Possible Batman 3??

Started by JeyNyce, August 03, 2009, 04:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Reepicheep

I thought Nolan was up for one more. Would be quite depressing if he isn't.

I like this guy's thinking. I would be happy with a plot like that.

Talavar

Yikes, I hope this isn't the case.  Dark Victory is iffy at best, and has just too many villains for a film to do justice to any of them (learn the lessons of the previous Bat-series & Spider-man 3!).  Not to mention that, while Batman Begins & Dark Knight are partially influenced by Year One & the Long Halloween, as much of their stories & characters are taken from other sources.

I think Nolan was basically a sure things as director until two things happened: Heath Ledger died, and the film went on to be the second largest grossing film ever.  A third film is unlikely to top that success or live up to expectations, so it might be easier just to bow out first.  Now, the dump truck full of money Warner Bros will drive up to his lawn may change his mind, but it may not.

Mr. Hamrick

From what I have heard, Nolan is on record saying that he doesn't want to do a third unless there is a quality story there.  He is working on a movie called "Inception" currently and will not address the prospects of future projects till he is done with what he is currently working on.  Once that is done shooting, I suspect Nolan will look at his options.  I also suspect that we will see a third Batman film with Nolan at the helm.

Ajax

At comic-con Gary Oldman said they start filming Batman 3 in 2010.  :blink:

Talavar

Yeah, but then Oldman recanted, so either the WB told him off for talking, or he was guessing.

Ajax

Or he was telling the truth and this is all smoke and mirrors to keep fans from harping on the internet about every detail of Batman that comes out. We will only find out about the movie once it is announced at Comic-con two years from now.

Tomato

I think what needs to be remembered even if they do use Dark Victory (which I wouldn't say is set in stone... Year 1 and Long Halloween are pretty much Batman classics, and many of the themes they contain about Batman's beginnings were echoed before and after they came out... Batman Annual 14 being a great example of the Dent/Gordon/Batman triangle existing prior to LH. Dark Victory, on the other hand, wasn't at the same level... About the only really good theme from it was the intro of Dick Grayson, and that's something Nolan's basically written off.) is that it won't be the exact same story, and it certainly won't OD on villains... in fact, if you need proof of that, look at Long Halloween. Here's a book that has dozens of villains in it, but we only had 3 in TDK... and one was little more than a cameo role.

However, on the villain note... see, if I were trying to set myself up further down the line, I think I'd want to cram as many cameo villains into my first film as possible. Not major roles, mind you... because having 20+ villains all concocting a major plot together would be silly and overdone, but like... Introduce a Selina Kyle during one of Bruce Wayne's parties in one scene, or have Edward Nigma gatecrash, something to give the audience a preview of what is to come. One of the problems with movies at the moment, and I think this is why many start to fall apart at movie 3... you're not setting up ideas for the long term.

For instance, look at the Harry Potter series of movies. Here is a series that has gone through 6 very successful movies... and will very likely make it to 8 successful movies. It is certainly not because every movie has topped the last one, which everyone seems to expect of Batman now, but because the story is easily broken down into chunks, but never truly stops.

Mr. Hamrick

I think there is a good possibility that 2010 will see the casting of the third Batman movie but definitely not the release.  I could see maybe some build up for it ala the viral marketing campaign but I doubt the shooting and post would be done any sooner than the middle of 2011.  And WB would want a third Batman movie as a summer movie. 

Unless Nolan readies really quick after he finishes Inception or WB finds another director then we will not see a third bat movie till 2012.  Though, I can't help but feel that something is already going on behind the scenes.  It could be that Jonathan Nolan is already working on a Batman 3 script for his brother while his brother shoots Inception.

Figure Fan

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on August 04, 2009, 02:03:46 PM
I think there is a good possibility that 2010 will see the casting of the third Batman movie but definitely not the release.  I could see maybe some build up for it ala the viral marketing campaign but I doubt the shooting and post would be done any sooner than the middle of 2011.  And WB would want a third Batman movie as a summer movie. 

Unless Nolan readies really quick after he finishes Inception or WB finds another director then we will not see a third bat movie till 2012.  Though, I can't help but feel that something is already going on behind the scenes.  It could be that Jonathan Nolan is already working on a Batman 3 script for his brother while his brother shoots Inception.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you here. I doubt that there isn't any work being done on Batman 3, or even that there hasn't been any script progress. I could see it being released in the Summer of 2011, though.

Midnite

Batman 3 May Feature Riddler, Penguin, Mr. Freeze?and Robin

1. The Riddler is the primary villain and he figures out Batman's identity.
2. Arkham Asylum will figure prominently in the story.
3. Several classic villains will cameo, including the Penguin and Mr. Freeze (though as Dr. Fries, not as the supervillain).
4. Barbara Gordon will have a featured role.
5. Commissioner Gordon will mention Metropolis and possibly Lex Luthor.
6. Dick Grayson may be in the movie (though probably not as Robin).

