Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

New Wonder Woman costume

Started by Podmark, June 29, 2010, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Wonder Woman is apparently getting a new costume this week:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-wonder-woman-costume-100629.html

It's ok I guess, but it doesn't seem iconic enough to me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

It's not hateful, but I don't really care for it.  The jacket looks weird.  Of note in the rest of the article, with issue #600, Wonder Woman gets her 600th new direction.  Is there another character as well known that flounders as much as Wonder Woman to find their own niche and purpose?  It's a shame.

Zippo

I like it. It downplays the frankly ridiculous American flag aspect of the costume, and keeps the whole thing sexy, but in a more practical and less downright skanky manner. Much more in line for what the (arguably) premier female superhero should be. 

GhostMachine

I was already planning on dumping Wonder Woman from my subscriptions at the local comic book shop (I'm also dumping Justice Society of America once the Fourth Reich arc is done) after issue #600 due to JMS coming on board as writer. But if I wasn't, I would be now.

I don't mind the costume change, but I'm tired of heroes switching to costumes that have a lot of black. One of the problems I have with the Bucky America costume. I also don't like the fact that Diana's new outfit looks more like street clothes with accessories than a superhero costume.

(I'm just glad Diana's new outfit doesn't have star spangled pants. That would actually be worse than black pants!)

The part about the bracelets change made me roll my eyes AND nod my head. So if she hits someone with them, it leaves a `W' mark. Meaning now they have her ripping off the Phantom.....

murs47

Interesting. I think it's far better than what she's been sporting. Can't say I love it though.

Now they just need update Superman.

Glitch Girl

For me, parts work, parts don't.

I like the bodice, but don't like the jacket.  I kinda like the bracers, don't like how the boots merge into the legs or the strappy bits on the feet.  Like the navy blue leggings in concept, not crazy about the "plating" look to them.  Belt works, can't see enough of the tiara to say either way.  Choker, probably not.  The character in this drawing also feels way too young but since Lee isn't the regular artist, this is minor.   

Thing is, I don't hate it.  It's not a bad costume overall, I'm just not sure it says "Wonder Woman" to me and a lot of what I don't think works comes down to that - does it fit the character or not. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Courtnall6

Meh...whatever. It won't last. She'll be back in her classic outfit sooner or later.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Talavar

Quote from: murs47 on June 30, 2010, 12:56:03 AM
...Now they just need update Superman.

Don't hold your breath.

steamteck

Well I do hate. Her iconic costume doesn't make much sense for the modern version of the character but this doesn't work for me at all. give me something more mythic. Not that bad for Wonder girl except I loathe the jacket.

daglob

DrMike2000

I dunno.

I like Wonder Woman's classic costume, whilst admitting that it makes absolutely no sense for her to wear something so heavily based on the US flag.

The new costume isn't bad, and I like the verstility/accesorisation nature of it, how it can work with or without the jacket. If she is being shifted to having grown up in an urban environment then she needs a new costume, since the whole "Amazons do not fear their bodies" walking around in a swimsuit doesn't fit any more.
The pockets comment in the article is a bit low grade stand up comedy.

I'm definitely not interested in JMS's total overhaul of the character though - there is no reason other than commercial for him to actually call this character Wonder Woman. I've got fairly limited exposure to him as a writer, none of it particulalry great.

So yeah. Looks OK. I might get the first issue. I don't really have any better solution as to what to do with Wonder Woman really.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Kenn

Actually, the America themed costume made perfect sense.  It screamed "I'm siding with America."  She was a foreign immigrant and shouting allegiance to her new country.

Of course, that was 70 years ago, and when America wasn't so much a country divided, and the writers weren't embarrassed to have her be pro-American.

This new costume screams "Jim Lee's sense of heroine style stalled in 1993" and "Look at what I found I-Love-the-90s boutique."   It looks like a generic costume from 15 years ago.

Another book for the drop pile.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

lugaru

Not bad but a little generic, kinda 90's... I dunno.

Edit: or like my gay co-worker said "why is she all covered up? Is she pantsuit woman now?"

Personally I always thought the more they made her into a helenistic warrior (armor, dress, spear, etc) the cooler she was. Oh well...

lugaru

Quote from: Kenn on June 30, 2010, 06:21:39 AM

This new costume screams "Jim Lee's sense of heroine style stalled in 1993" and "Look at what I found I-Love-the-90s boutique."   It looks like a generic costume from 15 years ago.

Funny to hear you say that, I always thought he had the worst taste too. In the early 90's every X-Woman constantly wore these tacky "Married With Children" spandex miniskirts whenever not fighting magneto. Usually in day glow colors too.

Reepicheep

It doesn't really say "Patriotic Barbarian Amazon Woman" like the last one did.

It kinda says "Good-natured Teenage Idol. Don't do drugs."

As a design, I quite like it... but not on Wonder Woman.

JeyNyce

Lose the jacket & the pants, keep the rest.  Why not just let fight her armor?  I always love her armor/ warrior costume.

Edit: on second thought....just lose the jacket, I like the rest.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 30, 2010, 01:59:42 AM
Meh...whatever. It won't last. She'll be back in her classic outfit sooner or later.
Agreed. It's nice and all..but it feels like a throw away look. And they've kinda tried this look before...give her more of a street clothes..short hair look. There are "elements" that I do like (the belt...her hair) but overall Jim Lee hasn't done enough with this look to make a real "appropriate" change and does look dated in a sense as Kenn mentioned. I think the best thing they could have done is (yes...get her out of the bathing suit..something I have a "HUGE" problem with in modern comicbooks that there is still this need for that look) Kinda go a little retro...the skirt has always worked IMO...and her going a little more Greek warrior...sandals...a few armor pieces...might sell her a lot more. ;) I'm not gonna boycott the book because they gave her a new look...I'll do with this what I do with most titles these days...wait and see. ^_^
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

deano_ue

issue 600 did the same for batman, it's not gonna go past the issue

GhostMachine

I took another look at it, and I kind of hate it.

