Arrow (Green Arrow) TV series

Started by Midnite, March 20, 2012, 05:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Silver Shocker

I am too. I've been enjoying it all the way through. I'm looking forward to seeing James Callus (Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica) in an upcoming episode.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Midnite

Enjoying this show a lot, love both Deathstrokes.  :P

Deaths Jester

Well now there's only one Deathstroke...seeing as Wintergreen is now dead!  :P  And was great to finally see Shado appear!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Midnite

Deaths Jester

Yeah..I know, Deadshot being alive again...this should be fun!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

Looking forward to seeing the new and improved Deadshot.

Tomato

finally got around to watching episode 16.

... What the heck took me so long!?!

Edit: Am I the only one noticing a suspicious amount of Doctor Who actors coming into Arrow (as well as the thinly veiled TDK references)?

detourne_me

Yeah, this show is pretty awesome.
It's much better than the comic book, in fact even Lemire's new take on the character seems to be following the show a little.

Podmark

So Arrow's first season just wrapped.
I gotta say I really enjoyed this show - and originally I wasn't even planning to watch it. It is remarkably close to the type of superhero story I've always wanted to write. Fight scenes were great, I really liked the large cast, Oliver's family dynamic, the partnership between him a Diggle, and the island flashbacks never got to the point where I thought they just dragged things down.

A couple points about the finale:
Spoiler

It really would have upped the tension if they had not named Felicity, Roy, and Slade as series regulars over a month before the season finale. All three were in potentially perilous situations during the episode but I knew they'd be fine because of those announcements. They should have been saved for tonight.

Tommy's death really surprised me. I'd read there would be at least one death and I'd figured out my shortlist before hand and he was not on it. He was probably the character I thought was least likely to die. I thought he'd be a mainstay of the series for a while, either going the Lex Luthor route or returning to a friendship role, and to keep the love triangle alive. And of course they'd want to play out the drama of Ollie killing his dad. It just seemed obvious to me.
And of course I was wrong, but in hindsight it makes sense. Despite what I said above I can't actually think of much worthwhile to do with the character. Of course good writers can come up with material, but if it was me I know I'd be struggling to think of something that wasn't overly cliche.

I'm going to miss John Barrowman.

I do have concerns about next season:
-Felcity being a series regular. I think she worked much better in smaller doses. She's essentially been a regular for the last third of the season, but I worry more of her is going to feel off or grate. She doesn't really fit the tone of the series.

-Ollie and Laurel as a couple. So far them together hasn't done much for me.

-Loss of Malcolm Merlin and of Fyers in the Island flashbacks. This is really just being afraid of change. The old villains are (probably) gone, what will the new ones look like? What they do next will dictate the enjoyment of the show, and they didn't leave much of a safety net.

I've read that the creators intend for flashbacks to be part of the show for the entirety of it's run. That's fine, as long as they're interesting.

Looking forward to season 2. Between this and SHIELD there should be some good comics shows on television next season.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Starman

Isn't Barrowman also a regular in Season 2?

Podmark

Quote from: Starman on May 16, 2013, 12:46:16 PM
Isn't Barrowman also a regular in Season 2?

Not that I'm aware of.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

I just saw the season finale too and it wuz good.  I"m not in to the Roy story arch though....at least at this point it's small and doesn't have too much to do with my liking and disliking the show.  The character needs to be tweeked or kicked out. 
革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

To be fair, they've only just started to build him up, and I think the eventual payoff for the character will be worth it.

Midnite

Any thought on the season finale?
Spoiler
I was surprised they killed off Tommy. :(

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Midnite on May 24, 2013, 02:50:54 PM
Any thought on the season finale?
Spoiler
I was surprised they killed off Tommy. :(

Agreed.

Spoiler
I really expected Tommy to follow in his father's footsteps for the second season.

detourne_me

So, did anyone else watch the season 2 premiere?

This is superhero TV done right!
A few thoughts:
Spoiler
Summer Glau? Yes please!  hopefully we'll see her don a costume too.

Dropping the name 'The Hood'?  Great,  and it looks like Green Arrow may become a viable name.

Roy Harper fighting?   Awesome,  I'm glad they are going with a slow burn here.  at first i was worried he would be a part of the gang.

and the big reveal?
Spoiler
Black Canary? really kicking butt, that's great,  I think it's laurel, and she's on a mission to take down GA too.

Glitch Girl

On the Big reveal...
Spoiler
I don't think it's Laurel, but may end up mentoring her.

My ONLY reason for thinking this is that they announced a casting for "Black Canary" that was a different woman.  If this is a ruse on the part of the show's producers, kudos to them.

