The Removal of the Freedom Force Resource Forums

Started by Glitch Girl, March 06, 2009, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

style

Thats why I'm truly hurt by this. I've seen some of the best stuff of late being produced. And I myself was planing a come back! :banghead:
The Ultimate Fan!

steamteck

There's still Vertex's forum but I don't care for it as much and IPS IS over there. I wonder if they know about this over there yet.

Johnny Patches

i feel you stlyes :(
its a crying shame that 1 person made this happen :angry:
and no one can fix whats been broken :angry:

i think im going to stay away from that forum
sorry Vertex but i cant, :(

TaskMasterX

Quote from: steamteck on March 06, 2009, 06:24:14 PM
There's still Vertex's forum but I don't care for it as much and IPS IS over there. I wonder if they know about this over there yet.
Of course they do. Everyone associated with administering and supporting that forum supports IPS and it's existence is a direct effect of IPS's banning.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 06:28:22 PM
Of course they do. Everyone associated with administering and supporting that forum supports IPS and it's existence is a direct effect of IPS's banning.

I have to disagree, having just come out of the chatshack where Vertex was posting.  Not to go into length about it, but he's not happy with IPS over this, to say the least.  At least, that was my perception....I'll let him post his own feelings on the subject if he feels the need to do so.  In the light that IPS has painted himself, I don't think anyone will be willing to support him any more.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Alaric

I think you need to make a distinction between people supporting IPS's side in the initial disagreement and people supporting what he's actually done. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

(Edit):

Quote from: Xenolith on March 06, 2009, 06:39:12 PM
I'm almost embarrased for him.

Almost?

As petty and vindictive as this was, I actually feel sorry for the guy. I think he's always had the potential to become a self-righteously-angry, somewhat-paranoid, unhappy, self-centered individual, but I've known people like that, and, for all the trouble he's causing us, what he's done to himself is much, much worse. He didn't have to go down that path, but, now that he has, I doubt he's ever going to leave it.

(I hope for his sake I'm wrong about that last part, though.)
Fear the "A"!!!

catwhowalksbyhimself

I think you need to make a distinction between people supporting IPS's side in the initial disagreement and people supporting what he's actually done. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quoted for truth.  IPS didn't have a lot of supporters, but even they would not support this latest action, I'm pretty sure.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 06, 2009, 06:52:05 PM

Quoted for truth.  IPS didn't have a lot of supporters, but even they would not support this latest action, I'm pretty sure.

You are correct.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Alaric on March 06, 2009, 06:40:26 PM

In the initial disagreement IPS's supporters weren't supporting his side of the argument, they supported him. There were some that stated that while they didn't agree with him, their friend shouldn't fight alone. While they continued to not support his argument but support him by creating another forum for him. I base views of people by their actions, not words. Vertex has been asked to ban IPS from FU. Let's see what happens.

EDIT:
IPS's recent actions aren't at all surprising to me (after all, he's done this before, right?). What I do find surprising are those that claimed to be his friends (those that knew him best) are shocked and now distancing themselves from him. It took this for them to really understand how much of a mule's rear he is.

GhostMachine

To tell you the truth, I always thought IPS was a bit arrogant. I didn't like him, but I didn't exactly hate him, either.

I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on for a while, so I don't know what went on that led to IPS being banned. But if what got him banned wasn't it, him being a petty jerk and stirring up the trouble that led to the resource forums being taken down was crossing the line, and I don't think he should ever be allowed to come back.

Zapow

Guys, let's not turn this thread into a flame fest, okay?
[img width=145 height=45]http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdaybloke/HB/hbanim.gif[/img]

"I hold to a simple philosophy: Just assume everyone's a piece of crap and then be pleasantly surprised if you find anyone who ain't." - Luke Cage

The Phantom Eyebrow

I wasn't really following the whole debate as it raged on but this is quite the astonishing development.  I feel sorry for you guys running this place and any hoops you have to jump through now to deal with this.

