News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Branding

Started by murs47, October 10, 2009, 11:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murs47

I've begun putting together my graphic design portfolio and I feel my combined school work doesn't fully display my capabilities. So, I decided to task myself with re-branding numerous sport franchises. So far I've decided on about five to seven teams per major sport (NBA, MLB, NFL, and NHL). Constructive criticism is very much appreciated here.

Chicago Bulls

Concept 1:
Spoiler

Concept 2:
Spoiler

I'll post more as they come.

Figure Fan

I definitely like the first one better. The second one resembles a demon more than a bull, which is obviously all wrong. Stylistically, the first one is also better. It feels more contemporary and professional, while the second one has a comic book feel to it, or like the Spawn HBO series.

Also, yeah, it seems like schools never really give you much to put in a portfolio. Not sure why it's so valuable, really.

murs47

I agree with you completely FF. I've shown the first one to a few people without telling them what it is and their first response was always Chicago Bulls.

I decided to take the 2nd concept a bit further just for fun's sake. I also started on the lettering. I wanted it to be similar to the original lettering but with hints of san-serif-ness(word? probably not) for modernization.
Spoiler

Home:
Spoiler

Away:
Spoiler

Podmark

This is a very impressive project Murs. I think I like your most recent Bulls logo design best, and I'm not a basketball fan but I think it might be nicer than the real Bulls logo. Maybe you should send it their way? :D

I'll be very interested to see what you do with some NHL teams.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on October 16, 2009, 03:05:59 AM
Maybe you should send it their way? :D

If only it were that easy :(

The NHL ones should be the biggest challenge for me because of my vague understanding of the sport. I watch the Sharks here and there but I don't have the same passion for them as I would my local baseball team. More importantly I don't know the histories and traditions of NHL teams. Oddly enough, I've got about 10 hockey franchises that I want to re-brand opposed to 4-5 franchises within the other sports. Heh.

Thanks for the comments, Pod. ^_^

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on October 16, 2009, 04:55:49 AM
Maybe you should send it their way? :D

If only it were that easy :(

The NHL ones should be the biggest challenge for me because of my vague understanding of the sport. I watch the Sharks here and there but I don't have the same passion for them as I would my local baseball team. More importantly I don't know the histories and traditions of NHL teams. Oddly enough, I've got about 10 hockey franchises that I want to re-brand opposed to 4-5 franchises within the other sports. Heh.

Thanks for the comments, Pod. ^_^

If ye need help on getting history and traditions on NHL teams, drop me a line and I'll fill ye in.  I love me NHL!!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

murs47

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 17, 2009, 04:29:10 PM
If ye need help on getting history and traditions on NHL teams, drop me a line and I'll fill ye in.  I love me NHL!!!!

Excellent, I will so so when the time comes. Thanks. ^_^

Reepicheep

This is some pretty awesome work.

Can I just note that this reply is titled Re: Branding. Is that intentional? If so, you are a genius.

Podmark

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 17, 2009, 04:29:10 PM

Yeah I can help with that too.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 18, 2009, 01:07:21 AM
Can I just note that this reply is titled Re: Branding. Is that intentional? If so, you are a genius.

I, yes.....no-no, I can't take credit for this coincidence.

Quote from: Podmark on October 18, 2009, 06:48:00 PM

I'll go ahead and list off the teams I had in mind and why I chose them. If you guys have a favorite team that I didn't list go ahead and post it and I'll give it a shot as well.

Chicago Blackhawks - Seems pretty dated and reminds me too much of the Washington Redskins.

Boston Bruins - I like the color scheme and some had some ideas with potential pop up immediately.

Vancouver Canucks - I'm just not a fan of that logo.

New Jersey Devils - Very good logo. The challenge of an improved design interests me.

Calgary Flames - I just wanted to update it, the "C" on fire is very plain.

Philadelphia Flyers - For being called the Flyers, the logo looks very stiff.

Toronto Maple Leafs - The plainest logo. I'm guessing there's a lot of history with this team and that's how it's identified. Because of that, I feel it presents the biggest challenge. *shakes in fear*

Florida Panthers - It's well made, but I think it's too much. Perhaps simplified to just the head and some minor tweaking and it's a winner.

Detroit Redwings - Is that a wheel and a wing? I understand it, but with major vehicle manufacturers "crapping" on its employees(Detroit's citizens) I don't understand why it's represented. Seems like a slap to the people's faces. The wheel has got to go.

Ottawa Senators - They have a new logo, but I think something more inline with their previous logo would work best.

Dallas Stars - I saw some possibilities with them.

Xenolith

See if you can come up with one from the Cleveland Browns.  I'm sick of that stupid orange helmet log.

The Hitman

I can help with NHL teams as well, if you need it. The Bulls logo looks good, man!

murs47

Quote from: The Hitman on October 21, 2009, 07:01:52 PM
I can help with NHL teams as well, if you need it. The Bulls logo looks good, man!

Since there's more enthusiasm for NHL stuff, I guess I'll skip the NBA for now..heh.

Quote from: Xenolith on October 20, 2009, 05:44:37 PM
See if you can come up with one from the Cleveland Browns.  I'm sick of that stupid orange helmet log.

The plainest and ugliest logo/uniform/etc. in all of sports. They were first on my list.

Podmark

Hey Murs, I'd give you some tips about those NHL teams but I got hit hard with school work this week. I'll get back to you.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Ephemeris

Cool stuff.  I was wondering which teams were you looking at from the other major sports?  Hopefully the New England Patriots' 'flying Elvis' logo will be getting looked at.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on October 18, 2009, 07:43:40 PM
Quote from: Reepicheep on October 18, 2009, 01:07:21 AM

I, yes.....no-no, I can't take credit for this coincidence.

Quote from: Podmark on October 18, 2009, 06:48:00 PM

I'll go ahead and list off the teams I had in mind and why I chose them. If you guys have a favorite team that I didn't list go ahead and post it and I'll give it a shot as well.

Chicago Blackhawks - Seems pretty dated and reminds me too much of the Washington Redskins.

Boston Bruins - I like the color scheme and some had some ideas with potential pop up immediately.

Vancouver Canucks - I'm just not a fan of that logo.

New Jersey Devils - Very good logo. The challenge of an improved design interests me.

Calgary Flames - I just wanted to update it, the "C" on fire is very plain.

Philadelphia Flyers - For being called the Flyers, the logo looks very stiff.

Toronto Maple Leafs - The plainest logo. I'm guessing there's a lot of history with this team and that's how it's identified. Because of that, I feel it presents the biggest challenge. *shakes in fear*

Florida Panthers - It's well made, but I think it's too much. Perhaps simplified to just the head and some minor tweaking and it's a winner.

Detroit Redwings - Is that a wheel and a wing? I understand it, but with major vehicle manufacturers "crapping" on its employees(Detroit's citizens) I don't understand why it's represented. Seems like a slap to the people's faces. The wheel has got to go.

Ottawa Senators - They have a new logo, but I think something more inline with their previous logo would work best.

Dallas Stars - I saw some possibilities with them.

Give me a few days and I'll pm ye with history and such.  Shouldn't take me long at all.

murs47

Quote from: Ephemeris on October 22, 2009, 03:10:03 AM
Cool stuff.  I was wondering which teams were you looking at from the other major sports?  Hopefully the New England Patriots' 'flying Elvis' logo will be getting looked at.

Heh. I'm actually ok with the Pats logo. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I've got everything I planned finished.

Quote from: Podmark on October 21, 2009, 09:54:13 PM
Hey Murs, I'd give you some tips about those NHL teams but I got hit hard with school work this week. I'll get back to you.

