News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Read Uncanny #1. A few thoughts:

1. Sinister is back. This isn't a spoiler since it happened in the last issue of Uncanny's OTHER run. *sigh*

2. What happened to Colossus's hair? Apparently, I missed something. I assume it's related to Fear Itself as I do recall Colossus taking on a Juggernaut like appearance in teasers.

3.  Hope Summers should NOT be on this team. If she's the "messiah," you'd think Cyclops would keep her OUT of the line of fire as much as possible. Why has that changed?

4. Emma... well, I hope someone can pull a Jean and help her out.

5. Storm... *sigh*

6. Nice to see Psylocke heading her own team and Jubilee/Domino are a part of it. That's a trio of women + Warpath I can get behind.

7. Glad X-man is back in action. I guess the whole summers clan will be around for the Phoenix crap.

8. This has nothing to do with Uncanny, but I now know where the "Kitty is pregnant" rumors came from.

Overall, I liked Jason's X-men book much more than this one. I definitely don't like the personality Sinister has this time around. Maybe they should have spent more time on giving Ms. Sinister something to do. I did approve of the art more so in this book than Aaron's, however, even if it was a little bland/boring.

I think my major problem with this book is that none of the characters on the team appeal to me. Kieron is left with the characters that were oversaturated all through Fraction's run and the X-books in general. Half the team hasn't done anything of interest in years, and that includes Storm and Colossus who have been major background characters since Utopia began. Storm has not been developed ONE BIT since she returned to the X-men. She might as well still be in Africa. Her last X-contribution was in a mini... and an event that was Black Panther related. What does she really have to offer at this point? This is the problem I've had with the X-men for a while now. The writers chose to focus so much on their "leading" X-team that the other characters have become minimalized. They have no one to blame for that but themselves. This will be quite the hurdle for Kieron to overcome. Also, why is it that the Scott/Emma relationship still has no depth? It's been over a decade, right? At some point, writers need to stop treating her as "Jean's replacement" and give Scott and Emma a real bond beyond superficial. I guess it doesn't really matter if they're going to go through with the Namor/Emma stuff, so whatever.
Disappear when you least expe--

The Hitman

2) Colossus is the new avatar of Cyttorak, aka he is the new Juggernaut. Apparently that means he has to be bald.

Podmark

I read Uncanny and I liked it, can't say it wowed me or anything though. I'll give the next issue a try.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on November 04, 2011, 12:38:57 AM
I read Uncanny and I liked it, can't say it wowed me or anything though. I'll give the next issue a try.

Stop being contrary to me. You obviously want our rivalry to respark. Keep it up, Podmark. Keep. It. Up.  :angry:

Silver Shocker

I read Wolverine and the X-Men last week, and I also thought it was a very fun first issue. I'm planning to keep reading it for now. I read Uncanny this issue and I liked it. Not great but decent, and I'll probably give it another issue or two to see if I like it enough to stick around.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

So what's up with you guys not telling me Storm was becoming an official Avenger... under Bendis's pen. It's cool that Storm is finally becoming one after the tease of her becoming one decades ago and her role in Marvel Adventures, but... I don't know how I feel about Bendis writing her.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/15/storm-avengers-nycc2011-bendis-acuna/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

murs47

Just finished reading Fear Itself #7.1 and...

Spoiler
Bucky's death has already been retconed. I'm glad. The death was uneventful and Bucky has become one of my favorite Marvel characters. Looking forward to the new Winter Soldier series.

murs47

Is it me or is the New Ultimate Spider-Man series the greatest thing ever? :wub:

AfghanAnt

Quote from: murs47 on November 09, 2011, 10:29:15 PM
Is it me or is the New Ultimate Spider-Man series the greatest thing ever? :wub:

It is the greatest thing ever, Murs.

deano_ue

so good old norman has combined, the remaining hammer, AIM and hydra into one big super organisation, and is starting off his dark avengers again. some interesting choices

AfghanAnt

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on November 10, 2011, 10:44:34 PM
so good old norman has combined, the remaining hammer, AIM and hydra into one big super organisation, and is starting off his dark avengers again. some interesting choices

I am so confused by all of his choices for "Avengers". They are so random.

Talavar

Out of some perverse masochism I keep reading Avengers books written by Bendis, and a theme he keeps coming back to (and one other writers have used before) is really sticking in my craw - that normal people are sick of/blame superheroes for the deaths & destruction caused by villains.  It's going on in a couple of the Avengers books right now - with Wonder Man & his recruits deciding that the Avengers must be stopped for those reasons, and in the recent Avengers 18 a former SHIELD tech goes to Norman Osbourn and his super group with secrets she's accumulated for basically the same thing.

What bothers me mainly, aside from the crushing pessimism, is how stupid it is.  How many Marvel superheroes have ever saved a city?  The planet?  The universe?  These dumb #$@% who bemoan the existence of superheroes would feel pretty stupid if the universe had been destroyed.  How many exploded cars or buildings are worth a whole universe?  Because I'd imagine it's a lot. 

