The Removal of the Freedom Force Resource Forums

Started by Glitch Girl, March 06, 2009, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

Seriously people, its this he said she said bickering that got us here in the first place.... can we all just move forward. What happened happened. It sucks, but lets focus on what we can do now...

doctorchallenger

While this is my opinion, and carries no weight beyond that, this is going in a direction that is not going to help matters in any way.  

I think I can confidently say that many are angry here, myself included.  But venting that anger at people who are still active and participating members of the community is going to do even more damage, hurt more feelings, cause more resentment.  

I, for one, am angry at IPS for lashing out in such an immature manner, not because he zealously defended his point of view.  I am certainly not angry at others for being sympathy or agreeing, or whatever, with IPS during that dispute.  The only way to settle disputes is to hash them out.  The community did that. IPS, in my opinion was a sore loser. Compromise is a bitter pill, but that's life.  This is not a comic book reality, with clear cut good and evil.  That kind of thinking lead to this whole debacle. I hope that we can put that kind of thinking behind us. Please.

Previsionary

TMX, the forum was up BEFORE he was banned. I said that earlier. The forum was joined by a bunch of people on both sides of that argument. As members and posters, they supported it enough to post and show off works of art they hadn't shown off here. That does not inherently mean they feel strongly one way or another for whatever IPS thinks or holds as his ideals and it certainly doesn't mean they stand by him no matter what.

That's all my point was. It's unfair to paint beliefs onto people who have not stated their beliefs as such. At this point, we can only speak on what IPS perpetrated towards FR and that's about it, me thinks. "FU" and what goes on there is excess.
Disappear when you least expe--

tommyboy

Quote from: Vertex on March 06, 2009, 09:40:17 PM
ummm one little thing, while I certainly am considering banning IPS over what he's done... (I DO NOT SUPPORT HIS ACTIONS)
I am surprised by you saying that I have been asked to ban him, I came to this conclusion on my own. I told him a long time ago that if there's one rule of the FF community it's that we're a community of peeps avoiding copyright laws.. and you don't call the cops. He's broken that rule.

and for the last time... FU was NOT created for IPS!!  I can honestly say that was my idea and my pet project which now is apparently doomed because I"m poor and got a friend to host it for me... who apparently decided it was okay to screw me over.

Honestly, if it was just you and the other Admins there, I'd be a member. I have no problems with any of you guys.
But even before this astonishing display of hypocrisy, pettyness and betrayal by IPS I couldn't join a forum which he hosted, or even one he posted on.
I'm genuinely sorry that what should have been a viable alternative cannot be that for me, and for my part in bringing us to where we are.
I do still feel some of this is my doing, for so publicly arguing with IPS as to force the issue. Maybe if I'd kept my virtual mouth shut, we would not be where we are now.
I cannot apologize enough for that.

Vertex

Honestly don't see anything you need to apologize for Tommy. Sadly things played out so wrong on this but, you certainly didn't cause it in any way.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

The Nemesis

No Tommy, IPS did what he did cause he's a sore loser, it's not a mystery.

zuludelta

Wow. I'd never even heard about all of this going on before today. When I stopped skinning/hex editing for FF, I generally stopped checking out the Freedom Force-related portion of the boards and limited myself to the Community Forums area, so all of this just went by without me noticing.

There's a part of me that feels somewhat angry even though I'm not directly affected by the Freedom Force Resource Forums going down (it's probably me sympathizing with the skinners/meshers/modders who've lost one of the best venues for sharing their work and experience).

I guess the upside is that I've seen the FF modding community come back from similar setbacks, although they'll have to do it this time without FR's official support.
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

Gremlin

Hey, did anyone back up the FF section before it was taken down? When this blows over it'd be nice to not have to restart everything.

deano_ue

honestly this whole thing along with the sly diggs in this thread has really made me consider wrapping the whole thing up and saying b*****ks to it all

Gremlin

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 06, 2009, 10:54:12 PM
honestly this whole thing along with the sly diggs in this thread has really made me consider wrapping the whole thing up and saying b*****ks to it all

Don't do that, man. a) We've recovered from worse than this, and b) people are offended and angry and hurt, so it's no surprise they're lashing out in the heat of the moment, but look at the number of angry posts versus the number of posts AGAINST that. Look at the Ring the Bell thread, look at how people are clinging even tighter to what we have left.

