Spoiler

rip ares

I like fury in this scene

daken gets toasted

.cbr anyone...

do u still need it?

murs47

Quote from: thanoson on February 14, 2010, 07:44:30 PM
Wasn't SW the leader of Force Works? That was a espionage team I thought.

Yep. She lead it. Wonder Man, USAgent, Iron Man, and Spider-Woman ironed out the rest of the team.

Hmmm...makes me wonder if that generic silhouette teaser is Simon.

herodad1

guys, i may be really missing something here but in the series where a group of superhumans are attacking asgard and thor, wouldnt that be a nearly hopeless battle? even the weakest asgardian is superhuman.an ordinary asg. can lift/press from 20-35 tons. plus they are trained to be warriors from birth and have been arounds for centuries.i guess they dont consider these things when they throw a big story together.

BentonGrey

Quote from: herodad1 on February 15, 2010, 06:45:41 PM
guys, i may be really missing something here but in the series where a group of superhumans are attacking asgard and thor, wouldnt that be a nearly hopeless battle? even the weakest asgardian is superhuman.an ordinary asg. can lift/press from 20-35 tons. plus they are trained to be warriors from birth and have been arounds for centuries.i guess they dont consider these things when they throw a big story together.

I don't know anything about the story under discussion, of course, but an assault upon Asgard isn't necessarily a hopeless gesture.  It would depend on how many supers you had and whether or not any of the other races (giants?) were behind them.  It is something that has some precedent.  However, your average team of 6-12 characters would get slaughtered.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Previsionary

It's not just 6-12 supers, it's a whole community of villains (and some heroes) from different power levels, some with power upgrades at that, attacking Asgard. Let's keep in mind that Thor is no longer their leader and that they just recovered from a particularly hard hit after Dr. Doom tricked, killed, and experimented on many of their members. They're not at a high point right now.

Regardless, this is a Bendis event. Don't expect super plotting and logic... just long "clever" dialogue scenes, fights and shots that may or may not be completed in one book, and "awesome" cliffhangers and action events. Also expect several things to not fit previous continuity because Bendis has issues with stuff like that (EX: see how he writes Thunderball in comparison to other writers who remember he has a PhD.).
Disappear when you least expe--

deano_ue

Quote from: Previsionary on February 14, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Prince-of-Power-Pak-Ven-Lente-Brown-100211.html  <--- that explains all I know about the Herc/Amadeus shake up. My heart! *grasps it*

gee that looks all so familiar

steamteck

Quote from: herodad1 on February 15, 2010, 06:45:41 PM

Wouldn't it be really cool to watch them be as dangerous as they're should  be. Most supers should seem like incompetent clods skill-wise vs them.  However, battle skill tends to be ignored unless its the character's primary ability.

Previsionary

The Astonishing line expands featuring Jason Aaron!

QuoteThe industry's top creators join forces with the world's most popular super heroes to launch the all-new Astonishing line of comics!

Pioneered to be the books for both the casual and hardcore fans, this new imprint kicks off with two can't miss series: ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN/WOLVERINE by superstars Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert, and the series that started it all back for a bold new era, ASTONISHING X-MEN #1 by the duo of Warren Ellis and Kaare Andrews.

Here's how Astonishing works: set firmly in the Marvel Universe and providing the perfect starting point for all readers, new or old, these books will tell the most epic stories of heroic action set against the back drop of the real world. New readers will be able to jump right into these epic adventures, while die-hard Marvel fans will also find exciting insights and dramatic changes for Marvel's most prestigious characters.

I have to question why Astonishing X-men is going back to #1 when it's only in the 30s... and why Storm is wearing what she is, but I'm excited for more Jason Aaron Wolverine goodness.

tommyboy

lol @ "house of ideas" = wolverine/spiderman.

Previsionary

Don't act like that's not a new idea, Tommy. It hasn't been done this year at all! So there.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on February 16, 2010, 12:24:20 AM
I have to question why Astonishing X-men is going back to #1 when it's only in the 30s...

Because they've finally accepted that it can't keep an ongoing schedule. It's a mini now.
I find the new Astonishing costumes interesting, I'd like to see more. I hope they aren't going to be the new regular costumes, but they might be neat in an isolated mini.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Blkcasanova247

Punk Rock Storm returns! :thumbup: Color me excited! :D Joss and John did a fantastic job making "Astonishing" one of the best books on the market...Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchi however really did some damage to that title (Ghost Boxes...Uugh! :thumbdown:) IMO. I for one am not a fan of Ellis' work in particular on THIS book and I'm not looking forward to him continuing...Kaare Andrews however I love his style. The uniforms are like street clothes which I don't mind (the New X-Men all black & gold look I dug) but theres nothing that grabs me so much about these...except for Storms hair. :thumbup: I hope that there'll be more to these looks like jackets or emblems or some sort other embelishment. And yet one more Wolverine title/one-shot that I'll not be picking up...but dammit...Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert are doing it...I'm torn. :wacko: Why couldn't that have been the team for Astonishing X-Men?
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

lugaru

The astonishing line sounds like the Marvel Knights line. I wish they did pure 1 issue stories, thwt would be great for both old and new readers as they promised.

