News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

http://www.newsarama.com/26559-spoilers-a-surprise-x-man-returns-in-extraordinary-x-men-1.html
Guess whos back in Extraordinary X-men?If its now just a vision/dream or a ghost.
Also Storm is pretty much echoing things Cable said to her way back in Cable and X-force.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I got caught up in my comics a few days ago. Read New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Guardians, and Ant-Man.

New Avengers: I know a lot of people have been unimpressed by this book, and so I had my expectations set fairy low. That being sad, I liked it. It's short, it skips over recruiting the characters and setting up the team, and it's strictly setting up the arc, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad. It's not great, but I'm still willing to pick up more. I liked the gag with Hawkeye, and I especially liked the tease in Avengers #0 where they play up future storylines. I've seen other books, such as Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron, do that and it's a good way to get me intrigued at future stories. I liked the art more than I thought I would. I fully admit that I'm going in with a massive bias because I'm a fan of Wiccan, Hulkling, Songbird, and to a lesser extent the Victor Alvarez Power Man.

Uncanny Avengers: Not impressed with this one. Old man Steve Rogers running around like a superhero is ridiculous, A good chunk of the issue is spent on bickering, the X-Men are dying because Fox, Pietro's new costume still sucks, and Stegman's art has been better in the past. We have a tease for a new villain who I'm not interested in at all. I'm not sure about this book. I'll probably pick up the next one, but it'll have to improve soon if I'm going to keep picking it up. I do feel a little dirty for supporting a book where Marvel is killing the X-Men though.

Guardians of the Galaxy: I only have one thing to say about this issue:
Spoiler
So is Kitty still cosmic or not? I've been wondering this ever since the solicts and covers for this volume came out and I still don't have an answer one way or the other. I'm really not a fan of Bendis' run keeping you waiting for answers to simple  questions that should have been addressed from the beginning.

Ant-Man!!  :thumbup: Ant-Man still awesome. The book's picking up right where it left off with the various plot points from earlier, and that's fine by me.
Spoiler
They finally acknowledged Cassie's time with the Young Avengers. Yay! Also Scott Lang's in jail, again. Watch your back in the showers Scott. I may be remembering the earlier issues poorly, but Darren Cross' son seems a little childish for his age. I'm sure that's supposed to be for comedic effect, but it kinda makes me think he has some kind of condition.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

This was in the previews a long time ago,so I dont know if its still relevant,but IIRC both Kitty and Thing are with the Guardians,because;I quote Bendis: "We wanted more Jews in space".His words,not mine.
BTW,tommorow we get Extraordinary #1 and Uncanny X-men #600.Im actually interested to see how will Bendis will finish his run.And just to get over the hype around EX.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'd say it's more anti-hype with EX. I've definitely felt like it's been a long wait for closure on Bendis' X-Men run.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 03, 2015, 06:47:28 AM
I'd say it's more anti-hype with EX. I've definitely felt like it's been a long wait for closure on Bendis' X-Men run.

Didnt say it was a good hype.I have seen that a lot of people hold Justice League United against Jeff Lemire for some reason.
On the plus side I like the lineup and the costumes from what I saw in the previews.  :unsure:
On the other hand,I havent seen much excitement about Uncanny or (new) All New X-men.Mostly because...well,Greg Land.  <_<
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm also not a big fan of Cullen Bunn. And I haven't entirely forgiven Dennis Hopeless for Avengers Arena/Undercover.
I've read some of JL United. I don't think it's bad. It's alright, it's just not amazing.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Hopeless did a good job with Cable and X-force,but Im not really interested in the original five anyway.
Reed Richards once said(first story by Mark Waid IIRC):People like us have to reinvent themselves once in a while or people will forget them.Extraordinary X-men DOES NOT apply that lesson.
Spoiler
If you read 198,THIS IS BASICALLY IT.Im not exaggerating,it a literal rehash of M-day.Professor isn't actually back,guessed that one.Nightcrawler is again randomly quoting Bible.Ah,the quirks from Chuck Austens run.  <_<
I wasnt expecting much,but Im still completely disappointed.
Deadpool #1 was actually entertaining.They mention Punisher,so I guess he did make the transition.
On the other hand I cant complain about Hercules #1,that was great.
Uncanny X-men #600 end pretty pointlessly.Long version-
Spoiler
Every mutant in the world gathers at the same place.And they got teleported or something? :wacko:
Also young/Iceman outs old/Iceman.Who was actually always gay,just he decided not to be gay because being a gay mutant would be too much.His words,not mine.Well...that was awkward at best...
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Peter Parker is the new Tony Stark and is working with SHIELD.  Do you guys think he's going to fund his own team??  Will Parker fund the Web Warriors??
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/cloonan-dillons-punisher-is-like-a-criminal-targeting-jason-voorhees

Punisher will get a new series by Becky Cloonan and Steve Dillon.That doesnt really sound exciting to be honest.
Btw has anyone seen Citizen V?Anywhere?Anyone?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

The last Punisher series was pretty good until the last couple of issues.  If they keep with the same style, I might pick it up.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 09, 2015, 02:32:58 PM
The last Punisher series was pretty good until the last couple of issues.  If they keep with the same style, I might pick it up.

Seeing Steve Dillon is involved,I would say this is more of a throwback to early '00.Which was arguably the best era for the character.I know Im probably the only one,but I liked Marvel Knights series a lot better then the MAX series.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I haven't seen or heard anything about Citizen V since that teaser. Still kinda curious when that will surface.
~Rocky Balboa

Cyber Burn

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if Squadron Sinister #4 has been released yet? I thought it had an October 28 release date, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Thank you for any help you guys can provide here.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 10, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, anyone know if Squadron Sinister #4 has been released yet? I thought it had an October 28 release date, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Thank you for any help you guys can provide here.

This might seem like an obvious question,but did you check ComicList?
http://www.comiclist.com/index.php
Jon Farmer

Cyber Burn

Actually, "Squadron" is the first series that I've picked up in YEARS, and I think that is a major understatement, so I definitely appreciate the link.

HarryTrotter

Carnage #1 was more of the same,basically.Which isnt a bad thing in this case.If you liked Carnage before,you will probably want to follow this series.
I did like the story of Illuminati #1,the artwork looks like a colouring book,and it couldnt be more out of place if they tried.Here is a preview for those interested.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/illuminati-1-marvel-comics-2015-2015
And we now have Chitauri in the main universe?Who liked them that much anyway?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

re: Carnage: That's fine by me, I still haven't read Superior Carnage, Deadpool vs Carnage, and Axis: Carnage. So I'll just read those first.
re: Chitauri: Actually, the Chitauri have been in the main MCU for a few years now. They appeared in the Sam Alexander Nova series and have appeared pretty regularly.

On the topic of Nova, I just finished the first issue of the new volume just the other day and it was alright. Not amazing, but decent. The best thing I can ever say about the SA Nova is that ever since the book started, no matter which writer is writing the book (we're on our fourth regular writer), the book still feels like the same story. It's not like most other ongoings where a new regular writer/run means a completely different direction and tone.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I havent read Nova in a long time,so I missed that.Well,I dont doubt Mark Waid will do a good job with them and The Avengers,but I dont really care about any of them.No offense to fans of the current Avengers.
I found the new arrivals to Marvel universe to be almost random.Supreme Power Nighthawk will get a solo series?Nobody saw that coming.
While Old Man Logan is almost only Millars work I liked,its a bit unnececary to have him join the X-men.Story itself is a homage to Unforgiven(Wolverine even looks like Clint Eastwood),and it even ends in an idealistic tone(weird for  Millar).But its a complete story,there isnt much need to transplant the character to regular  universe.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I haven't Nova in years.  I pretty much like Richard Rider as Nova, what happen to him?  I do like this other female Nova that was in Secret Wars Infinity Gauntlet, is she still around?

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 12, 2015, 01:46:54 PM
I haven't Nova in years.  I pretty much like Richard Rider as Nova, what happen to him?  I do like this other female Nova that was in Secret Wars Infinity Gauntlet, is she still around?

Last I know,Richard was stuck in the Cancerverse at the end of Thanos Imperative and presumed dead.But that was some time ago...
I caught up to Star Wars and Darth Vader,and I gotta say-great stuff.  :cool:
Cant wait for Vader Down.
And speaking of events-early next year we got Avengers: Standoff,crossover between EVERY Avengers title.Too soon?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

A year ago or so Guardians of the Galaxy showed what happened to Starlord, Drax, Thanos and Nova (since the book put off revealing this up until this point) and yeah, he dead.
I'm pretty sure I brought up Standoff in an earlier post. It's not that big a deal to me since I'm already buying all but two of the Avengers books anyway, and one of the books in the crossover is Captain America by Nick Spencer, which I'm interested in anyways.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im only following New Avengers from Avengers family.BTW If Illuminati had the same artstyle that would have been great.I dont know who was assigning art duties,but he might have switched the up on few cases.
On the other side we are probably getting X-men vs Inhumans,also next year.That is too soon.
And regular Wolverine might be back just in time for the movie from what I hear.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 10, 2015, 02:23:48 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I meant to check and post this, yes, #4 is available on Comixology (digital comics platform) which usually means the print version came out the same week. Hope you're able to find a copy if you haven't yet.
~Rocky Balboa

Cyber Burn

Thank you Shocker. I was able to grab a (Print) copy yesterday on the way home from work. I am such a sucker when it comes to the Squadron, even though I don't really collect anything anymore, I had to have this set.

Silver Shocker

I really got to read more Squadron Supreme myself. I've heard a lot of good things about the original Mark Gruenwald series.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 14, 2015, 08:46:20 AM
I really got to read more Squadron Supreme myself. I've heard a lot of good things about the original Mark Gruenwald series.

I would also recommend Supreme Power,if you haven't read it already.Its kind of a What If story.What If Superman was raised by government.Maybe not the most original plot but JMS makes it work.After he left the title decayed fast I have to say.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Speaking of Squadron Supreme, there's a CBR article saying that in the new Squadron Supreme series, Namor apparently bites the big one. To quote...

QuoteAlex Ross's cover to "Squadron Supreme" #2, released back in September, depicted Squadron member Hyperion holding Namor's severed head

Yeeeeeeeeah. Think I'll take a pass on that one.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-reveals-major-character-death-in-squadron-supreme-1
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

And covers always depict something that happens in the issue?Right...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

New Avengers #3-this story actually makes more sense.Thou the artwork is still wrong.I liked the interaction between Songbird and Hawkeye however short it was.
Vader Down is off to an explosive start,cant wait to see more. :)
On the Namor cover,its probably just a gimmick.Btw Marvel recently got the rights to Namor back,so I dont see why they would want to kill him?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on November 18, 2015, 05:29:37 PM
On the Namor cover,its probably just a gimmick.Btw Marvel recently got the rights to Namor back,so I dont see why they would want to kill him?

That's what I would have thought, if I hadn't read the article. According to the article, Marvel has stated that they are in fact killing off Namor, with the writer responsible, James Robinson, talking about how Namor has gone off the deep end, and that he believes "...people should pay for what they do.'

EDIT: Frick it, here's an excerpt:

QuoteAs revealed Monday on ComicBook.com, "Squadron Supreme" #1, from writer James Robinson and artist Leonard Kirk and scheduled for release in December, will see the team killing off Namor, one of Marvel's longest-running superhero characters, due to the Sub-Mariner destroying Doctor Spectrum's world. Of course, death in superhero comics is never permanent -- or rarely even lasts this long -- but it looks like Marvel and Robinson are looking for this one to have an impact.

"It is bittersweet, but I think that people have to pay for what they do," Robinson said. "I think that as you'll see in 'Squadron,' Namor's death will open up a lot of amazing story opportunities which will evolve in the future."
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203