Young Justice and Green Lantern Series info

Started by Midnite, February 02, 2010, 11:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marhawkman

indeed. :) YJ looks great.  hehe, love the Hall of Justice. :)

Maybe I missed something why is there a group of ice themed villains?  It's cool, seeing Mr. Freeze, (who?), Killer Frost, and Captain Cold, but why?

lugaru

JeyNyce

I really had doubts about this show....glad I was wrong.  This looks awesome.  Now just to make sure I'm on the right page, this is NOT another Teen Titans, right?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Previsionary

What did everyone think about the pilot episode (series begins in January)? I didn't get to catch all of it (low interest), so I'm not going to comment too heavily, but I'm iffy on the overall art style of the show. The kids themselves look OK, but some of the Justice Leaguers (Martian Manhunter) looked blah.

Some of the changes on the team were interesting. Phil Lamar voicing Aquadork... I mean, Aquaman was amusing. Benton, how do you feel about that now that you get to hear it in action? Black Manta's son, Aqualad, leading the YJ is also an unique decision to roll with. Was that explained in the episode at all? Considering they're using Dick Grayson and Wally West, I just thought they'd go with one of them being the lead and not Aqualad (voiced by Cyborg voice actor Khary Payton), who is not the most recognizable character of the group.

And to an earlier question that was asked, this cartoon takes place on Earth-16, according to producers, just because it's a mostly untapped area, and they didn't have to worry about continuity as it regards to the characters and Miss Martian.
Disappear when you least expe--

Glitch Girl

My thoughts:

Overall, not a bad start but had problems...

Character designs don't bother me that much, however characterization... well, I liked Aqualad as the voice-of-reason of the group, but Robin felt "off" to me.  Kid Flash was pretty good, though I wish he'd used his speed powers more.  And Superboy has got authority issues which I hope they don't dwell on for very long.  Artemis wasn't in the episode and Miss Martian only had a few lines at the end where she gets to say "hi" and flirt a bit.

Come to think of it, I think she's the only female voice we hear in the entire episode.  Did the doctor have a line?  I can't recall one.  Heck, they even used Zatarra instead of Zatanna, unless they're setting her up to be the sidekick's age for a later episode.

I didn't read the Superboy title from the 90's but I recognized some of the characters from it.  I don't know of this "council of light" thing is from that or made for this show.  I have a feeling we'll be revisiting this sometime soon.  Blockbuster gets an origin (this isn't much of a spoiler, since if you're looking carefully in one of the early scenes, you see this coming a mile away) and the reason Speedy isn't included in the roster is made clear early on.

Which leads me to the biggest problem I had with the episode - how we get to the resolution.  The final confrontation between the League and our scrappy crew comes off as just wrong.  It feels like our team threatens the League into getting their headquarters and win.  It didn't fit with any version of the Justice League I've ever seen or read, including Elseworld type stuff, and totally didn't work for me.

Pilot episodes are supposed to be a little rough, so I'm willing to give this series a chance.  There's a lot of potential here, and if Peter David is going to be writing a few episodes, I am looking forward to that.  Hopefully by then they'll have a better handle on the characters.

Oh and bad news for anyone who likes Aqualad as leader (myself included)...

From an interview with the voice of Robin on Comic Book Resources
QuoteRobin also learns pretty early on that no else is going to be able to lead this team. And everyone does get a shot. Aqualad has a huge episode where he tries to take on this team and essentially can't do it, and there's a nice scene between him and Robin where you see Robin realize for the first time: "I'm not that kid anymore. I can't just be this cocky, brash little kid that can't step up." And then there's this scene between Aqualad, Robin and Batman where Robin has to take the reins and that happens pretty early on in this season. Eventually he shows that he is a natural born leader. And that's just part of what you'll see from Dick Grayson.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

detourne_me

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 23, 2010, 05:24:10 AM
I really had doubts about this show....glad I was wrong.  This looks awesome.  Now just to make sure I'm on the right page, this is NOT another Teen Titans, right?
Unfortunately you're right,  this ISN'T like Teen Titans at all,  which was an energetic, funny cartoon that was well written with a distinct and original art style.
This has teen angst, odd voice acting, and although the same art style as the recent Spider-man cartoon, it just kind of fall flat on being original.
It reminded me a lot of the Avenger's Next video that was also kinda boring.
I think I'll just stick to Batman Brave and the Bold for my DC cartoon of choice right now.

herodad1

ok, i liked the pilot but my thing is with ALL the characters to choose from why ALWAYS have to throw superman in it. even if its a "clone"? what about capt. marvel jr? everythings going to be centering on him. also...i dont DC much so whats up with aqua-boy's water/electricity thing? i'd liked him better if he was more like aquaman himself. thats always been my thing with DC. everyone has a mini-me. other than CAP and BUCKY, you'll never see many MARVEL characters running around with them.  :wacko:

AfghanAnt

Let it be known I disliked the anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon. It was fun but I always felt like I was the wrong demographic for it.