Some writers have made the argument that supervillainy wouldn't exist without the heroes (Avengers 18 specifically shows Civil War, Secret Invasion, Fear Itself in this light) but it's so easy to disprove.  Take just those 3 events: Civil War, sure, it only happened because of superheroes/villains, and the result was pretty stupid.  Secret Invasion might not have happened exactly without superheroes, but earth would have been conquered by the Skrulls or Kree (or destroyed by either one) long ago, Marvel time.  And Fear Itself was the result of an evil Norse god escaping his captivity - something completely beyond the scope of human civilization.

And finally, I just don't buy the malaise and disinterest Bendis has a lot of normal people show for superheroes.  In the real world, people near worship celebrities and athletes because they pretend to be or resemble something actually heroic.  Someone who makes a living saving bystanders from instant death?  They'd be rock stars.

lugaru

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on November 10, 2011, 10:44:34 PM

I hope he gets his own book rather than be an event villain... I LOVED dark avengers.

murs47

So Fantastic Four #600 came out yesterday at a price of $7.99. Damn was it worth it. One of the most, if not the most, awesome milestone issues ever. Hickman's really weaving a grand tale here.

Previsionary

Quote from: murs47 on November 24, 2011, 06:58:11 PM
So Fantastic Four #600 came out yesterday at a price of $7.99. Damn was it worth it. One of the most, if not the most, awesome milestone issues ever. Hickman's really weaving a grand tale here.

For $8, it had better be worth that and more. In fact, it better have taken a good 10+ minutes to read that book plus extras... REAL extras, not the reprint/sketches stuff that Marvel constantly tries to get away with.

Funny thing bout FF #600, Marvel once again spoiled it early that morning which caused some of Marvel's writers/editors/artists to debate spoilers and deaths with some fans. When a company keeps finding itself in the position where its employees have to keep explaining their decisions, then perhaps it needs to ALTER the way it handles some things.

Outcast

So...what's been happening with the Fantastic Four these days? Care to give some spoilers? :)

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on November 25, 2011, 03:59:38 PM
For $8, it had better be worth that and more. In fact, it better have taken a good 10+ minutes to read that book plus extras... REAL extras, not the reprint/sketches stuff that Marvel constantly tries to get away with.

Funny thing bout FF #600, Marvel once again spoiled it early that morning which caused some of Marvel's writers/editors/artists to debate spoilers and deaths with some fans. When a company keeps finding itself in the position where its employees have to keep explaining their decisions, then perhaps it needs to ALTER the way it handles some things.

It was about a 100 pages. All stories written by Hickman, but a different artist for each story. Luckily I wasn't paying attention to the news or anything like that on Wednesday. Just got my issue and read it. Pure awesome.

Quote from: Outcast on November 25, 2011, 05:21:06 PM
So...what's been happening with the Fantastic Four these days? Care to give some spoilers? :)

A lot really. I don't even know where to begin. It reminds me a lot of Kirkman's Invincible. So many plots going on but issue 600 really tied them all together in grand fashion.

Outcast

I passed by our local comic shop today and saw the cover. It's been a while....so i was surprised to see the new costumes. :)

Quote from: murs47 on November 25, 2011, 11:33:31 PM
It was about a 100 pages. All stories written by Hickman, but a different artist for each story.

A lot really. I don't even know where to begin. It reminds me a lot of Kirkman's Invincible. So many plots going on but issue 600 really tied them all together in grand fashion.

Hmm...i see what you mean with it having lots of stories and plots. Found this review just recently.
Spoiler
http://www.examiner.com/comic-books-in-tulsa/fantastic-four-reaches-its-600th-issue-milestone

And no wonder the price is higher....100 pages... :mellow:....I've also read that Johnny is back (from the dead?). I'm curious as to how he came back....

Previsionary

Well, Outcast:

Spoiler
Johnny was never confirmed or shown as dead. He was just trapped in another dimension with a gang of bads jumping him while he suddenly forgot how to use his powers effectively. Most of us figured he'd return sooner rather than later in this very thread.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how any of thing has gone with the FF since BEFORE Johnny was removed from the team because I dropped it a long time ago, and Murs replaced me as a frequent buyer. :D

I've glanced through some new books recently (as of two-three weeks ago), and a lot has changed from the time I was reading, and I wasn't all that impressed with many of the decisions/story arcs. I also don't like the Hawkeye/Mockingbird situation, and Hawkeye's "new" costume. :(

Outcast

Quote from: Previsionary on November 26, 2011, 06:06:09 PM
Spoiler
Johnny was never confirmed or shown as dead. He was just trapped in another dimension with a gang of bads jumping him while he suddenly forgot how to use his powers effectively. Most of us figured he'd return sooner rather than later in this very thread.
Good point there... especially the one wherein he suddenly forgot..:P

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how any of thing has gone with the FF since BEFORE Johnny was removed from the team because I dropped it a long time ago, and Murs replaced me as a frequent buyer. :D
That's ok. I have a feeling Murs is preparing a long list of spoilers to fill us in on what's been happening. Or i could just try the ever reliable world wide web. :P

I've glanced through some new books recently (as of two-three weeks ago), and a lot has changed from the time I was reading, and I wasn't all that impressed with many of the decisions/story arcs. I also don't like the Hawkeye/Mockingbird situation, and Hawkeye's "new" costume. :(
I also saw Hawkeye on a comic book cover...i think it was Avenger's Solo. Can't say that i like the costume either, and Hawkeye's a favorite character of mine. I think i still prefer his classic look with the arm bands?
What's happening with the Hawkeye/Mockingbird situation? Don't tell me they are fighting again? :doh:

murs47

QuoteGood point there... especially the one wherein he suddenly forgot.

