News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Brutal Legend

Started by NomadX, July 09, 2009, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NomadX

At first I had no interest in this title, not being a huge Jack Black fan. But after seeing the 16 min video playthrough, I've changed my mind. It doesn't help that I'm a sucker for open world games. Also, this game looks to have some elements from Overlord (commanding a group of minions), and I loved Overlord.

MJB

Where could one find the playthrough video?

>>EDIT<<

Found it on Kotaku.com. The preview was awesome. Pure awesome. I was jazzed for this game before but after watching that demo I gotta say I'll probably pre-order this ASAP. Which is something I almost never do.

BWPS

I really like a lot of Jack Black stuff and I really love a lot of Tim Schafer stuff. This game will be both fun and funny, I can almost guarantee that.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

NomadX

If you preorder from Gamestop/Ebgames, you get an exclusive Tenacious D in-game guitar. It's supposed to have different effects and sounds. And now that I looked up the release date for this game, I'm sad. It comes out in October. Sorry for the early topic  :wacko:

MJB

One: Anything that evolves Tenacious D is gold in my book. Period.

Two: The game comes out in ROCKtober. IMO the game can't come out soon enough and any topic posted about it is more than welcome. No matter how early it is.

:jeyrox :kommandorox

TheMarvell

Tim Schaffer's name is enough to have me interested. I hope this does well. Although I never got a chance to play Psychonauts, I've heard nothing but great things about it, and it's a shame that sold so poorly. Will definitely be checking this game out...possibly not for the full $60 price tag, but we'll see.

TheMarvell

has anyone played the demo yet? It is pretty damn awesome. If you have any interest in the game at all, CHECK OUT THE DEMO. It's really funny and a blast to play, and you even get to fight a boss! I really want this game now, but I've had my heart set on Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition which comes out the same day. I haven't played Fallout yet, so I figure this was the best time.

I suppose I could get both, but then one would end up sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

lugaru

It better come out on PC as a port at some point, because otherwise I just wont play it (not a boycott, I dont buy consoles, very little disposable income). I'm a huge metalhead and I do consider a lot of what is in that game to be part of my roots, especially the Judas Priest related stuff. I hope they worked "Painkiller" in there somewhere.

Glitch Girl

IGN Review - written & video

Short version: they like it.  A lot.

(PS: Check out the baddie on page 2)

Have to admit, while I like Jack Black, Tim Schaffer is the name that sells it for me.  All his games are visual treats and have wonderful gameplay.  This is shaping up to be no exception.  I plan on getting it at some point, but it'll have to be after I get a more up-to-date console or there's a PC version.

(PPS: sweet...
QuoteHeaded up by Doviculus, the main villain of Brutal Legend, the Tainted Coil features the most horrific creatures in multiplayer. Doviculus is voiced by the brilliant Tim Curry, so you may want to choose this faction simply to hear Curry's quips during battle.
)  
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

TheMarvell

I really want this, but I had to get Fallout 3 first.

lugaru

Quote from: TheMarvell on October 15, 2009, 10:39:38 PM

Make sure you get it on PC if you can, the mod community is killer. I have not been around there since my old computer died and I wont be building a new one until next month but I've made some good mods (mostly radio stations) and people have made hundreds of weapons, armors and other things.

TheMarvell

Quote from: lugaru on October 17, 2009, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: TheMarvell on October 15, 2009, 10:39:38 PM

Make sure you get it on PC if you can, the mod community is killer. I have not been around there since my old computer died and I wont be building a new one until next month but I've made some good mods (mostly radio stations) and people have made hundreds of weapons, armors and other things.

thanks for the heads up, but my PC wouldn't be able to handle it. So, I got the GotY edition for the 360. It's definitely a different type of game for me. I'm used to a much more linear path with guidelines, but so far, once you get past the tutorial level, they just kinda throw you out there.

but back to the topic at hand, has anyone picked up Brutal Legend yet? It's getting surprisingly positive reviews, but the user consensus is a bit more mixed.

MJB

Picked this up a week ago and I'm loving every minute of it. I recommend it.

NomadX

Make sure to take advantage of the free (for two weeks on PSN) DLC for the game.

TheMarvell

I finally got this game since I found it for $20. I don't know if it was a good idea to play this shortly after playing Mass Effect 2 though. I had a day off here and pretty much played through most of the main quest already. I'm on what I think is the second to last mission, and I can't believe how short it is.

However, I just don't find it very fun. The humor and charm is there, and it has an awesome game world that's so unique. But the RTS elements, which I'm open to, just aren't all that fun or exciting to me. Plus, it pisses me off that the single player is padded with filler: lots, and lots of item hunting and repetitive side quests. I think about Assassin's Creed 2, which has just as many side quests and some item hunting, yet the main quest is about 15 to 20 hours long, while BL is between 5 and 8 hours.

I like it for its uniqueness alone, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $20 for this. I just wish they would have made it more of a hack-n-slash and made the campaign a lot longer with a lot less item hunting filler. Oh well. :(