News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Well, if Hawkman is dead for now, then there might be a hunk of Nth metal hanging around, and since Bats is nothing by dark these days... you are probably right, we should be afraid.

HarryTrotter

I have a feeling Hawkman could come back in this event. :unsure:
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

C'mon, anyone who ever died could come back.

If they thought there was money in it (not always a bad thing, but is the reason that, hey, look, there's Wolverine)

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on April 04, 2017, 02:50:30 PM
C'mon, anyone who ever died could come back.

If they thought there was money in it (not always a bad thing, but is the reason that, hey, look, there's Wolverine)
Well,except Jean Grey ironically. :rolleyes:
Thou,this would set a record for the shortest death.But I think Hawkman also died in Justice League Canada,so...
Jon Farmer

daglob

Well, one of their characters is called Resurrection Man...

I thought Jean did come back; that the Phoenix who died was an alien critter. Although, I guess she could have died five or six times since then...

HarryTrotter

You realize this is just going to motivate me to complain how they need to bring Hitman back? :)
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Quote from: The_Baroness on March 31, 2017, 08:03:53 PM

Also, I strongly recommend Stjepan's Sunstone. As someone who has been on that lifestyle for a while, it just read way too true, and the way he gives life to characters and dialogue is a wonderful treat.

Now... I have to keep cleaning my corner here... so much dust and webs still around...

Must agree with Baroness, though would say that you need to be over 18 years old due to the sexual content within.  The story is truly great and heartwarming! Would like to see one of the characters go a little further on the "curve" into what some may consider the "darker" section of the lifestyle but that's just my personal thing.  Was glad he also showed how some become obsessed with climbing the curve and how it can turn bad though..very truthful.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

Hey, look at that; folks are talking about DC Comics! :lol:

I'm several months behind, so take caveat emptor:

I'm avoiding almost all modern mainstream comics because, even when a story is good, it's taking place in a world that I find toxic these days.  Nevertheless, I am reading Aquaman, and I have been incredibly impressed by Dan Abnett's run.  He immediately righted the ship after Cullen Bunn's aggressively mediocre arc, and he has been routinely hitting it out of the park.  When Parker was taken off the book, I honestly didn't see any way I'd be happy with the comic unless he was brought back, and while I'd still like to see him return to the character in the future, I'm in absolutely no hurry now, which is about as high praise as I can give Abnett considering how much I loved Parker's run.  I think Abnett's individual stories aren't necessarily quite as good as Parker's, but he's got a wonderful grasp of the character and the work he's doing on Atlantis and Arthur's supporting cast is some of the best I've ever seen.  I was never really happy with the way Johns portrayed the undersea world, and Abnett is creating something much more wondrous than he did.  It feels like a much more fully realized setting, and the expansion of the supporting cast is definitely necessary.  I said of Parker's run that he was writing some of the best Aquaman comics ever, and that was true.  How wonderful that Abnett is doing the same?  There are weaknesses, like some of the interactions between Aquaman and Superman, but they are greatly overshadowed by the strengths.  I love how Abnett paints the relationship between Arthur and Mera, and I even like how he's using Murk.  By the way, I've probably said this before, but I would read the HECK out of a spinoff series that just explores the adventures of some supporting cast folks, like the Drift or something.  It's a shame that could never survive.  Now, I just want Abnett to go ahead and get the royal couple hitched so we can do away with their not being married, because that still galls me more than I can say.  Anyway, if you're not reading Aquaman and you have any interest in the character, you really should be.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 04, 2017, 10:59:08 PM
Hey, look at that; folks are talking about DC Comics! :lol:
More like people are talking about an S&M webcomic,but to each his own...
Superman #20
Batman doesnt eat pie.  :lol:
For the next Action Comics arc,I have only one thing to say:
Spoiler
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I was ignoring that part, but folks WERE also talking about DC.  :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Deaths Jester

You were ignoring me, Benton?!? Hrmph...

BentonGrey

God Bless

SickAlice

Batman and Bane sure spent a lot of issues growling at and punching each other bloody. Glad that arc is done. Enjoying the Superman family of books a lot, hope they don't break the pace. Wild Storm, Doom Patrol and Shade The Changing Girl are my tops from DC right now.

HarryTrotter

Previews.I do admire the fact they are advertising Dark Days with "Darkness is coming to DC universe".Like everything so far has been ponies and rainbows.
Like,this is really dark,father muckers!
On the brighter side we have Lobo/Roadrunner,Martian Manhunter/Melvin the Martian,Batman/Elmer Fudd,Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam and so on.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Quote from: Spade on April 10, 2017, 07:59:31 AM
I do admire the fact they are advertising Dark Days with "Darkness is coming to DC universe". Like everything so far has been ponies and rainbows.

That's my favorite thing I've read today.  :lol:
God Bless

HarryTrotter

I guess its a better tagline the: Somebody will lose an arm and become impotent. :|
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Are those two seperate people or just one losing an arm and turning impotent? Would be more...ahem...interesting if it was one losing an arm while the other goes impotent in some "action" scene. :-P

HarryTrotter

Roy Harper.Both.Rise of Arsenal.
And yet,thats only half as dumb as  Olivers trial.
Jon Farmer

daglob

I thought he had already lost and arm. Which Earth are we talking about anyway? Y'know, this didn't used to confuse me before they "fixed" it the first time.

HarryTrotter

This is back in '08/'09,so two universes ago.Or 3?Or one?
Im saying that if they really mean to out-dark themselves,it wont be easy.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Maybe they are trying to make the DC Comic Universe the same as the DC Cinematic Universe. In that case, ol' Zod had better watch out.

HarryTrotter

Or it might be another "bad future" event and solicitation writers cant come up with anything good.Not that they ever did.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Roy losing an arm actually was first depicted in an infamous Justice League miniseries you may have heard of called "Cry For Justice". It was then show how exactly he lost his arm (as it was originally something that happened offscreen) in Rise of Arsenal. His daughter also died in Cry for Justice. This version of Roy, the pre-Flashpoint version, got his daughter back during a Convergence tie-in.

As for this Dark Days thing, I can chime in and say I don't think they've marketed it well at all. Other than the creative team, that's its an event comic, and that it features the Joker, I have no flipping idea what this thing is, which is really hurting my interest in it. Which is a shame because the creative team includes Scott Snyder and Greg Capulo, whose Batman I've really enjoyed. This reminds me of how the solicits for Astonishing X-Men straight up wouldn't tell you what the arc or issue was about other than to tell you that this issue is "hot" and you "don't want to miss it". It's like having a comic marketed by J.J. Abrams (don't even think about it, Marvel and DC)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Green Hornet

I think the mystery man thru the Superman titles is the Time Trapper and with the different references to the Legion of Super Heroes. The Emerald Empress reference to Saturn Girl, Cyborg meeting Brainiac 5 in the future.

Silver Shocker

Maybe, but 1) He's been talking about some other important guy (probably Dr. Manhattan) 2) He looks enough like the Time Trapper that the only reason to keep it a surprise is to make people think he's someone else (Ozymandias, besides which, why "Mr Oz" if it's not Ozy) and 3) The Time Trapper has a tradition of being another established character under the robes (such as Superboy Prime in Legion of 3 Worlds) and according to the DC Wiki, Brainiac 5 theorized that he is a "sentient alternate timeline against ours" and that his true history and his identity changes as the DC timeline does (which actually would kinda fit with the trippy developments at the end of the Superman crossover). The brilliant part about it being the Time Trapper is you can then do a second reveal when he takes off his hood and turns out to be some other pre-established character.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Deaths Jester

...so confusing on Roy.

...And such a cop out with the Time guy...

...And why I avoid most of the big two's current comics. Give me Astro City...

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 11, 2017, 02:26:18 PM
why "Mr Oz" if it's not Ozy
Hes Australian?
Surprising how many people are bored with the big two,but never do anything about it.Read 2000ad,you ignorant Yanks.;)
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Quote from: Deaths Jester on April 11, 2017, 03:11:27 PM
...so confusing on Roy.

Exactly.  Astro City is what pretty much all comics should be.
God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 11, 2017, 04:13:06 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on April 11, 2017, 03:11:27 PM
...so confusing on Roy.

Exactly.  Astro City is what pretty much all comics should be.

I haven't read Astro City, but I have read Busiek's Avengers, which IMO is also what all comics should be. The man's a freaking genius, is what he is.

Anyhoo, the only Superhero-ish comic I really read nowadays is Ian Flynn's Sonic the Hedgehog. You laugh, but even though it's based on a videogame character who isn't exactly known for gripping yarns, Flynn's managed to turn the comic into an action-packed tour-de-force with a surprising amount of character and heart. And there are barely any Shocking Twists ™ or big events to be seen, save for the occasional crossover with the Megaman comic. (Also written by Flynn and also awesome.) And when there are Shocking Twists ™, they're surprisingly pretty well done and actually freaking matter. But at its' heart, it's just pure fun, and one of the most enjoyable modern comics I've read in a while. (And has been for the last 11 years.)

And he's also apparently written some issues for IDW's TMNT, which I've heard nothing but good things about. So that has to count for something.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

If you wanted confusing,I could recount the trial in Fall of Green Arrow.
And I dont was to sound like a hipster,but you guys kinda have limited tastes in comics.
Jon Farmer