DC Online NDA lifted today! Who else has been playing this?

Started by AncientSpirit, December 07, 2010, 12:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

Been in PC Beta for a short while now and can't believe how enjoyable this game is and how fast paced -- although to really enjoy it I had to switch over from keyboard and mouse to a Xbox 360 controller.   

Integration with DC characters is fun and well handled -- and for non power players like myself, its a real plus that I already know all the heroes and villians.    The sheer scope of the cities and the JLA headquarters is amazing.   They still need to get a lot fixed to be ready for their launch, but the lifting of the NDA means its sooner rather than later. 

Very different than CoX.    Can see a place for both these universes to reside together on my PC.

Anyone else in the Beta?    Your thoughts on the game so far? 
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

electro

At first I was a little disapointed in the character creator but, after getting alot of loot from missions I see that the game actually has a big supply of costume parts & weapons - I also found that I could do stuff with this method of character creating that I couldn't do in CoH/Champs like start the game with a char that only wears rags & wields a sword - Then as I adventure around I can gather armor/ weapons to place on him & start slowly looking like a knight - Literally from rags to riches :blink:

Valandar

I just did NOT like the gameplay, itself. It didn't feel like an MMO RPG. It felt like an MMO Buttonmasher.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Lionheart

Quote from: Valandar on December 07, 2010, 01:34:54 PM
I just did NOT like the gameplay, itself. It didn't feel like an MMO RPG. It felt like an MMO Buttonmasher.

My thoughts exactly. There are a lot of cool aspects to DCUO (I love wall-climbing and the story-relevant liveliness of the streets), but the controls are a killer for me. I'd far rather hit one button to fire a given power than tap-tap-hold-tap-hold to fire the same power. I want to be focused on the action on the screen, not the mechanics behind the action. Of the various combat systems I've played (e.g., MMORPG, Tactical RPG [FF], FPS, action/fighter), the action/fighter controls are by far my least favorite.

I've been in DCUO beta for a bit now and have found myself logging into it less and less when I'm in the superhero mood. CoH is a lot more fun for me (opinions will vary, of course). :)

For DCUO, the control scheme and extremely limited up front customization (both looks and powers) drop it well below CoH for me. The fantasy game system of getting costume/armor drops as you go just doesn't fit the superhero theme where the character's looks are part of his identity. Random drops just don't lend themselves to a coherent look and feel with a themed character.

electro

CoH is hands down a better game but, i'm getting tired of it after playing for almost 6 years - If the DCUO was a clone of CoH with just DC NPC's then it might be a bit boring - So I welcome the new gameplay style - I use an Xbox 360 controller to play & it feels perfect for the game - I did try to play with a mouse & keyboard but, that kinda sucked trying to combo, block, & dodge in the heat of battle - I think superspeed is done really well in this game & is really fun to have alot different options to choose from in the superspeed tree - One important JLA char that seems to be missing from the game is Aquaman - I wonder if there saving him for a later expansion to be a mentor & have his own missions & villains like there doing with The Green Lantern & Sinestro when they release the hard light expansion - All in all I like this game alot & am glad I have another Superhero MMO in my arsenal - This is a nice starting place for the game & will be fun to watch it grow threw the years :blink:

AncientSpirit

Lion, you don't have to change the look of your toon when you get new equipment.  I never do.   You have the option of changing your look when you equip it, or not.   And if you do change your look, you can go back into your costume and just change it back to what you prefer.  You still get all the bonus stats of the drop.

I find myself agreeing with Electro - if DC Online was just a clone of CoX i wouldn't like it.   So I'm really enjoying the differences - especially since I switched from mouse to Xbox controller.   (The drops and stats upgrades remind me of the old Might & Magic series, which I enjoyed.) 

In fairness though, I can't compare it to CoX since City is a mature game that has evolved over time, and which I enjoy for all its richness and options.  Yet for a Beta of a product just launching?   DC rocks!  And they don't even have in heroes based on Green Lantern yet - which has to be one of the add ons down the road.   I'm also really enjoying the mentoring scenes, where they have real actors doing the voice overs of Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. interacting with you.

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Lionheart

I understand that; it's the way I played beta as well. The drawbacks in character creation were the relatively small selection of costume variations compared to either CoH or CO. Their stated purpose was that players would modify their looks over time via drops, quest rewards, etc.

The selection of powers is also very limited at the outset; one of the chief complaints from some on the forums is that you can't make standard DC-style characters (e.g., Superman) with the current selections. Again, less variation than either of the other superhero MMOs. Also, with only one power bar, it really limits your tactical power usage in game compared to the other games (even CO had to open it up more from their original limitations).

Note that some of the costume options are fantastic, no question there, as well as some of the female hairstyles. What's there is great, there's just not much of it.

But the real negative for me is the tap/hold fighter style combat. I've always despised it, way back with Street Fighter. All things added up, pros and cons (and there are definitely some real pros), DCUO isn't my cup of tea.

Lionheart

Apparently there are space limits in posting (I got cut off while typing the above), so I'll finish here. :)

My ideal superhero MMO would take components from both CoH and DCUO.

The graphics upgrade with DCUO is great; the interaction of NPCs on the streets and how it relates to the overall story is immersive. Some of the storytelling is good, although the voice only aspect is annoying. I'd like to be able to look up details in my journal during a mission; the last I saw, there wasn't much info in the journal. The wall-climbing/building leaping/gliding aspect of Acrobatics is awesome (the run animation isn't); it's probably the most fun I've had with a travel power in any MMO to date.

Otherwise, I still enjoy CoH more. I much prefer the MMO-style combat where the focus is on tactics and what's going on on the screen, versus counting how many taps/holds I'm doing in what order -- or rather, eventually just smashing buttons as fast as possible with very little thought because I'm getting bored with the constant clicking.

I do not begrudge at all action gamers getting a persistent MMO world to play in. It's just not a playstyle I enjoy, thus a bit of disappointment because I like so many other elements of the game. I might play it F2P, but for a sub, I'll stay where I'm at (and dive back into writing Architect missions).

MikeB7

Sorry to hear about the button-mashing/tap-tap-hold-tap aspect of the controls.  The game looks gorgeous, but the controls are a deal-breaker for me.  I've never been able to get into that style.  I'll probably check it out just to see the sights, but can't see staying.  CoX is still the game for me.

electro

I play alot of fighting games so to tap a button to swing or hold it for a build up attack is like second nature for me - Also I noticed with this gameplay I wasn't constantly focused on my power tray watching meters - Actually I never look at my power tray anymore - So I can enjoy the fight & enviorment - I'll always play CoH till they close down the servers but, I'm officially done with Champions - This game was what I wanted Champions to play like :blink:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, the button mashing means I'm out too.  Arcade games are okay and all, but not for an MMO.  I also tend to get bored with those very, very quickly.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Alaric

Technically, I'm in the beta, but after trying it out it didn't hold my interest at all.
Fear the "A"!!!

JKCarrier

I just this minute got a beta invite...I'd forgotten that I registered for it way back when.  :wacko: So I guess I'll be trying it out once it downloads...

bat1987

Wow, if anyone has an extra beta key, you know where to find me  ;)

Tortuga

Got my invite tonight too.  I'm one GB away from giving it a whirl.

electro

I'm interested to hear what a few others think about this game - I've made it all the way to lvl 20 with 2 toons & I wanta keep playing - To bad I can't keep'em - Another fun thing about superspeed is that if you jump while hitting a curb or piece of rubble that arcs up you will fly way into the air - This helps out alot in racing challenges to get a platinum medal :blink:

Edit : All Playstation Plus subscribers will have free access to the DCUO beta (No pre-order needed)
Link : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/08/coming-to-playstation-plus-more-early-holiday-presents/

Courtnall6

Got my Beta invite. Installing now... :D

13.1 gigs  :blink:

EDIT: And by "installing" I actually meant downloading... :P
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Tortuga

Moving this thread to Other Games Discussion.

Discussion about a DCUO forum is happening...for now we'll stick to talking about it in Other Games.

Tortuga

What servers are some folks? Beta 3 or 4 seem to the options.

lugaru

Any chance I can get an Invite? Kind of curious given everything that has been said. I'm currently a CO player and enjoy it but I think it is stuck in a purgatory of being an upgrade (in terms of looks and action) over CoH but lacks the best stuff (like playing a villain) and DCUO has heroes, villains and better tech.

Trelau

I have a question about the "button mashing" complaints
I'm not much of a fighting game player, so i don't really know what that comparison to their gameplay means. Would you say it feels like a Dynasty Warrior way of playing?
I'm trying to picture it (no beta for me :( ) because what had me stop playing Champions was the gameplay, that felt flat and lifeless (click...yep, i hit you. and click...i hit you again).
I would actually like DCUO to play like an arcade/beat-them-all/solo-action game. Or at least hybrid action, like DnD online was (click: you swing your weapon. if your weapon touches the hitbox of the ennemy: roll for damage)

So, would youdescribe the gameplay as dynasty warrior - like? (i actually "like" this kind of gameplay, to an extent)

electro

Combat : I feel it's more like a fighting game - It even has a combo meter that pops up much like Marvel vs Capcom series or any of the recent fighting games - Example : I can tap the punch button twice & get 2 quick hits then hold the button for my third hit which activates a double axe handle move which stuns the opponent - While stunned I can use a powerfull special move with alot of knockback to send my opponent flying back - As there falling back i'll use my tornado to pull them back torward me in the air - Then jump up into the air & start hitting them again with quick melee's - This ussually KO's the guy i'm fighting but, there are enemies all around so as i'm falling from killing the last guy i'll superspeed over to another opponent & continue the comboing with whatever method I can cook up etc... I've racked up a an 80 hit combo before fighting a group of foe's & never onced glanced at my power tray - The madness really kicks in when you have teammates adding to the carnage - Example : I've teamed with a blaster that knocked a Hive agent out of the air & right before they hit the ground i'll use my whirling stun superspeed move to catch them & stun them - Then me & my teammate both jumped on him doing melee attacks for the finish - To many comboing possibilites & mad fun once you get the hang of the controls - You can't just mash buttons to do this either - They must be timed or the combo will break but, it's not so tight that you have to do the timing perfectly either - Just a steady pace - I know, I know to many words but, I hope this helped ya Trelau :blink:

PS. Never played Dynasty Warriors

Edit : The PS3 Beta has started today & I just got invited Yaey - Let's see if the PS3 looks better than my PC version

Spoiler

Courtnall6

I played a bit yesterday (okay...4 hours :P) and it's pretty good so far. I created 2 characters one following Superman (a fire/brawler named Solaron) and one following Batman (a gadget/staff fighter named Knight Hood).

A few points:

-The charactrer creator is pretty good. You get a lot more gear to wear while playing the game. I like that you can hide what shows on you and what does not. My major annoyance is the constant spinning your toon does during his/her creation. Anyway to stop that? Also...I absolutely HATE that they decided to go with unique naming. I also don't like the "inspired by" option...it's weak creatively and leads to rampant cloning.

-Beautiful graphics and animation. I am having stuttering issues however with the settings all on Normal. Usually I can run most games with High setting here and there.

-Combat is fun. You definitely will need a controller for it though. The playstyle felt like God of War and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

-I tried 2 of 3 travel powers and both are cool. Flying looks and feels great. Acrobatics is good too...but a bit too "uber" for human level characters to pull off. It is a superhero comic based MMO tho so that's ok. :D

-It's just cool to be in an actual game world I know. Walking around and seeing DC characters is just plain sweet.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

JeyNyce

Quote from: Courtnall6 on December 10, 2010, 02:57:31 PM
It's just cool to be in an actual game world I know. Walking around and seeing DC characters is just plain sweet.

That's one of the nice features in the game.  You'll also get "achievements" for doing certain things.  I got one for finding the Bat Signal & for going to the Superman Memorial Park and for going to the top of the Daily Planet.

As for combat, I don't mind the button mashing.  Like I said in the other thread, it lets me fight while I'm charging, unlike other games I have to wait and let me powers charge.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

electro

You nailed it with GoW refference to playstyle C6! - I should have said that instead of fighting game :blink:

bat1987

Quote from: electro on December 09, 2010, 12:09:07 PM

Edit : All Playstation Plus subscribers will have free access to the DCUO beta (No pre-order needed)
Link : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/08/coming-to-playstation-plus-more-early-holiday-presents/

Huh, they'd rather put PS plus subcribers into beta and ignore EU people who pre-ordered the game...great.

JKCarrier

A few hours in, I can mainly just echo what others have said:

The game looks great, and runs smooth on my mid-range system.
Fighting alongside (and against) the DC characters is cool.
It seems like there's no shortage of missions so far (something that Champions suffered from early on).
The little collectible easter eggs around the cities are fun.
I like that when you get a piece of gear, you can mouse over it and see at a glance if it's better than what you currently have equipped.
It seems fairly solo-friendly so far.

On the other hand:
I don't like the business of your gear getting damaged/worn out. Having to stop in the middle of a mission to run back to the safehouse to get it fixed is a real drag (and if you were on a team it would really suck).
Some of the missions re-set when you die. For instance, when fighting the
Spoiler
Trigon-possessed Teen Titans
if I beat one or two of them and then got defeated, I would have to start all over again. Very aggravating.
Costume creation seems really limited. I'm really surprised they went this route, since the customizability is such a big selling point for CoX and CO.
The button-mashing combat is something you either love or hate. I don't love it. It's probably a smart move to try and separate themselves from the MMO pack by appealing to action gamers, but it's not my cup of tea.

If it were free2play, I would consider it, but for a monthly fee, I think I'll be sticking to CoX.

Midnite

Got my PS3 Beta key this morning. Probably won't download till later. My monthly bandwidth cap is almost at the limit.
Has anyone notice the civilians NPCs on top of the buildings? As a hero you can save them from jumping off. I heard as a villian you'll push them off. :lol: I stopped a couple of thugs on the rooftops breaking in.

Oh anyone see DC heroes or villians roaming around the cities? Besides the ones on the wanted/bounty list. 

Anyways I'm on PC Beta 3 if anyone wants to team-up.

Mr. Hamrick

if they do a port to the mac then I will get it.  Hopefully by then there are a few more options on the heroes side than just Superman, Batman, and presumably Wonder Woman.  Though, I would probably follow Batman at the moment.

What villain routes are there to follow?  I assume Luthor is one.  Who are the others?

bat1987

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on December 11, 2010, 12:29:59 AM
What villain routes are there to follow?  I assume Luthor is one.  Who are the others?

Joker and Circe.