News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on February 05, 2010, 05:21:25 PM
What? But you loved him not even a week ago! (spoiler) will be fine. Gods don't really die off. When "Olympus" (God event) is over, I'm sure (spoiler) will return to give Hercules a familial rival.

Though, I find it funny. Sentry has been punked by EVERYONE from the Young Avengers to a playful Hercules. The first time he actually does something, it's on someone who has an out to return. Color me unimpressed.

I liked him until he killed something I loved.

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 05, 2010, 05:56:25 PM

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 05, 2010, 05:13:13 PM
Spoiler
BUT HE WAS RIPPED IN HALF BY THAT JEBUS MONSTER! I HATE SENTRY! RAGE!

BAH! What does death mean to a "GOD". Thor and the Asgardians died...they got better...Zues died...he got better. It's only a matter of time. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

murs47

I don't know if he's coming back. In his heart to heart with Nick Fury in Secret Warriors he gave the impression that he and Phobos could be killed. Of course, this is comics and anything is possible.

deano_ue

god damn it i want to read this

Blkcasanova247

When do they plan on reshipping the comics?

deano_ue

next week, turns out a lot of marvel comics got hit. invincible iron man was another

Previsionary

It’s been almost two months since my last semi-review, so I’ll try to kick it back up, starting with:

Cable #23 (2):

Spoiler
Hope (17) and Cable (now 17 years older than whatever he was) are in the year 2044 where a bunch of men wearing garbs demands that the duo pay a toll or they will be attacked. Refusing to surrender, Hope and Cable run for safety, but Nathan doesn’t escape being shot a few times. As the two hide behind a conveniently placed wall, Cable passes out (Invisible Girl Syndrome; yes, he developed it), and Hope is forced to defend them both with her increasing cunningness.

As Hope makes quick work of the men, she offers the last man standing an offer he shouldn’t refuse. He obviously does, and as a price, he has a bullet put through his head by a mysterious blonde woman known as Sophie, a friend of Cable’s. As Hope and Cable go off with her, Bishop finally emerges from the lake (or whatever body of water it was, I forget) Hope tricked him into. The garbed men find and prepare to kill him until one of the them recognizes Bishop as their previous leader that had disappeared (Issue 5). Bishop resumes his role and demands that the men bring him all their weapons.

As is the won’t with this series, Bishop makes quick work of finding Cable and Hope and chases them down in a truck. Of course, Hope and Cable also have their own jeep and they head into a park. They crash, time jump again. The book ends with Sophie dying and Cable and Hope being even closer to present day Marvel than they were before.

Whatever I said about the majority of this series still remains in play. The art was nice to look at, and there was some movement, but this book will continue to be slow and over-padded until its ending next issue. It’s amazing, really. Originally, I thought this book would serve a major purpose for the X-men, and it turned out I, and many other fans, were wrong. It’s like the road runner cartoons without the humor and zany violence. The only thing that came out of this series is the growth and MINOR development of Hope into a super warrior. This issue, she showed off PHYSICAL skills she obviously shouldn’t have and managed to out-smart and beat up a whole gang of men while Cable lie unconscious behind a wall. I’ll assume she hasn’t tinkered with her telekinetic powers anymore. Also, Bishop did his same ol’ dance again and managed to kill a very unimportant character. I’m not sure where this idea went wrong, but I know I’ll never be able to look at Cable or Bishop the same again. What… a low point.
Disappear when you least expe--

marhawkman

Actually didn't they heavily hint at Alexander having "killed" Ares after his powers first emerged?

Zippo

Spoiler
Holy moley, Thor frying Daken to a crisp in one hit was almost too satisfying.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: marhawkman on February 08, 2010, 09:09:23 AM
Actually didn't they heavily hint at Alexander having "killed" Ares after his powers first emerged?

Uhmmm what?

murs47

Alexander has killed Ares with the sword, "Grasscutter."

Podmark

Marvel released today that there will be a Secret Avengers title by Brubaker and Deodato, I'm assuming this replaces Dark Avengers. That goes along with Bendis and Romita Jr's Avengers title, so we're still waiting for Slott and Gage's titles.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 05, 2010, 05:56:25 PM
Quote from: Previsionary on February 05, 2010, 05:21:25 PM
What? But you loved him not even a week ago! (spoiler) will be fine. Gods don't really die off. When "Olympus" (God event) is over, I'm sure (spoiler) will return to give Hercules a familial rival.

Though, I find it funny. Sentry has been punked by EVERYONE from the Young Avengers to a playful Hercules. The first time he actually does something, it's on someone who has an out to return. Color me unimpressed.

I'm sure Ares will be OK, but it is a bad time to wear a skull on your chest (see Punisher).

murs47

Well that is just great news. Brubaker on an Avengers title? Music to my ears. I wonder if it's going to actually be called Secret Avengers. If so, will it have some strong connection to Secret Warriors.

