New Spider-man Movie

Started by JeyNyce, July 02, 2010, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on January 14, 2011, 08:51:02 PM
I still don't understand why we need a reboot of the franchise at all.

Because the 3rd movie sux (but made a lot of money)
The director left

Insert other comments here:
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Talavar

Quote from: steamteck on January 14, 2011, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: BWPS on January 14, 2011, 04:40:55 AM
I like it. It's not overly different or complicated, but it looks realistic and it has web-shooters. Him, I just love the look of. He is so high school Peter Parker-y!
I know it seems like stupid idea to reboot and I'm sure the studios will have all kinds of meddling to do, but I have a good vibe about this movie so far from the casting and pictures. I don't like Denis Leary, but if he's playing a jerk cop, he fits -  I mean, he's not a bad actor.  Martin Sheen is a good actor, and I definitely like Emma Stone (and the fact that Gwen Stacy is actually Gwen Stacy). Plus, high school Spider-Man is usually great (see Spectacular Spider-Man). Of course it still could go either way, but I'm always excited to see a Spider-Man movie.

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm not excited about almost any of the actors. Martin Sheen  won't be a believable uncle Ben for me but its a relatively small part at least. Not getting a good vibe at all. Not a big fan of high school Spider-Man either but I'm willling to wait and see.

I think we get it - you don't like Martin Sheen.  You've only brought it up twice today and about 5 times in this thread.

We, the viewers, don't need one.  Sony, the producer, needs one for several reasons:

1.  Sony's trying to do an end-run around the Spider-man 3 backlash.  Big, franchise movies tend to make most of their money in the first two weekends - before word of mouth has time to spread - so they tend to perform based on their immediate predecessor.  Spider-man 2 was great, so Spider-man 3 made a ton of money.  Same thing with X-men 2 and 3.  Sony's aware that Spider-man 3 is not regarded kindly, and so their response is to hit the reboot button.

2.  Sony wants to market this to a younger audience.  The actor's are all recast younger, the film's set in high school, etc.

3.  Sony needs to keep making Spider-man films so the license doesn't revert to Marvel/Disney.  

BlueBard

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 14, 2011, 05:37:29 PM
though the more i look at it, the suit seems for a lack of a better term  battle damaged and as other on another board have pointed out there seems to be room and shape for a belt of some kind which i think could actually pull the layout of the suit together

That's what I was thinking.  It does look like a battle damaged costume to me.  I bet the undamaged version looks better (assuming we're right about the damage).

Don't get me wrong, I liked the look of the costumes in S-M and S-M2... but this one looks a lot closer to some of the early Spidey costumes to me.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Courtnall6

me and you have disagreed with this in the past, i do not think that every change is stupid. the x-men would not work and wings on cap would look stupid(even in the comics) and grey and blue batman would look like it was made in a basement

This is the kinda thing that always leaves me scratching my head. Am I special? Am I the only one around here who can envision this stuff in my head where "would not work" and "look stupid" and "look like it was made in a basement"  not factor in at all? Have you all been brainwashed by Tim Burton, Bryan Singer, and Sam Raimi to think this way?

How could you possibly say that a $100,000+, studio made, blue and grey Batman costume would look like it was "made in a basement?" I mean...your only reference for this is the Adam West Batman costume....and that was done under a miniscule TV budget. It's the same thing with Captain America. People saying "Look how bad he looked in the Reb Brown TV movies! You want to see that on the big screen?" Ofcourse he looked bad. Low budget was written all over that costume.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

BentonGrey

Yes, well, that is precisely my thought in general, and I won't support these films because of that.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Talavar on January 14, 2011, 09:05:23 PM
We, the viewers, don't need one.  Sony, the producer, needs one for several reasons:

1.  Sony's trying to do an end-run around the Spider-man 3 backlash.  Big, franchise movies tend to make most of their money in the first two weekends - before word of mouth has time to spread - so they tend to perform based on their immediate predecessor.  Spider-man 2 was great, so Spider-man 3 made a ton of money.  Same thing with X-men 2 and 3.  Sony's aware that Spider-man 3 is not regarded kindly, and so their response is to hit the reboot button.

2.  Sony wants to market this to a younger audience.  The actor's are all recast younger, the film's set in high school, etc.

3.  Sony needs to keep making Spider-man films so the license doesn't revert to Marvel/Disney.  

No I understand the reasoning. My point is why do we need ANOTHER retelling of the origin? Nothing the new one does is going to make people forget they hated the third one (I liked it, but hey I liked evil peter  :) ). They can keep making Spiderman films all they want and they can cast whomever they want, but why not do it like James Bond... change the actors, alter the timelines etc... there is no need to bog down half of the new movie with stuff that people already have seen.

