognition. Sure, the new thing might even be good but show me that you have the confidence that it can stand on its own merit.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Courtnall6

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on July 02, 2010, 06:58:16 PM
That's how I feel about that Battlestar Galactica remake and the new Clash of the Titans.
Just call it something else instead of betting that I'm too stupid to reralize that you're relying on some name recognition. Sure, the new thing might even be good but show me that you have the confidence that it can stand on its own merit.

I changed the channel and never went back once I saw they switched Starbuck into a woman. If they wanted more central female characters...then create them. What a concept.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

bat1987

Well for what is worth, the change gave her the much needed media coverage.

Shaboba

I dunno, I'm kind of a purist when it comes to stuff like this. I get very comfortable with characters and rosters that don't really do any major shifting for a long time (I know, change makes things more interesting), so I'm finding this new look of hers a bit hard to get used to. I'm STILL ticked about Eddie Brock not being Venom anymore. >=|

Talavar

Remakes have their place.  It's not a matter of stupidity re: name recognition - if a concept is interesting and creative types wants to revisit it, why not?  Particularly when the concept wasn't done very well the first time around, as in the case of Battlestar Galactica.  Just calling it something else doesn't work if you really want to work with the same ideas and concepts, because then you get sued for copyright infringement.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Talavar on July 03, 2010, 03:42:23 AM

Remakes have their place.  It's not a matter of stupidity re: name recognition - if a concept is interesting and creative types wants to revisit it, why not?  Particularly when the concept wasn't done very well the first time around, as in the case of Battlestar Galactica.  Just calling it something else doesn't work if you really want to work with the same ideas and concepts, because then you get sued for copyright infringement.
Emphasis added.

I take issue with that.  BSG may was great for what it was intended to be, science fiction adventure.  It is a product of its time, but it is still great.  I'd say it's a good deal better, in its way, than Soap Opera Galactica.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Quote from: Talavar on July 03, 2010, 03:42:23 AM

Battlestar Galactica did pretty good for its time; it did fantastically well for a SF show on network TV (when there were only three networks). I preferred the first season before it became a war between the shadows and the light, but even the later episodes had some merit. Hey, even the last season, where they got rid of everybody and had a new cast, wasn't THAT bad (although it wasn't that good, either).

I'd rather watch Galactica TOS, Buck Rogers, Star Trek TOS, The Invisible Man (with David Macullam), Probe, The Champions, or The Avengers than most of the slop on SyFy these days.

And I really hate the Terminator Cylons.