Who do you that is on the cover? I'm guessing Mac Gargan.

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on February 09, 2010, 04:44:42 AM
Well that is just great news. Brubaker on an Avengers title? Music to my ears. I wonder if it's going to actually be called Secret Avengers. If so, will it have some strong connection to Secret Warriors.

Who do you that is on the cover? I'm guessing Mac Gargan.

My first thought was Spider-Man, or maybe Daredevil.

I'm wondering if this might be the X-Force of Avengers. I heard some speculation that Dark Avengers would become that after Dark Reign a while back, but it wasn't based on anything real.

I do fear that Brubaker's Avengers might end up like his Uncanny. So I hope this book is tuned to his strengths.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

I hope it is Gargan, it looked like the Lizard to me which makes no sense.

marhawkman

Lizard + symbiote....  Hmm.. :)

deano_ue

murs47

New Thunderbolts team post Siege will be lead by...

Spoiler
Luke Cage :o

Revealed roster so far is:
Juggernaut
Moonstone
Ghost
Crossbones
Man-Thing

New Secret Avengers teaser too. I have no clue who that could be. Some one that has a cape and long finger nails. Ultimate Green Goblin? Spawn? Etrigan? Hmmmm. Black Panther? That would be cool.

EDIT: Here's the link UE
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Secret-Avengers-Marvel-100208.html

Previsionary

Wait...

Spoiler
has the premise of Thunderbolts changed or are they trying to make Juggernaut a good guy again? It hasn't even been a year since they made him "evil" with an actual in universe "reason" for doing so. Heck, he hasn't really done much of anything except get beaten up by the Hulk crew.

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on February 09, 2010, 09:23:17 PM
Wait...

Spoiler
has the premise of Thunderbolts changed or are they trying to make Juggernaut a good guy again? It hasn't even been a year since they made him "evil" with an actual in universe "reason" for doing so. Heck, he hasn't really done much of anything except get beaten up by the Hulk crew.

Yes, read the interview with Jeff Parker at Newsarama.com

murs47

Bucky will remain as Captain America post-Siege. And a villain makes his return:
Spoiler

This is pretty good news.

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: Previsionary on February 09, 2010, 09:23:17 PM
Wait...

Spoiler

Actually to me it seems like they're going back to a concept that worked really well when Hawkeye was leader...even criminals get a second chance to do some good...get some "redemption". With that said this has got to be one of the most odd ball teams ever. :wacko: :blink: They had me at Jeff Parker as writer but then showed me the door with Kev Walker as penciller. :P

Podmark

Urge to kill rising!
Zemo as a straight villain again is not cool. You probably just lost me Brubaker.

I think the guy in the new Secret Avengers ad is the Hood.

Prev Juggernaut has really just been in limbo for the last year or so. Whether or not he was good or evil again was pretty vague from what I've read. I got no problem with someone picking him up and using him.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Actually, Juggernaut was last used 2 months ago in Pak's Incredible Hulk (#601-602), and his in-universe reason for going "evil" again was because the cyttorak demanded he do so or continue to lose his powers.

Anyway, why don't you want Zemo as a straight villain? I'm sure there's more to the story than that.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on February 10, 2010, 01:22:41 AM
Actually, Juggernaut was last used 2 months ago in Pak's Incredible Hulk (#601-602), and his in-universe reason for going "evil" again was because the cyttorak demanded he do so or continue to lose his powers.

Anyway, why don't you want Zemo as a straight villain? I'm sure there's more to the story than that.

Hadn't heard about the Hulk appearance.

Having read all of Thunderbolts and the Zemo mini I think it would be a vast injustice to all the work that was put into Zemo over that time. Zemo was a character who was a good guy - kind of. He was quite complicated and I often thought of it as trying to save the world because it was what he wanted - not necessarily for the greater good. I really enjoyed that portrayal of Zemo.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

ok all the new thunderbolts i can understand except crossbones. seriously the guy who shot and "killed" steve rogers is going to be on the same team as luke cage. i know the concept of thunderbolts but thats just stretching it

huh???

BWPS

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on February 10, 2010, 01:25:57 PM
ok all the new thunderbolts i can understand except crossbones. seriously the guy who shot and "killed" steve rogers is going to be on the same team as luke cage. i know the concept of thunderbolts but thats just stretching it

huh???

:O WUT?

First of all, I know I missed some stuff, but Luke Cage on Thunderbolts is ridiculous to begin with but that's semi-believable.
But there is no way in hell he wouldn't kill Crossbones the second he saw him.

That's fing retarded.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

murs47

Ya, I did a double take when I saw Crossbones. Makes no sense at all. Luke Cage leading the team made sense once I read the article. But Crossbones I can't see at all.

Previsionary

Eh, I see Luke Cage in a similar role as Hawkeye when he led that team. Hawkeye was an actual villain at one point though, so eh. But then again, Luke does have his prison background.