News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FR: Elements Nomination thread

Started by Tomato, February 13, 2012, 02:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Yes, I am that bored. Anyway, for those who don't keep up with my ramblings, a bit ago I came up with the idea for nominating our own Elements of Harmony for the board members... and in a rather odd way, promote the qualities of our members that are often overlooked: Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, etc.

Here's how this is going to work: Each month, I'm going to describe one of the 6 elements, why it is important, etc. For the next 2 weeks, whoever wishes to participate is free to nominate whoever they wish, describing WHY they made that choice. After that period has ended, I will create a poll including all nominated members for FR to vote on.

There are some simple rules for nominations, however:
No nominating yourself - Don't be Trixie. If you think you're worthy of an Element, then hopefully someone will have noticed
No nominating the same person multiple times - Think about WHY you're nominating someone. Don't just nominate say, Benton, every single time and hope one of the nominations fits: think about what quality your nominee best stand for.
No nominating me - This one kinda pains me, because a part of me wants to be selfish about it and be one of the elements... but if I'm gonna be the judge I have to be impartial. As is, I'm not even going to nominate anyone after this first element, and only this one because I can't personally imagine anyone else earning the title.

Now then, on to the Elements:

Element #1: Laughter.
Represented by Pinkie Pie in "Friendship is Magic," the Element of Laughter isn't just about the member who is the funniest or who can tell the best joke, nor is it about who can make fun of others... it's about one's ability to come into even the most flame-crazy, depressing, or annoying thread and turn it on it's ear. The person who receives this Element should be someone who can make even the most bull-headed of members stop, take a moment, and laugh at their own craziness.

My nomination: Murs47
Putting aside the clear correlation between Pinkie->Deadpool->Murs, I have always been amazed by Murs' ability to come into a thread where everyone's arguing and generally being jerkfaces, and derail the buck out of it. Back when everyone was practically at each others throats due to IPS' return (for those not aware of the situation, IPS took the opportunity of FR being down to try and get away with his antics on ToF... we were not a happy board for a bit) Murs came in and basically trolled every single person in the thread by abusing his mod powers outrageously. By mocking the whole situation, he probably did more then anyone else to put the situation (mostly) behind us... in effect, he made us realize that there was no reason to get upset over such a dead horse. He's probably the only person other then possibly Benton who can make me stop mid-rant and just completely deflate my temper.

In my mind, Murs IS FR's Element of Laughter.

murs47

Surely I thought I'd be FR's Element of Sex Appeal...

ow_tiobe_sb

I nominate Polonium in the Radioactivity category.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

Reepicheep

I nominate Tiobe. He just made me laugh.

These are serious credentials.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on February 13, 2012, 02:21:53 AM
I have always been amazed by Murs' ability to come into a thread where everyone's arguing and generally being jerkfaces, and derail the buck out of it.

Quote from: murs47 on February 13, 2012, 02:30:12 AM
Surely I thought I'd be FR's Element of Sex Appeal...

And there he goes again.

Is it just me or is Friendship is Magic becoming required viewing for this forum?

As for another nominee, boywithpointystick used to give me a chuckle every so often.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on February 13, 2012, 05:32:54 AM
As for another nominee, boywithpointystick used to give me a chuckle every so often.

Oh ya, I nominate him too. He's hilarious!

bearded

i would nimonate ow tiobe sb, but he's already been done. i'm thinking about captain spud, he's a curmudgeon, but instead of taking him serious, i always thought he was a self satirizing joke, everything he said was meant ironically.
but the person that made me roll on the floor, literally, was tommyboy. similar reasons as captain spud, specifically, that time someone was trying to animate their desktop, and claimed it was, he simply said, "no it isn't." i don't know why, that cracked me up. just ask ow tiobe sb. also, his rendition of my avatar background was lengthy and very amusing. he is most ironic. he should write here more often. i nom nom nominate tommyboy.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: bearded on February 13, 2012, 07:31:50 AM
the person that made me roll on the floor, literally, was tommyboy. similar reasons as captain spud, specifically, that time someone was trying to animate their desktop, and claimed it was, he simply said, "no it isn't." i don't know why, that cracked me up. just ask ow tiobe sb. also, his rendition of my avatar background was lengthy and very amusing. he is most ironic. he should write here more often. i nom nom nominate tommyboy.

Seconded.  I would also like to nominate tommyboy for the Noble Gases category, for reasons obvious to anyone who knows him well.

ow_tiobe_sb

BentonGrey

I'm a little fuzzy on why people nominating me for every single element would be a bad idea....

More on point, though, I think Tiobe is a pretty strong contender for this one as well, mostly because of his mastery of the devastating art of the non sequitur. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 15, 2012, 02:28:47 AM
I'm a little fuzzy on why people nominating me for every single element would be a bad idea....

More on point, though, I think Tiobe is a pretty strong contender for this one as well, mostly because of his mastery of the devastating art of the non sequitur.

I'm not saying you necessarily can't be nominated (winning more than one is a different matter, but we'll cross that bridge when we get that far), but it has to be by different people. I just want people to put thought into WHY they're nominating someone for the element... not just "He's a good guy, so NOMINATE FOR ALL THE THINGS" kinda deal.

That said, you were the one Titan who voted against ponies. You'll be lucky if I allow you to be nominated at all.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Tomato on February 15, 2012, 02:49:29 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on February 15, 2012, 02:28:47 AM

I'm not saying you necessarily can't be nominated (winning more than one is a different matter, but we'll cross that bridge when we get that far), but it has to be by different people. I just want people to put thought into WHY they're nominating someone for the element... not just "He's a good guy, so NOMINATE FOR ALL THE THINGS" kinda deal.

That said, you were the one Titan who voted against ponies. You'll be lucky if I allow you to be nominated at all.

Haha, I was totally joking, but your pony nonsense has gone too far!  The ponies must be stopped...soooo...someone needs to get on that.  I'm going to go to bed.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

Benton, the Titans voted fair and square. Pony Domination IS happening, whether you like it or not.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Tomato on February 15, 2012, 02:15:27 PM
Benton, the Titans voted fair and square. Pony Domination IS happening, whether you like it or not.

I would like to take a moment to shed some light on relevant issues that everyone seems hesitant to raise.  Amidst the jetsam lost in the wake of the tide of positive sentiment that Tomato rode into his current position with the Titans, one could find a new avatar minority that has secretly become the target of an orchestrated effort to undermine its status and welfare.  Specifically, I speak of the Chibis, whose current second-class standing offers the missing rationale behind Tomato's political career and voting record.

Spoiler

Chibis: The New Minority

Allow me to elucidate the current strategy for de-funding and disenfranchising the Chibis:

20 September 2011: A mere five days after assuming his office, Tomato meets with high-level representatives of the anti-Chibi PAC Citizens for Reasonable Anatomical Proportions (CRAP) to draft legislation that would compel the Department of Occasional, Forum, and Underwear Safety (DOoFUS) to enforce new regulations governing avatar physique standards in the name of "forum stability."

3 October 2011: The REFLUX Foundation, a tomatative think tank based in Silver Spring, MD, and staffed by former members of INFLUX, receives approval for an unprecedented $1.27 billion grant from the Forum Meanies and Wankers Committee to study the potentially negative effect that chubby avatars have on consumer confidence.

24 October through 4 November 2011: Tomato and other influential Titans successfully filibuster FB 54219, the avatar rights bill sponsored by MikeB7 and more commonly known as "Mikey's Law," by reading the MLP book The World's Biggest Tea Party aloud 3,568 times.  The so-called "tea party" Titans are subsequently contacted by the Guinness Book of World Records for inclusion under "Record for Most Consecutive Readings of a Sickeningly Sweet Story."

5 November 2011: Upon the heels of his recent victory over the avatar rights movement, Tomato launches his "Ponification" campaign, which receives widespread Forum support despite its clearly megalomaniacal, pro-business objectives.

22 November 2011: Just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, Tomato and a slim majority of "tea party" Titans quietly pass an emergency Forum resolution that redefines forum avatar eligibility and limits avatar pictures to "those inspired by intellectual property made in the United States or created by Hasbro."  Later that week, Tomato is photographed enjoying a sumptuous Thanksgiving feast with Brian Goldner and his family and Forum lobbyists Sweet Scoops and Water Lily at the corporate retreat mansion in Pawtucket, RI.

17 January 2012: Following Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a coalition of "tea party" and historically moderate Titans, led by Tomato, propose FB 58008, Aligning New UserS and Forum Allegiances for Cost-Effectiveness (ANUSFACE), a bill ostensibly offered as an effort to improve Forum fiscal and strategic planning practices but which is likely to be implemented as a set of measures to indoctrinate freshman forum members with the virulently anti-Chibi Herd ideology.