JeyNyce

This can work out great if they find a good actor and a decent storyline for him

YES!!

3. Several classic villains will cameo, including the Penguin and Mr. Freeze (though as Dr. Fries, not as the supervillain).
Dr. Fries (cool) but instead of Penguin put Hugo Strange

The daughter or the wife?  The wife name was Barbara too

Yes!!

There's no need to put Grayson in the movie
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BlueBard

The Riddler's okay, I guess... but color me doubtful that he's a good movie villain for a Nolan film that fits the Dark Knight mold.  Because you can only convincingly do Riddler in one of two ways:  Over-The-Top-Frank-Gorshin, or the plotter whose schemes stretch Batman's intelligence and detective skills to their limits.  I'm not sure I want to sit through either of those.

But I'm at a loss for what would be a better option.  As much as I'd like to see Catwoman done (right) as Batman's counterpart, I can't think of a convincing storyline that would work.  The fight scenes and the sexual tension would work, but what motive would inspire a whole movie?  What other Batman villains could you bring into the real world?

I can understand mixed feelings about Robin... but he does figure very large in Batman's history in the comics.  Can you ignore that indefinitely?  Maybe.  I can't think of a good way to introduce that, either.  But please, please spare us from Batgirl.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

They didn't say Batgirl, they said Barbara Gordon.  Seeing she apparently wasn't even born in the last movie, and that Gordon's family is featured in both movies, she will probably be an infant or toddler who either get's kidnapped as part of a villain's scheme, or else becomes endangered or harmed in the course of it.  If that part is even right in the first place.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Talavar

Eh, that article seems highly suspect.  An unknown source, a whole lot of specifics about a movie whose script is only just beginning to be crafted, and a number of things (like Dick Grayson) who the director has publicly spoken against before.  Take this one with a good dose of salt is my opinion.

docdelorean88

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 11, 2010, 10:19:08 PM
They didn't say Batgirl, they said Barbara Gordon.  Seeing she apparently wasn't even born in the last movie, and that Gordon's family is featured in both movies, she will probably be an infant or toddler who either get's kidnapped as part of a villain's scheme, or else becomes endangered or harmed in the course of it.  If that part is even right in the first place.
Actually, Babs is Gordon's adopted daughter, named after Jim's wife Barbara. According to this, there is more to it, i'll see if i can track it down. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gordon#Bronze_Age
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Midnite on February 11, 2010, 01:33:08 AM
Batman 3 May Feature Riddler, Penguin, Mr. Freeze?and Robin

I call bull on at least parts.  Batman 3 will not begin being prepped for at least another two or three months I am guessing.  While some ideas were allegedly tossed around, nothing is anywhere near set in stone.  At best, there is just ideas for a treatment or a treatment.  There is definitely not a script.

And honestly, I would not mind seeing Nolan having some sort of hand in giving some advise into the handling of other DC characters if it means they can finally get some films developed around the DC characters.  And Nolan involved with be light years better than Singer.

GhostMachine

If Dick Grayson appears in any way shape or form, that probably means that if there's a Batman 4, Bale or Nolan won't be involved. I'm pretty sure one of them (or both) said he's done if they bring in Robin.

Frankly, I wish they'd either reveal that Harvey didn't really die and have him escape or use a villain that wasn't used in the old Tim Burton/Man whose name I refuse to type because he ruined the whole franchise films. But the only ones that would be decent and aren't mega-obscure are Deadshot (who may not be an option, if they are going to do a Suicide Squad or Secret Six movie) and Professor Hugo Strange. If this series wasn't seemingly trying to be more realistic, I'd say bring on Killer Croc or Man-Bat.....or go a bit obscure and use the Monk or the Wrath.

Gremlin

I'm extremely skeptical about this. The Riddler would be a marvelous villain, but fans've been saying that since Dark Knight came out. The rest seems riddled with conjecture.

Although, honestly, I wish Bale and Nolan weren't dead set against Robin. When written well, both Grayson and Drake are fantastic characters, and great counterparts to the darker, more violent side of Batman. (Todd's awful, but I liked how well he showed what Robin can't be, so there ya go.)

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: GhostMachine on February 12, 2010, 05:32:35 AM
If Dick Grayson appears in any way shape or form, that probably means that if there's a Batman 4, Bale or Nolan won't be involved. I'm pretty sure one of them (or both) said he's done if they bring in Robin.

I think both of them have insinuated it.  And I don't think either of them would do it anyways.  Bale was only signed on for three films.  Nolan will probably want to move on to other projects.

Frankly, I wish they'd either reveal that Harvey didn't really die and have him escape or use a villain that wasn't used in the old Tim Burton/Man whose name I refuse to type because he ruined the whole franchise films. But the only ones that would be decent and aren't mega-obscure are Deadshot (who may not be an option, if they are going to do a Suicide Squad or Secret Six movie) and Professor Hugo Strange. If this series wasn't seemingly trying to be more realistic, I'd say bring on Killer Croc or Man-Bat.....or go a bit obscure and use the Monk or the Wrath.

My favorites to be in the third movie have always been Hugo Strange, Catwoman, and maybe The Mad Hatter.  

With Catwoman being Selina Kyle and an antihero... not to mention to a way to undo that Halle Berry fiasco.  Perhaps even tie Selina into the larger DC Universe and have her spun off into her movie for real.  

Hugo Strange would be ideal to bring in given where Batman was left off at the end of the first movie.  The police are hunting Batman and it would make sense that they bring in someone to do a psychological profile of the guy.

The Mad Hatter is a long shot.  He wouldn't be a major villain.  It'd be maybe something like with Scarecrow in the first or second movie.  It'd also reestablish Arkahm as a functioning facility in Gotham.

As for The Riddler and Penguin, the only reason I could see them having minor roles in the third is that they were mentioned in the ARG marketing under their real names.  And really, the only reason I'd want to see them is that I was not really satisfied with how they were repped in the first movie.  Penguin hasn't been a major villain though in years.  He's been a behind the scenes player at best.

deano_ue

see thats where this "realism" approach has backed them into a corner, riddler and penguin are the only real big time villains left they can use.  guys like clayface, man-bat just don't fit into nolans view of the bat verse.

hell even poison ivy is thin ice.

BWPS

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on February 12, 2010, 02:23:03 PM

see thats where this "realism" approach has backed them into a corner, riddler and penguin are the only real big time villains left they can use.  guys like clayface, man-bat just don't fit into nolans view of the bat verse.

hell even poison ivy is thin ice.
I don't think they'll successfully follow up the greatest movie of all time which was so good in large part to the villains with a guy who leaves clues to solve his crimes or a fat guy who wears a tuxedos. In fact, Batman's only interesting enough villain that hasn't been done and isn't too ridiculous is Mr. Freeze. And even he doesn't really fit well with the way the last one ended. They need to continue to treat this series like a crime drama and have the villains changed to fit in well with it while still maintaining the superhero action movie feel, but secondary. He doesn't need super powered villains, he just needs super-evil villains. And Nolan is 2 for 2 on amazing movies and they seem to be smart enough to let him do what he wants and won't push him to use characters like Riddler and Robin that just don't fit.

Here's an idea I just came up with off the top of my head: Have Batman be revealed to be engaged previously. Then have her be the secret villain and kill a bunch of crime bosses while framing Batman and starting a relationship with him. Then also work the Joker in somehow. That gives him a mystery to solve, a romance interest, builds on Batman being seen as a bad guy, and I'm sure that would make an awesome movie.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BlueBard

I think Deadshot could work.  "Batman - Gotham Knight" was set between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight timeline.  Deadshot appears in the novel by Louise Simonson.  What if Batman 3 was a continuation of that where Deadshot is back and out to destroy Batman?  He frames him for an assassination, hunts him down, etc.

True, there is the pesky issue of film rights to muddy the waters, but that would be awesome.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteHere's an idea I just came up with off the top of my head: Have Batman be revealed to be engaged previously. Then have her be the secret villain and kill a bunch of crime bosses while framing Batman and starting a relationship with him. Then also work the Joker in somehow. That gives him a mystery to solve, a romance interest, builds on Batman being seen as a bad guy, and I'm sure that would make an awesome movie.

I do hope you're joking because that exact movie with that exact plot has been done before.  Mask of the Phantasm, I mean.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 11, 2010, 10:19:08 PM
They didn't say Batgirl, they said Barbara Gordon.  Seeing she apparently wasn't even born in the last movie, and that Gordon's family is featured in both movies, she will probably be an infant or toddler who either get's kidnapped as part of a villain's scheme, or else becomes endangered or harmed in the course of it.
Then who was the little girl in The Dark Knight? What's her name?
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Tomato

This thread amuses me. Really guys, Robin showing up in a Nolan film? Mr. Freeze is a credible villain that would fit perfectly in the next movie? Making a movie as a sequel to a tie-in book?

Whatever you guys are taking, keep it up. Next I'll be hearing that Quilt man is a lock for the next movie or that we'll have a time machine appear out of nowhere carrying a bow-tie wearing time lord.

thalaw2

I think Rash Al Ghul would be good villain for this movie.  The occult fits into reality quite well.
革命不会被电视转播

Shogunn2517

So is anyone else at least a little suspicious that these new murmors of a third Batman movie and Nolan mentoring a new Superman movie.... are related?

GhostMachine

Quote from: thalaw2 on February 13, 2010, 02:58:54 AM
I think Rash Al Ghul would be good villain for this movie.  The occult fits into reality quite well.

He was the villain in Batman Begins!

steamteck

The Wrath ( The player on the other side) would work very well in the Nolanverse. To the general public he's no more obscure than Ras was really.