News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Don't be. It wasn't scaring or anything in fact was a learning experience that taught me to allow some elbow room when appreciating the arts. It's possible art school also helped there since I was drawn to a lot of unconventional work, like Francis Bacon for example. The barbs really meant nothing, I'm strong and the type that let's insults slide off my back usually trying not to laugh at how juvenile the person is acting in turn. But wow that place. I know I've mentioned this before but they hired someone to make a wall mural that said " Down With Archies " and after awhile refused to sell the Archies Turtles comics again. Fortunately I took a summer job at a video game rental store and the owner also sold comics and made them available to me. They also had a picture of Stan Lee with a steak cutting knife stuck in the forehead, lol. Other sorts of weird testimonies about like that between the unrealistically busty pin-up girl foldouts from Wizard Magazine of course. More it was their miserable attitudes and towards the craft itself that were off putting and why I didn't want to be around them. That and the pee smell of the shop. I've been to other shops that were more comfortable. The hardware store I mentioned actually ended becoming a comic/RPG station and the biggest in the valley beating out the LCS I grew up. I'm just illuminating though that I believe things are what we make of them and enjoyment is at least partly dictated by how we come into any experience and our subsequent mindset. The paradigm can be changed at the base and seeking anything other than happiness in life strikes me as illogical. Again just my caring and overstated advice, however one chooses to live is of course their right.

I've encountered the Adam West haters, more the ones who hate the old Super Friends cartoon believing it " killed " the DC icons. It of course didn't as the state of these characters proves today. Likewise all those shows ever did was generate mass interest in the characters and solidify them as household names, mileage as you put it. Again another case were the viewer is just channeling.

HarryTrotter

I just think that Inhumans(unlike mutants) should be somewhat low in numbers,since they are a closed society and that kinda makes them unique.Thats my 2 cents about it.
On your second point,some fandoms just hate themselves and thats it.Think comics are bad?Try playing the "wrong" tabletop game. XD
@Silver Shocker About that guy: Thats a pretty common mistake.People usually hold Watchman as the first deconstruction,but Squadron Supreme and Elementals did it before them.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

It's not that hard to grasp Spade. The reason comic books are shifting from the concepts they used to have in the seventies, eighties and nineties is because those concepts where only there in the first place because they were relevant and things people at the time, us aging readers, and wanted to see. It's obviously no longer those eras and most people these days are not recalling those eras fondly as the days of yore nor looking for a media to reignite a sense of nostalgia that doesn't exist for them to begin with. Any industry needs to expand and to do so needs new customers else it sinks and more folds in much as many small to big name companies have done in the past decade (Marvel obviously, primary reason for the sale to Disney was it was projected that Marvel had reached it's apex and could no longer grow thus needing someone elses resources to tap). The things of current interest to people as you can clearly see by being online are human rights interests and equality, largely in the way of gender roles and lifestyle choices. As well of course terrorism and counter-terrorism, green party dichotomies like fracking and the effect of various energy emissions on everything around and a new branding of technology and design materials (cellphones and internet always featured prominently in comic books now, best example).

The times change whether anyone wishes they didn't or not, it's a matter of having an open mind and accepting change, going with the flow. There simply is no fault in the way they're doing and changing things now no more than there ever was. The 80's and 90's comics for that matter weren't either. Most readers from those eras perceive change from the original now where in contrast readers from the seventies saw the same thing in the 80's and 90's comics and them as flawed. The flaw of course is actually in human perception though and ignoring chronos, that is seeing 4th dimensionally.  The New 52 was easily the standard of this. Many readers of the previous form of DC saw it as the artistic shift it was but clung to the notion that it no longer was what it used to be. Yet readers from the seventies saw that generations Post Crisis and Post-Zero Hour continuities and styles as a broken version of something that didn't need to be fixed.

So again the Inhumans can't be that way because they don't appeal to the consumer the way the are or the way you think they should be. That's fine for you and they could as well stay support characters then but that won't sell Inhuman comics will it? That should be clear by the fact that the Inhumans never were able to hold their own in the first place since they weren't what the majority of readers were looking for. The change is uncomfortable, I get that don't let me imply otherwise but it isn't actually wrong. I don't listen to most new music simply because it doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean it's out of place, doesn't have a market nor isn't dominating sales because the fact is it is. And I wasn't asking for advice on POV Spade, I don't need it as I don't seem to be the one that thinks comics are bad here, I was giving it. Or trying fruitlessly more likely.

At the end of the day you must know that if you can't stomach modern works, or the writing of people like say Bendis your to blame for subjecting yourself to it over and over again and the truth is it isn't bad as much as it doesn't match your own preferences. Just stop reading them and re-read what you actually enjoy. I do it especially with movies and video games and it works fine. The only hole was of course being compelled to keep on top of things but the advent of the internet all but solved that problem. I mean with the amount of TPB's and entire runs you've said you read in the past two months alone you would have spent a fortune, enough to buy a brand new television and maybe then some, so why would you gravitate towards runs by a writer you adamantly loathe?

HarryTrotter

Yes,I know how economy work,thank you.Again just my opinion,but political satire is something I could do without in superhero comics.
I dont hate everything,for the love of God.Right here I mentioned some great works like Skaar,King of Savage Land and Avengers by Hickman.
I dont read THAT much right now,and only Bendis writen book were X-men.I dont enjoy his works thus I avoid them,that all I can say.I took a glance at his GotG,saw I dont like it and DIDNT read it.
Trouble is that you cant really say much about a good story other then: Its great.But a bad story you could tear apart for days.So yeah,we talk a lot more about bad  stories and it all seems a lot more negative then it is.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I beg to differ with exactly 100% of that but what more is to say? As before sorry for interrupting your thread.

HarryTrotter

AoA #4 So Havoks powers dont work on Burner?Thats odd...
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

HarryTrotter

Quote from: detourne_me on September 20, 2015, 07:11:50 AM
Third summers brother?

That seems to be the working theory.Fans pretty much accepted that Burner is Adam-X.We will know in the next issue.
X-tinction agenda is over.There is a bit of a stinger at the end.It would be cool if Havok keept this uniform after the (not)reboot.
I started Hawkeye by Matt Fraction.Its really fun,bro.
-Whats the dogs name?
-"Arrow"...I think we can do better then that. ;)
Jon Farmer

daglob

Me and my arrow... straight up and... never mind.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on September 23, 2015, 08:30:23 PM
Me and my arrow... straight up and... never mind.
Harry Nilsson?

I know some people wont like it but I have to ask: Did anyone else found AXIS dissapointing?It didnt cause the same hate as AvX,it was just kinda dull IMO.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

You bet I did. Me and the guy who runs the comic book store kvetched about the series on a regular basis when it was coming out. I talked about how it wasn't as good as I was expecting from Remender (whose work I really enjoyed from book to book up to that point), and he agreed, but was also really annoyed at him not getting some of the issues shipped to the store, and how poorly it sold for an event book there, causing him to have way too much of it in stock. These days it's Convergence he complains about.

I can't remember if I said anything about it here when it was coming out, but I've always firmly believed that the story suffered for being made into an event book and would have been better off as just an story in Remender's Uncanny Avengers (which is what it started as, anyways). Well, we did get the Inverted characters, which was hit-or-miss (I found both the idea and execution of Kluh lame, though Superior Iron Man is a magnificent d-bag, and Carnage was very entertaining). Wasn't huge on the art either.

Spoiler
Doctor Voodoo being resurrected off screen purely because the plot demanded it was eye-rolling convenient, and makes you wonder why the characters don't just do that whenever they want. I think it might also contradict other stories too (like One More Day, but from what I heard, OMIT already did that anyway)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yeah,Carnage and Hobgoblin were pretty fun to read.And that's one of the few highpoint.Everyone treating Magneto as evil for shooting Red Skull is cringe worthy.
In general inverted villains are entertaining,while inverted heroes are pretty generic in their evil.I didn't like Kluh either.And ofc,heroes end up fighting among themselves.I guess its tradition now,so why not?  :huh:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh yeah, I forgot about Hobgoblin. Axis: Hobgoblin was a fun little miniseries. It reminded me of Saul from Breaking Bad because of the marketing campaign angle.
Haven't read Axis: Carnage. I was strictly commending on him in the main book. I may have to go back and read that mini sometime (still haven't finished Superior Carnage yet).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on September 25, 2015, 03:01:20 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Hobgoblin. Axis: Hobgoblin was a fun little miniseries. It reminded me of Saul from Breaking Bad because of the marketing campaign angle.
Haven't read Axis: Carnage. I was strictly commending on him in the main book. I may have to go back and read that mini sometime (still haven't finished Superior Carnage yet).
Im not for redeeming Carnage and Sabretooth,but "heroic" Carnage was a blast to read.  :thumbup:
Your friendly neighborhood Carnage-man.
Spider-man: Thats just disturbing.AND COPYRIGHTS INFRINGEMENT!  :lol:
Speaking of Spidey,hes moving to San Francisco?
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/spidey-heads-to-san-francisco-in-amazing-spider-ma/1100-153670/
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Ohh man, Marvel is talking about putting out a book based on the 90s X-Men cartoon.  This could actually get me to buy a modern Marvel book, which hasn't happened in...well, when did they stop publishing those Marvel Adventures book?  :P

https://games.yahoo.com/news/92-x-men-coming-different-234700746.html

There's just one thing I don't get; it seems that Marvel is going to make it about the classic show continuity, but they are also shoe-horning in someone named Casandra Nova's students as part of the school.  I don't know or care who that is, and I know nothing about these characters.  I assume that this book is designed to appeal to folks like me, folks who loved the old 'toon, but who aren't interested in modern Marvel continuity.  So, how does it make sense to inject that continuity that presumably doesn't interest your target audience into the book?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

^X-men 92 are already ongoing as part of SW.Its a digital comic and there are 7 issues out.Its fairly decent.Cassandra is a bit better villain then in New X-men,thats all  I can say,really.
P.S. Yes,Marvel Adventures were great. :)
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Interesting, Spade!  I had no idea!  So, do I have to have any background besides the 'toon to follow the series?  If not, I think I'll pick 'em up.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

