Heroes Volume Four

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, February 01, 2009, 09:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

I should point out that we are about at the point where the old head writer came back from Pushing Daisies, where he said the plot was going astray again, but he would work on righting it.  So we may see some improvement up ahead.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

stumpy

Monday's Ep: Mixed bag again, but this was an improvement, I'd say.
Spoiler

For one thing, seeing Lionel Luthor as Sylar Senior was a real ray of hope. I hope he's not a one-off because he brought a real flavor in the first few seasons of Smallville (when I watched it). How did Sylar Senior know so much about Sylar's killing spree? Was that just a like-father-like-son guess, or maybe Sylar has been in the news? I will say that it seemed like Sylar Senior would have tried something more subtle than just trapping Junior and stealing his power. He seemed manipulative enough that he could have gotten Sylar to volunteer the power with a little coaxing. And, as I recall, the blood of superhealers provides one-time healing, or at least Claire's  does...

I will admit that the comic shop scene with the nerds wiping the drool from their mouths was half annoying and half hilarious. The general Claire arc isn't really in a bad place, and anything beats the "I wish I didn't have a cool super power" whining of the first couple seasons.

I am getting a little tired of the back-and-forth between Denko and Nathan. I'm not saying they have to reveal his power right now or kill him or anything, but that storyline needs some advancement that isn't just a disagreement on how to run their little operation or unsubtle feints as each tries to suss out the others skeletons. On the other hand, I like Momtrelli, despite the oyster thing, so I can wait this out. But, the writers should know by now that a whole season of buildup and characters advancing then regrouping is just tedious.

I am glad to see Hiro back, though I am not really interested in the Parkbaby arc. I am assuming this is the kid he had with his first wife, right? Meh.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Alaric

I honestly don't understand why this season is getting so much negativity here. It's still by far my favorite season so far. The focus seems tighter than in any previous season, which I think works really well for the series.
Fear the "A"!!!

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm enjoying it too.  It certainly isn't perfect, but it's still pretty good.

thanoson

I just want to know why people do such obvious things in front of cameras or say things on phones? I mean, seriously.
Spoiler
What would have happened if Nathan would have fallen to the ground and splattered? He did all this right in front of that camera. Or like people couldn't figure out he was flying off the roof when the camera shows him going out to the roof and never returning?
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

BWPS

Wow.
Way to completely stop sucking, Heroes.

The last two episodes were the best of this season. It was like watching an actual show that is moderately interesting instead of the bore-fest that was the last many before it.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

thanoson

Yep. Definately interesting.

Tomato

I have to hand it to Heroes, they've given me 3 plot twists I'm completely happy about, all within 2 episodes.

Spoiler

-Micah was revealed as Rebel, which is cool. It's not really earth shaking, but I must admit I find it hilarious that the evil government people are being completely owned by a kid.
-Ice-triplet is dead, or the superhero "Dead equals Dead" equivalent. I understand she's hot, but the writing on all fifty of her characters has been rather grating.
-Sylar is actually part of the main plot again, and he's not being whiny or emo this time. When he killed Mr. Polyjuice Potion, it wasn't because of silly trauma or an after-effect of power, it was just him wanting to kill people.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, we've gotten to the point where that returning head writer came in, which I think is part of the difference in the recent episodes.

But yeah some good plots, good character development, and good reveals in the last couple of eps.

thanoson

Spoiler
You know, I don't think that Ice Girl Tracy is dead yet. If you noticed, she blinked while shattered. Maybe she can reform?

The_Baroness

Spoiler
i noticed that... she blinked and a tear fell.... so she may reform... 

the 2 last episodes have been more interesting...

Tomato

*sigh*

Quote from: Tomato on April 01, 2009, 03:37:32 AM
Spoiler

-Ice-triplet is dead, or the superhero "Dead equals Dead" equivalent. I understand she's hot, but the writing on all fifty of her characters has been rather grating.

Podmark

Gotta say tonights episode was the first I've really enjoyed in a long time, probably since the last volume.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

catwhowalksbyhimself

The first season's careful plotting appears to be back. By that I mean that even subplots that don't seem that useful end up being a vital part of the show.  In particular, I am referring to

Spoiler
Baby Parkman's vital role in turning around Matt

This is the kind of storytelling that I enjoyed from the first season and haven't really seen since until now.

The ending also has me mighty curious.

stumpy

Just watched the last two episodes. Good stuff.

Spoiler
I am impressed by the writers knowing just how much damage a shape shifter can cause. As a plot device (assuming they show some discipline against over-using it), it adds a whole new dimension to Sylar without directly making him too uber.

BTW, since he can turn on and off machinery and he turned on Hiro's power, are we to assume that Parkman's son, Parkboy, can turn off people's powers, as well?

Just following on an earlier comment, I am among those who don't think Ali Larter's most recent character is actually gone. They were very deliberate in showing us that she wasn't.

My one disappointment is just that HRG is smarter than he was shown to be when he confronted Sandra. Knowing that a shape-shifter was running around, he would have at least done some checking to see whether his actual wife had left the west coast before rushing in and pulling a gun on her. He has the ability to check if she used Sandra's credit cards to rent the hotel room, if that's her real cell phone, etc. He is a lot more cautious than that. And, frankly, he is smarter than to believe Denko formed a partnership with Sylar and then Denko would immediately out Sylar.

But, it's a minor annoyance, since the point is to get HRG back with the extended Petrelli group and, presumably, with Mohinder and whoever else joins them.

The show does have me happy to anticipate how Hiro, Ando, Parkman, and Parkboy are going to work their way into the plot and whether they will meet up with Rebel soon.

Looking forward to Monday nights again.  :)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

thalaw2

Spoiler
I hope they don't keep the baby around for long.  I'm not a fan of babies in any TV series except Muppet Babies and most of them were toddlers.

Since when did babies not like the feel of a moving car? 
革命不会被电视转播

stumpy

Spoiler
Quote from: thalaw2 on April 08, 2009, 08:52:59 AMI hope they don't keep the baby around for long.  I'm not a fan of babies in any TV series except Muppet Babies and most of them were toddlers.

I tend to agree. Nothing against babies, but they don't really make for great television.

And, it would seem like Janice (Parkboy's mom) would sort of want the baby back pretty soon.

BTW, the woman playing Janice always reminds me of one of the girls on Seinfeld who George dated. She's the one who used to "yada yada yada" her stories to hide interesting tidbits, such as the fact that she was shoplifting.

Quote from: thalaw2 on April 08, 2009, 08:52:59 AMSince when did babies not like the feel of a moving car? 

Dunno. Maybe when we started strapping them in backwards in the back seat, where they can't see Mom or Dad?  :unsure:

captmorgan72

Spoiler
I could have sworn that I saw HRG smirk when he left after he confronted Sandra. This would tell me that he was Sylar.

Spring Heeled Jack

The writing is so contrived.

I keep watching the show, waiting for something that will really turn it around, but it's always lacking. I can't even put my finger on it. Sorry to be the minority opinion, but this show is weak and inconsistent.

The Hitman

Quote from: Spring Heeled Jack on April 08, 2009, 11:56:36 AM
The writing is so contrived.

I keep watching the show, waiting for something that will really turn it around, but it's always lacking. I can't even put my finger on it. Sorry to be the minority opinion, but this show is weak and inconsistent.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean it to sound harsh, but...

If you don't like the show, and the way it's going, stop watching it.

Tortuga

Definitely getting better.

Spoiler
Bennet and Sylar are back to being enemies, and most of the heroes are focused on one mystery/conflict.  Enough of all those extra folks, just keep the story focused like this and this season may end decently.

Spring Heeled Jack

Quote from: The Hitman on April 08, 2009, 01:40:21 PM

Not to sound harsh, but that's the least effective argument in favor of the show you could put up.

In all fairness, tell me, then, what exactly is so appealing about the show, and I'll look for it next week. I'll be watching, and I want to like the show, but it's been DOA for me for a long time now.

Tomato

Quote from: Spring Heeled Jack on April 08, 2009, 05:41:33 PM
Quote from: The Hitman on April 08, 2009, 01:40:21 PM

Not to sound harsh, but that's the least effective argument in favor of the show you could put up.

In all fairness, tell me, then, what exactly is so appealing about the show, and I'll look for it next week. I'll be watching, and I want to like the show, but it's been DOA for me for a long time now.

This probably is harsh, but actually READ what people type before you "speak", mk? Hitman was not, in any way, defending the show. He was telling you that if you didn't like it, DON'T WATCH IT EVERY WEEK.

Spring Heeled Jack

Yes, and I'm saying if he likes it, maybe he'd have some insight to share to help me reevaluate how I approach the show.

stumpy

Just to throw in two cents as someone who has been critical at times and also enjoyed the show at times... I don't see anything wrong with criticizing a show that you want to like but which doesn't live up to your expectations. I don't think there should be any surprise that most FR folks have some interest in a show like Heroes and want it to be quality.

I am liking it right now, but I think there has been plenty to criticize about the show. Not to speak for anyone else, but when I was complaining about the show's weak points, I still watched because I was hoping it would get better. I want to see good live-action superhero shows on TV. If I had lost all hope that it would, then I wouldn't watch it.

Of course, discussing a show's shortcomings can be fun, too, and there is nothing wrong with watching it just to engage in those discussions. There is no way to logically conclude that the only reason to watch a show is because the show is good on its own. There can be ancillary benefits, such as these water-cooler discussions, whether the show is living up to its potential or not. There is a show (not Heroes) that I watched pretty much only because I found an interesting group of people online who watched it and I enjoyed the interaction with them.

The Hitman

Tomato and Stumpy summed it up for me pretty nicely. I'm not saying that it's the best show ever and can do no wrong. I just think it's silly to take the time to watch a TV show that you clealy do not enjoy, just so you can voice your distain for it online. It's like buying a comic book that you hate every month just to put it down on the Internet. I understand that not all shows are for everyone, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you really don't like Heroes, and can't find a single reason to watch it, change the channel, man.

I'm dropping the subject after this post. Berate me for my opinions if you want, I can take it.

Spring Heeled Jack

stumpy

Ep 3.23

Spoiler
Just a few quick thoughts before I forget.

So, was Charles Deveaux supposed to be a mind controller? That was apparently the power he showed in last night's ep, which wasn't really hinted at earlier, when it appeared that his power was to telepathically communicate when he was dreaming.

It seems like the four of the kids at the "camp" got the idea for founding the company in 1961 and then actually pulled it together later on.

Does it strike anyone else as kinda unbelievable that a group of teenaged kids would willingly participate in some program to get rid of their powers? I mean, I know that some of them may have negative side-effects (like Angela's nightmares) or seem dangerous (like her sister's weather tantrums). But, Charles, or Robby, or Linderman? Give me a break. I wouldn't tell anyone 'official' I had those powers and I sure as heck wouldn't volunteer for a government program to "test" the powers or remove them. And what sort of ultra-naive parents would trust in something like that?

BTW, the girl who played young Angela is a really great pick - very believable as a teen Angela.

Not really a complaint, since I don't care, but the song "Crying" wasn't released until July of 1961, a couple months after it was shown in the episode as one of Angela's favorites. (I know because I looked it up when I saw the spooky Spanish language version in David Lynch's Mulholland Dr.)

On a broader note, I can't help but wonder if the attempt by the extended Petrelli clan to re-form The Company isn't a sign that they aren't really learning their lesson. People have a right to keep secrets, but coercing, killing, and mind-wiping people to do it is a flawed approach. Cover-ups just make the secrets that much bigger and attract more interest in them. Doing the wrong thing to "protect the specials" is no better than doing the wrong thing to "protect the normals".

Didn't see the "next week" previews, but if I am reading the show's direction right, I look forward to next episode. I am finding I like the Sylar-centric episodes.

The Hitman

Good episode.

Spoiler

I interpreted Shaft's power was telepathic in nature, like Matt and Maury Parkman. That'd explain the dream- walking stuff. And I can see "Bobby" wanting to get rid of his power, especially if he couldn't control it when he was younger, what with the Midas touch and all. Also, if the online comics are in continuity, Linderman was a ward of the state by his teens, so he might've just been placed there.

Spring Heeled Jack

Quote from: stumpy on April 14, 2009, 03:22:48 PM
Ep 3.23
Not really a complaint, since I don't care, but the song "Crying" wasn't released until July of 1961, a couple months after it was shown in the episode as one of Angela's favorites. (I know because I looked it up when I saw the spooky Spanish language version in David Lynch's Mulholland Dr.)

I noticed that too. :D

Young Angela was very good casting.