TUE, you're a TERRIFIC talent, and an all-around decent chap. I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd hate to see you go because of this.

Courtnall6

Sadly I may be heading there with you...
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Gremlin

Quote from: Courtnall6 on March 06, 2009, 11:00:30 PM

C6, not you, too. We'd all hate to see you leave.

BentonGrey

If y'all do that, IPS wins.  He has attempted to destroy the community (whatever his claims to the contrary), and if we walk away we're letting him win.  He's been told he can't play in the game, so not only is he taking his ball and going home, he's throwing it through a window and calling the cops.

I asked VX to ban IPS, not understanding he was hosting FU.  VX did not get that message, as I've been having connection problems all day.  Leave the man alone, he's gotten a raw deal here.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Gremlin

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 06, 2009, 11:04:30 PM

If y'all do that, IPS wins.  He has attempted to destroy the community (whatever his claims to the contrary), and if we walk away we're letting him win.  He's been told he can't play in the game, so not only is he taking his ball and going home, he's throwing it through a window and calling the cops.

I think the community's survival is a more important factor than one person's victory or loss at this point. Losing two high-profile skinners would freaking devastate us. A lot of people would leave, too.

BentonGrey

Well, it helps people to focus and endure to personalize things.  The REASON I am encouraging them not to go is the community's survival, but that should be subordinate to their own happiness...however, letting IPS get this over on us...that goes hand in hand with self-interest.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

deano_ue

agreed BG but honestly i am worried about how this is gonna affect me, if he does go to the big companys and they track down various site, i'm worried how this will work out for separate artists, i have my portfolio site where i try and sell my work all i need is a C&D and my host pulling the plug even though it's images and not files

Reepicheep

Courtnall6

Johnny Patches

QuoteHonestly, if it was just you and the other Admins there, I'd be a member. I have no problems with any of you guys.
But even before this astonishing display of hypocrisy, pettyness and betrayal by IPS I couldn't join a forum which he hosted, or even one he posted on.
I'm genuinely sorry that what should have been a viable alternative cannot be that for me, and for my part in bringing us to where we are.
I do still feel some of this is my doing, for so publicly arguing with IPS as to force the issue. Maybe if I'd kept my virtual mouth shut, we would not be where we are now.
I cannot apologize enough for that.

hey tommy,
its was going to happen no matter what was said and done,
he had his mind set on this.

Edit: Ninja

BentonGrey

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 06, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

agreed BG but honestly i am worried about how this is gonna affect me, if he does go to the big companys and they track down various site, i'm worried how this will work out for separate artists, i have my portfolio site where i try and sell my work all i need is a C&D and my host pulling the plug even though it's images and not files

Ughh....yeah, something I hadn't really thought about.  I would say that I don't see him being that short-sighted and stupid...but....well....yeah....maybe you should keep your head down for a while, but I do hope you won't give it up all together.
God Bless

Gremlin

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 06, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

Well, last time I checked, IPS still has copywrighted characters on his personal site, too. Heck, Magneto's on the front page. I doubt much will come of that. But if you DO quit skinning, please don't leave the community itself. Your contribution as a member of FR, creator or no, is invaluable.

The Enigma

I'm surprised, actually. I did not expect that from anyone, especially not someone as active in the FR community as IPS. I was vaguely aware that a disagreement was going on in the background, but mostly I visit the site because I like to talk about the comics and look at the pretty skins for a game I uninstalled years ago. I come back, day after day; I continue to post because I really like it here. I always saw it as an intelligent and mature place for people to discuss their interests in a friendly atmosphere. That image has been shaken, but noy yet destroyed. The community kept me here long after my interest in the game had faded, I just hope it won't fracture so badly that I stop visiting entirely. (And who knows, maybe my postcount will finally reach that elusive 1000 figure!)
The Enigma skin by Juancho, thanks Jay. Fate skin by Kitt Basher, thanks Kitt. Microhero by Reepicheep, thanks Reep. Fate smiley by Paradox. RIP dude.

ElijahSnowFan

why didn't one of you smart guys tempt IPS with the Anti-Life Equation before he killed Superman?!?! now look what you've done! the world has died, screaming!

