Anime Anyone?

Started by Mystik, August 09, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystik

dont know how many of you guys watch anime, but i was curious what good to you.

I recommend hitman reborn- get past the first 20 episodes and it will become epically addictive 
code geaas and death note are good too
yu yu hakushu is a classic

marhawkman

YuYu is great. I personally loved Those who hunt elves, Excel saga, and Martian Soccuessor Nadesico. But those are kinda old.

Podmark

Loved Code Geass and Death Note.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Jakew

Gantz, Basilisk, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop

GhostMachine

First season of Big O. (The second season is....meh; one long storyarc, mostly, and it has an ending that will leave you scratching your head bigtime)

marhawkman

YEah, I think they really meant to explain it in season 3 but didn't...

bat1987

I absolutely loved Neon Genesis Evangelion (although at the end of the series you will probably be like ?"WTF just happened?"), Cowboy Bebop is a must watch as well-great characters,great music,great story; another one I enjoyed watching was Fate Stay Night-beautiful series with awesome soundtrack. Samurai Champloo is so stylish and has some great fight scenes, so I would recommend that as well.

I recently watched Elfen Lied and while I liked the story and all, they overdid it with some really violent scenes.

Tomato

Slayers, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and Dragonball

JKCarrier

Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell

Kommando

Air, Appleseed (and Appleseed ex Machina), Azumanga Daioh, Chobits, Code Geass (and R2), Cowboy BeBop, Elfen Lied (this is an ADULT anime, not kid friendly at all), Ghost in the Shell (including Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG), K-ON!, Lucky ☆ Star, Macross Frontier, Macross Zero, Minami-ke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Noein (my favorite anime), Paprika, Perfect Blue (not kid friendly), Princess Mononoke, REC, Spirited Away, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl who Leapt through Time), Vexille

Currently watching:  Full Metal Alchemist (the first one, not Brotherhood), Ghost in the Shell 2nd GIG, Kanamemo (currently airing), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2, Saikano (this is on hold atm)

Kommando

Quote from: bat1987 on August 10, 2009, 07:44:19 AM
I recently watched Elfen Lied and while I liked the story and all, they overdid it with some really violent scenes.

Elfen Lied is pretty much defined by its violence.  That and the fact its ecchi make it not suitable for a younger audience.  Heck, it might not be suitable for an older audience.  But if you're like me and grew up on old Heavy Metal magazines (reading the likes of Corben, Moebius, Druillet, Vaughn Bode) then its not as shocking.  But yeah, this is one of the bloodiest animes ever.

thanoson

Dragonball Z, Wicked City, Akira, Fist of the North Star, Guyver, Starblazers, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakashu, Full Metal Alchemist, Samarai Champloo, the one with the Mankiller (he never used the sharp side of the blade), Project Ako.

Full Metal Alchemist has some pretty jacked up things in it for kids to watch. Very bloody and that scene with the little girl/dog wow. I was like, that is so wrong.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

vamp

Quote from: thanoson on August 10, 2009, 07:08:53 PM
the one with the Mankiller (he never used the sharp side of the blade), Project Ako.

I think you mean Rurouni Kenshin. Probably one of my all time favorites. (though the manga is waaaaaaay better)

Mystik

I'm really getting into hitman reborn- its the next dbz/naruto just with mafiaso instead of ninjas. if you like the anime thanoson and tomato suggested you will like this. (it will be in the )states soon

Soul eater is beautiful art
love gundam 00 and I'm not fan of gundam (or mechs )
dragon ball kai- dbz the right way

now that I've started watching all this subbed anime , I dont think I'll ever watch another eng dubbed anime (90% of them have ruined the original anime)
you can watch them at onepieceofbleach.com

Ajax

A great series is Black Lagoon. It has a very western feel to it, but the action and animation are top notch. I challenge someone who is a fan of action not to like this series after three episodes. Not for kids due to violence, language, and etc. I wish season three would come out already. >.<

Also liked Beck, rewatched it recently and the dub on this show is better than the sub because Funi got actors who can actually sing, cleaned up the engrish lyrics, and just generally put alot of effort into it. Besides rampant swearing this series is fairly low key, but is just well written.

Porco Rosso. Best Miyazaki movie ever. :)

Is it me or are a lot of the series people are mentioning in this thread are from the late 90's/early 2000's? Is this a sign that the boom years of anime are over. Or maybe it's cause Toonami is dead and the only stations that air anime nowadays do it so late at night that only a dedicated few stay up and watch it. Or is it the ease of access to fansubs?

gengoro

Or maybe we're getting old :( .  And why has nobody mentioned Berserk? :angry:

Jakew

In terms of movie recommendations: Ghost in The Shell, every Miyazaki movie, Ninja Scroll, Project A-Ko, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Perfect Blue, The Girl Who Jumped Through Time, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Gunsmith Cats, Akira, Space Adventure Cobra, Goku Midnight Eye, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and Wicked City.

Oh yeah, Cyber City Oedo 808 and Samurai Seven were two other cool TV series. But check out Samurai Champloo ... it's my all-time favourite anime series.

Kommando

I just started watching a new anime called Canaan.  Kind of got a Ghost in the Shell vibe off the first one, and I need to watch a few more before I really have an opinion.  However, its supposed to run 13 episodes so I have hopes of it being a nice short series.