Had a few logic problems with the episode (like how do Dig and Smoak get off the island afterwards? How did they manage to narrow the search down on the amputee so easily, etc), but I still enjoyed it a lot.  It's nice to see they are playing the long game with Oliver's development as a hero (we now see the start of a code against killing), but they also seem to be pacing it well as well.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Jimaras8

QuoteBlack Canary? really kicking butt, that's great,  I think it's laurel, and she's on a mission to take down GA too.

Totally agree dm although her costume kinda sucked, and i am sorry for the expression. Anyway its good to see a comic character addition in live-action.

Overall it was a decent premiere and i really liked the change in Oliver's crimefighting ways.
Spoiler
However, the whole '' i don't kill anymore to honor Tommy's memory seemed a little forced to me. He acts as the Vigilante for one year and only when tommy dies realizes that we can subdue crimnals without killing them? I little late in my opinion but i can deal with it  :D

I like how the island flashbacks continue. I thought that after
Spoiler
Fyers died
the flashbacks could seize. Fortunately this didn't happen and i really hope that the events that will occur in the island will showcase a little more Oliver's persona.
Spoiler
I also have an objection on Oliver killing the pirate/smuggler/bad guy that carved Shado as it was unnecessary in my opinion. Kinda gives the impression of serial killer and as i portray green arrow he should only kill when he has absolutely no other way. Of course i understand that was Oliver and not Green Arrow but even so the murder seemed a little overkill to me

Podmark

Quote from: Jimaras8 on October 11, 2013, 01:25:02 PM
Overall it was a decent premiere and i really liked the change in Oliver's crimefighting ways.
Spoiler
However, the whole '' i don't kill anymore to honor Tommy's memory seemed a little forced to me. He acts as the Vigilante for one year and only when tommy dies realizes that we can subdue crimnals without killing them? I little late in my opinion but i can deal with it  :D

I think there was more to it than just that. After last season The Hood doesn't have a reason to fight. So to start again as Arrow he needed new inspiration and Tommy provided that.

I really liked the premiere, and Ollie's transition from avenger to hero is off to a very good start.
The one thing that kinda bugged me was how Felicity was at all the meetings. She's still only the IT girl right?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

everyone in the office will think she's boning the boss!

Podmark

Quote from: detourne_me on October 12, 2013, 02:18:47 AM
everyone in the office will think she's boning the boss!

That's what I would think!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Jimaras8

Quoteeveryone in the office will think she's boning the boss!

I would take her over Laurel 11 times out of ten!!!

thalaw2

Hopefully the addition of Summer Glau doesn't mean the show will be ending this season.  I like her but her track record ain't too good. 

I feel that after this first episode that finally the Roy character has more clear direction.  He got showed up bad and now it's time for him to up his game if he wants to be taken seriously by any of the emerging vigilantes.  I really feel the show is making a good transition into a world of people with super powers.  Nothing thrown in yet but it seems to be a nice setup towards that.  I'm consistently impressed by the pacing of this show. 
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

Episode 2 thoughts:
(non-spoilery version: I love it.)
Spoiler

No Summer Glau?  That's OK. We can see her come back later,   the building tension between alderman Blood and Ollie's public face is great.   A nice bit of "the hero Star City deserves" like from the Nolan films.
The best thing about that is the format of 20 hour long episodes a season allows for the politics to be drawn out and discussed.
The second season seems to be a nice step in the evolution of Green Arrow as a hero.

Black Driver? Secret Identities?  Hilarious stuff,and it's unapologetic that this is a show about superheroes. Enlisting Roy Harper finally, too.

Michael Jai White as Bronze Tiger?   AWESOME! I'm really excited that Ollie has an established villain to fight that is actually a pretty great actor and martial artist. Bronze Tiger (and especially Michael Jai White) are more credible threats to Ollie than previous villains like Deadshot and Count Vertigo. He'll be a really good foil until Merlyn comes back, or Crixus finally dons the deathstroke mask.

Podmark

I liked this episode.

Spoiler
Having Ollie try to make amends for the Glades was a good development and of course it had the old hero trope where their normal life is damaged by their hero life. And good to see Roy moving forward. I'd glad they didn't have him beating up thugs directionlessly for multiple episodes.

Season's off to a good start.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Wow. Lots of stuff going on in this one.

Spoiler
Dollmaker was creepy as all heck, Ra's Al Ghul name drop, and the boat Ollie's on is the Amazo.

bat1987

This episode was packed, really liked it. Laurel is still annoying :thumbdown:

Tons of refferences too

Spoiler
Amazo, Tony Daniel (the guy who created dollmaker), Ra's Al Ghul