Consequently, while we can concede that the Titans may have "voted fair and square," the exchanges of money and political capital before and after that vote remain suspect and should become the subject of an independent Forum investigation.  I, for one, refuse to stand idly by as...wait a tick.  I always stand idly by.  I'm a professional idler.  Nevermind.  Carry on. ^_^

ow_tiobe_sb

Deaths Jester

Mien Gott!!!  Tiobe's correct!  I cannae believe people would let this happen and not even notice it!!!  Down witht he ponies, up with the chibis!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

vamp

Very good detective work, Sir Tiobe, but you have forgot a very important part of political and financial gain.

Assassination. 

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: vamp on February 15, 2012, 07:01:44 PM
Very good detective work, Sir Tiobe, but you have forgot a very important part of political and financial gain.

Assassination.

If the ANUSFACE legislation proves successful, vamp, one day many of us may find ourselves living in an, as you say, Assassination.

ow_tiobe_sb

vamp

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on February 15, 2012, 07:21:37 PM

Assassination.

If the ANUSFACE legislation proves successful, vamp, one day many of us may find ourselves living in an, as you say, Assassination.

ow_tiobe_sb

I bursted out laughing to this.

Unfortunately I am in my Biology class. My professor did not find it as funny.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on February 15, 2012, 07:21:37 PM

Assassination.

ow_tiobe_sb

i will never succumb to ANUSFACE!!!  NEVER!!!  I'll go into hiding before being assassinated!!

Tomato

Not to burst Toibe's bubble, but this is FR, not a government. The Titans don't need underhanded tricks and bills to do what we want, we can just vote on whether or not you need to submit to pony domination and it becomes law. We're honest about our dictatorship.

Case in point:

vamp

...That pic didn't help your cause.  3 of 'em didn't care cuz it was silly, and one of them hates you. Only two votes for it.

Tomato

Yeah... but the vote against was Benton's. that's like, -5 votes.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 16, 2012, 03:01:21 AM

Sounds like we need a new titan to add in, mainly becuase I want to be a titan!  And becuase Benton would've been backed up on this one...which is sad!  Me...agreeing with Benton and Aquadork...so sad!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on February 13, 2012, 02:21:53 AM

My nomination: Murs47
Putting aside the clear correlation between Pinkie->Deadpool->Murs, I have always been amazed by Murs' ability to come into a thread where everyone's arguing and generally being jerkfaces, and derail the buck out of it. Back when everyone was practically at each others throats due to IPS' return (for those not aware of the situation, IPS took the opportunity of FR being down to try and get away with his antics on ToF... we were not a happy board for a bit) Murs came in and basically trolled every single person in the thread by abusing his mod powers outrageously. By mocking the whole situation, he probably did more then anyone else to put the situation (mostly) behind us... in effect, he made us realize that there was no reason to get upset over such a dead horse. He's probably the only person other then possibly Benton who can make me stop mid-rant and just completely deflate my temper.

In my mind, Murs IS FR's Element of Laughter.

That was freaking hilarious, I add my vote for murs too.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 17, 2012, 04:18:22 PM
Quote from: Tomato on February 16, 2012, 03:01:21 AM

Sounds like we need a new titan to add in, mainly becuase I want to be a titan!  And becuase Benton would've been backed up on this one...which is sad!  Me...agreeing with Benton and Aquadork...so sad!

Get used to it DJ, I am always right. 

Wow, I didn't mean to derail this thread so thoroughly.  'Mato, I think this is a really neat idea.  I do, however, point to pretty much everything Tiobe has said in this thread to back up my nomination.
God Bless

Tomato

*shrug* I'm putting off actually making the real poll itself until the first anyway, so for right now... I couldn't care less. My impression is that it's gonna end up between Murs and TPB when we really get started however

*skims thread* As of this moment, the nominees for the Element of Laughter are:

Murs47
ow_tiobe_sb
Boy W/Pointy Stick
tommyboy

and just as a rundown of the remaining elements for those curious:
Generosity
Honesty
Kindness
Loyalty
Friendship/Magic

As of right now, I'm kind of up in the air as to which to go for next. I'm leaning towards Honesty however.

Reepicheep

Tomato

Don't worry Reep. I'm sure you're somepony... FR's Derpy perhaps?

Reepicheep

There is no category possible that describes my awesome.

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 23, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

Not even the awesome category?
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on February 23, 2012, 01:01:58 PM
Quote from: Reepicheep on February 23, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

Not even the awesome category?

No, not even "the awesome category" would adequately address this problem.  'Tis a real challenge to try to nominate someone else for the "My Awesome" category without being confusing or sounding rather conceited.  :unsure:

ow_tiobe_sb