GhostMachine

Samurai Deeper Kyo is pretty good. I was watching it and Black Lagoon on Encore Action when I had to drop several cable channels last year, so sadly I didn't get to see as much of those two shows as I wanted (fortunately, I did get to see pretty much all of Vandread).

I've been reading the Rosario + Vampire manga and want to see the anime, but I've no idea how the anime is compared to the manga as far as fanservice goes (the manga has too much of it, in my opinion, but I've seen other good series that have far worse *cough*Love Hina*cough*).

Wicked City, which thanoson mentioned, has quite a bit of hentai stuff and some gore in it, but it is still a movie I highly recommend. Obviously, not a movie you want children to watch.

There's also a movie I recommend called Roujin Z, and also watch Robot Carnival, if you can find it.

marhawkman

Blood and Blood+ are really good too, and relatively new(and thus easier to find).

House Quake

Quote from: gengoro on August 11, 2009, 12:53:50 AM
... And why has nobody mentioned Berserk? :angry:
I was just gong to
Quote from: Ajax on August 10, 2009, 10:54:40 PM
Is it me or are a lot of the series people are mentioning in this thread are from the late 90's/early 2000's? Is this a sign that the boom years of anime are over. Or maybe it's cause Toonami is dead and the only stations that air anime nowadays do it so late at night that only a dedicated few stay up and watch it. Or is it the ease of access to fansubs?

Anime is as strong s ever IMO.  With the net and access to many fan subs... proplr are watching anime they otherwise would never have seen.  I think you're just noticing a reflection of the age of some of us.  We have fond memories of anime which may seam... 'dated' to most younger viewers.

I'm currently watching 'X' (tv) and on going with 'Bleach' (japanese).  A few of my all time fav series would by Gantz, Berserk, Claymore, Helsing, Guyver (original series) Full Metal Panic and several others.   Movies include Vampire Hunter D 1 and 2, Fist of the Northstar, Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Ninja Scroll.

Tomato

Eh, I just think it probably has more to do with the fact that most of the people here are more outside the anime sphere... I'm vaguely attuned to some anime, but I am by no means as in tune with the culture as someone on an actual anime board would be, and most of these shows have filtered through the wall of general culture. Also, I think inevitably you'll find the first anime you've seen is among your favorite... Slayers and DBZ are probably my favorites, and that's less because they're TEH GREATEST EVAR, but more because they're the first I've seen. Slayers is awesome regardless however... I need to see what's being done with Revolution and Evolution-R

As for other anime I've seen... Aside from the unmentionables that I'd rather forget (Pokemon, Digimon, etc.) I've also seen Bleach, Inuyasha, and some of Ranma 1/2. I didn't list them earlier because I found them unremarkable... well, Bleach and Inuyasha were anyway. Ranma... I know people who will swear by it, but it never quite landed me, I guess. On the other hand, I missed Ruroni Kenshin, which I did enjoy, at least as far as I've gotten.

To be quite honest though Ajax... I'm actually surprised the anime chosen are as varied as they are. Normally, outside of an anime forum, what I've found in the past is that people endlessly gravitate toward two anime over and over. So yeah, you might be lamenting that the newer stuff hasn't filtered through, but I look at it like "Hey, the population isn't just a bunch of Naruto and DBZ fans!"

marhawkman

We're just carefully not mentioning that we watch those too. :)

Kommando

I can pretty much safely say that I have never seen an episode of Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, nor Bleach.  Most of what I have listed above is less than five years old (Chobits and Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa notwitstanding) and several are either new or a couple of years old at best(K-On!, Canaan, Minami-ke, Macross Frontier).  Though I suppose most wouldn't be interested in the Shoujo titles, though so far as slice of life anime goes - I think everyone should at least give Lucky Star a try (though it makes more sense if you've seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya first, as well as a few others like Code Geass, Air and probably a few I've missed). 

For a more serious story, I think Code Geass is a must see.  I've seen it described as Death Note with mecha, but its much more than that.  Zero and the Black Knight are what a terrorist organization should be (I'm looking at you, Cobra Commander).

marhawkman

Really? wow...

I've actually watched a lot of Mecha animes. The only one I can think of that suckd was a Voltron knock-off...

Cyber Burn

television series: s-cry-ed, trinity blood, samarai champloo.

movies: vampire hunter d, vampire hunter d: bloodlust, ninja scroll, sword of the stranger, akira, fist of the north star.

kind of hokey, but pretty good: zatch bell, yugioh gx.

Kommando

In addition to Canaan, Haruhi S2 and Kanamemo which are currently airing, I've started watching Needless (undecided on this one, though people with low attention spans should love it) and Pandora Hearts.  Out of those I really recommend Canaan and I'm starting to warm up to Pandora Hearts.

Kenn

My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Kenn on October 10, 2010, 03:44:27 AM
Ninja Dominicron.

That was out of left field... (Yes, I get the reference, but still...)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Alaric

Quote from: Kenn on October 10, 2010, 03:44:27 AM
Ninja Dominicron.

Heh. I was reading this thread purely to see if someone would give into the temptation...
Fear the "A"!!!