News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

USAgent's 2nd rate skinning

Started by USAgent, March 31, 2009, 04:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

For Sepulchre, why don't you alpha out the see through pieces slightly?

USAgent

Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 27, 2009, 07:04:31 PM

And thats exactly what Laughing Paradox did for me. Thanks LP!

I went ahead and uploaded Caliban, Sepulchre, Inertia, and Lamphrey here (hero files included):
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/USAgentskins2/
For both FF1 and FFV3R

Diablo

Quote from: USAgent on May 02, 2009, 04:25:25 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 27, 2009, 07:04:31 PM

And thats exactly what Laughing Paradox did for me. Thanks LP!

I went ahead and uploaded Caliban, Sepulchre, Inertia, and Lamphrey here (hero files included):
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/USAgentskins2/
For both FF1 and FFV3R

thanks!!!! :thumbup:

billdamn22

laughing paradox

It was my pleasure, bud.

Hey, how did you get it working for :ffvstr:?

USAgent

Quote from: laughing paradox on May 02, 2009, 10:13:16 PM
It was my pleasure, bud.

Hey, how did you get it working for :ffvstr:?

The amazing Johnny Patches my friend!

BentonGrey

Wow Agent, you are really improving man!  You better watch out or I'm gonna' be bugging you with requests. ^_^
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Jakew

Agent, you're killing it with these new skins. Also, great character choice.

jtharris86

Quote from: Jakew on May 04, 2009, 01:07:27 AM
Agent, you're killing it with these new skins. Also, great character choice.

I have to agree  :thumbup:

fractal

just got a chance to try out your new skins following a computer crash.. great job!!!  :thumbup:

Thanks for continuing to make stuff for those of us still playing  :ff:

*Edit*
Is anyone else having trouble loading the caliban skin in  :ff:? Every time I try to do anything with the skin it causes  :ff: to crash. I wasn't sure if this was just unique to me or not. Tried re d/l it with no luck If anyone has an idea on how to fix this, other than not to use this great skin, please let me know?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

And when I find my way back,
The fact is I just may stay, or I may not
I've acquired quite a taste
For a well made mistake

"No hay banda! There is no band. It is all an illusion... "

USAgent

Thanks again guys!   
I just tried Caliban in FF1 and it didnt crash the game, maybe I screwed something up when I converted the mesh to FFV3R and didnt get the right FF1 character nif in there.  Let me send you the Caliban I just tried with my FF1 game and tell me what happened.

I'll use your email under your avatar.

fractal

That works great no crashing with the updated one!!!!  :thumbup:

Thanks
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

And when I find my way back,
The fact is I just may stay, or I may not
I've acquired quite a taste
For a well made mistake

"No hay banda! There is no band. It is all an illusion... "

USAgent

Here is a new skin I worked on for RMT, its Moonstone in her Meteorite costume when she first joined up with the Thunderbolts.
I had about 8 Meteorite reference pics for her and in every pic her costume was drasticly different than the next one (sometimes her costume changed multiple times in the same issue!)  Her Meteorite costumes went from a basic look to a crazy design but the colors stayed the same. So I tooK the more basic route with her here and this is what I came up with.

Its a Vertex mesh with Ink pieces, and head piece from RMT.

laughing paradox

I like the design conglomeration you got going for this skin. It's a good mix of what I've basically seen her in, minus the full gold metal Meteorite costume.

Now I got a few pointers for you.

The gold is supposed to be metal, so work that reflectective layer.. with a better lightmap. The one you're using doesn't really give it an 'Umph!'.

The eyes look too far apart.. maybe make them bigger?

Now I know you're picking choosing from different variations of her custome, but where's the second half of the chin section? ;)

USAgent

yeah, I definatly don't like the eyes myself, they where the last thing I skinned (at about 1:00am) last night. And I was at the point I just wanted to finish the skin before I went to bed. I seem to always rush the end of the skin just to get it done.  I need to go back and do something better with the eyes.
I gave her a small amount of reflection layer on her orange/goldish parts, the only reason I didn't give her more was because of my deep hatred for shiney reflection layers on skins, I think they really take away from a skin,(but Sepulchre turned out perfect). I wish I could create a metal look without having to use a reflection layer at all.
As for the chin section, that is exactly how her mask looks like in her Meteorite appearences, it only covers half her jaw line and around her chin, her other half is actually open.
http://jjinbeat.com/Cap/StarSpangledSite/Moonstone-Meteorite.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/USAgent/Download.jpg

Also in order for her head to fit inside her headpiece her head had to be narrowed or else her hair would of clipped through her headpiece.  And her costume actually goes up her neck but I couldnt get it to match up with the rest of her costume so I left it bare.

