my brute

Started by bearded, April 27, 2009, 06:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 10, 2009, 12:49:29 AM
Starting to encounter the weird weapons.  I have fought brutes who have: 
-broken tennis racket
-computer keyboard
-leek (or something in the onion family)
-small pink chick (though he never used it on me)
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 12, 2009, 02:09:53 PM
Add to weird weapons:
-Noodle Bowl
-Trombone

I've been hit with a tennis racket, a trumpet (could be a trombone, but I didn't think I saw a slide), and someone threw some small pink things at me (more of a lob throw than a knife throw).  I've also been hit with a fan, but at least that has some historical reference to being a weapon.  I've seen a couple of other things in people's "armory" that they never used on me that looked very non-standard.

Quote from: daerdevil on June 15, 2009, 06:38:45 PM
Anyone ranked yet?   The furthest I've made in a tourney is the 5th round.

One of my "students" made it to the 6th round today.  Of course, he was the one that started out with a bear.  :thumbup:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BlueBard

STO/CO: @bluegeek

USAgent

I am only a level 4 with my weakling, but I am in too!
http://usagent.mybrute.com

Trying to join the clan but I must need appoval.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on June 28, 2009, 03:01:08 AM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 10, 2009, 12:49:29 AM
Starting to encounter the weird weapons.  I have fought brutes who have: 
-broken tennis racket
-computer keyboard
-leek (or something in the onion family)
-small pink chick (though he never used it on me)
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 12, 2009, 02:09:53 PM
Add to weird weapons:
-Noodle Bowl
-Trombone

I've been hit with a tennis racket, a trumpet (could be a trombone, but I didn't think I saw a slide), and someone threw some small pink things at me (more of a lob throw than a knife throw).  I've also been hit with a fan, but at least that has some historical reference to being a weapon.

I've now also been hit with a frying pan, and the leek.  However, I guess to make up for that, one of my "students" just got the leek as a weapon!   :lol:

My current unfavorite special ability for an opponent to have is Hypnosis - it makes any animal companions you have switch sides.  This first got used on my "student" that started with the bear....and the opponent already had a bear!  :o  Not pretty.  :(

BlueBard

Having now participated, I'm starting to wonder what the point is.  You have no control over any part of this game except the name of your brute, what they look like, how often you play, who you fight, and how many people you manage to con into signing up as your pupil. 

I can't see that there's anything stopping you from creating an unlimited number of pupils yourself, if you want.  I created Angri-La as a pupil, and that brute contributes to Blue-Bash's experience points.  Methinks I'll look for the ToS...

It's visually fun to watch for now, but it's going to get old real fast.

BlueBard

Hm.  Can't find a ToS, if such a thing exists.  And experimentation suggests I can create as many pupils as I want.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: BlueBard on July 06, 2009, 06:42:51 PM
Hm.  Can't find a ToS, if such a thing exists.  And experimentation suggests I can create as many pupils as I want.

Of course, you have to play them if they're going to help your main character advance . . . I'd already thought of that strategy, but frankly don't enjoy the game so much to put myself through running the cycle daily.  As it is, my one character is 90 seconds of brainless fun a day, which is plenty.

But I agree.  If we could just pick our bonuses when we level up, it would bring a lot more investment to the character and game.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

daerdevil

But, alas, the whole point of the game is that there is no point.  It's just a nice little diversion.  You could create an endless army of pupils, but that would be way too time consuming.  I'm guessing it's more set up for folks that like to post the link to their characters on community sites kind of like those vampire games you see on many forums. 

But the real control you have is over who to fight...a bit of a rock, scissors, and paper choice.  The random powers/stats are a bit of a mixed blessing.  It keeps everyone from making that "perfect build" uber tank mage that almost every customizable game suffers from.  No, this one is RPG lite, and is a pleasant way to waste 5 minutes a day (for 2 characters).

The game is lacking options in XP earning.  It'd be nice if you could earn say 3 XP for fighting a higher level character; or 1 XP for surviving an attack (of course that'd encourage finding the 3 characters you could always beat and spamming them every day); or maybe some other XP opportunity like Clan battles.  At the end of the day tho, it's not all that consuming, which is probably better for me.

JKCarrier

Quote from: BlueBard on July 06, 2009, 06:42:51 PM
Hm.  Can't find a ToS, if such a thing exists.  And experimentation suggests I can create as many pupils as I want.

I made two pupils for my main character, but only the first one gives their "master" any xp bonus when they level up.

BlueBard

FYI... for anyone playing who wonders what all of those weapons and bonuses do...

http://mybrute.wikia.com/

daerdevil

Timely info.  I almost got beat by a coffee cup wielding brute. 

tommyboy

I got to level 14 and was "rewarded" by about 5 points of endurance, which is exactly what my last 4 or 5 level ups have gotten.
So I think I've had enough, and will not bother with the long slog to 15 and maybe 5 points on speed or endurance. It was moderate fun to start with, but now seems like a rather pointless grind for which I get bupkis.

BlueBard

Quote from: tommyboy on July 22, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
I got to level 14 and was "rewarded" by about 5 points of endurance, which is exactly what my last 4 or 5 level ups have gotten.
So I think I've had enough, and will not bother with the long slog to 15 and maybe 5 points on speed or endurance. It was moderate fun to start with, but now seems like a rather pointless grind for which I get bupkis.

Agreed.  It's just another time-waster.  It's sole-purpose is to suck in players who might switch over to one of the games where the company just might make some money.

But, it's an amusing little time-waster for the time being.

daerdevil

Arghhh!!!  Just made level 13 and got 1 health point and a net.  What a rip. 

Glitch Girl

FYI: Though my online time has been sporatic lately, I am still checking in periodically to see if there are new entries into the Clan.  USAgent, I never saw your entry there, so if you're still interested, try joining again.  We're at 26 members if anyone's curious. 

My character FINALLY got something other than a lousy stat boost leveling up.  Sure it's just thick skin, but after too many levels of crud, I'm glad to get anything.  Incidentally, I took over one of my pupils that didn't have a password and wasn't doing anything for weeks on end, leveled her up a bit and ended up with a bear.  whoah.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BlueBard

I'm playing around with a few brutes to fill the time (since the fights are over with so fast...).  For the most part I've gotten a decent mix of weapons and bonuses.  Not too many really good stat boosts, but the right combination seems to work very well.

Take for example Blue-Bash's pupil, Angri-La.  Strength and Speed are blah, but she got a one-time boost in agility with Feline Agility.  She also wound up with Martial Arts and Tornado of Blows.  For weapons, she got a broadsword (decent), mastadon bone (decent), and a flail (nice!).  Add in good health points, and she's got a decent package.

She's able to dodge blows, does fair damage unarmed.  But when she hauls out that flail, she does a lot of damage and Tornado of Blows allows her an increased chance of multihit.  If she multihits with that flail, she can ruin another brute's day real fast.

daerdevil

Nice perk, that flail is.  Makes short work of my brutes all the time.  I've yet to snag anything too useful with my handful of "perfect build" attempts.  Made a half dozen and the best I could do was one that got "Bumps" early, but nothing else (still seems to lose every match anyways).

daerdevil

Frankenskank goes to level 14!
Strength improved.

Whoo hoo.  Just went from winning 80% of my fights to loosing 100%  Just what I needed +1 Strength.  Didn't want a Bear like everyone else I seem to encounter.  Oh well, at least I know that you can start a match, then go back to your cell to view the results.  Nothing worse than having to sit through an arse whoopin.

Panther_Gunn

Has anybody gotten a ranking or a title yet?  My "student" with the bear just popped up with one of each, and it doesn't seem to be tied to # of wins, as there's others in the clan that have more.  Perhaps it's a %-age of wins?  I don't think he got too extra far in the last tourny he was in.  :unsure:

Glitch Girl

My understanding is that titles ONLY come from the tournaments.  You have to get to a certain tier in order to get one, but if your student had a bear, maybe he got to the 64th precentile or so (I think that's where titles start)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

daerdevil

Yep, it's all tourney based.  You have to get to the final 1024 or 11 hrs in.  I think I usually get booted by hour 5.

Uncle Yuan

I hate it when an upgrade makes you worse!  I got the club recently and it sucks - slow, no chance to multi hit, throw or block.  If my Brute grabs it he almost always looses - can't hit with it and the other guy just carves him up.

What we need is a really bright person to make a slightly more customizable variation of the game.  I'd like to see something where you can actually choose your upgrade when you level.  Maybe set up some sort of experience point/point buy advancement system.  And have the option to bank your XP for a while to save up for something huge.  I don't care so much about controlling the fight, but it would be very cool to be able to guide your upgrades.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

bearded

try urban rivals, it sort of feels the same, but you get to play as much as you like!
has anyone been able to log onto mybrute?  i haven't in days.

Panther_Gunn

Has anyone noticed that they've been having some kind of server issues lately?  Unavailability, tournys that don't start for days on end.  Wonder if it's gotten bigger than they expected.

On a similar subject, I'm seeing lots of brutes with seemingly random characters for names.  My guess is some kind of bot to register tons of characters as someone's students, to boost his own levels artificially.  Don't think I care for that kind of sportsmanship.

Lord Elcorion

i've decided to jump on in here.

http://lord-elcorion.mybrute.com

my first level up gave me an endurance increase and a baton, and i started out with sabotage in my abilities

i've also just gone to join the clan, pending approval
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/lordelcorion/elcorionbattlearmor.gif[/img]"By the Lords of the Arcane!"[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/lordelcorion/nanoElcorion.gif[/img]
thanks to everyone who've made me stuff, or included my avatar in something.

Glitch Girl

You're approved Lord Elcorion.  Sorry I haven't checked in on my account in a while.  Got frustrated with so many crappy upgrades (or lack thereof) but I'll try to check in more often.

@PantherGunn: at one point when I was looking for an explanation on what all the little power icons meant, I found a couple of sites that showed how to cheat at it so I'm not surprised one bit.  It's a shame really. 
-Glitch Girl