News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

won't start on win7

Started by Red Fantom, January 05, 2014, 01:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Fantom

Hello everybody.Today I installed  :ffvstr: in a laptop with win7 but it won't start :thumbdown:.It throws me an error that says:this application can be launched with a release version of win95osr2.1/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/Server 2003 only.I tried to run it in win xp compatibility mode(and the rest) -tried restarting the laptop, tried reinstalling  :ffvstr:  but the same error appears every time i try to start the game.Can somebody help?

vorelliwiseau

Hi! Have you tried changing the compatibility options or FFVTR? Try right-clicking the shortcut icon, then go to Properties, then, from the window that appears, click on the Compatibility tab.

Then, try clicking on the 'Run this program in Compatibility Mode' checkbox, then choose from the options on the drop-down box.

Also, don't forget to click on the 'Disable desktop composition' checkbox on the same window. I'm on Windows 7 too, so try any combination of these choices. Best of luck!

Red Fantom

I tried it..but still it won't start. :banghead:I think I 'll try finding another copy of the game online
just in case theres something wrong with my original copy..Thanks for trying!

Cyber Burn

I'm really not a Tech Guy, but maybe some more information would be able to let someone help you out.

Did you install the game from a Disk?

Did you get it online (Steam or GoG)?

Red Fantom

Well..I installed it from an original disc,a europian version actually,from which I used to play it a couple years ago(until my pc gone boom) on winxp.

Randomdays

try downloading and updating to the 1.3 patch for the game.

Red Fantom

I thought the only patches out there were for  :ff: not  :ffvstr: .I also thought the reason those patches  came out was just to be able to perform in winxp sp3(or something)

stumpy

Quote from: Red Fantom on January 08, 2014, 06:00:50 PMI thought the only patches out there are for  :ff: not  :ffvstr: .also the reason those came out just to be able to perform in winxp sp3(or something).

That's correct. No patch was ever released for FFvT3R.

I don't know much about the European releases of the games. I recall some discussions of them here when FFvT3R was released, and I am pretty sure that the issues related to the StarForce DRM used with those releases. Obviously, those discussions predate Win7, but I suspect that StarForce may be the culprit in your situation as well, since the StarForce installed drivers from so many years ago may not be compatible with Win7 and drivers may not respond well to compatibility mode.

Some possible solutions:
My preference would be to avoid having StarForce on my PC, but the StarForce driver update, assuming it applies to the version used with the European FFvT3R, may save you a few dollars.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg