News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebean

Quote from: Silver Shocker on August 29, 2016, 09:42:09 PM
So I'm a little late in bringing this up, but that cliffhanger in Action Comics that made it seem like "Mr. Oz" was actually going to do something in the plot? Kinda a letdown. He does more in the issue than he has up to this point (which was to say, nothing) but still not much to talk about. Issue was still fun, current arc is over so the next one will focus on stuff that got downplayed in this arc to focus on fighting Doomsday, so I'm looking forward to that.
I'm just excited that they're finally hopefully gonna answer who this new "Clark Kent" is, because that's the only plot thread that's keeping me interested in the book. I was never a huge fan of Jurgen's Superman.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I've been looking forward to the answer to that for a while.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

With a bit of delay on my part,Suicide Squad War Crimes was pretty good.Seeing it was pretty politically charged,i expected to see more talk about it.But I guess it doesn't count if nobody says Hail Hydra.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

trebean

Quote from: Silver Shocker on August 31, 2016, 06:00:15 AM
Yeah, I've been looking forward to the answer to that for a while.
Welp, just read the latest Action Comics and I gotta say, I really hope that it's not gonna be this Clark Kent is another imperfect clone or something since the company he's tailing is literally called Geneticron as in Genetics. Anyway, does anyone here read Green Lanterns? Surprised since I really disliked Humphries run on Star Lord and his other Cosmic Work on Marvel but I'm loving the interaction and character development in this book, it's a pretty good intro to Simon Baz and Jessica which highlights their more positive characteristics. Also, New Super-Man! Loving this book, I just realized! Black Condor = Blue Condor, Ghost Woman = Phantom Lady, Woman With Solar Tech Who's Name I Forgot = The Ray?, they're the Freedom Fighters of China! I have no idea if this is just coincidence in name or if Yang really planned this all along.

HarryTrotter

Remember how in Detective Comics Tim rewired those drones to go after him?
Spoiler
He survives.Because Mr Oz saved him.What exactly is the deal with this guy?
Doom Patrol #1 didnt really blow me away,but Im willing to give it another issue to see if its going anywhere.And is this in the DCU?I got the feeling its a complete reboot,but I cant really say.
Jon Farmer

daglob

The cover of Wonder Woman Rebirth #7 is an homage/rip-off of Conan the Avenger by Frank Frazetta.

HarryTrotter

^Bit of googling tells me its a homage.Just gender swaped.
Sixpack and Dogwelder #2 that was way funnier then it should have been.
John Constantine spends the whole issue complaining how he used to have his own impring,nice covers,top talents;but now he has a space helmet.And floats around on a silver board.And Spectre just needs to be seen to be believed.
Btw,if Clark Kent is now world famous;how come nobody connected him to Clark Smith?The guy who looks exactly like him and has the same first name?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Dammnit Spade, I haven't read this week's Action Comics yet and you just spoiled it for me.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I did maybe spoil Sixpack and Dogwelder,but AC?Clark was famous because it was revealed he was Superman(to the public) way back in the previous series.Truth story arc IIRC.And new Supermans last name is Smith,we know that since  Lois and Clark.
I dont see whats the spoiler there.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

My bad, I thought you were talking about the mystery Clark.
For the record, I didn't read Lois and Clark, and I did try to do some research and didn't find any information about Superman going by Clark Smith.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Sometimes its Smith,sometimes it White.That seems to vary.
Anyway,he still has the same name and face as a guy who is world famous as being Superman.
As far as fake names go,this is worst then Frank Rook.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Midnighter and Apollo #1 i thought Subway pirates were a cool reference,but thats barely the start.Old(really old) DC fans will get a kick out of this one.
Futures appearances of
Spoiler
Ali-Ka Zoom,December Graystone,Blackbriar Thorn,Felix Faust,Ra-Man,Kulak and Extrano.Its all a plot by Bendix to recruit Mawzir.Yeah the demon lord of guns from Hitman.
I noticed a lot of elements from Hitman in the Rebirth books.Could a sequel/reboot be in the works?
Jon Farmer

trebean

Quote from: Spade on October 05, 2016, 03:23:37 PM
Midnighter and Apollo #1 i thought Subway pirates were a cool reference,but thats barely the start.Old(really old) DC fans will get a kick out of this one.
Futures appearances of
Spoiler
Ali-Ka Zoom,December Graystone,Blackbriar Thorn,Felix Faust,Ra-Man,Kulak and Extrano.Its all a plot by Bendix to recruit Mawzir.Yeah the demon lord of guns from Hitman.
I noticed a lot of elements from Hitman in the Rebirth books.Could a sequel/reboot be in the works?
I only know like 2 of those characters, not counting Hitman and Bendix and the Subway Pirates.

HarryTrotter

^Pretty much the same,but a check of DC wiki tells me they are pretty old,and pretty obscure DC magic characters.So I thought somebody here must know them. :)
Jon Farmer

trebean

On a whim, I picked up Cyborg's series and it's pretty good. The writer is doing like an "Anatomy Lesson" thing here with Cyborg being revealed to possibly just be a recreation of his human self made by his father and he's really all robot. It's only like 3 issues in, last issue definitely picked up the pace with Kilg%re being reintroduced and the ending felt straight out of a Silver Age Comic.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Call me when they do Herculoids-Doom Patrol......

HarryTrotter

^I dont think they are in the current lineup of HB comics published.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 14, 2016, 06:13:27 PM
Call me when they do Herculoids-Doom Patrol......

Herculoids-Galaxy Trio?

HarryTrotter

To comment on the current Suicide Squad run- Im mostly here for Rob Williams(another 2000AD veteran)  and Jim Lee-and they do a pretty good job.It opens up with a meeting between Amanda Waller and Obama,which is actually a pretty clever way to get the readers up to speed and say what they need to say.Makes you wonder how will the meeting with the new president go.Use of back-ups is a nice way to tell the characters backstories(and save Jim Lee from drawing 40 pages a month),but it also stretches the story to 8 issues,instead of the regular 5-6.And it does have a lot of stuff going on,General Zod(KNEEL BEFORE ZOD),Russian version of the squad,prison riot,various relations between the characters;but there is plenty of time to sort it out in the future stories.I hope.
Which brings me to Justice League VS Suicide Squad #1 Batman being moral about the whole thing is a bit odd after the events of his own book.And maybe ungrateful.its pretty funny that it makes a big deal out of the villains reveal,considering we saw who it was in the previews.At the back of every DC issue in the past 2 weeks.But okay,it makes more sense then your average Marvel event,and Faboks artwork is pretty good.He comes pretty close to Jim Lee in style.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on December 21, 2016, 03:54:53 PM
To comment on the current Suicide Squad run- Im mostly here for Rob Williams

Huh. I didn't know DC had a habit of bringing back world-famous comedians to write their comics. Though considering just how he went out, Suicide Squad is a lot more appropriate than one may first think. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

ROBIN Williams.This is ROB Williams,British writer.Longtime writer for the Galaxys Greates Comic,pretty much the go-to Judge Dredd guy(when John Wagner isnt around),author of Low Life(collected now in 3 volumes as Mega City Undercover,so go get that,people),Asylum,Family and
Cla$$war.And a lot of other stuff.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Hey guys. Jonesing for your next hit of Watchmen in DC Rebirth? Well guess what it's a crossover now.

DC's doing a four-issue crossover between Flash and Tom King's Batman based around The Comedian's Button. Oh DC, you always want all of the money, don't you.

On the one hand: Yay, they're finally getting around to one of the Watchmen plots we've been watching the longest to learn more about. On the other hand, in order to read it you're going to have buy several issues of Tom King's Batman.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I hope there will be special lenticular covers.Oh good,there are.
Titans have been teasing "Manhattan" for a while now,so something will eventualy happen there too.
And apparently,BC has some private messages between Diane Nelson and Dan Didio where they brainstorm the event of 2017: DC Universe VS the Watchmen.
Which does sound like something they would do.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

On a different note, Dan Abnett's Aquaman run is just plain excellent.  He's doing a fantastic job fleshing out Arthur's world and setting, and his character work has bee really strong.  He's gone a little overboard with the powers, but he's just following in Johns' footsteps on that score.  Anyone else reading it?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/137176-dc-comics-revamps-affordable-comics-act-to-include-single-payer-system-for-digital-codes.html
DC raises the price of 15 of their monthly titles to 3,99.Reset the counter.
Good news is,Dan Jurgens is actually doing something with the characters from Multiversity.So kudos there.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Unless they're also increasing the page count, that's not cool.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 18, 2017, 03:36:47 PM
Unless they're also increasing the page count, that's not cool.
I quote: The increase of a dollar includes download codes for a matching digital copy in the affected comic books.
So when you buy a comic,you also get a code for the digital copy of the same comic.I fail to see any benefit in that.
Jon Farmer

daglob

So you can read it on your media device. Like, who wants to touch those old paper things anyway?

Me, I'm and old f... ogey and don't see the benefit in it either... unless the digital copy has extras.

HarryTrotter

But if I wanted the digital copy,I wouldn't be buying the physical one.
Now,maybe that could have been justified if the code was for a different comic,but as it stands;you would be paying extra for something you don't want/already have.
Jon Farmer