That being said I thought YJ was a great pilot but I went into the cartoon not thinking what characters should and shouldn't act like - I just took it for what it was. Aqualad was probably the most pleasant surprise here. He was instantly likable for me though I question why he has those rod things. Seeing Dubbilex and Guardian were added bonuses. The only problem I had with the entire hour was Superman's reaction towards Superboy it left me cold but I do realize this is Earth-16 Supes and from what I read even he's a younger version of himself. Thumbs up to the producers for giving Superboy Golden-age Superman power level. Even though Robin and Kid Flash are suppose to be the originals they felt like equal parts of all versions of those characters which was fine for me. I'm not a purest and not going to scream about how characterization is off because this is a cartoon and they are building a new universe. Jan can't get here fast enough.

deano_ue

so which version of the characters are used here, dick or tim, bart or wally etc

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on November 27, 2010, 11:24:15 PM
so which version of the characters are used here, dick or tim, bart or wally etc

It's Dick and Wally.

I liked it a lot. The art design and character choices were very cool, and I was impressed with the new Aqualad. I would have preferred a proper Young Justice cast with Tim, Bart and Cassie instead of who was chosen though as those characters are among my favorites at DC, but I do get Superboy in the cast which makes me very happy. The kids are pretty angsty in the first one but that will hopefully even out a bit over the series, and the characterizations were a little different but I'll get used to them. Was really looking forward to this show and it didn't disappoint.

Also it was pretty funny that Crispin Freeman played two prominent characters in the premiere.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on November 28, 2010, 12:00:36 AM

It's Dick and Wally.

I liked it a lot. The art design and character choices were very cool, and I was impressed with the new Aqualad. I would have preferred a proper Young Justice cast with Tim, Bart and Cassie instead of who was chosen though as those characters are among my favorites at DC, but I do get Superboy in the cast which makes me very happy. The kids are pretty angsty in the first one but that will hopefully even out a bit over the series, and the characterizations were a little different but I'll get used to them. Was really looking forward to this show and it didn't disappoint.

Also it was pretty funny that Crispin Freeman played two prominent characters in the premiere.

They actually wanted to include Wondergirl but at the time the rights to her weren't available. They have since become available and the producers have mentioned that the cast would rotate and not everyone would make it to the second season (I'm hoping Artemis bites it).

Talavar

Quite a strong first episode - better than Justice League's first episode, that's for sure.  Given how well that show turned out, I have high hopes for Young Justice. 

deano_ue

Quote from: Podmark on November 28, 2010, 12:00:36 AM

It's Dick and Wally.

ok then *nerd rant* why is miss martian there other than we need another chick, why is barry wearing wallys outfit and why not just use tempest

seriously i know it's petty but stuff like this bugs the hell out of me

murs47

I thought this was a quality start. Wally and Aqualad were my faves. Hopefully the series builds on Roy's departure at the beginning of the pilot.

detourne_me

Well, I guess it's based on Earth-16 (whatever that means) so that's why Barry is wearing wally's costume and dick is wearing tim's.
But yeah. The characterization of Speedy is a bit off. Why is he such a jerk?  Oh wait maybe he's going to go shoot up. Yeah, thats the ticket.

Robin with the computer gloves put me off a bit too.
Anyways, in all my kvetching I do have to say that Aqualad was an interesting character. His relationship with Aquaman is unique and he was smart enough to know how to get to Superboy.

Podmark

Quote from: detourne_me on November 29, 2010, 01:53:20 AMRobin with the computer gloves put me off a bit too.

