News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Branding

Started by murs47, October 10, 2009, 11:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMachine

Quote from: Xenolith on October 30, 2009, 04:27:53 PM
After watching a UFL game on the Versus network last night, I think you should rebrand their horrible designs.

Absolutely! Doesn't help that most of their teams have lousy names, either.

(I really hope the Locos at least play "Crazy Train" over the speakers during their games!)

The Reds are my favorite baseball team, but their logo (the C with the word Reds inside) really needs an update bigtime. They've had that same logo for decades, which is why I suggested them.

That C that reminds murs of the Bears has been used by a LOT of sports teams; the Cleveland Indians even used it, I believe, and there's a high school football team here called the Hornets that used to use it (white C on a green helmet).

murs47

wow...those are pretty....not good. tuskers are good, but the other three have me wondering if the designers were even trying.

Yep, that "C" needs to change. I'll probably make something based on one of their first 3 logos:

Another take on the Maple Leafs:
Spoiler

This one wont be going in my portfolio because it's pretty much an exact replication of the original.

Deaths Jester

Hey Murs, check ye PMs cause I just sent ye a whole lot of info on the NHL teams ye are interested in doing.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

murs47

nice, it's helped with some ideas already. thanks.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on October 31, 2009, 04:47:00 PM
nice, it's helped with some ideas already. thanks.

No prob, amte...if ye need anything else on the NHL drop me a line and I'll get the stuff to ye as fast as possible.

murs47

Ottawa Senators:
Spoiler

Love it? Hate it? Like it? Fear it?

Podmark

I like it, but it seems to dispersed. I'd try tightening it up a bit, or adding something to it like a background to make it feel more whole.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

something like this? sorta like mortar for bricks.

Podmark

Yeah, that really does make a difference. I think it looks better now.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Better...at least it doesn't look like the Trojan condom roman...like their old one did!

murs47

Spoiler

Not the new Podmark logo. :P

Podmark

Ok this one, honestly until I checked the name I had no idea what team it was. May as well have been my new logo. Being recognizable is an important part of a logo and I don't think this fits.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Somewhere it loses the idea of hockey and the tradition of the Flyers...it reminds me more of a basketball team here.

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on November 19, 2009, 03:10:36 AM
Ok this one, honestly until I checked the name I had no idea what team it was. May as well have been my new logo. Being recognizable is an important part of a logo and I don't think this fits.

As a sports fan looking from the outside I've always considered the Flyers logo as a cheap knock-off of the Red Wings. Which isn't a good thing for bringing in new fans. I also I didn't feel it represented a fast and violent sport because it was so stiff and rounded. I guess that's why I branched further away from the original.

But hey, I guess I can just use this as an alternate logo. I've decided to cut back to 5 teams a sport but create full sets for each team. A set being a uniform design, lettering, primary and secondary logos, with the possibility of a tertiary logo.

After reading the Flyers history I'm failing to see how they have "tradition." I feel they are the equivalent of the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Both are expansion teams that have fielded some good squads and great players but with only a couple championships. In the world of sports you gotta do way more than that to have tradition and legacy.

Podmark

The Flyers have long since been known as a tough team. Sadly my hockey history is very poor beyond my starting to watch, but maybe Deaths Jester can give more information on that.

No doubt it can be tough to redesign logos, but all of the ones you've done so far I knew what team it was as soon as I saw it (and I don't follow basketball) but that Flyers one just didn't click - not that I'd have any idea what to do with it.
You're doing a good job Murs.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on November 20, 2009, 03:19:28 AM
The Flyers have long since been known as a tough team. Sadly my hockey history is very poor beyond my starting to watch, but maybe Deaths Jester can give more information on that.

The Broadstreet Bullies is what one of their nicknames were from what I read. Bunch of real tough guys. Another reason why I made the comparison to the Bucs. Both have an era of being really tough teams with smash-mouth styles yet fundamentally sound play. Both have also had eras of being at the bottom of the food chain. Anyways, my comparison wasn't intended as a slap to the Flyers.

Quote from: Podmark on November 20, 2009, 03:19:28 AM
No doubt it can be tough to redesign logos, but all of the ones you've done so far I knew what team it was as soon as I saw it (and I don't follow basketball) but that Flyers one just didn't click - not that I'd have any idea what to do with it.

Ya it is tough. It being recognizable was a priority for me but I also wanted to step away from the 'wings' look because of the Detroit Red Wings similarity. I'm thinking I can just use this one as a secondary or tertiary logo for my set; something in the same vein as the foot logo the Avalanche have. But ya, I'll try something else for their primary logo

Ephemeris

I'm enjoying your redesigns so far. 

You said you were trying to move away from the Red Wings' 'wings', why not try incorporating something mechanical like fixed wings, propellers or rotors?

Figure Fan

See, I looked at the P logo and knew it was for the Flyers instantly. I did check to make sure I was right, after the fact. I like it, actually.

murs47

Alrighty, stepping away from hockey for the moment.

Spoiler

This is the original logo: http://rmvd.bpgutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/rsl_logo.gif

I felt there was too much going on and that the colors were terrible. So I simplified and adjusted the colors.

Podmark

Don't know anything about Soccer.

I can see what you mean about the original logo having too much going on - it looks like 3 logos in one. I like yours, it's cleaner and has a nice style. The only thing I'd adjust is the negative space - the space inside the red border at the top before the blue section and the gap between real and the soccer ball. It's looks kinda blah or half finished or something. I'd either tighten up the design or maybe some decorative lines or something.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I see what you mean Pod. Does this look better?
Spoiler

I'll play with the space inside the crown.

Podmark

Yeah that's much better.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GhostMachine

Soccer is one sport I couldn't care less about, but that's one nice looking logo.

(Isn't that the team that won the championship despite having a losing record, and beat the team that severely overpaid David Beckham? Seem to recall seeing something about that on HLN or ESPN....)

murs47

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 05, 2009, 11:27:55 AM
(Isn't that the team that won the championship despite having a losing record, and beat the team that severely overpaid David Beckham? Seem to recall seeing something about that on HLN or ESPN....)

Yup, that's them.

Alrighty, I'm getting closer to finishing this set.

Primary:
Spoiler
I toyed with more decorative elements in the crown but it became too busy so I simply made the blue area bigger.

Secondary:
Spoiler
Near identical to their secondary logo.

Wordmark:
Spoiler

Home Uniform:
Spoiler
I would think their actual uniforms would be cool if it wasn't an Adidas design template that was used by every team that is sponsored by them.

Away Uniform:
Spoiler

Podmark

Very nice work Murs. The uniform templates are very well done.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

C.D. Chivas U.S.A.

Spoiler

An American offshoot of the popular Mexican franchise. Prev said their goat logo looks like a manga dragon. http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=eg4hl8flu0sx3flhk7yun65o6

Podmark

I don't follow any soccer so this is the first time I've seen this logo, but I both actually. I like yours better though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I'm starting this back up with a fictional MLS team I created, Phoenix FC.

First up is the primary/crest/badge logo:
Spoiler

Secondary logo and uniforms are next.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

I need some help coming up with a name for my fictional Miami based Major League Soccer team. Anyone willing to throw some names into the hat?

My only one so far is: AC Miami. Crazy original, I know.