The only the only thing I actually like? The belt.

The new headpiece is ugly. And have they forgotten that her tiara is also a throwing weapon? Sure, she doesn't use it as such that often, but it is.

The choker makes me wonder if the new outfit was given to her by Black Canary, and the stars on the shoulder remind me a bit of my state's flag (Tennessee).

daglob

Looks like another example of "street clothes as costumes". Or an example of "They've stuck me with this character, so I'm going to write it the way I want to, and to heck with concepts and designs that have been around for years", or "I don't want to write [super hero or heroine], I want to write my own character, so I'll change [super hero or heroine] to be like my own character",or "the comics have dropped in sales; it's obviously the tired old concept and design that is the problem (not the cost or the art or the writing), so let's make it new and edgy for the 'aughts."

I try not to look at such stuff as "they're raping my childhood", but they are.

BlueBard

The real problem with the outfit is that it doesn't shout "Amazon Princess" or "Greek Goddess" in the way that WW has been most successfully portrayed.  It makes sense given the new direction for the character, but I agree that it probably won't last.

All they really needed to do was lose some of the things that didn't work.  I'm not sure a total retcon and 're-imagining' of the character was necessary.  An urbanized, 'gritty' Wonder Woman on the run and basically hiding from her enemies?  And how does this impact the JL and the rest of the DC universe?

I think they're losing the essence of why WW has lasted in the DC universe as long as she has.  She's supposed to be an icon of powerful femininity.  All of the strengths of feminine character in one package and none of what masculine figures might perceive as weakness.  Men would like to dominate her, but they can't.  Underestimate her on account of her gender and you're asking for trouble.  She's not uncomfortable with her sexuality, but she doesn't let it define her either.  Her virtue speaks for itself, and as a result she is respected and adored.

And then they give her a jacket so she can 'cover up' and hide.  That's not Wonder Woman.  It's true she doesn't need to flaunt her sexuality and they could have changed her costume somewhat to reflect that, but she doesn't need to hide her femininity, either.  I'd rather see her in warrior's armor than in that outfit.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

marhawkman

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 30, 2010, 01:04:48 PMThe choker makes me wonder if the new outfit was given to her by Black Canary
Maybe it was. :p  They're both in JLA....
Quote from: Reepicheep on June 30, 2010, 11:47:06 AM
It doesn't really say "Patriotic Barbarian Amazon Woman" like the last one did.

It kinda says "Good-natured Teenage Idol. Don't do drugs."

As a design, I quite like it... but not on Wonder Woman.
Yeah, that's my thoughts too.  if I saw the outfit but didn't know ahead of time that it was Wonder Woman, I wouldn't recognize it as her.

Oh and since people asked....  Wonder Woman was apparently created to fill the "token female superhero" role....  However since that was 70-ish years ago.  That aspect has been lost, and to fill in the gap they keep coming up with silly ideas.

BlueBard

Quote from: marhawkman on June 30, 2010, 02:57:44 PM
Oh and since people asked....  Wonder Woman was apparently created to fill the "token female superhero" role....  However since that was 70-ish years ago.  That aspect has been lost, and to fill in the gap they keep coming up with silly ideas.

The 'suits' probably wanted the token female, but as I understand it that was not what WW's creator actually had in mind.  She was created to represent what passed for the feminist ideal in that day.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

herodad1

she's wearing a jacket so people will quit laughing at wondermans red members only jacket! :lol:

marhawkman

Quote from: BlueBard on June 30, 2010, 03:45:53 PM
Quote from: marhawkman on June 30, 2010, 02:57:44 PMOh and since people asked....  Wonder Woman was apparently created to fill the "token female superhero" role....  However since that was 70-ish years ago.  That aspect has been lost, and to fill in the gap they keep coming up with silly ideas.
The 'suits' probably wanted the token female, but as I understand it that was not what WW's creator actually had in mind.  She was created to represent what passed for the feminist ideal in that day.
Quite true.  But.... as the years went on active feminism became trite and outdated.

Panther_Gunn

My first reaction was an echo of C6:  meh.

It does look more Wonder Girl than Wonder Woman.  Either that, or it's something to be worn at a low-key event, semi-civilian attire.  I'm *not* digging the bracers, though.  With the classic ones being smooth, you at least have *some* expectation of where a riccochet is going to go....add detailing like that, and it's just as likely to go where you *don't* expect it.  Also, the attachment as a "glove", in conjuction with the choker and all of the black, gives it a goth look it doesn't need.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Reepicheep

Why are we all getting bent out of shape about the bracers? Has nobody looked at the boots yet?

yell0w_lantern

What she really needs is to lose her powers, study kung fu and wear a white body suit.
Yellow Lantern smash!

marhawkman

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on June 30, 2010, 04:38:31 PMWhat she really needs is to lose her powers, study kung fu and wear a white body suit.
Again?  It was boring the first 2 times.

yell0w_lantern

No! It was a really really good idea for updating the character and it worked so well.  :rolleyes:
Yellow Lantern smash!