News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Using Nifskope to Hex? Is this ok?

Started by AfghanAnt, April 06, 2010, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

So I'm been working on Classic and Dark X-Men Mimic. As my base I will be using Ink's Classic Mimic mesh however this mesh is based (originally?) Beyonder's. Would it be ok if I hexed things larger or alpha-enabling certain part (his visor)?

daglob

I think the prohibition is only on Beyonder's Doc Ock and winged meshes, and everyone else is fair game (at least I hope so).

Failed_Hero

At the end of the day all that matter is that I tried, right?

cmdrkoenig67

Fusion's meshes may also be in the no-hexing zone (since they're on the no-Skoping list)...Not sure on that, though.

Dana

Previsionary

Firstly... I love that you're giving the dark X-men love, AA. We seem to like so many of the same characters. Since Ink altered the mesh and got permission from B a long time ago, you may be fine, but you can always ask Beyonder himself and he'll say yay or nay (as others have done in the past). Only issue, Beyonder doesn't seem to be online as much as he used to (or at least we haven't spoken in months :().
Disappear when you least expe--

AfghanAnt

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on April 06, 2010, 10:34:29 PM
Fusion's meshes may also be in the no-hexing zone (since they're on the no-Skoping list)...Not sure on that, though.

Dana

See I think that's weird that Fusion's work is on the no-hexing zone considering there are tons of hexes of his work.

Quote from: Previsionary on April 06, 2010, 11:10:31 PM
Firstly... I love that you're giving the dark X-men love, AA. We seem to like so many of the same characters. Since Ink altered the mesh and got permission from B a long time ago, you may be fine, but you can always ask Beyonder himself and he'll say yay or nay (as others have done in the past). Only issue, Beyonder doesn't seem to be online as much as he used to (or at least we haven't spoken in months :().

You should do a mod with some of the new characters I'm working on. Even though I should get back to Secret Origins which is looking like it will never happen...

style

Hexes on Fusions meshes is ok but NOOOO skoping. There is a differance!
The Ultimate Fan!

Podmark

Yeah Fusion was ok with hexing, but said no to skoping. He never overrode the hexing permission so for now it's still ok.

As for wings on Ink's meshes I've wondered about that for a long time. Best bet is to ask Beyonder - either for a blanket statement or a specific case judgement. If you get a blanket answer let me know and I'll update the list. If you can't hear from him, it might be best to use another mesh.

As for hexing using nifskope - that should be fine, as long as you're only doing tasks that could be done using a hex editor. And I think just adding alphas would be alright, particularly if you're using it for the ol' multiple costumes on on mesh trick.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Kenn

Okay, I just had a synapse burn out...

Hex-editing is the most rudimentary way of altering a file short of tweaking ones and zeroes (and actually it is tweaking ones and zeroes, just in groups).  Most hex-editors can allow for "text" copying.  There's nothing that's done by skoping that can't be done by hex-editing.  Skoping is faster and easier and less prone to errors, but if one pays attention to what gets changed when you do anything in skoping, you can learn to do it without NifSkope...
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

Podmark

Quote from: Kenn on April 08, 2010, 01:52:14 PM
Okay, I just had a synapse burn out...

Hex-editing is the most rudimentary way of altering a file short of tweaking ones and zeroes (and actually it is tweaking ones and zeroes, just in groups).  Most hex-editors can allow for "text" copying.  There's nothing that's done by skoping that can't be done by hex-editing.  Skoping is faster and easier and less prone to errors, but if one pays attention to what gets changed when you do anything in skoping, you can learn to do it without NifSkope...

Could hex editing add parts of one mesh to another? That was the big thing that nifskope added, among other things.

Regardless there were certain expectations of what would be done using hexing techniques to meshes. Skoping has a different set of expectations.

Hexing was primarily used for turning off and on objects and moving them around. There were other things but I think that's what most of us think of when we say hexxing.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: AfghanAnt on April 07, 2010, 12:11:07 AM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on April 06, 2010, 10:34:29 PM

Dana

See I think that's weird that Fusion's work is on the no-hexing zone considering there are tons of hexes of his work.

Which is why I said they may be and that I wasn't sure, AA... :P

BTW...Tommyboy has a bunch of meshes with wings and even hexable (un-hideable) Mimic parts.

Dana

laughing paradox

I've grown very partial to Vertex's male_wing meshes, ever since I downloaded Detourne_me's skope of Hawkman on that mesh.

I just wish there was a female equivalent!