Previsionary

Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 07:49:07 PM

In the initial disagreement IPS's supporters weren't supporting his side of the argument, they supported him. There were some that stated that while they didn't agree with him, their friend shouldn't fight alone. While they continued to not support his argument but support him by creating another forum for him. I base views of people by their actions, not words. Vertex has been asked to ban IPS from FU. Let's see what happens.

EDIT:
IPS's recent actions aren't at all surprising to me (after all, he's done this before, right?). What I do find surprising are those that claimed to be his friends (those that knew him best) are shocked and now distancing themselves from him. It took this for them to really understand how much of a mule's rear he is.

Um, some of this is pretty incorrect, so I think it's best not to make judgments or calls on things the general public has very little info on. The forum wasn't created FOR him and it was up before he was even banned, so that's just an odd thing to say. Also, Benton is active on that forum, so your initial post kinda paints him as a supporter when we all know the story on that.
Disappear when you least expe--

GhostMachine

Just out of curiosity, what was the debate that led to him being banned about?

MJB

That would be airing dirty laundry and clearly against the rules of the forums.

-MJB

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 06, 2009, 08:20:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, what was the debate that led to him being banned about?

Ugh, lets not go there again.... It boiled down to a disagreement about mod content and distribution.
But that's neither here nor there now...

So to move in another direction, i think that one thing we should do is try and compile an up-to-date list (as much as possible) of all the yahoo groups before being lost. Even if some sites go down over possible legal possibilities, those yahoo groups are pretty insulated from all of that and it would be nice to have a list of the stuff that is available.

I'm assuming the admins are at least keeping a SQL backup of the site so that at some point things like the master mesh list or other useful stickied stuff could be retrieved and hosted elsewhere?

The Nemesis

Add one more to the people not at all suprised. I thought this community was such a great place until this recent disagreement that IPS led, and it made me come here/contribute a lot less.

This situation is possibly a big problem, but I think right now the best thing going for the community is something I used to see as a disadvantage. We're small. It keeps us below radar. If  :ffvstr: was taking in huge numbers and Marvel/DC stuff was still getting made, it would be more likely that they'd see us as a threat. Right now it doesn't look like we're diverting customers from their games. Hell, every good FF video on youtube has comments by people totally wowed by the existance of such coolness, some of who have played the game, yet still "didn't know you could use Spider-man, how can I get him??"

So,fingers crossed. I hope after this we can close on this bad chapter and carry on, happy as we were.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Previsionary on March 06, 2009, 08:20:00 PM

EDIT:

Um, some of this is pretty incorrect, so I think it's best not to make judgments or calls on things the general public has very little info on. The forum wasn't created FOR him and it was up before he was even banned, so that's just an odd thing to say. Also, Benton is active on that forum, so your initial post kinda paints him as a supporter when we all know the story on that.
I never mentioned people who just go there. How could I blame a newbie who has no clue to the recent events here and wanders over to FU? Read carefully. I said "Everyone associated with administering and supporting that forum", meaning those that have a hand in creating, moderating, and hosting that forum. I think IPS actually hosts the forum (So I think that puts Vertex in a tight spot now), so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that creating those forums gave IPS an incentive to push his fight here. Maybe he (and some others) had planned this.

Tomato

Wow.

Prem's been catching me up on everything (we still keep in touch a bit even if I'm not exactly active) that's been happening as far as this, and he just linked me here. As much of a jerk as he was/is, I thought he was better than this.

IPS, if you're reading this, thank you for once again proving me and everyone else wrong.

Vertex

EDIT:

ummm one little thing, while I certainly am considering banning IPS over what he's done... (I DO NOT SUPPORT HIS ACTIONS)
I am surprised by you saying that I have been asked to ban him, I came to this conclusion on my own. I told him a long time ago that if there's one rule of the FF community it's that we're a community of peeps avoiding copyright laws.. and you don't call the cops. He's broken that rule.

and for the last time... FU was NOT created for IPS!!  I can honestly say that was my idea and my pet project which now is apparently doomed because I"m poor and got a friend to host it for me... who apparently decided it was okay to screw me over.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

deano_ue

guys we have to remember not to have innocent members caught in the crossfire, honestly attacking people who arnt to blame is extremely low

TaskMasterX

You were asked by some, to ban him. Whether or not that was before or after you came to your conclusion (not really a conclusion is it, if you're considering it, and haven't actually done it) is beside the point.

Previsionary

Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

EDIT:

I never mentioned people who just go there. How could I blame a newbie who has no clue to the recent events here and wanders over to FU? Read carefully. I said "Everyone associated with administering and supporting that forum", meaning those that have a hand in creating, moderating, and hosting that forum. I think IPS actually hosts the forum (So I think that puts Vertex in a tight spot now), so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that creating those forums gave IPS an incentive to push his fight here. Maybe he (and some others) had planned this.

I read it fine (edited, no) and I didn't say anything about a newbie. :P. Anyone who joined up and posted on the forum is "supporting" it. That was my point. Your original post was a wide brush stroke. Regardless, hosting and moderating doesn't mean "instant support" either. They're people, not robots. Unless they are robots...different story then.
Disappear when you least expe--

Vertex

Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 09:47:20 PM
You were asked by some, to ban him. Whether or not that was before or after you came to your conclusion (not really a conclusion is it, if you're considering it, and haven't actually done it) is beside the point.

Actually sigh for the last time I wasn't. I checked both my inboxes at the forums and there isn't a single post asking me to do so. (which amazes me to no end I must say)
cause I don't know squat

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Previsionary on March 06, 2009, 09:50:00 PM
Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

EDIT:

I read it fine (edited, no) and I didn't say anything about a newbie. :P. Anyone who joined up and posted on the forum is "supporting" it. That was my point. Your original post was a wide brush stroke. Regardless, hosting and moderating doesn't mean "instant support" either. They're people, not robots. Unless they are robots...different story then.
Ah, then it all must be coincidence that when IPS was banned, two days later a new forum is up hosted by IPS and administered and supported by all those that supported IPS in his Argument. That must be it.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Vertex on March 06, 2009, 09:50:46 PM

Actually sigh for the last time I wasn't. I checked both my inboxes at the forums and there isn't a single post asking me to do so. (which amazes me to no end I must say)
Well, I was told by a trustworthy source that they had contacted you and asked for you to ban him.

Vertex

Quote from: TaskMasterX on March 06, 2009, 09:57:32 PM
Quote from: Vertex on March 06, 2009, 09:50:46 PM

Well, I was told by a trustworthy source that they had contacted you and asked for you to ban him.

I can't comment on this unnamed mystery source but I can swear on my honor, this wasn't done.  However, let me state again and again and again I did NOT support that whole fiasco with IPS I told you DURING the event.. AFTER the event and still you keep saying I did... I considered IPS a friend of mine with a bad temper and even worse sense of logic .. and hoped he wasn't capable of something like this. This said let me point out something for ya...

I wanted to create a new forum for a diff view on FF in general and to promote some things I didn't think this one does... and now.. IPS has COMPLETELY screwed me over by poisoning my forum, getting me branded as some conspirator... and otherwise ruining everything I've been trying to do lately. So I think you can take me off the list of "IPS supporters" Logic alone should tell you that ... at this point.
cause I don't know squat

AncientSpirit

With great sadness I've just discovered and read this thread.  

It seems remarkable to me that IPS, who spent so much of his time violating the copyrighted materials of others simply because he wanted to more fully enjoy the FF game(s) more, would try to hurt people who are only doing the same thing.

I hope that he acted in anger with his first action and that removing all trace of him here appeases him, and that in reflection he feels somewhat ashamed of himself for his Marvel/DC threats.    

There would be no shame in that.   People often regret things said in anger and frustration.

IPS has a wonderful talent, and found within this community the opportunity to display it ... and be appreciated for it.   I sincerely hope that he doesn't ruin that same opportunity for others, who may first be starting out.

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!