News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Batman the Animated Series or The Batman?

Started by Xenolith, February 16, 2009, 11:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which series do you prefer?  

Batman the Animated Series
67 (91.8%)
The Batman
6 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Xenolith

I finished Batman the Animated Series and have started The Batman.  I like The Batman better, but I know many folks have a special spot in their heart for the other.  I'm just curious about what you all think?

steamteck

I feel for you. You are obviously delusional. Please  report to a professional your preference and submit yourself for treatment. :closedeyes:

BentonGrey

Xenolith......I....I....never speak to me again.  We can't have our forums polluted with obvious crazies like you.

Spoiler
Just to be absolutely clear, I don't actually hate you.  That is completely unconscionable, though. ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

It's the sign! This proves it! The world is coming to an end! Quick, hide the women! :ph34r:

Spoiler
I understand that different people have different view points, but I'll have to agree with Benton on this one. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BWPS

Maybe he was kidding, I mean he didn't vote. That's it for sure. Because... The Batman isn't as good. I could believe someone might prefer Batman Beyond MAYBE, but THE? THE has nothing on Batman!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Gremlin

Well...I like calling him "the Batman" more, but that's it. The acting alone makes it about a bajillion times cooler.

detourne_me

The Brave and The Bold is pretty good too.
but original TAS was just amazing.

Volsung

aaah, the first two-face, or clay face episodes^^
or the 'Almost Got 'Im' one^^
That was so great :)

Stuff  hosted by the courtesy of http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/

Xenolith

Nope, not kidding at all.   :D  Part of the problem may be that I started with the JLA/JLU, then went to Superman, and finished with Batman the Animated Series.  BtAS was on the air while I was in college (translated: I didn't watch it) so I think I'm missing that nostalgic feeling that some folks have. 

It could be that I'll hate The Batman by the end of season 5, but I'm only two episodes into season 2 and I think the episodes are fun.  I'd rank Superman and JLA/JLU above The Batman.

Gremlin

Quote from: Xenolith on February 17, 2009, 02:02:06 PM
Nope, not kidding at all.   :D  Part of the problem may be that I started with the JLA/JLU, then went to Superman, and finished with Batman the Animated Series.  BtAS was on the air while I was in college (translated: I didn't watch it) so I think I'm missing that nostalgic feeling that some folks have. 

It could be that I'll hate The Batman by the end of season 5, but I'm only two episodes into season 2 and I think the episodes are fun.  I'd rank Superman and JLA/JLU above The Batman.

Possibly, but unlike other television shows of the past, Batman: TAS is one of the few shows to live up to what you remember it to be. Also, Superman was a PHENOMENAL show. Not nearly as good as Batman: TAS, but it was still fantastic.

Alaric

I think TAS may well have been the best Batman ever. This has nothing to do with nostalgia- it was not by any means the first televised, or even animated, version of the character I ever watched. I just think it was the best done. The creators drew from every period of Batman's comic book existence to create the definitive version of the character. Even his voice was perfect- the only time he's ever sounded right to me. And the dark, stylized version of Gotham City- drawing from a combination of early Batman, late Golden Age Batman, and various more modern versions- just perfect.

Didn't think much of the Batman episodes from the Superman/Batman cartoon, though. For one thing, I thought the villain redesigns, while perhaps scarier, were less distinctive.

As for The Batman, while I like the name (though I'd have rather seen that name used for a live-action, black and white "film noir"-ish Batman series based in the '30s), the episodes I saw didn't leave any stong feelings one way or the other, to be honest.
Fear the "A"!!!

docdelorean88

Before i start my rampageing, let me put on my bullet proof vest. I'll say the batman. Batman TAS has got to be one of the worst animated series i have ever seen. I cant stand the animation(everything is too squared), i found the story lines too over the top, and i just didn't like the batman himself in that. I think it was just overall too many quiet pan over scenes, not enough dialogue.
On the other side The Batman was indeniably cheesy. I found most of the villains well made and well designed. But, never the less, it was cheesy.
You want my favorite animated batman, fine. I'll say JLA/JLU, then The Batman, then Batman Beyond, then Super Friends, and last though somehow not least, Batman TAS.

Okay, all of my keflar is on. Fire away.

P.S. Superman TAS was (for me) the polar opposite of Batman TAS. Superman TAS, one heck of a show!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

I...don't know what to say to that.  Is it possible to respond to such blatant irrationality with rationality?  If so, I can't manage it. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Gremlin

Okay. Stop right there. Watch this.

The characterization of the villains in Batman: TAS is stellar. Each villain felt unique, not just because they each had their own gimmick but because each schtick was so well-developed it was true madness. For instance, check out Batman: TAS Mr. Freeze versus the Batman's. To say nothing of the Joker. (Forgive me if I could've picked a much better TB Joker, but seriously, he can't hold a candle to Hamil.)

docdelorean88

I think the Hamil front is what i forgot. That character made Batman The Animated Series. I will forwardly give it that. Mark Hamil is the best Joker in the world, as is the guy who did the voice of batman in that and JLA/U. There is also Harley Quinn who originated on Batman TAS. That was ground breaking. The Mr. Freeze comparison did nothing for me either. Both are TERRIBLY corny, but The batman's Freeze looks so freakin cool(if you'll parden the punn). Also i have taken out the "worst animated series i have ever seen. However i still stand my ground. The Batman was fantastic. (But just to give you something to use against me, Batman vs Dracula had to be called the quality of Batman and Robin, in animated format. Not so cheesy, just bad.)

BentonGrey

TAS Mr. Freeze corny!?!?!  *collapses in paroxysm*  He's one of the most tragic and compelling of comic book villains!
God Bless

detourne_me

I believe Timm and Dini won an emmy for the first episode with mr. freeze.

steamteck

This is madness!

I too prefer  Superman TAS to Batman TAS and way prefer the TAS Batman from JLA/JLU  but....I find The Batman so bad to be basically unwatchable. They change characters just to change them and in every instance I've seen make them much worse. Even my kids couldn't take it after awhile.

jtharris86

I have to go with The Batmen as well. Batman TAS has always been one of my least favorite;however, I liked JLA/JLU version of Batman and I did I mention I LOVE Superman TAS. (Runs for cover... got to watch out for those snipers).   :P

cmdrkoenig67

Batman TAS....The series was beautiful in design, story and execution...And this is coming from somebody who is not a fan of Batman (I have never been and I'm still not, but I just love those Timm Batman cartoons)....I don't think it will ever be topped...Justice League is a close second, though(IMHO).

"The Batman" series is one of the worst offenders of bad character design (the Joker and Riddler to name two...Just horrible)...I also found the stories to be a bit lame...I just couldn't get into the show. 

Plus...Batman with claws is not Batman, it's...Well...Darkclaw.

Dana

Gremlin

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 19, 2009, 07:26:03 AMPlus...Batman with claws is not Batman, it's...Well...Darkclaw.

Dana

Actually, I'm gonna have to say I'm cool with claws. They're very utilitarian and intimidating. They assist in wall climbing, offense, his gloves are probably metal-lined so he can catch blades without hurting himself. Come on, you have to admit that if his hands weren't protected beyond the fabric, batarangs would be the most idiotic weapon ever. He'd slice his own hands off.

Speaking of which, I like TAS's gadgets more. They're crazy, but not too crazy--there was an episode of TB where Catwoman used a batarang shaped remote control to make a bat-robot go crazy in the Batcave. TAS wasn't a sci-fi; the gadgets were all very practical, which made the show feel very real.

zuludelta

B:TAS was very good, especially the first season. And the voice-acting is some of the best I've heard on a weekly cartoon this side of The Simpsons. I think the quality of the writing took a serious hit by the 3rd season, though (when the show was re-titled The New Batman Adventures).

As for The Batman... I find that it's an okay show. I think it gets a lot of undeserved flak for not being B:TAS, but that show was a real hard act to follow, even all these years later. Viewed on its own merits, I think The Batman's writing is age-appropriate and solid (if unremarkable), the animation is much more fluid than most children's TV cartoon fare (and dare I say it, technically more accomplished than even its predecessor's), and outside of some very questionable design decisions (Rasta-Joker, for one), I think the show's designers have done a decent job of creating their own distinct visual style without falling prey to the tendency to stick with what has gone before.

I may not like Jeff Matsuda's character designs, but I laud him for moving away from the "Bruce Timm House of Design" and going his own route. The "Timm-look" in animation only ever looks right to me when Timm has a hand in the production or direction of the show... in the hands of other producers and directors, attempts to ape Timm's aesthetic (without it being balanced by Timm's excellent sense of movement and timing) usually end up looking gimmick-y and ho-hum.
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

BentonGrey

Okay, just to clarify, you CANNOT judge B:TAS based on its "third season."  The New Batman Adventures were terrible compared to what came before, and they weren't actually contiguous.  They are pretty much the only blight on the Timmverse.  It should be excised from all reasoned discussions of the material.
God Bless

bearded

i loved the third season.  especially the sprang homage episode.  why isn't the brave and the bold an option?  so far, that would be a good contender vs timm.
anyone watch the gotham girls shows?

zuludelta

Quote from: bearded on February 19, 2009, 11:18:52 PManyone watch the gotham girls shows?

Those were the web-broadcasts, right (unless they also made TV versions which I'm unaware of)?

They should have spun that off into its own full-fledged show. Maybe it could have found a following with young female viewers (along with the obvious male comic book fan contingent, of course).
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

Xenolith

Brave and the Bold was not an option because I didn't know anything about it.  :( 

I just finished watching The Batman episode "Swamped."  I love the cajun Killer Croc.  I think the character designs are very good.  It is over the top action, but its okay with me.  Afred is a riot.

BtAS is definately true to the source.  BTW, the Sprang/Miller tribute was in the fourth season unless there was one I had forgotten about in season 3.  I just watched it earlier this week.

BentonGrey

Season 4 is what I meant then, it's the one where they changed everything and the writing took a nosedive.
God Bless

bat1987

BTAS by far, although The Batman improved in later seasons.

I liked even the 4 season, it had some great episodes:
Legends of the dark knight (loved the DKR part)
Mad Love
Over the edge etc.

deano_ue

sorry but the answer is simple, TAS hands down. any other thought in your head you should be beaten with a very large shoe

docdelorean88

Go ahead, smack away! I hate to say it, i got a really thick head. Me is Stubborn. Which brings me to a question, Am you Bizarro's Mommy?