Although truthfully, I think I have singled out this film as the target for my general annoyance at the remake obsession Hollywood has right now. It actually made me happy that they announced the new Alien prequel has been morphed into a new standalone Sci Fi film that isn't connected to the Alien franchise at all.

deano_ue

Quote from: Courtnall6 on January 14, 2011, 11:35:41 PM
me and you have disagreed with this in the past, i do not think that every change is stupid. the x-men would not work and wings on cap would look stupid(even in the comics) and grey and blue batman would look like it was made in a basement

This is the kinda thing that always leaves me scratching my head. Am I special? Am I the only one around here who can envision this stuff in my head where "would not work" and "look stupid" and "look like it was made in a basement"  not factor in at all? Have you all been brainwashed by Tim Burton, Bryan Singer, and Sam Raimi to think this way?

How could you possibly say that a $100,000+, studio made, blue and grey Batman costume would look like it was "made in a basement?" I mean...your only reference for this is the Adam West Batman costume....and that was done under a miniscule TV budget. It's the same thing with Captain America. People saying "Look how bad he looked in the Reb Brown TV movies! You want to see that on the big screen?" Ofcourse he looked bad. Low budget was written all over that costume.

I apologise if my opinion seems to have personally offend you, i really do not think just throwing money at this is the solution. I ask you as an artist do you really think a direct page-to-screen costume for the likes of wolverine, no matter how much money is used for a bright yellow outfit with fins mask, wouldn't look right on a real life, flesh and blood person?

yes, i will admit that some work (spider-man, iron man, superman), but even then they have had changes made to better suit another medium. but others really cannot. i'm not defending hollywood, as some of the changes have been down right stupid.

and personally, no, i haven't been brainwashed. i look at the subject matter, and i form my own opinion like i was taught in my design classes. i guess this is one artistic subject we'll have to agree to disagree on

Courtnall6

Quotebright yellow outfit with fins mask

There is a problem right here. Who said it had to be bright yellow. Why not use a darker yellow and desaturate it some? Why even use his yellow and blue costume at all when his brown and tan fits the chatacter so much better? As for his mask...how do we know until they try. Hollywood seem instantly resisitant to even try to get the proper look to match the comic these days. That's all I want is for them to just try...and not go changing things just to change it. Just watch Kevin Smith talk about his dealings with Hollywood and Superman. It shows you just how out of touch they can be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk&playnext=1&list=PL8D0E8989E62E0358&index=8 NSFW!!! - Harsh Language!!!

You didn't personally offend me UE...mostly me just venting.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle here... My personal opinion is that they should make the effort to make an outfit look like the source material, but above all else one needs to ask whether or not something is practical in a quasi-realistic context. Using the examples you guys gave:

Gray and Blue Batman-Not Practical. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see comic batman in all black... artistically, it's just really boring. But in reality, if you're trying to hide in the shadows, colors like gold or even dark gray are impractical. Batman is supposed to be this ninja-like character, and it would upset that image to have him running around in gray.

Wingtips- As much as I would have liked to have had the nod to the original comics, I am honest enough to say that the wingtips serve no purpose whatsoever. They aren't radio receivers, like the flash's bolts, they don't add character to Steve the way Thor's wings do... and let's be honest, I don't see how wingtips even add to the spirit of the America the character represents. And while I think it would be a nice nod to the fans, the truth is enough people who aren't comic fans would find the addition ridiculous no matter how it was presented to them.

Wolverine- This one however, I have to give to C6. While I understood the decision to have all leather when the original movies came out, characters like Iron Man have done reasonably faithful renditions of the comic costumes in the last decade that look, if anything, better than the all-leather bodysuits of X-men 1-3. I have no doubt in my mind that if it weren't for the fact that Marvel Studios don't own those rights, you would see an awesome looking Wolverine costume without it looking ridiculous. I could totally see a wolverine mask looking awesome... in my mind, it would look vaguely similar to nite owl's mask in watchmen.

docdelorean88

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73493
Sorry bout that. This link went dead on me. My bad.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Courtnall6 on January 15, 2011, 01:34:59 AM
Quotebright yellow outfit with fins mask

There is a problem right here. Who said it had to be bright yellow. Why not use a darker yellow and desaturate it some? Why even use his yellow and blue costume at all when his brown and tan fits the chatacter so much better? As for his mask...how do we know until they try. Hollywood seem instantly resisitant to even try to get the proper look to match the comic these days. That's all I want is for them to just try...and not go changing things just to change it. Just watch Kevin Smith talk about his dealings with Hollywood and Superman. It shows you just how out of touch they can be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk&playnext=1&list=PL8D0E8989E62E0358&index=8 NSFW!!! - Harsh Language!!!

Quote from: Tomato on January 15, 2011, 02:31:01 AM
Wolverine- This one however, I have to give to C6. While I understood the decision to have all leather when the original movies came out, characters like Iron Man have done reasonably faithful renditions of the comic costumes in the last decade that look, if anything, better than the all-leather bodysuits of X-men 1-3. I have no doubt in my mind that if it weren't for the fact that Marvel Studios don't own those rights, you would see an awesome looking Wolverine costume without it looking ridiculous. I could totally see a wolverine mask looking awesome... in my mind, it would look vaguely similar to nite owl's mask in watchmen.

A minor thought here, there have been a few instances over the decades in comics where blue and gray should have been black.   The Batman example is a good one.  Superman's hair is another.  For those not paying attention, Superman use to be portrayed has having blue highlights in his hair (and may still be).  The reason has been to show contrast in certain areas where they were originally limited in doing so. 

My point regards the Wolverine costume and to a lesser extent some of the early Xmen outfit drawings I have seen.  There were some cases where the dark blues always seemed like they should have been black but were done in the same way as Superman's hair due to issues with contrast and shading.  Wolverine got a lighter blue than that dark blue that was used because it was meant to be a dark blue perhaps.

The real point here is there are a lot of instances where not taking into consideration why some costumes were done the way they were, even something as simple as coloring, can create a lot of horrid translations into another medium.  Budget doesn't even become a factor if you misunderstanding the reason for a design to begin with.

And basing the argument around projects from 30-40 years ago  and then blaming budget doesn't hold much water.  Even beyond budget, there was the issues of material available and even a look they were going for in the movie.  With Batman, they went for the look of what we being done in the comic in the late 50s and early 60s and used the materials they had readily available.  They didn't have the kinds of material that Burton or Nolan had for their movies.  As for the awe Reb Brown version of Captain America, Cap was being portrayed in the 1970s as being somewhat disillusioned for a while.  He loved his country but was confused about what it had became.  I seem to recall a series of stories that had him riding his motorcycle across America to see what and how much had changed while he was frozen.  I wager the costume people took one look at that and did what they could to translate that into a viable costume based on what they had.

JeyNyce

docdelorean88

Sorry if my link didn't work for anyone. Big thanks to Jey for posting a new link.

BWPS

Seems to still be a decent costume to me, though I can't say I'm really excited to see Spidey chase down a pickup truck after those Sandman fights.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Panther_Gunn

ugg....that just looks like a mess.  Unless some things get fixed post-production, I don't have a lot of hope for this one (costume at least.....so far).
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

deano_ue

a lot of fans are hoping it's the wrestling costume, because of a series from a few years ago called with great power. the costume in that is near identical to this one

docdelorean88

I had seen that too UE. Lets hope thats the case...if its not the Wrestling suit...well...ruh roh.

cmdrkoenig67

I highly doubt it's the wrestling outfit...And it's still a visual busy mess (IMHO)...Not to mention, fugly.

Dana

UnkoMan

Agreed. Stinker of a costume. I don't mind the boots, or spidey not having that belt thing but those little lines of colour all over? Ugh.

ow_tiobe_sb

*rolls over and goes back to sleep until 6 May 2011*

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

steamteck

I have zero interest in a movie mostly about pre uncle Ben death spidey myself. I want to get straight to the superheroing.

captmorgan72

More photos of Spidey's new costume. I absolutely hate it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73651&offset=10#commentLstTop

daglob

Quote from: captmorgan72 on January 30, 2011, 06:44:23 PM
More photos of Spidey's new costume. I absolutely hate it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73651&offset=10#commentLstTop

:lol:

That is so pathetic. Jeeze, look at the shoes...

I wonder if he got that from... ahem... an alternate lifestyle clothier.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It is similar enough to his classic look as to be instantly recognizable.

Other than that the nitpicky stuff has no interest to me.  It's fine, move on.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Figure Fan

It looks fine for the most part. Just looks a little too sleek/expensive for a teenager.

I'm just not all that excited for another Spider-Man movie.

JeyNyce

It reminds me of the Spidey outfit Ben Reilly wore.

Previsionary

I, uh... er... well, here are some new spidey pics: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125612-spider-man-set-pictures-galore

Apparently, his crotch is a weapon.  <_<
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/