I kinda liked the computer gloves. They reminded me of Ink's Batman mesh.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

Quote from: detourne_me on November 29, 2010, 01:53:20 AM
Well, I guess it's based on Earth-16 (whatever that means) so that's why Barry is wearing wally's costume and dick is wearing tim's.
But yeah. The characterization of Speedy is a bit off. Why is he such a jerk?  Oh wait maybe he's going to go shoot up. Yeah, thats the ticket.
They gotta get rid of him somehow to make room for Artemis I guess.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Talavar

Follow-ups to a few points made by others:

1.  The computer gloves are awesome.

2.  Miss Martian may just be on the team because they need another woman, but they do need women.  Like Glitch Girl mentioned, the only female dialogue in the whole two-part pilot is spoken by her in the last 30 seconds.  That's not cool.

3.  This is the first version of Aqualad that doesn't make me want to punch him in the mouth.

bearded

http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/07/28/sdcc-teen-titans-year-one-cover-art-yay/
i like this version of aqualad.
Spoiler
it is fairly obvious who the light is, but i remember the first appearance of 'the light' was in the early 40's in a superman comic. when superman took off his head gear, it turned out to be ... lex luthor!

oldmanwinters

I'm curious to see what role Speedy will have in this series, since he looked like he was going to play a significant role in the pilot but quickly stormed out the door never to be seen again.  And it looks like the YJ league will have their own archer anyway.

lugaru

Good show so far, but as said, it should be better once they get a full cast.

Silver Shocker

While I wasn't especially keen on the characterization (I found their version of Speedy too antagonistic) and I didn't find the plot as interesting as it could have been, I think it was a pretty decent start to the show. I think the animation style's pretty good (I personally like it more than Spectacular Spider-Man's), though like in Crisis on Two Worlds I found myself bothered that Martian Manhunter is wearing his One Year Later costume. I don't like that costume to begin with, but I find it especially doesn't look right when put in a cartoon. I'm very optimistic about this show, everything I hear about it in interviews and the fact that Greg Weisman is involved makes me think I'm going to love this show once it really gets going. I found the voices were a mixed bag for me. There were some guys I really liked, and some I felt took some getting used to. I loved hearing Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Deep Space Nine) in it though.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

thalaw2

What's up with Aqualad?  since when did he get those powers?  Reminded me too much of Spike from the Xmen cartoon.

EDIT:  I thing Teen Titans was much much better!  But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that I only saw two episodes.
革命不会被电视转播

Talavar

Well, the third episode of Young Justice has aired, and it remains something of a mixed bag.

Speedy is still a huge jerk, and there's still too much teen angst in general, but I remain hopeful that will improve.  In the fight against Mr. Twister, the team tries things that don't work, and then try them again too many times.  There's very little creative power use until the end, when the villain gets rofl-stomped.  On a more positive note, some of the team banter works well, and the fluidity of the animation is quite lovely - I only wish the Avengers cartoon was animated as well.

Overall, the show's not great yet, but I remain optimistic of it improving.  This is still only the 3rd episode, and the show is doing better than Justice League's first 3 episodes (the lacklustre Secret Origin 3-parter).  My hope is that once the team gets a few missions under their belt, they'll stop griping about being treated like kids and not needing babysitters.

JeyNyce

Okay, I finally saw all 3 episodes and it's not a bad show.  I thought I wouldn't like Aqualad & Miss M, but they are turning out to be my favorite characters.  The rest of the team is good too.  As for speedy, why put him in the show if he's not going to join?  I know they will get a female archer, but what's the point of speedy?  He is really starting to get on my nerves. 
Also they need to follow up with Superman/ Superboy story arc.  Superman acted like a dead-beat Dad and don't want to accept they he has a "kid".
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Renegade

I'm enjoying it, which is something I cannot say I ever did with the comic (I tried several times to give it a chance over the run, but the writing never clicked for me). The laughing Robin and the interplay in the dialogue is what is clinching it for me.
Hey Kids, COMICS!

Glitch Girl

RE: Speedy...

I think they're setting him up so that Green Arrow has a major reason to dump him and hire on Artemis.  This will probably send him over the edge and might turn him into an adversarial character.  Of course, this is just speculation.
-Glitch Girl

deano_ue

anyone heard when or where it's going to start uk side. if it's like wolverine or the avengers toon it'll start with little to no fan fare and be hidden away

Talavar

The fourth episode aired this past weekend: Drop Zone.

It's definitely improving.  The angst and complaining are largely gone, the characters perform better together, Aqualad steps up as team leader, with an option for Robin to step in at a later date, and there are some nice character moments throughout.  Still no sign of Artemis however, despite her featuring prominently in the opening credits for the second week in a row.

Most surprising though - I've now actually seen Sportsmaster presented as a serious villain outside of comics.