News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Champions Online

Started by RTTingle, February 09, 2009, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I think it depends... the game has a target lock system, so he'll spin as you go around him(so you probably can't just go behind his back to avoid close range shots), but if you run back as he's punching he'll miss. Blasts I think you can dodge that way, though it's hard to tell... my game lags a bit so I can't always tell if something has missed or not.

Xenolith

There is a lot more hitting than missing.  As Tomato said though, you can move away from a hand to hand attack.  It's pretty rare that a barrier will protect you from ranged attacks because the enemies just move around it, but you can do it.  Basically, if you can hi the target, the target will hit you.  Some powers, like 'Matos flames, "cling" to opponent and continue to damage the foe even after the shooting is done. My munitions character pretty much has to blast away and take the punishment, too.

Valandar

I should note that right now power choice seems TEN times more important than choosing how to improve your character. The two-gun attack power, for example, is LOTS more damage than the Force's "Hold and charge" power.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

WLKCONSULTING

I have pre-ordered Champions and have played the Beta with a beta key they give out via Game stop...I was excited about this game after seeing the demo vids...You can imagine a dream come true, but after actually playing I must say that Im disapointed. YES it is only a beta and many improvements will be made before official release, but I was expecting a better fighting system...Its really off and the timing of your hits is terrable amoung other things...I was expecting it to be really real time and responsive like FF but on steroids..Its not..
They are trying to pull off a real time fighting system, but its still delaying, plus when you hit a guy, you want to see him fly..when you fire a missle at people, you want to see them go flying as well..not hit point numbers and a flinch..Im still hanging in there hopeing all this will be fixed in the end...
......However the character creater tool is the best Ive ever seen...Hands down the best ever and expandable. Would be cool if they did this for FF some day...

Tomato

Um... I get comparing Champions to CO or MUA in that the gameplay can be related to both, but the only measure by which Champions is related to Freedom Force AT ALL is the fact that both are Superhero based games. Freedom Force allows you to create models and textures to create characters that are entirely yours, should you desire it... Champions gives you preset tools that you can pick from to make something not-entirely-unlike your character. Freedom Force allowed you to move an entire team to different places on a map to accomplish your goals, using primarily a series of mouse clicks... Champions gives you control of one character at a time, immersing you in the character.

I apologize if I seem a little rude, but I find the idea that "FF's customization system needs to be like CO" or "needs to be like the sims" or "needs to be like ____" gets a little irritating when the truth of the matter is, were freedom force to use that kind of customization system I wouldn't have come back to it as much as I have, nor would most of us in all likelihood. And even if we did, how can there be a C6 or an AA or a TUE when all you're doing is using pieces other people made? At the end of the day, a Champions-like system can only do so much towards making a certain character, whereas with FF I can do everything how I like, right down to the chest symbol.

MJB

I, MJB, was invited into the early closed-beta version of CO. I, MJB, tested CO as often as it was available. I, MJB, soon discovered that CO was not fun. I, MJB, felt that CO was an attempt at Super-WoW (ie take WoW and slide in super heroes). The WoW-ness was hard to get past.

I, MJB, will not be subscribing to CO.

End message.

Tomato

I, Tomato, do not see much similarity other then the fact that both are first person. I, Tomato, think your post is teh crazy.

MJB

To each his own. I did not appreciate the "crazy" comment BTW. >.>

Tomato

Quote from: MJB on August 22, 2009, 07:48:41 AM

... you mean you're not? Get with the times man, all us gamers are crazy psychopaths in hiding!

Reepicheep

Quote from: Tomato on August 22, 2009, 09:23:36 AM
Quote from: MJB on August 22, 2009, 07:48:41 AM

... you mean you're not? Get with the times man, all us gamers are crazy psychopaths in hiding!

I resent that. I'm a perfectly sane psychopath.

UnfluffyBunny

i has a very important qwestionings!
are US and EU servers seperate? >_> if so then no thank you sir, if not then i'll happily drop the lifetime subscription sometime in the next week

Uncle Yuan

That's just because all your best MMORPG buddies are on the other side of the pond.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Talavar

WoW is first person?  When did they change that?

Tomato

Quote from: Talavar on August 22, 2009, 04:18:02 PM
WoW is first person?  When did they change that?

I meant that the camera comes right behind you as opposed to above the fray like in FF... Shush you, I was tired last night.  <_<  :P

Tortuga

Third person over the shoulder (CO and WoW) as opposed to isometric (FF).

There are certain aspects of CO I'm enjoying and others I find very obtrusive.

Enjoying:
-nifty choices of travel powers early on
-character creator
-combat
-I like the boosts that you get from defeating enemies, as opposed to holding on to inspirations.  It feels more realistic, like an adrenaline rush mid-combat.  That said, I also like being able to give myself a big boost in CoH/V before tackling an enemy that I know is particularly nasty.

Not enjoying:
-I prefer the 'realistic' graphics of CoH/V
-some navigating issues and mission bafflement
-all the ways Cryptic ripped themselves off...that tutorial/intro mission, the war walls, enemy names and types are often direct copies of CoH/V concepts.  Don't these guys have more than one original idea?  Even the sound fx of powers and enemies are the exact same sound files from CoH/V.
-the overload of info....I have no idea what any of those rewards I get mean, and all the nit-picky details about my powers...I just don't want to have to sift through all that info.
-the keyboard layout for certain controls...hitting Z for contacts instead of just being able to click on them is really annoying, so is hitting Shift to block
-as much as the power selection and character progression has more freedom, there are a lot of things I expected to be in there that aren't.

I was hoping CO would come to Xbox 360 right away and that it would be an enjoyable co-op experience (my brother was interested in it too).  But for co-op play, there are WAY better games out there (Crackdown, Saints Row 2, and a whole bunch set to come out in the next 6 months).

Tomato

see, I don't bother with the keyboard... I use my 360 controller and occasionally hit the "T" button.

Also, anyone else notice some... odd choices for characters? I mean, I've come to expect coming across Batman or Spiderman, but I haven't as yet (or I've become so used to it I don't notice anymore) but I have seen Sarah Palin and Lara Croft.

UnkoMan

Alright, I tried it.
To discover that my spotty wireless makes it ridiculous to play. But I pushed through the tutorial anyhow. That group mission was weird. And when I ran over it was almost done anyhow. I thought I had at least put down some enemies, but I totally had a 0 by my name when it was over, whatever that means. Still it was checked as completed. I didn't really have to do anything. It was all kinda weird.

Still, I really dig the look. At first I didn't think I would, but now that it's down I like it a lot more than CoH.

But I still can't say enough about the gameplay yet. Throwing objects I found sorta weird. A lot of things are sort of weird. Like the energy builder power seems to just automatically continuously go off or something. I dunno. Like I said, my spotty wireless made it really confusing. If I get myself a better connection I would be down for this game.

Really, though, I just wish I could resize logos. I can't make Unko Man right unless I can get his giant U.

PS: I am sick of seeing Dragon Ball Z characters. And why do these always have such lousy haircuts for dudes? blah blah blah.

electro

360 controller is the way to go but, there are still problems with it that need to be addressed & am forced to do certain things with the keyboard & mouse - All in all i'm fairly pleased with how this is progressing & it will be fun to see this game grow threw the years - My only grips so far are lack of console news - My comp is starting to show it's age & half to turn down the graphics a bit to play & am not willing to shell out more money to upgrade just to play this game at full capacity :blink:

Tomato

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 22, 2009, 05:36:43 PM
Like the energy builder power seems to just automatically continuously go off or something.

I think it goes off if you can't use whichever power you're trying to use... if you're out of energy or something.

JeyNyce

Still playing the training levels, I'll get back to you later.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on August 22, 2009, 03:35:46 PM
That's just because all your best MMORPG buddies are on the other side of the pond.

actually only about half of em, it's just some wont play unless it's a combined server or we can play on the american server, there was much dissapointment to learn that an MMO i've been in beta for is actually IP locking europeans from playing on american servers (but is allowing asia? @_@)

Xenolith

The war walls go away once you are through the tut and crisis zones.  then, it's a wide open world until you hit the edge of the map.  :)

captmorgan72

Trying Champions Online and not sure what to think. I have never played CoH before so I can't compare it to that. It doesn't run very smooth on my aging system on default and that's not good. The graphics are just ok, nothing special. I realize that they are going for a comic book look, but with this I thought it would run sooo much smoother. World of Warcraft ran silky smooth on my system back when I played that and it looked better graphically than Champions I think. I know many frown upon creating already established characters but I just couldn't help myself. I like to call them tribute characters. Here are two of mine, first up is Iron Avenger http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/IronAvenger.jpg and Green Goliath http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/Green.jpg

In game I had a couple people say "oh how original" and a couple say "cool Iron Man or cool Hulk". Some like some don't. :lol:

Tomato

Quote from: captmorgan72 on August 23, 2009, 03:37:12 PM
Trying Champions Online and not sure what to think. I have never played CoH before so I can't compare it to that. It doesn't run very smooth on my aging system on default and that's not good. The graphics are just ok, nothing special. I realize that they are going for a comic book look, but with this I thought it would run sooo much smoother. World of Warcraft ran silky smooth on my system back when I played that and it looked better graphically than Champions I think. I know many frown upon creating already established characters but I just couldn't help myself. I like to call them tribute characters. Here are two of mine, first up is Iron Avenger http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/IronAvenger.jpg and Green Goliath http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/Green.jpg

In game I had a couple people say "oh how original" and a couple say "cool Iron Man or cool Hulk". Some like some don't. :lol:

The problem isn't so much that they frown on it, it's that it's not allowed... part of the documentation you agree to when you install the game. The administrators don't really care as such mind you, but having too many of those characters in the game opens them up to serious lawsuit, especially by Marvel.

My advice? Play with the character creator, take screenshots to show off, but don't actually use the characters. We have DCUO coming eventually anyway, so if I want to do DC characters... I can wait.

Midnite

Did anyone notice the XP nerf they did in the latest patch.  :thumbdown:

JeyNyce

Okay, I played it and it's good, but it's not all that.  It feels a lot like COH/V which is not a bad thing.  The comic looking graphics are nice, for a while, but after a while it starts to mess with you eyes.  Also there is way too much reading going on.  Most people want to go in and play not read.  The one thing I do like about it is the pricing.  $199 for a lifetime is great.  I wish COH would do that.  Anyway, I don't think I'll be getting this.  I'll wait for AION & Star Wars: Old Republic
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

captmorgan72

Quote from: Tomato on August 23, 2009, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on August 23, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

The problem isn't so much that they frown on it, it's that it's not allowed... part of the documentation you agree to when you install the game. The administrators don't really care as such mind you, but having too many of those characters in the game opens them up to serious lawsuit, especially by Marvel.

My advice? Play with the character creator, take screenshots to show off, but don't actually use the characters. We have DCUO coming eventually anyway, so if I want to do DC characters... I can wait.

Wait, are you saying that using the tribute heroes I created is unlawful? I didn't read the doc prior to installing (does anyone really read those?). I have been using nothing but those characters and so far nobody has told me I am in violation of any agreements or rules.

Uncle Yuan

Tributes or frank copies?  COH went through a whole thing with Marvel over this.  In the end essentially you could do something that looks like a particular character, but the name could not be too derivative.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

electro

Tribute characters will be made but, it's best to stay away from this list "less you be banned"
No No toons.....

Justice league, Spider-Man, Avengers original team

Other than these you'll be fine as long as you name them something original - I made an Armadillo character from marvel already with tunnel travel power *yeay* - to bad the tunnel travel power is so darn fast - It should be half my running speed, not double :blink:

captmorgan72

I went ahead and made an original character just to avoid any problems. I would hate to level up a tribute character only to have to delete him/her. I also went back and read the terms of agreement carefully and yes, you are not suppose to use copy written characters. I gave my Hulk the name Green Goliath but he was obviously the Hulk. Oh well, anyway I like my original now anyway.