(points to everyone who knows exactly which JLU episode i'm talking about.)

as always, i mostly lurk in this community, since i am definitely not a creator -- don't have those kinds of skills.

but i did want to say that, while this is one of the darkest moments for this site, that hopefully, people will still stay in this community. this community has always been a fun one to be around -- there are some truly funny, creative and talented people here. selfless, not selfish. people who gave a lot of time and effort into making games that were published years ago, and probably can't even be found today pretty much anywhere, simply an amazing game to play.

it's going to change, but that doesn't mean it has to end. it doesn't. there are fans of comics here. fans of characters. fans of concepts and ideas and "the neverending battle."

i've always found that, when tough times come, the kind of people who come here are usually a good place to start.

harvey danger

zuludelta

Quote from: The Enigma on March 06, 2009, 11:28:28 PMmostly I visit the site because I like to talk about the comics...

... I come back, day after day; I continue to post because I really like it here. I always saw it as an intelligent and mature place for people to discuss their interests in a friendly atmosphere. That image has been shaken, but not yet destroyed. The community kept me here long after my interest in the game had faded

Yup. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this place. It's the only virtual community that I've ever felt an honest-to-goodness connection to (well, this and the late NPI community). All it needs is an expanded music section and a sports discussion section and I wouldn't have to visit any other forums :D

Courtnall6

Quote from: zuludelta on March 06, 2009, 11:42:39 PM
Quote from: The Enigma on March 06, 2009, 11:28:28 PMmostly I visit the site because I like to talk about the comics...

... I come back, day after day; I continue to post because I really like it here. I always saw it as an intelligent and mature place for people to discuss their interests in a friendly atmosphere. That image has been shaken, but not yet destroyed. The community kept me here long after my interest in the game had faded

Yup. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this place. It's the only virtual community that I've ever felt an honest-to-goodness connection to. All it needs is an expanded music section and a sports discussion section and I wouldn't have to visit any other forums :D

The sports discussion section would be nice...although I think I'm the only hockey fan around these parts...

I generally don't post outside of the CoX part of the forums, I lurk around the other parts.
But at one time I did make skins and do feel and unhealthy obsession with this site even tho I never really played any of the games :(
I have no idea what happened and don"t really care, I think it sucks that one twisted person and cause so much havoc.

docdelorean88

I am soo much more than disappointed... Admins, I have no beef with you, keep doing what you are! Skinners/meshers who are considering retirement... Though i am extremely saddenend by your thoughts i will back you up one hundred percent. It seems that there has been no true copyright infringement due simply to the fact that noone has SOLD anything related. I do however understand the thought process to save those who are deciding to back out, that is a respectable and intellegent move, all i can say should that be your final choice is thankyou for the endless hours of enjoyment you have gifted us with, and i hope (this will be resolved soon so that) we will see your work again some day. Now that i am thinking about it, should the fanfiction and art areas be sweaped out as well(even temporarily, until this is sorted out)?
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Courtnall6 on March 06, 2009, 11:46:45 PM
Quote from: zuludelta on March 06, 2009, 11:42:39 PM

Yup. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this place. It's the only virtual community that I've ever felt an honest-to-goodness connection to. All it needs is an expanded music section and a sports discussion section and I wouldn't have to visit any other forums :D

The sports discussion section would be nice...although I think I'm the only hockey fan around these parts...

nope, you're not the only hockey fan.

and i agree about a sports area

zuludelta

Quote from: Courtnall6 on March 06, 2009, 11:46:45 PMThe sports discussion section would be nice...although I think I'm the only hockey fan around these parts...

I think the problem with having a sports discussion area is the same one that would be inherent in having political and religious discussions: many people tend to get overly emotional or lose sight of rationality when it comes to discussing their favourite sports teams and sports figures. Some of the sports boards I frequent are just about as bad as 4chan when it comes to people taking things way too far and acting juvenile.

I don't really consider myself a "true" hockey fan (especially when compared to some people I know... my mum, for one) but I do keep up with the Canucks games on TV. I'm more of a basketball and boxing fan myself, and I'm slowly getting into mixed martial arts. Heck, my whole extended family's made up of boxing and competitive martial arts fans. We actually schedule our family gatherings and reunions around pay-per-view fights and some of our photo album folders are labeled not by date, but by the principal fighters involved in the match :lol: