News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

The Nielsen Company made a survey about the "New 52" initiative. Newsarama had the entire relatory, but it was removed. Anyway, we can find part of the conclusions here:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/go/to.cgi/http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/09/dc-comics-the-new-52-product-launch-research-results/
I found this one specially interesting...

DC COMICS: THE NEW 52 appealed mainly to avid fans and lapsed readers. More than 70% of those surveyed categorized themselves as avid fans who visit the comic book store every week. More than a quarter of in-store consumers were lapsed readers. The survey indicates that 5% of those polled identified themselves as first-time, new readers.

And this one is the natural follow up

Avid Fans purchased up to 20 titles out of the 52 titles.

So, DC didn't get new readers, but they found a way to make their readers to buy more comics. It's the same strategy the big two are trying in the last 30 years wit the Events/crossovers madness. Will it work this time?

murs47

Quote from: John Jr. on April 16, 2012, 10:31:58 PM
The Nielsen Company made a survey about the "New 52" initiative. Newsarama had the entire relatory, but it was removed. Anyway, we can find part of the conclusions here:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/go/to.cgi/http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/09/dc-comics-the-new-52-product-launch-research-results/
I found this one specially interesting...

DC COMICS: THE NEW 52 appealed mainly to avid fans and lapsed readers. More than 70% of those surveyed categorized themselves as avid fans who visit the comic book store every week. More than a quarter of in-store consumers were lapsed readers. The survey indicates that 5% of those polled identified themselves as first-time, new readers.

And this one is the natural follow up

Avid Fans purchased up to 20 titles out of the 52 titles.

So, DC didn't get new readers, but they found a way to make their readers to buy more comics. It's the same strategy the big two are trying in the last 30 years wit the Events/crossovers madness. Will it work this time?

I think it has worked....at least temporarily. Of course, the low quality of story telling in some of these titles isn't creating long term success.

BentonGrey

Nope, like I've been saying for months.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

John Jr.

Quite frankly, I don't think it will work in the  long term. They need to find a way to get new readers without alienating the old ones. Make some of their readers buy more comics is a short term strategy, when one guy stops reading they loose 20 "buyers"...
With all the media coverage and an line wide reboot they got only 5% new readers and we don't know how many of them will stick around.

Previsionary

We've had this discussion a few times, and despite some people claiming "it worked," and going on nonsensical rants about it, we just need to accept that Marvel and DC are deadset in their ways and aren't willing to try much outside of their comfort zones to really grab newer, younger readers, otherwise they wouldn't keep endorsing the same methods that pushed people away in the first place.

In other news, Wonder Woman is getting a new costume?!

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/04/16/wonder-woman-gets-a-new-costume-and-a-pair-of-golden-guns/
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Ug.  Well, that's about a third of what I've always said her costume should be, at least insomuch as it has some Greek elements...though they're lost in an overly complicated design.  Really, Darwyn Cooke's version of it from the New Frontier is pretty close to what I've always rather thought she needed, a look that made some sense given her origin, yet was still superheroic:
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqgh2zAqTr1qg1iejo1_500.png

Also, WW wielding "golden guns"?  Ha....is Michael Bay somehow behind this?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 17, 2012, 01:38:24 AM

Him or Rob Liefield.

Talavar

A quarter of those polled were lapsed readers coming back - that's nothing to sneer at though.

BentonGrey

Too true CB, too true.

Ehh, that type of readership isn't going to last, though.
God Bless

laughing paradox

Wonder Woman wielding modern weapons is organic to the current run of Wonder Woman, as it depicts ancient Greek mythologies with a modern spin.

Also, it's the best book DC is pumping out.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 17, 2012, 01:38:24 AM

Judging by that cover, I'd say it was Simon Pegg.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

murs47

Quote from: laughing paradox on April 17, 2012, 11:30:27 PM
Wonder Woman wielding modern weapons is organic to the current run of Wonder Woman, as it depicts ancient Greek mythologies with a modern spin.

Agreed.

Deaths Jester

You know, the one thing I really miss is JSA...before they broke it up and killed Alan Scott and such..but just the JSA.  Wish DC had at least tried doing a 52 verison of them, just so we could see the team some more.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Deaths Jester on April 18, 2012, 03:32:17 PM
You know, the one thing I really miss is JSA...before they broke it up and killed Alan Scott and such..but just the JSA.  Wish DC had at least tried doing a GOOD 52 verison of them, just so we could see the team some more.

Fixed.

Previsionary

Looks like some of the actions DC (and Marvel) have pulled in the past has ended up pushing one creator away. Who, you ask? One Mr. Chris Roberson.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/04/18/will-before-watchmen-drive-creators-away/

Quote"If DC knew it couldn't get any good talent if it acts this way, it would change," said cartoonist John Linton Roberson (no relation) on the Facebook page. "That's what caused the changes in the 80s that LED to Watchmen–that most of their big talent was going to Pacific, First and Eclipse. If the big 2 hadn't been scared, royalties and rights of any kind never would have happened."

Amazo Version 2.2

so what does everyone think about dc's next wave or wave 2 or whatever? i think earth 2 may have potential.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Podmark

I'm looking forward to Batman Inc, but I'll probably get it in trade form.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

The Hitman

I am interested in seeing where Earth 2 goes, and Dial H is both creepy and awesome.

BentonGrey

None of the titles interest me, sadly.  If JSA was set in the 40's or 30's, portraying the original generation of super-heroes, I might be interested.  I'm of the opinion that their new world is far too ill-defined as yet to be creating alternate versions of it.
God Bless

bredon7777

Second the Dial H for Hero being both creepy and awesome.

I am decidedly Meh on Earth-2, however.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

crimsonquill

Third the Dial H for Hero myself.. totally was awesome to see this title return and bringing back the wild and creepy once again.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Cyber Burn

I'll give Earth-2 a few more issues to see how things play out.

laughing paradox

I thought Earth 2 was exciting and a better story than the Justice League of America. I'm interested in seeing the characters we know adapted in a new light.

World's Finest felt like a new Birds of Prey book to me, which is something I enjoy, seeing as the current Birds of Prey book is lackluster at best.

murs47

Earth 2 was interesting. The last few pages with Jay and Allen really grabbed my attention. I'll give the next issue a try for sure.

Bloodshadow

Gotta agree with you guys,Earth 2 is awesome! :thumbup:

John Jr.

I just read "Earth 2" and while the premise is a lot better than I expect I still found the story bland, it should be epic, but was weak I liked the new Alan Scott, he looks promising, but I doubt I'll follow this one.
I was very surprised with "Worlds' Finest", it's pretty good! Good art and great characterization (the heroines didn't cry and wallows in self pity after a tragedy, they rebuild their lives and go on, like heroes are supposed to do) and the dialog is fun. I'll probably get issue 2.

yell0w_lantern

Didio does it again.
I just read that DC has decided it must make one of its main characters homosexual [in order to sell more comics]. Way to seem insincere and ham-handed, DC.
Yellow Lantern smash!

BlueBard

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on May 21, 2012, 12:29:40 PM
Didio does it again.
I just read that DC has decided it must make one of its main characters homosexual [in order to sell more comics]. Way to seem insincere and ham-handed, DC.

I'm shocked.

I'm shocked they didn't decide to go with two.  Batman and Superman can finally be "Super Friends" out in the open.  Or they could really explore the deep relationship between Batman and Robin.

:thumbdown:
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Cyber Burn

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on May 21, 2012, 12:29:40 PM
Didio does it again.

Not an attention grabber for me, maybe if it was to further develop a character or story, I would check it out. But not just to sell books.  :thumbdown:

Previsionary

You know it's going to be a B or C lister and said news will be used to combat Northstar's wedding to Mr. No Personality (Kyle). If they want to use a gay/lesbian character, then they should just stick with Batwoman, who, y'know, was so controversial way back when.