News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat1987

Quote from: Tomato on August 11, 2013, 01:37:52 AM
I have the image itself up on my antimato tumblr, but the link is http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=20869

Very cool, seems that the CSA has the newly improved DCC articulation.

Tomato

TBH, I don't think I'll be getting them, regardless of the articulation... I'm perfectly happy with the 5 pack CSA figures from the DCUC line, so without something unique to entice me (like a decent looking Aquaman analogue) I'd rather keep the figures I've got. DCC's getting enough of my money with the Arkham VG line.

But back to the comics... I honestly don't know what to think on this. On the one hand, the designs are an indication that we're keeping the characters true to their pre-52 roots, but on the other... DC has already taken Earth 2 and mangled it almost past recognition, and I love the Crime Syndicate too much to see that happen to Earth 3 as well.

Podmark

Anyone been following Trinity War?
I've been enjoying it. I like seeing the three teams working together and I'm very interested in who the mystery villain behind the Society is.

Spoiler

Plot involves Superman having killed a new heroic Doctor Light. But he was controlled somehow and the three different Leagues have fractured following different lines of investigation. Pandora and her box are in it a lot. I don't really have much to say about the plot yet, still waiting to see how things shake out.

Of course this somehow leads to Forever Evil and the new CSA, which intrigues me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

bat1987

Quote from: Podmark on August 17, 2013, 09:46:10 PM
Anyone been following Trinity War?
I've been enjoying it. I like seeing the three teams working together and I'm very interested in who the mystery villain behind the Society is.

I think the Outsider (the tall white dude)
Spoiler

is Alfred from alternate Earth. To support this theory, there were silver age stories where Alfred was turned into white skinned dude named Outsider, and if u look at what he did and his posture it makes sense.

All in all the crossover is fun, a bit chaotic but fun. The fact that we know CSA comes at the end of it kinda killed the momentum for me, would have been a nice surprise ending

Green Hornet

Just read the last issue of Legion of Super heroes. By the clues in this issue it looks to be on Earth 2.

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

bat1987

*barf*

This is coming from someone who doesn't like Lobo, that's is sooooo unnecessary.

BentonGrey

Ha!  I'm sure he'll be all angsty and mysterious too.  Ohh my.  It's sad when even a parody character becomes something of an embarrassment of shameless pandering.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

AfghanAnt

This is so confusing considering Lobo has already debuted in Stormwatch.

detourne_me

So wan't Lobo supposed to be a kind of parody of the excesses in '90s comics?
Is this new one a parody of the dire straits DC are in now?

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on August 25, 2013, 01:15:39 PM
This is so confusing considering Lobo has already debuted in Stormwatch.

From what I read that guy is going to be revealed to be an impostor. Which sounds kinda ridiculous.

To be honest I like the new design. Looks like a cool character...doesn't look like Lobo but still.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BlueBard

Quote from: bat1987 on August 25, 2013, 12:40:17 AM
*barf*

This is coming from someone who doesn't like Lobo, that's is sooooo unnecessary.

I think a barf gives this redesign too much credit.  Not that I'm a fan of Lobo, but that look destroys the whole point of the character.  Like putting Deadpool in a three-piece Armani suit and giving him non-lethal weaponry.  He's supposed to be crude and outrageous.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Deaths Jester

GAH!!!  Lobo man pretty?!?!?  So wrong on so many levels!!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

daglob

Unless, of course, that's how Lobo sees himself in a mirror....

Naaaah... he's not into self deception.

Starman

He must be on the same diet as the New 52 Amanda Waller.

bat1987

Apparently the writer of the book said that he's nowhere near as skinny as the promo picture depicts him.

DC's marketing department is to blame if its true.

Tomato

Except he still has pretty boy hair, still lacks any of the 90s tropes in his design that are a core part of his character (chains, massive guns, etc) and doesn't have nearly enough hair on his arms.

Starman

I have a mental image of new Lobo taking a drag on a cigar and breaking into a fit of coughing.

detourne_me

Like zoolander with black lung

daglob

"Beer? No, no, thank you.

"Perhaps some zinfandel and a little brie?"

BentonGrey

Quote from: Starman on September 02, 2013, 08:23:43 AM
He must be on the same diet as the New 52 Amanda Waller.

Ha!

I swear, very little of the New 52 got under my skin more than that change.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

detourne_me

Batwoman, Batman and Wonder Woman were the only DC titles I was buying for over a year,   I stopped buying them a few months back.
I really don't think Time Warner deserves my money.... but I just saw that Jeff Lemire has a new Vertigo miniseries. well, i guess i could just read that, and unless dc does something drastic to the new 52, i wont be going back.

AfghanAnt

Urgh. First the Orson Scott Card drama and now this...I am really enjoying Wonder Woman and reading stuff like this makes me want to stop supporting DC completely.

bat1987

I could be wrong but I think it has more to do with the marriage thing in general rather than DC having problem with gay marriage.
They just dont want to have married characters because it makes them appear older is what Diddio said.

I do agree that the whole thing they are doing to their writters is pretty stupid, this situation included.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: bat1987 on September 05, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
I could be wrong but I think it has more to do with the marriage thing in general rather than DC having problem with gay marriage.
They just dont want to have married characters because it makes them appear older is what Diddio said.

I do agree that the whole thing they are doing to their writters is pretty stupid, this situation included.

That's just it; equating marriage to old is a pretty silly idea in general. Also the article states Williams and Blackman's ideas were constantly being rejected. There is only so much effort a creative team can put into a project after they have been depowered in their decision making.

BentonGrey

Ehh.  Y'all know how I feel about this stuff in comics, but the DC Universe of today isn't one I'm terribly interested in exploring anyway.  Good for those two in sticking up for their principles/creative integrity, I suppose.
God Bless

Podmark

Disappointing news. I wasn't reading it but from all accounts it was one of DCs stronger books.
I really don't understand why DC seems to be so flip floppy with it's creative planning. We keep hearing these stories about last minute changes. You never hear this stuff coming out of Marvel.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Yeah, they seem equal parts draconian and confused...which is less than an ideal combination.
God Bless

DrMike2000

I really wonder what's going on in the collective heads of DC management these days. I used to love this universe, I get more indifferent to it every day.

I don't buy the idea that this is just them being averse to marriage in general - I think they got cold feet over having a gay marriage in their comics. (Which disappoints me greatly, by the way.)
Gay marriage is still a contentious issue, so they'd have to be politically blind to write this off as "just another marriage" and cancel it because it might make Kate Kane look a bit old and unrelatable. And you certainly would need a stronger reason to risk alienating readers who've rallied around her as a role model, and alienating one of your top creative teams.

It wouldn't surprise me if this mandate came down from some higher up at Warner Bros who had only just become aware of what was going on in this book.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com