Previsionary

Murs, this is for you.

How do you feel, loco chico?

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on February 16, 2010, 08:06:09 AM
How do you feel, loco chico?

Semi-excited. I remember Duane Swofhdgdghfdgpidksi doing a better job with Deadpool than Way during Messiah War. That must count for something, not sure what though.

Who am I kidding? I'll be buying this. Seeing the two back together brings back fond memories.

Previsionary

Psylocke 4 issue mini-series (3.5):
Writer: Chris Yost
Artist: Harvey Tolibao

Psylocke is a character that has a lot of baggage to her name, and this is before we even get to the stuff that came after Claremont revived her during his latest Uncanny run. She’s had her powers redefined, her original body has had its face burned off, and she’s constantly used by Fraction as a walking psychic flashlight. What is it about this character that the current writers (excluding Carey) find so difficult to connect with? I’ve no real idea because her history isn’t playing a big part in any of the X-stories right now, but even though she’s all over the place, she’s usually not doing anything of importance. Enter Chris Yost and his Psylocke mini that he specifically stated would define what Psylocke can currently do with her powers. Did Chris Yost make a hit or another miss in a long line of failures for our purple haired psychic? Check it:

Spoiler
The idea behind this series is that Psylocke has been feeling a little empty since she’s returned from death (her stint as an Exile member is completely ignored, if you’re wondering.); and after that messy Uncanny storyline which told of her homecoming to the X-men, she needed to (re-)bury her old body (now Kwannon) after it was exhumed. Heading to Japan with Wolverine mysteriously in tow, Psylocke realizes that she’s lost her connection to her original body, and over the course of the series, realizes that she’s lost herself. You would think that heading to Japan to bury a body would be simple, but nothing is ever easy for this purple haired mutant.

Upon her arrival, Psylocke is instantly attacked by “The Hand” ninjas, who kidnap Kwannon’s body and set it ablaze. Pushed into a rage, Psylocke goes after the person that did this to her, Matsu’o Tsurayaba. After a series of battle with Yukio and another assassin with fire based abilities named Jinn, Psylocke discovers the real reason behind Matsu’o’s plan and why he has been antagonizing her; he wants to die and escape the wrath of Wolverine.

As I said before, the art reminds me of Aeon Flux with a little manga flavor thrown in. Overall, I thought it worked fantastically, especially for the close up shots of Psylocke and Matsu’o, but sometimes I found it to be a little rough and difficult to make out what was going on exactly during the fight scenes. The coloring really brought this book to life, and I’m speaking specifically of some of the scenes that involved Psylocke showing off her psychic abilities or Jinn throwing around his fire streams. It just really popped without being overwhelming or gaudy.

Writing wise, this is the strongest I’ve seen Psylocke written in years, as unfortunate as they may be to say. She definitely found her voice again and Yost really propped her up as a force to be reckoned with. She stood her ground against several ninjas, Yukio, and Wolverine throughout the series and actually used both her psychic katana and knife. It’s nice to see her butterfly effect back in use, and I can only hope a writer eventually brings back her precognitions to help diversify her even further from the psychics still in the MU. The only issue I had writing wise with this series is that Wolverine and Psylocke’s relationship wasn’t utilized as much as I had hoped and Wolverine’s reason for being in the series wasn’t as strong as I wanted it to be, but there was a revelation or two that I hope is followed up on during or after “Second Coming.” Also, I liked that Yost used Mercury as a sort of bridge to the lesson Psylocke was learning. I think those two could make quite the interesting mentor/student pair if given the chance to interact more often. My overall rating for this series is a 3.5. This is an obvious grab for Psylocke fans, but it probably won’t hold water for those not into the character. On the plus side, it’s new-reader friendly and you don’t have to have a degree in Psylocke to appreciate the story.

So, any other reviews this week? perhaps one of you read Doomwar #1?

Xenolith

I think I've finally hit old age.  I don't care about any of this crud anymore.   :P

-goes back to rereading Showcase Presents and Essential reprints-

steamteck

Quote from: Xenolith on February 18, 2010, 06:25:32 PM
I think I've finally hit old age.  I don't care about any of this crud anymore.   :P

Welcome to our order. Problem is all my kids including the 20 year just want to read those also

BentonGrey

Quote from: steamteck on February 18, 2010, 07:15:23 PM

Welcome to our order. Problem is all my kids including the 20 year just want to read those also

Welcome aboard! ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 18, 2010, 08:10:45 PM
Quote from: steamteck on February 18, 2010, 07:15:23 PM

Welcome aboard! ;)

Ditto.

Previsionary

Haha! As much fun as it is to see you guys reaffirm your positions with current comics (again), this is a Marvel review/discussion thread, not a "abandon all hope ye who enter!" thread. I already expend enough energy in trying to keep the thread afloat; I don't need irrelevant negativity making it that much harder. Consider that for next time, please.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on February 19, 2010, 09:52:39 PM
Haha! As much fun as it is to see you guys reaffirm your positions with current comics (again), this is a Marvel review/discussion thread, not a "abandon all hope ye who enter!" thread. I already expend enough energy in trying to keep the thread afloat; I don't need irrelevant negativity making it that much harder. Consider that for next time, please.

Hey, we were encouraging someone.  That's not negative at all! :P
God Bless

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 19, 2010, 10:32:37 PM

Pffft... I'll encourage your face off! No one listens to you... you like a man that smells like dead fish. Even Namor knows to take a shower.

In other news, I'll try to review something else since no one else has. *looks at Pod, Murs, and AA* ^^

murs47

Word.

Quote from: Previsionary on February 19, 2010, 10:50:50 PM
In other news, I'll try to review something else since no one else has. *looks at Pod, Murs, and AA* ^^

I don't know what to review. :(

BentonGrey

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 19, 2010, 10:32:37 PM

Pffft... I'll encourage your face off! No one listens to you... you like a man that smells like dead fish. Even Namor knows to take a shower.

Like Namor showers!  Don't be silly.
God Bless

Previsionary

<Murs> Doomwar!

<Benton> He does and has several times, actually.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on February 19, 2010, 11:55:25 PM
<Murs> Doomwar!

It's........odd that you can state that with such certainty.....
God Bless

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 20, 2010, 12:22:12 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on February 19, 2010, 11:55:25 PM
<Murs> Doomwar!

It's........odd that you can state that with such certainty.....

What's odd is that you keep several Aqua-facts in your "tiny" brain and pull them out whenever necessary... and pics to go along with it! With Namor, it's just that he has been shown showering (X-men: The List) or, at the very least, had water poured on him (Human Torch during Namor's amnesia days). Sorry, not all fish people carry around the unfortunate scent of dead, raw meat. Imagine the stench during a hot day, BG!

*reason #402 as to why Aquaman was kicked from the League :P*

Podmark

Ouch I've been called out. Better review something...

I read this week's Spider-Man.
Spoiler

It's about Spidey and Black Cat sneaking into Mr. Negative's base to switch Spider-Man's blood out with pig's blood so that Negative can't make the Spidey specific poison gas anymore. Spidey stands in as a distraction and faces Mr. Negative and we find out Negative's true level of super strength is enough to send him across the block and punch him through a building.

I liked this issue. Mr. Negative's probably my favorite current Spidey villain, and there was a couple of good subplots in this one. Michael Lark does the art and it's pretty good. I give it a 4/5.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Doomwar #1

If you haven't been reading Black Panther since its re-launch here's a brief re-cap:
Spoiler
T'Challa is presumed missing and dead at the beginning of the series. His sister, Shuri, earns the right to become the new Black Panther through rigorous trial. A coup takes effect and Wakanda is under the leadership of a extreme group known as the Disturi. Their strings are pulled by Dr. Doom. This all happens in 12 issues.

Onto the "event"
Spoiler
First off, kudos to Marvel for not forcing this event in our faces and instead, having it organically flow from the Black Panther series. It honestly felt like a continuation of the series rather than having that "distant relative" feeling most events do.

The focal points of the issue concentrated on T'Challa revealing how Doom was able to get the Disturi into power; Storms arrest, trial, and verdict(guilty) which is decided for her because she was uncooperative according the judge. Also, T'Challa visits Utopia in attempt to gain allies(X-Men). The final pages end with the Black Panthers returning to Wakanda with Shuri displaying how serious she takes her role as the new Black Panther(which is effin awesome!).

Was the issue the greatest thing since the invention of toilet paper? No, but it was quality story telling.
Using the standard Prev-O-Meter: 3.5 out of 5

"How's my Reviewing?"
Dial 1-800-047-MURS and let us know!