Marvel New York Megamap Mod (say that 10 times quickly..)

Started by tommyboy, February 18, 2009, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboy

Another bonus map: Big_Island.
I haven't fully populated it yet, so it's a bit sparse on trees and such, but you can get the general idea..
top view

Blackjack takes a dip..

BentonGrey

Awesome!  Very nice Tommy!  I can definitely see that coming in handy with Aquaman. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Johnny Patches

i been ready to roll with this bad boy  :thumbup:
dual quad, turbo changed nitro pc rules  :lol:

cmdrkoenig67

Wow! :blink:  Great map, Tom!  Do the characters make the water walk sounds when they enter the water area (I mean, is the water terrain set as being water?)?

Dana

tommyboy

It is set as water. I'll have to check if the correct sounds play, as I usually have my sound turned down to spare my neighbours.
Better beaches and more plants and rocks;

I'm hoping that I can get an animated texture on the beach to have the waves lapping at the shore. Dunno if it will work well or not yet.

cmdrkoenig67

tommyboy

Feh.
I've created an IFL and exported with it applied to the shore. It works in Max, it works in NifSkope, but in game, it only shows one texture instead of rotating between three as it should.
I also tried animating the "water" plane to rise and fall, as an alternate way of getting waves, but this too fails to show up in-game.
Presumably Terrain is treated differently somehow to other game objects, as it appears to neither allow animation of geometry, or textures.
Unless I've done something wrong.
Anyone know of any terrain which IS animated or uses the IFL animated textures?

yell0w_lantern

Yellow Lantern smash!

tommyboy

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on February 24, 2009, 06:07:40 PM
The lava pit in the rescue bullet level is animated.

Thanks.
I'm not seeing how its animated in nifskope though. It doesn't appear to use IFLs.
I even made a separate "shore" object, and placed it in the map, still no animation in the textures...
I'll just play some more then give up.

TaskMasterX

tommyboy

Now available at my site. Un rar to it's own folder and run as a mod;
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/other%20meshes%207.html
As an alternative, I have uploaded it to Mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c762357f31aa745c5bf1f12f1ff3f30a8746a20c6f5f4a465621d66e282a0ee8
Download the three parts and the "create" file.
Run the "create" file. This creates an RAR (of 213Mb).
Unpack this to its own directory (called "maps") wherever ffv3r is installed.
Then create an FFX enabled shortcut to play the Mod (I give an example of it in the readme).
If you don't know what an "rar" file is, ask Google, not me.
If you don't know how to create a shortcut, Google is your friend, not me.

As for the Mod and what's in it?
It is in essence a big collection of content with no story whatsoever.
It's in the format of a Mod because that is easier for me to see that it works, and so all the needed resources for every map are available.
It should be considered a "beta", unfinished, unpolished product. Most of the Maps are use-able as is, but could be better. It is unlikely that I will fix any problems with them, or bugs.
Here is the readme/credits.txt, so you get an idea whats in it.
Spoiler

25/feb/2009
This Mod is a collection of Maps made by tommyboy, as well as much of FFX and and the converted-to-ffv3r FF buildings that came in the FFX mappack.
The Maps are largely unfinished, so this is a Beta, resource type thing, not a polished flawless product.
It is for ffv3r, NOT for FF. There will be a seperate FF version later

Contents:
in missions you will find the following maps;
marvel_new_york = the big one. NYC with marvel buildings. Very big, over 25000 objects to load. Not for puny systems.
Moon = a big moon map. Not much on it, just a few craters built in.
Mars = a big mars map. Not much on it, just a few craters built in.(yes, it's just a retexture of the moon map..).
big_island = a large island surrounded by water, with lots of trees.
big_island_jungle = a large island surrounded by water, with lots and lots and lots of trees.Not for puny systems.
huge_city = a smaller version of the marvel new york map, approx 2/3 of the size. Still huge, but less so. about 12000 objects IIRC.
helicarrier_mission = by GogglesPizanno, objects by me. The Helicarrier. As a Map. To play on.
Megacity_ffv3r = the big one. Again. No marvel stuff, and uses about 50% ffv3r buildings as opposed to ff ones. very much unfinished.

Credits:
Due to the delay between starting this and releasing it, there may be some omission of credits, or mis-crediting, if so, please let me know so that I can correct it.

All original buildings by Irrational, converted by Renegade and/or GogglesPizanno.

FFX by Dr.Mike2000, M25, Stumpy, TaskmasterX, Epimethee, Kuertee, and others.

Daily Bugle building by OW_TIOBE_SB. Thanks for that and the other, as yet unimplemented, buildings.

Avengers Mansion, Quinjet, Lady Liberty, Chrysler Bldg, Flatiron Bldg, Madison Square Garden, Baxter Bldg, Sanctum_Sanctorum, UN Complex, Bridges, Skyspheres, Helicarrier and original Maps by tommyboy. Maps put together from Irrationals parts.

Helicarrier Map put together by GogglesPizanno

Many thanks to Stumpy for writing Python code which did the basic population of the megamap. Without him, this would not have happened.

Thanks too go to Conduit for telling me how to increase the view distance, allowing for the whole map to be seen.

