News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Batman the Animated Series or The Batman?

Started by Xenolith, February 16, 2009, 11:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which series do you prefer?  

Batman the Animated Series
67 (91.8%)
The Batman
6 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Glitch Girl

I think the simplistic design was out of necessity more than anything.  They get a whopping 5 minutes or less to establish that this is the mirror universe where good is evil and all the heroes and villains have analogs.  While they get more screen time with Owlman and Red Hood, the rest have to be recognizable to the viewer who may not be as familiar with Red Tornado, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle (good grief that's a lot of colors) and others outside of the one or two episodes they appeared in during the season. 

Seriously, Bats, Red Hood, and Silver Cyclone are the stars of this episode.  The rest is just icing. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

Yeah, but I would argue that there are ways of doing that without just being cheap about it with a palette swap. All you really had to do was take the basic design of Blue Beetle, for instance, change the logo, change a few minor costume details and give his eyes a more menacing look. Evil Blue Beetle, Bam! Plus, keeping the original blue tones for the character actually HELP kids recognize these heroes, they'll notice colors well before they notice a different shoulderpad shape.

BentonGrey

Precisely.  I understand the restrictions that they are working with, but I don't think that is really a good enough excuse.  They could have done better, but they only did what they always do.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Xenolith

I'm nearly done with The Batman season 3, which changed the theme music and introduced (The) Batgirl.  The series has taken a dip in quality.  Not so much because of those changes, but because the show has deviated away from The Batman doing stuff.  Now all he does is fight, stand menacingly, and drive his car.  More often than not, The Batgirl is the main character.  I do like the interaction between The Batgril and The Batman, but its not enough to offset the absense of The Batman in the stories.

marhawkman

The main thing I liked about TAS was the art style, that was simply beyond awesome. The Batman has good stoies, but the art just sucks in comparison.

John Jr.

Batman TAS had better art and far better stories and characterization IMHO. It was more faithful to the comics version and one of the best Joker version ever. The Batman was irregular, some good episodes, some awful. I liked the design of the main characters, specially Bats and the Justice Leaguers, but hated the villains...The Joker was horrible.

thalaw2

革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

Checkmate

B:TAS, if only because I just can't accept Bruce Wayne with a pointy chin.

marhawkman

Good point.  He just doesn't look right with the chin.

JeyNyce

B:TAS is the best out of the two, but that doesn't The Batman was that bad.  IMO, they messed up the villains and THAT was made the show so weak.  Poison Ivy was a teenager, Joker was not Joker.  The Riddler looked like Marlyn Manson (and he was best out of all of them).
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Spe-Dog

Um...how is it wrong to state a PREFERENCE?
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

marhawkman

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BWPS

Quote from: Spe-Dog on August 29, 2010, 06:48:44 PM
Um...how is it wrong to state a PREFERENCE?
It's morally wrong on a personal level to feel that something with a high moral, intrinsic value (in this case Batman: The Animated Series) is somehow less valuable than something of less or no intrinsic moral value (in this case The Batman, who fought Dracula)

Where's the face that makes me not seem serious....  :P
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Spe-Dog

At the risk of getting my head lopped off, I chose Batman: TAS.  The first season or two of The Batman, was okay, but once they changed the theme song and brought in Batgirl it seemed like they lighten up a bit and the stories got sillier.  Lighter is not always a bad thing, but the overall quality seemed to dip a bit and it seemed to remind me a bit of the 60's TV show for some reason.  Aside from the episode, Artifacts, it really didn't seem worth my time, even with the near constant stream of guest stars they had in the final season.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker