Started by JeyNyce, August 03, 2009, 04:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Quote from: JeyNyce on February 16, 2010, 08:20:43 PM
Here are some ways to put Catwoman in the movie:

1 - She can be the man hating type and start killing off guys from the mob
2 - Can be the S/M type and obsessed with Batman
3 - Be an extreme chick and wants Batman attention
4 - Or they can go with the year one story line.

Noooo thank you.  I hope they stay far, far away from the Year One version.  I'd like to see her in, imagine this, the TAS vein.  She should be someone who crosses between Bruce's circles, but as Wayne and Batman.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2010, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on February 16, 2010, 08:20:43 PM
Here are some ways to put Catwoman in the movie:

1 - She can be the man hating type and start killing off guys from the mob
2 - Can be the S/M type and obsessed with Batman
3 - Be an extreme chick and wants Batman attention
4 - Or they can go with the year one story line.

Noooo thank you.  I hope they stay far, far away from the Year One version.  I'd like to see her in, imagine this, the TAS vein.  She should be someone who crosses between Bruce's circles, but as Wayne and Batman.

Sure, she can cross paths with Bruce & Bats, but she would need some sort of back story.  Joker got away with no back story because he's crazy.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

I'd like to see either the original story or, much more preferably, a TAS-type one.  The original used the identity as a way to feel empowered and escape from an abusive husband...a poignant motivation, but one that leaves the character a bit too justified.  The TAS version was a lawyer and something of a woman-about-town who was an animal rights activist.  She used the Catwoman identity to aid that concern, but even more than that, she did it to feel alive.  She'd make a nice contrast to Bats, who does what he does because he believes its right, putting others before himself.  She would be someone who does what she does because she puts herself above others.  She's a good person at heart, but wrapped up in herself.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2010, 10:33:10 PM
I'd like to see either the original story or, much more preferably, a TAS-type one.  The original used the identity as a way to feel empowered and escape from an abusive husband...a poignant motivation, but one that leaves the character a bit too justified.  The TAS version was a lawyer and something of a woman-about-town who was an animal rights activist.  She used the Catwoman identity to aid that concern, but even more than that, she did it to feel alive.  She'd make a nice contrast to Bats, who does what he does because he believes its right, putting others before himself.  She would be someone who does what she does because she puts herself above others.  She's a good person at heart, but wrapped up in herself.

the problem with the TAS version is that it's much different than her comic book origin, Benton.  Of course, I doubt you care much for the comic book version of the character.

In the comic, Selina Kyle was an orphan who was brought up on the streets.  Depending on which version of that, she was at one point a "woman of the night" or may have been the illegitimate daughter of Carmine Falcone. 

Regardless, she is a jewel thief.  She is not a lawyer.  She is not an animal rights activist funding her cause through stealing.  She originally for the money first and for the thrill second.  The Catwoman identity was more for the thrill and to get the attention of Batman.  The TAS version of her irked me the same way that the Tim Burton version of her irked me.  (And the Tim Burton version of The Penguin infuriated me worse.)

I am all for a "fresh interpretation" of the character visually.   I'll even go with some tweaking to the character usually.  But there are some things that should not be changed about certain characters. 

I would love to see Catwoman come off like a mix of the girls from "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" (the four thieves played by Eliza Dushku, Shannon Elizabeth, Kevin Smith's wife (whose name I forget) and Ali Larter) with regards to style and maybe some other factors and Danny Ocean (yes, the Clooney version.) in that she is a brilliant planner and is classy despite her background.

BentonGrey

Not exactly Mr. Hammick, that was her origin as reinvented sometime in the 80's or later.  As I said, the original story had her as a battered wife living out a power fantasy.  After that, she was a jewel thief of somewhat murky origins who was the standard femme fatale of the day, classy, crafty, and out for herself.  The TAS version changed her no more than those origins you have cited.  The basic idea of the TAS version, at least after that initial episode, was that she was a thrill seeker.  The animals were a good cause for her to be involved in, but she was Catwoman for herself first and foremost.

Ohh, actually it's worth noting that her first origin was TECHNICALLY that she got bumped on the head and turned evil, but that was quickly done away with.

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 17, 2010, 12:30:23 AM
I am all for a "fresh interpretation" of the character visually.   I'll even go with some tweaking to the character usually.  But there are some things that should not be changed about certain characters. 

I agree, especially when they've finally gotten it right, outside of the comics. ;)
God Bless

BlueBard

I fail to see where any of those Catwoman origins would carry a movie as the main antagonist, without reinventing her to the point where there is no point.

The real power of Catwoman as a character is in the tension she creates in Batman. 

Selina is mysterious, attractive, intelligent, likeable, not awed by wealth, and witty... a near-perfect match for Bruce Wayne.

Catwoman is clever, sensual, agile, a fighter, a thief, and a worthy opponent for Batman who is able to hold her own against him.  He is forced to pursue her because she is a criminal, and this pursuit forces him to consider the attraction he feels toward her. 

This tension can exist because she is not a murderess.  Not that she can't kill, but that she is not indifferent or addicted to killing.  Were she to cross that line, the tension disappears and she becomes simply one more murderer who needs to be put away for the sake of Gotham City and for the sake of the Batman's obsession.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 17, 2010, 01:04:44 AM
I agree, especially when they've finally gotten it right, outside of the comics. ;)

We will have to agree to disagree there.  "Gotten it right outside of comics?"  I presume you mean TAS.  The character was a comic character before she was an animated character.  I would hardly call the TAS or any animated or movie version "more right" over the comic where the character originated.    I personally didn't care for the TAS version of her.

The suggestions I used were mid-80s and early-90s, if I recall.  The latest two retcons of the character as done.  (The mid 80s thing was done both circa Frank Miller years and then retooled in Zero Hour and involved the orphan thing and other activities she did on the street.  The maybe an illegitimate daughter of Falcone was created during Dark Victory and has been expanded on.  The Zero Hour origin and the stuff from Dark Victory are pretty much cannon now.) 

Basically, there have been three version of the character to coincide with the Golden, Silver and Modern Age.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly BlueBard.  Personally, I think Catwoman should be played as the secondary villain, a femme fetale type character with who Batman is attracted to on one level but is sworn to take her in because she is a thief.  

I've got a list of villains that I would love to see and would fit nicely into Nolan's style.  I think I have mentioned them elsewhere.  I had an ingenious idea for The Riddler (that includes a few casting notes) but it's something that I don't think would be done.  It'd leave room for Hugo Strange and Catwoman to be secondary villains (with Catwoman in the femme fatale role)

Regardless, Catwoman is more an of anti-hero now than a villain anyways.  An idea that I think should be put forth in the movie.

Trelau

I still have a really hard time imagining cat woman fitting in nolan's universe. i'm not talking about backstory or characterisation, just about her looks.
Batman has a costume that is more a military suit in desguise than a costume.
Joker just had make-up, and the bank robber with a clown mask was enough to convince people that this could happen.
But catwoman? No matter what costume i give her i still thinks she looks "off": what would justify it? sure, you can give a her a black body suit to make her a jewel thief; but that as far as believability goes.
Plus, the best scene any catwoman can get is the confrontation with batman on a roof top. This works great in Burton's gothic gotham, but in nolan there's skyscrapper everywhere.
Then again it would be nice to have one woman-character done right in Nolan's version of batman.
I still think Thalia is a better candidate than catwoman for a love interest/secondary villain

BlueBard

Quote from: Trelau on February 17, 2010, 01:37:01 PM
I still have a really hard time imagining cat woman fitting in nolan's universe. i'm not talking about backstory or characterisation, just about her looks.
Batman has a costume that is more a military suit in desguise than a costume.
{snip}
But catwoman? No matter what costume i give her i still thinks she looks "off": what would justify it? sure, you can give a her a black body suit to make her a jewel thief; but that as far as believability goes.
Plus, the best scene any catwoman can get is the confrontation with batman on a roof top. This works great in Burton's gothic gotham, but in nolan there's skyscrapper everywhere.

I think Catwoman's outfit would be part function and part whimsy.  Obviously she's not going to be wearing advanced body armor like Batman.  She doesn't have Bruce Wayne's resources.  But she's going to be outfitted for stealth and she's going to have defenses, her own bag or utility-belt of tricks.  The claws would be as much tools as weapons, mainly for scaling walls, cutting glass and such.  Other things she uses will have been stolen or purchased with stolen money.  Catwoman would be the moniker the press labels her with and she responds by making her outfit more catlike.

As to rooftop confrontations, Batman has to function in and among the skyscrapers just as Catwoman would.  No city is made up of all skyscrapers and that would include Gotham City, so there should be plenty of relatively lower rooftops.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Trelau

I like the idea of catwoman changing her outifit because of the press, that i could accept more than a thief who just wants to wear cat ears.
The roof top confrontation...if there's no gargoyle and no glass window behind them, meh.

edit: thats what i'm talking about
Spoiler

murs47

I think Jason Todd should be introduced in the film. If he were to become the Red Hood in a later film he could definitely be the main villain. ^_^

Trelau

Wowwowow calm down. Nolan didn't even want to make ? third movie, and you're hoping there'll be a fourth?

Talavar

Does anyone doubt that there'll be a fourth?  Provided the third doesn't grossly crap the bed, there'll be a fourth, with Nolan or without.  Movie studios aren't in the habit of saying, "no, I'd rather we didn't make vast sums of money today."

Trelau

Without Nolan means another reboot, since Bale won't risk his career for a new guy. And as far as i'm concern Joel Schumacher never did any batman movies. those were just horrible-horrible dreams. So no, there won't be a batman 4, but there may be an eight movie marketed through the name of batman.

murs47

I doubt they'd re-boot with the amount of success($) the first two films have generated. If anything thing they'll try and find someone with a style that fits Nolan's to replace him. And that's if Nolan decides not to do anymore Batman flicks. Large sums of money usually change a person's mind. ;)

BentonGrey

Quote from: murs47 on February 17, 2010, 09:15:59 PM
I doubt they'd re-boot with the amount of success($) the first two films have generated. If anything thing they'll try and find someone with a style that fits Nolan's to replace him. And that's if Nolan decides not to do anymore Batman flicks. Large sums of money usually change a person's mind. ;)

They already have.  He originally wasn't going to do a third one. ;)
God Bless

Talavar

Quote from: Trelau on February 17, 2010, 07:58:07 PM
Without Nolan means another reboot, since Bale won't risk his career for a new guy. And as far as i'm concern Joel Schumacher never did any batman movies. those were just horrible-horrible dreams. So no, there won't be a batman 4, but there may be an eight movie marketed through the name of batman.

No Nolan and even no Bale do not necessarily mean another reboot, though given the current, reboot-happy atmosphere of movie studios, it very well could.