JeyNyce

Rumor has it that X-men'92 is going to be an ongoing series.  Maybe they will continue from where the cartoon left off
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

@Benton Basicly everything you need to now is explained on the first page.Its easy to catch up.Its part of the Battleworld,but that doesnt play into the story.
Also,if anyone wants a fun series,not continuity heavy: Little Marvel: AvX babies.Seriously,its really good.
And speaking of 90's X-men,X-tinction agenda was solid.
Thats my 2 cents about SW X-men books.There are others,but I cant comment on those.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Haha, that's the same story I just posted.  ^_^
God Bless

HarryTrotter

My bad...
Anyone liked Revolutionary War?Thats was actually a good event.Im really starting to like Marvel UK  characters.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

No worries, I just thought it was funny.  It's still good news.  :)
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Spade on September 26, 2015, 05:57:57 AM
Also,if anyone wants a fun series,not continuity heavy: Little Marvel: AvX babies.Seriously,its really good.

Actually, I'd been meaning to respond to SickAlice's post on AvX Babies from several pages ago for a long time, so now's the best time to do so:

QuoteAvX: I have no interest in Skottie Young and I never have. I actually draw cute cartoons better than he does for one and he's the one that's a professional. For two I do think he is talented and shows it when he challenges himself but he keeps taking the lazy way out and drawing this garbage instead all the while diminishing his real art skills over time. It's fine to cartoon, sure, but even the elders in that field will tell you if you don't continually stretch outside of that single style your overall skills will diminish and your art will lose it's soul. I get even more irked by the fact my bonus covers are constantly dominated by this huey as well my bonus backstories. Does he give Marvel discount? Thank Doom Marvel actually sprung the extra dough to get Ross to the covers for SW instead of that manchild. I may have died from the sheer banality. That also means Howard The Human is a no as well. On a side note what even is that? Isn't the whole appeal of that character supposed to be that he's not human, rather a duck? That would be liking publishing a book about Steve Rogers: Gas Station Attendant. Sounds like a waste of paper and everyone's hard earned moola to me.

I'm glad someone else thinks Scottie Young sucks. I pretty much agree with everything in the above quote. Would never waste my money or time on AvX babies, would probably read every other Marvel and DC superhero comic first.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Its just a fun all-age comic,you cant really expect it to be the next Watchman or anything.Just sayin...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I didn't say it was. I didn't even comment on the writing in any way (though I can safely assume it would be a series of comedic cartoon-like done-in-one stories). I was strictly speaking of the fact that it's built around a artist who's art style is almost completely unappealing to me. Generally I do not buy comics I know in advance I'm not going to enjoy.

As long as I'm responding to slightly older posts, and slightly on-topic, I personally don't agree that the Marvel Adventures line was better than the main comics. I'd read a decent chunk of them on marvel's digital comic service, and while they have some good qualities, I wasn't that impressed with them, the lack of continuity and development held them back, and there was some sub-par art in some issues. It's possible they got better past where I got, but I kinda doubt it.

If you like those, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm just giving my take on the comics in question.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

No problem.I get what your saying.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://sciencefiction.com/2015/09/18/inhumans-killing-off-x-men-new-different-marvels-extraordinary-x-men/

I had (cant really say high) hopes for Jeff Lamires X-men,but then this rolls in.Looks like the first storyline establishes that Terrigen Mists are not only killing mutants but also sterilaze them.
X-men are dead,live long the Inhumans!  <_<
Or in the immortal words of John Constantine: Up yours,Marvel!
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Lame lame lame. I'm starting to get tired of Marvel and Fox's pissing contest, but more than anything else, this is just lazy, redundant (it's just M Day all over again) and restrictive to writers. Sterilized means no characters can have children (then again this is Marvel we're talking about). It also means Marvel's going to need one hell of a retcon or storyline to undo it down the line. This also means we can look forward to some more C-list cannon fodder killings, preventing writers of lower-profile books from using cult favorite or obscure characters and having to jump through hoops if they want to bring anyone back, which I'm truly, truly sick of at this point.

In addition to that, it's all about propping up the Inhumans, who I really don't care about. I don't think I'll ever care about them, except maybe Kamala Khan and Blizzard. And that's supposed to be the trade off for sabotaging one of the all-time best Marvel properties.  :( Count me in as someone whose interest in Lamire's X-Men is hurt because of this.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

This ofc comes after yet another failed negotiation with Fox.Also going thru ANAD list I notice there is no Fantastic Four.At all.[And CM Punk is writing Drax.That I have to see]
There are 2-3 Wolverine titles ,which Im not really interested in.Duggan stays on Deadpool.And Uncanny X-men by Cullen Bun and [drumroll] Greg Land.Im dont know what to expect there.
Jon Farmer

AfghanAnt

Is this really that big of a deal? I mean there will more than half a dozen x-titles on the shelves and they are bringing back a 90s X-Book. This seems more like they are pushing Inhumans to for forefront which isn't a bad idea given how connected everything is with the other Marvel Properties while giving the X-Men their own breathing room. Also given what Fox did to Fantastic Four can you blame Marvel for canceling an already low selling comic?