News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on December 09, 2015, 06:49:25 PM
Deadpool #3 Duggans run was strong when it started,but now its just barely average.Other Deadpools might have actually been a mistake.
Hercules #2 is still great.Btw wasnt Gilgamesh dead?

Gilgamesh is an Eternal. Whenever they die, they generally spawn a new body for themselves back at their homebase. He's also been up an' at 'em on page since the late 2000's, thanks to a short-lived Eternals ongoing following Gaiman's miniseries.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

http://www.newsarama.com/27178-marvel-comics-march-2016-solicitations.html
More Spider-man and Deadpool then you ever wanted!2 events.People going to Weirdworld.X-men 92.Jim Starlin and Alan Davis are here for another Infinity story,focusing on Adam Warlock this time.Avengers Assemble has Civil War,because ofc it does.Collections are expected-Civil War,Punisher,Black Panther and more Civil War.Also Hawkeye and Thunderbolts,that I didnt expect.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

Love me some more X-Men 92. And I especially love the Souls of Mischief shoutout in that teaser image!

HarryTrotter

So out of morbid curiosity-Squadron Supreme #1-and its way worst then you could imagine.And nobody ever shuts up about justice.Whatever happened to James
Robinson who wrote Starman and JLA?  :banghead:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

But does someone ever say "And together we can BE justice!"?  ^_^

Ironic though that James Robinson wrote JLA around the same time as Cry for Justice.
I have heard many times that his Earth 2 series was really good though.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 18, 2015, 01:19:25 AM
But does someone ever say "And together we can BE justice!"?  ^_^

Ironic though that James Robinson wrote JLA around the same time as Cry for Justice.
I have heard many times that his Earth 2 series was really good though.
Not in those words,but Hyperion does in fact decapitate Namor,and Doctor Spectrum punts his head.That really makes up for it.But Doctor Strange,Reed Richards(if he survived SW which I doubt) and Tony Stark are innocent for the whole thing somehow.OUR HEROES,LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Jon Farmer

daglob

This whole "Someone Must Pay" thing makes me wonder: how may villains are in the Marvel universe who have killed and gotten away with it? This doesn't count The Punisher who isn't a villain, but should have a body count in the hundreds (at least).

HarryTrotter

2000 in one night with a nuke,Ennis puts his count at over 2000,so Punisher has a score of over 4k confirmed.Now in their defense,other heroes try to arrest him all the time,but hes just better(see Society of Dunces).
But Frank Castle is a simple character.He has a cool shirt,he kills criminals and sometimes he has a dark sense of humor.
Squadron Supreme(this one) are just ansty jerks who kick severed heads around.They arent even the  protagonists,they are just straw character,plot devices that make other heroes look good.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

^^ That depends on whether you count villains who have killed but go in and out of prison.
It also depends on what crimes they were or weren't convicted for. Was Norman Osborne convicted for the death of Swordsman?
Does it count if the character they killed has come back to life? (ah comics. How often do you get to say stuff like that?)
Does it count if the villain dies, is captured or otherwise punished for different reasons (example: Arcade, Vulcan)

-The Kingpin's definitely gotten away with killing people. If nothing else, he killed a body double stand-in during Inferior Spider-Man in order to fake his death.
-The Phil Urich Hobgoblin (now the Goblin King) killed the brother of the original Hobgoblin, and is still at large. He's probably killed others, but I've forgotten.
-Mystique's gotten away with killing people at least once.  Here's an example. There's probably others. Did she get away with killing Moira McTaggert?
-Zemo killed Andrea Von Strucker during his time as Citizen V. To my knowledge Zemo has not been captured or convicted for any crimes since Thunderbolts started. Though as of his most recent appearance in Captain America apparently his fate is ambiguous as he was caught in an explosion.
-Henry Peter Gyrich was written as a villain in Thunderbolts, and mind controlled Jack Munroe/Nomad/Scourge who killed Zemo, Jolt, Fixer and Atlas (all of which got better). Then Gyrich got swiped by other writers for Avengers books and he got off scott free for his crimes.

What about Magneto? He goes back and forth between hero and villain, but has killed and gotten away with it during his time with the X-Men in recent years (as have many heroes)

It's funny. In the 90's New Warriors Justice willingly served prison time because he accidentally killed his abusive father with his powers. Same with Abe Jenkins/Beetle/Mach in Thunderbolts, and for a death caused in a much older story no less. Gotta love that Busiek/Fabian Necieza. We should get those two on this.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Thats barely the tip of the iceberg.Bullseye,Red Skull,Kingpin himself all got free on hundreds of occasions.Sabretooth eats babies,but now hes a "hero".From human monsters like Cameron Hodge and William Stryker to immortals like Apocalypse and Selene to cosmic threaths like Mephisto and Annihilus,there are are lot of villains who really deserved to die for what they did/still do.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Ext X-men #4 For once,I have to say: HOLY FLYING S*IT!
In his own style Sinister has been working on a Mutant/Inhuman hybrid.Not only has he created one,but its
Spoiler
Cyclops.
That was unexpected.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
Admittedly, it's Mr. Sinister. Dude was creeping on Slim since he was a little kid in the orphanage.
That's actually a pretty neat twist. I might pick up this series on the cheap during my LCS's boxing day sale. Depends if they got any left.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,I might have actually been too harsh on the series.Everything else aside,at least its miles better then the run by Bendis.
Deadpool #4 Deadpools in all the colors of the rainbow!Duggan is really phoning this one in...
New Avengers #4 Sunspot also has terrigen sickness.At least they are consistent with other books.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Again,out of morbid curiosity-Uncanny X-men #1 Its pretty much what I expected from Bunn.And Greg Land.So yeah the artwork is traced from Lands previous works and the story is pretty much nonexistent.And
Spoiler
Dark Riders
are back.Because Apocalypse is in again.  :thumbdown:
Jon Farmer

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 20, 2015, 06:52:00 PM
If you think about it, you can understand why.....

Spoiler
I think Marvel wants to stay away from the classic monsters and use their own monsters.  Plus isn't there a cartoon coming out with the Howling Commandos Monsters or something???

However,
Spoiler
Jack (Werewolf By Night) and N'Kantu (The Living Mummy) were Marvel's own monsters.

Dana

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on January 10, 2016, 07:07:43 PM
www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134184-civil-war-2-to-feature-one-character-death-one-character-assasination.html?utm_content=buffer82672&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
You guessed it!Somebody will die in Civil War 2.
And this time Tony is the "good guy",while Captain Marvel is the...well...Nazi if we keep up with CW themes.

So... Captain Marvel's going to become the new Captain Nazi? (JK)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on January 10, 2016, 07:07:43 PM
www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134184-civil-war-2-to-feature-one-character-death-one-character-assasination.html?utm_content=buffer82672&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
You guessed it!Somebody will die in Civil War 2.
And this time Tony is the "good guy",while Captain Marvel is the...well...Nazi if we keep up with CW themes.

If Captain Marvel is like Tony in the original Civil War, I do not understand Marvel at all.  "I know, we've got a character poised to break out to a whole new level of popularity!  She's got a movie coming, and it'll be our first female-led one!  Let's make her a huge jerk*"

*'Jerk' is in lieu of an actual bad word to call someone.

HarryTrotter

Never thought I would say this but,can we get Mark Millar back?
I also never thought Marvel can produce anything dumber the Avengers/Attack on Titan but they proved me wrong on almost weekly basis. :|
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Marvels newest teaser.Are they talking about somebody short,hairy and Canadian?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on January 13, 2016, 06:13:29 AM

Marvels newest teaser.Are they talking about somebody short,hairy and Canadian?

I hope not, because i really liking the current Wolverine and I wouldn't mind if she stays that way.  What is Marvel planning on doing?  have two Spider-men as well as two Wolverines?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Isn't there like a whole Spider-men corps right now?
I guess it could be Prof. X?Storm does have vision of him.
Who else is dead?Uncle Ben?Yeah,its probably Uncle Ben.Its the only thing that would "shock" the readers at this point.
Also Secret Wars are over!Yey! :rolleyes:
Thou we already knew how its going to end.Except the FF part.
Spoiler
Franklin is building the multiverse again?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

"And yet somehow, I just can't seem to care"
~Angel (the Buffy character, not the X-Man)

Uncle Ben or Gwen Stacy could make sense, since it sounds like "Spider-Man No More" and Gwen Stacy has for some ungodly reason become the new Deadpool or Squirrel Girl.

Only problem with Uncle Ben is that they already done that story beat like 3 or 4 times in the last few years. Spider-Verse was especially embarrassing since they promoted it as a big twist, despite:

1. Just being an alternate universe version (which incidentally was the story one of the previous times he came back)
2. He was already introduced in a earlier issue of the storyline.

Spider-Verse/Web Warriors is alternate universe shenanigans though, so it doesn't count I guess.

At this point the only way I'd actually get excited or even interested is if Marvel started bringing back c-list characters who were used as canon fodder. That wouldn't be an event though, so it's obviously going to be someone high profile. Just in time for them to kill someone high profile but not too high profile in Civil War! Maybe they should bring them back for this event in media rez!   ;)

Actually, you know what, I was just joking, but now I actually want them to do that. It'd at least be different and unconventional. Eisner please!  :P
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Some have guessed it could be Uatu,but I don't really see that getting so much attention.
Could be Jean Grey,but doubt it since we have teen/Jean around.
Namor?Richard Rider?Ben Reilly?
Anyone dead and supposed to show up in an upcoming movie?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on January 13, 2016, 03:49:45 PM

Uncle Ben?!  Uncle Ben comes back and Peter learns that his uncle was a Shield agent and faked his death to help Fury (old white one) fight the evil aliens out in space.  For his good deeds, Ben was offer to become a Watcher to replace the fallen Uatu.  Ben accepted the role and now he watch Peter and all of earth as The Watcher!!!

With these ideas in my head, I can get a job with Marvel!  :D :P

JeyNyce

On a serious note, I hope it's Bill Foster (Goliath).  It would be great to see him again and according to rumors and Lego toys, Giant man is suppose to make an appearance in the Civil War movie.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on January 13, 2016, 03:57:07 PM
Quote from: Spade on January 13, 2016, 03:49:45 PM

Uncle Ben?!  Uncle Ben comes back and Peter learns that his uncle was a Shield agent and faked his death to help Fury (old white one) fight the evil aliens out in space.  For his good deeds, Ben was offer to become a Watcher to replace the fallen Uatu.  Ben accepted the role and now he watch Peter and all of earth as The Watcher!!!

With these ideas in my head, I can get a job with Marvel!  :D :P
No you cant.That is actually a good idea. ;-)
We all know Wolverine and Namor are going to come back any day now,so dont think that would be teased.
My final guess is either uncle Ben or Ben Reilly.Its been 20 years from the end of Clone Saga,kindaaaa makes sense.
Its Ben in any case.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Its going to be Uncle Ben, but he's going to return from the dead with the ability to shoot rice from his fingertips.   :P

HarryTrotter

OR actually we got it wrong,and its all just a Deadpool promo.He could become just Pool or Livepool. :)
Jon Farmer

daglob

Wait... wait... I can see it... Deadpool in a white on white costume with a hand-like emblem on the chest...