Thanks also go in no particular order to OW_TIOBE_SB, GogglesPizanno, Lunarman, cmdrkoenig67, Boalt92, catwhowalksbyhimself, herodad1, Epimethee and others whom I may have forgotten, who all offered advice, information, ideas and encouragement during the process.
My thanks to everyone else who posted encouraging comments or suggestions, it all helps.

Installation:
This is a self contained Mod. Just put the Maps folder in your FFv3r directory and create an ffx enabled shortcut ie ""C:\programfiles\freedom force vs 3rd reich\ffvt3r.exe" -game maps -log".
Your install path may be different from that example, if so adjust accordingly.
Then run the game from the shortcut and the maps will be use-able in the rumble room.

N.B. ALWAYS BACKUP FILES BEFORE OVERWRITING OR MERGING DATS!!!11!!!!
To put the map(s) into another Mod or the main game is a bit trickier. Depending on the map you want,
You need to copy:
the mission file(s) from "\maps\missions"
the terrain files from "\maps\art\library\terrain"
the art assets from FF from "\maps\art\library\area_speciff1"
The new buildings from "\maps\art\library\area_specific\city\buildings"
The textures from "\maps\art\library\area_specific\_textures"
the characters from "\maps\art\library\characters"
You also need to merge "objects.dat" from the Maps Mod into your own Mod or the main game.

cripp12

Quote from: tommyboy on February 26, 2009, 03:39:20 PM

If you don't know how to create a shortcut, Google is your friend, not me.

but I want to be your friend.

Thanks Tommy!

Johnny Patches

25,521 loaded up just fines  :thumbup:
its F@*#$&^$%^# big DUDE!!
man i never seen anything like this  :thumbup:
now ill start playing  :ffvstr:  :lol:

EDIT: i used speedsters to rome around to get to the end is unbelieable

M25

Played with it a bit... it takes a while to load and then another while for all of the scripts to initialize, but once they do, it runs surprisingly well.  I had to turn off object shadows, crank up the clipping distance, and I think the custom AI does need a tweak to work with that many objects, but... wow... that's impressive tommyboy.

GogglesPizanno

Well as I feared, my little laptop ALMOST has the juice to run it... It plays, but its stuttery (like M25 mentioned, shadows enabled absolutely kills it for me).

That said, "big" doesn't do it justice, just getting a character into the park and dropping the camera down and looking around and feeling like you are in a city was really cool. Wow indeed.

Gremlin

Quote from: cripp12 on February 26, 2009, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: tommyboy on February 26, 2009, 03:39:20 PMIf you don't know how to create a shortcut, Google is your friend, not me.
but I want to be your friend.

Don't bother, he's a jerk. :P

Downloading now...this is gonna be FUN. Thanks, Tommy!

djfredski

dfredski

Torch

Thanks!  Great work!  And until tommyboy gives up modding for Freedom Force, Make Mine Marvel!  :thumbup:

tommyboy

Quote from: Torch on March 04, 2009, 02:37:45 AM
Thanks!  Great work!  And until tommyboy gives up modding for Freedom Force, Make Mine Marvel!  :thumbup:
Thanks, and welcome to the community.

djfredski

:angry: tommy for some reason my screen come up dark and nothing happen when trying to run the maps.
any help! :huh:
dfredski

Xenolith

I'm going to run Battle of the Celestials.  All I'm sayin.  :)

tommyboy

Quote from: djfredski on March 04, 2009, 11:43:18 PM
:angry: tommy for some reason my screen come up dark and nothing happen.
any help! :huh:

At what stage?
Did you get the loading bar?
Did it count up through 25000 or so objects being loaded?
Did this just happen with one map? Did any of the others in the Mod work work?
The more information you give, the more likely it is that I can help you.
Like, system specs, including memory, video card and so forth.

djfredski

the mode loaded all the way, but before the mode start to play it seem to stop at that point.
all i get is a dark screen.
may be i don't have the  memory to run the mode.
the marvel NY.
I will try one of the other. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
dfredski

djfredski

dfredski

style

The Ultimate Fan!

tommyboy

cripp12

Quote from: style on March 26, 2009, 10:20:54 PM
Mines load up but everythings dark?

the map might be off center after it loads. That happened to me but it was to slow to move it back.

fractal

Tommyboy you mentioned that you were going to work on  :ff: versions of these maps. Since you are cutting back on meshing is that still going to happen? No pressure to do so just curious. If not any idea on what would need to be done to convert them to  :ff:?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

And when I find my way back,
The fact is I just may stay, or I may not
I've acquired quite a taste
For a well made mistake

"No hay banda! There is no band. It is all an illusion... "

Cdub

Quote from: Gremlin on February 19, 2009, 12:44:46 AM
Or Superman fighting Doomsday.

You've got you universes mixed up.

Anyways, great map can't wait to download it.

And is this the project you said you'd be taking a meshing break for?
[IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/Wallan100/Untitled.png[/img]
"Go ahead and shoot me. I CAN'T DIE ANYWAYS!"

tommyboy

nope, this isn't "the project".
I'll get around to packaging and uploading the FF megamap in the next week or two. I'm embarrassed to admit it had been forgotten by me...such a short attention span...
anyway, I hope, within a week or two to get the FF version up.