No worries Pod. I actually did some research on the Canucks. So if I read right, Johnny Canuck is a fictional World War 2 fighter pilot created to boost moral and national pride during that time. Is this correct? If so, I think this will be my direction for the logo.

Alrighty, a concept for the Portland Trailblazers.
Spoiler

Podmark

I like the last one best, it has more depth.

I didn't know anything about the fighter pilot guy. Canuck, as far as I know is a nick name for Canadians. They're logos over the years have been kinda random.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tortuga

Growing up, my favourite NHL logo was the Blackhawks.  There's something about the colours and the Blackhawk face that I always loved.  I also love the Senators logo.

The Toronto Maple Leafs seems somewhat untouchable.  Sure, it's simple and plain, but it's just so darn definitive and recognizable.  It'll be hard to match.

The Flames definitely need a change.  The [url+http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/8/83/20070710014510!Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.png]alternate[/url] isn't bad though.

The Canucks have always been a mish-mash.  In the 80s it was the orange/yellow/red stripes and the word Canucks as a skate.  They've changed many times.  It's best not to take the word Canuck too literally (like the Johnny Canuck reference).

Just leave the Oilers alone. :D  It's easily one of the more distinct and clever logos out there.

murs47

Quote from: Tortuga on October 26, 2009, 01:10:04 AM
The Toronto Maple Leafs seems somewhat untouchable.  Sure, it's simple and plain, but it's just so darn definitive and recognizable.  It'll be hard to match.

That's what I was assuming. So it's the equivalent of the Yankees' "NY" logo, no harm in giving it a try though.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Podmark on October 25, 2009, 06:14:03 PM

I didn't know anything about the fighter pilot guy. Canuck, as far as I know is a nick name for Canadians. They're logos over the years have been kinda random.

Canucks are actually the vancouver team, it has to do with Johnny Canuck but the logo has nothing to do with it.

Podmark

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 27, 2009, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: Podmark on October 25, 2009, 06:14:03 PM

Canucks are actually the vancouver team, it has to do with Johnny Canuck but the logo has nothing to do with it.

Yeah I know they're the Vancouver team lol. I meant that the word canuck is often used as nick name for Canadians in general. I was unaware of the Johnny Canuck part though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I found this while researching:

I "tee-hee'd"

murs47

My shot at the Maple Leafs.

Spoiler

murs47

So I got this idea of putting the stem back into my design but it into the shape of a "T" but I'm not sure which direction to take it in.

1:
Spoiler
2:
Spoiler
3:
Spoiler

Reepicheep

I gotta say, I prefer it without the stem. Hard to put my finger on why, but I think perhaps I prefer the simplicity.

Hehe, Project: Re: Brand :thumbup:

GhostMachine

With the stem, I like the detached one.

Oh, and if you need any baseball teams to do....Cincinnati Reds, please.  :thumbup:

Podmark

Definitely with the stem. I saw your first pics before I left school earlier today and made a mental note to suggest putting the stem in. It looked wrong, unbalanced without the stem.

Of the stem ones I think I like the 1st one best, but honestly I change my mind each time I look at them.
Not a bad redesign. I was curious what you'd do with the Leafs, it's one of the those untouchable logos.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I find myself preferring this one. I like the negative space "toronto" creates within the leaf but it's also less redundant. I would think a blue maple leaf would be iconic enough and the team name being implemented unnecessary because of that. What do you guys think? I could try some variations of the stem with that as well.

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 29, 2009, 11:57:38 PM
Hehe, Project: Re: Brand :thumbup:

tee-hee  ^_^

Quote from: GhostMachine on October 30, 2009, 02:37:09 AM
Oh, and if you need any baseball teams to do....Cincinnati Reds, please.  :thumbup:

Definitely. They were first on my list with the Cleveland Browns. No matter what changes the Reds make, as long as they use that "C" I will always think of the Chicago Bears. Always.

Xenolith

After watching a UFL game on the Versus network last night, I think you should rebrand their horrible designs.