Spoiler
He goes nova twice after the door shuts. Plus, they capture him in that mob mess.

QuoteThat's ok. I have a feeling Murs is preparing a long list of spoilers to fill us in on what's been happening. Or i could just try the ever reliable world wide web.

Lol sorry Mr. Cast, the world wide is more reliable.

QuoteWhat's happening with the Hawkeye/Mockingbird situation?

Spoiler
Hawkeye and Spider-Woman are now dating.

Outcast

Quote from: murs47 on November 27, 2011, 04:16:15 PM
QuoteGood point there... especially the one wherein he suddenly forgot.
Spoiler
He goes nova twice after the door shuts. Plus, they capture him in that mob mess.
Well, that explain things a lot better... :wacko:... though last i knew of the Human Torch's powers was that he could only go Nova once and he'll become extremely weak after that or faint even? But that was a loooooong time ago. And if his Nova range didn't cover/reach/burn the whole mob...then he could be captured...

Quote from: murs47 on November 27, 2011, 04:16:15 PM
QuoteWhat's happening with the Hawkeye/Mockingbird situation?
Spoiler
Hawkeye and Spider-Woman are now dating.
Well....Spider-Woman is quite a babe. But...but....what about Mockingbird? How did all this happen? :blink:

lugaru

Dont know if anyone is reading Punisher Max but I highly recommend it... Also because...

Spoiler
I think everyone is going to die... Frank Castle, The Kingpin, Elektra, etc. I think he is taking advantage that it is Max to go 100% out of continuity, which is a rare treat in this day and age. Also the story has been great, good art and Aaron is great at giving everyone a voice. 

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Outcast on November 27, 2011, 02:46:10 PM
I also saw Hawkeye on a comic book cover...i think it was Avenger's Solo. Can't say that i like the costume either, and Hawkeye's a favorite character of mine. I think i still prefer his classic look with the arm bands?

The costume Hawkeye's wearing in Avengers Solo, including on the covers, IIRC, is the one he's been wearing since the Heroic Age branding began.

http://marvel.wikia.com/File:1238846-1147879_1116841_iamanavenger_avengers_04_super.jpg

This is his new costume; I'm not sure if it's debuted yet or not:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/201202/SECAVN2010022_cov.jpg
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Xenolith

Is Marvel throwing stuff against the wall since they are going to "reboot" their universe next year?   

murs47

Marvel's re-booting their universe?

Outcast

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 29, 2011, 03:37:22 AM
The costume Hawkeye's wearing in Avengers Solo, including on the covers, IIRC, is the one he's been wearing since the Heroic Age branding began.

http://marvel.wikia.com/File:1238846-1147879_1116841_iamanavenger_avengers_04_super.jpg
Yeah, that's the one (the one that i can't say that i like that much). I thought the Heroic Age costume was still the latest of Hawkeye's costumes. I guess i was wrong. :doh:

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 29, 2011, 03:37:22 AM
This is his new costume; I'm not sure if it's debuted yet or not:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/201202/SECAVN2010022_cov.jpg
I get the feeling that they made this Hawkeye's new costume, so that fans can appreciate him more in the upcoming Avengers movie. But it looks alright i guess. I think Clint's a little more confident and sure of himself now. Enough to go like Steve Rogers (by not wearing a mask anymore?). Well, he's always been kind of reckless and doesn't mind showing his true identity..(well, in some comic issues i've read that is... :unsure:)...add the super registration act event...makes sense i guess. :blink:

And further internet investigations on this Hawkeye and Spider-Woman situation led me to this old but funny video.
Spoiler

Edited to add: Marvel is going like DC's new 52? :o

Xenolith

There was a little promotional poster at my comic shop that seemed to promise "the new Marvel universe" in 2012.  I just assumed they were copying DC and rebooting.  I don't really know for sure.

You know, I may be misunderstanding the "Point One" promotions.  http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2011-11-09/Point-One-teases-a-new-year-of-Marvel-Comics/51133222/1

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Xenolith on November 29, 2011, 06:31:52 PM
There was a little promotional poster at my comic shop that seemed to promise "the new Marvel universe" in 2012.  I just assumed they were copying DC and rebooting.  I don't really know for sure.

True or not, my first thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdn4YBwIPo
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

AfghanAnt

Uhmmm Marvel isn't planning a 52 event. If you are referring to Point One that is just an interwoven story line - just like every event Marvel does now.