Ill fix up the eyes and and see what else I can do the the lightmap/Refl layer.   Thanks for the imput!

laughing paradox

You've got a good eye because I've never noticed the missing part of the chin section.

Maybe for the neck, could you add the metal finish? If that doesn't work, what about the red section with the seams?

Don't hate on the shine!! It doesn't have to be bright.. overly shiny.. but the actual finish could make a difference. It could just make it more like metal without the "Oh my god, my eyes are burning" brightness... lightmaps do that for you.

I'm guilty of the 'rush at the end of a skin' thing myself. It's just that kind of "Ugh, finish yourself, damn you" moment.. I get it too. I'm looking forward to seeing the reworked eyes.

USAgent

I made the eyes bigger and with a different shape and gave her a brighter refl layer. I also used the same lightmap as the one you told me to use for Sepulchre (even though I have no idea what a lightmap does :huh:)  Too much reflection now?  With this reflection )and even the first pic, you can't see the highlights I did trying to make her orange look like metal.

US(hate the shine)Agent

blobula

Sorry for my bad english, I`m still learning.

laughing paradox

The eyes do look way better!

I sent you a private message about lightmaps, because it was pretty big and I didn't want to hijack your thread. Keep that reflection, but change the lightmap.. that's not the one used for Sepulchre. Make sure the new lightmap overwrites the one you already have in that Meteorite skin folder.

Podmark

Quote from: USAgent on May 16, 2009, 07:53:34 PM
I had about 8 Meteorite reference pics for her and in every pic her costume was drasticly different than the next one (sometimes her costume changed multiple times in the same issue!) 

BWAHAHAHA!!! Now you know why I never skinned that costume! It literally was different in EVERY SINGLE SHOT! I'm convinced it was supposed to be a costume that was constantly changing, moving around.

I do want to point out that at least 3 shots in your collage are actually a different costume entirely. But you've done a decent job handling this look. You need to add the neckline though. And the Meteorite costume wasn't meant to be symmetrical but it did change all the time so you can easily get away with it.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

USAgent

Quote from: Podmark on May 17, 2009, 06:45:36 PM
BWAHAHAHA!!! Now you know why I never skinned that costume! It literally was different in EVERY SINGLE SHOT! I'm convinced it was supposed to be a costume that was constantly changing, moving around.

I do want to point out that at least 3 shots in your collage are actually a different costume entirely. But you've done a decent job handling this look. You need to add the neckline though. And the Meteorite costume wasn't meant to be symmetrical but it did change all the time so you can easily get away with it.

Ug, you aint lying, there actually isnt two pictures of her that are alike with that costume!  And I did know that there are some pics in that group of pics that arn't her Meteorite costume (any without the lines in the costume arnt, but I just needed something close to go off of). 
And as for her costume not being symmetrical, thats something I remember specificly from her appearances, but that would mean I would actually have to make 2 sides to her costume instead of just copying and pasting the left side to the right, and getting one side of her costume even close was hard enough :wacko:

I still gotta do something with her neck but which refl layer looks better, the one on the left that uses a grey refl file or the one on the right with a dark orange refl file?

Podmark

Personally I like the first one. It looks more reflecty.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

miguelyanke

laughing paradox

TGAH

I'm having trouble with the skins I downloaded, I can't get the to appear in the character tool menu, all I can find are empty files.

USAgent

Quote from: TGAH on May 30, 2009, 11:02:12 PM
I'm having trouble with the skins I downloaded, I can't get the to appear in the character tool menu, all I can find are empty files.

I just rechecked the recent files I uploaded and they all are ok, they all have their nifs and keyframes.  Are you using the wrong nif files? I included both FFV3R and FF1 character nifs for my latest skopes/skins.

lromano1441

Wow - it's been too long since I've been here - just wanted to say hey and see how everyone is doing - glad to see you guys are still around  :thumbup:
Never surrender!

USAgent

Hi lromano, its been a long time since I have seen your name!  Yeah, I came out of the skinning woodwork for a brief moment, but I am back snuggled into my nice little woodwork pocket again. 
But Meteorite is uploaded to my Yahoo group:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/USAgentskins2/files/

lromano1441

Nice to be back - lost a lot of my goodies when the old computer crashed - been hectic since then and there was a time I could not access the boards saying they were down - when I re-installed FF, I popped onto Wiki and clicked the link to see if it worked and well...I'm back :thumbup:

Probably will not overload the drive with goodies this time around but had to pop in and say hello - it's been far too long
Never surrender!

Jakew

Quote from: USAgent on July 05, 2009, 04:20:43 AM
Hi lromano, its been a long time since I have seen your name!  Yeah, I came out of the skinning woodwork for a brief moment, but I am back snuggled into my nice little woodwork pocket again.

Came out of the woodwork to make some awesomely tricky characters, more like  :thumbup: